hexagon

Concern about the medical

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi guys, I'm new here.

We're just finishing up our I-129F package, and my only major concern is the required medical. I have a couple of problems here:

When I was a young teenager, I went through a period of depression when I was also diagnosed with anorexia. I was no older than 15 at the time.

And in the past, I have experimented with cannabis and admitted as much to my doctor.

My question is basically this: when I take the medical in London, will they be looking at my medical records, or just the vaccination records I bring them? And if they are looking at my entire medical history, is it likely my doctor would have written down what I told him about using cannabis? Also, do I need to disclose anything about the anorexia and depression, bearing in mind how young I was and that I was never treated by a psychiatrist/used any antidepressants?

I was up until 4 in the morning last night panicking about this stuff, because I know that if I'm denied the visa it's very difficult if not impossible to even enter the United States again. Any help you can give us would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by hexagon

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

They do not obtain the records from your doctor but there is quite an extensive medical questionnaire to fill in when you get there. I can't recall now what the specific questions are but they are the sort of questions you might expect about your medical history.

How you answer those questions is up to you but it does form part of your visa application and therefore should be answered truthfully. Perhaps others who recently had a medical might be able to recall the questions in more detail.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

If you admit to taking drugs of any kind in the past you will be denied and have to file a waiver, ALWAYS tell the truth to immigration.

I had depression at the age of 18, i was asked to go to a psychiatrist and get a letter saying i was ok now, you may have to do the same. They ask you about depression and drug taking on the form as well as other things.

Good luck!

Edited by Lizzy

K1

September 15 - 2005: NOA1

October: Waiting

November: Waiting

December: In Security checks

January 2006: Waiting

February: Waiting..Contacted Congress

March 4th: APPROVED

March 17th: NVC posted file to London

March 20th: London Receives file

March 29th: Receive package 3

April 13th: London Receives package

April 19th: Medical - June 13th: INTERVIEW......APPROVED!!!!

June 20th: ARRIVE IN USA

Time taken for whole process 9 Months

~~~~~ * ~~~~~

AOS

October: 13th: Sent off AOS Package

November 3rd: NOA1

November 14th: Snail mail ~ NOA1 ~ Case moved to the CSC for faster processing.

November 14th : CSC has petition for me and my daughter.

December 14th: Biometrics completed.

January 17th: APPROVED AOS!

January 22nd: Green card arrives in the mail:))

Time taken for AOS - 3.5 Months

Finished for 2 years.

dev015pb___.png

Timeline
They ask you about depression and drug taking on the form as well as other things.

I thought I could remember those sort of questions being on the form but wasn't 100% sure

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Timeline
If you admit to taking drugs of any kind in the past you will be denied and have to file a waiver, ALWAYS tell the truth to immigration.

Why would I answer truthfully if my answer is guaranteed to result in a denial?

because if you don't and it comes to light you will be refused a visa full stop. If it comes to light after you enter the US the visa I believe will subject to cancellation and you subject to deportation, as the visa is deemed to have been obtain by deception.

In all matters concerning immigration the penalties for not being 100% truthful are very onerous.

If you are truthful and the visa is denied you can file for a waiver I believe. Others will correct me if I'm wrong and you cannot get a waiver for drug use.

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

discuss those issues with the Dr. you never know the Dr. might make a decision that if it was experimental in the case of the cannabis or a one time event for the depression, they make decide it was nothing.

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It's a catch-22 situation I'm afraid, but no one here on VJ should give you advice that consists of "don't tell them about the drugs/lie to USCIS" - that would be wrong and VJ does not condone that sort of advice.

As I remember correctly, the questionnaire does ask questions about alcohol, depression and drug use.

About the depression and anorexia - is it possible to get an appt with the same GP who saw you at the time? It would be best if you had a letter stating what happened in the past but that you're okay now. Better to have it an advance than have stress at the medical and scamble for it later.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

About the depression and anorexia - is it possible to get an appt with the same GP who saw you at the time? It would be best if you had a letter stating what happened in the past but that you're okay now. Better to have it an advance than have stress at the medical and scamble for it later.

I am in a similar position, I had a spate of depression from the middle to the end of last year, bought on by numberous things but mainly (I believe) by this process and having to leave my husband after each visit. I will be obtaining a letter from my doctor regarding the depression but was wondering if it is jumping the gun to get the letter now? I probably won't have the medical for another 4 months (my K3 has not even left USCIS yet) so is there such a thing as getting something like this "too early"?

Cheryl

06/2005 Met Josh online ~ 02/2006 My 1st visit to the US ~ 09/2006 2nd US visit (Josh proposed) ~ 02/2007 3rd US visit (married)

04/2007 K3 visa applied ~ 05/2007 Josh's 1st UK visit ~ 09/2007 4th US visit ~ 02/2008 K3 visa completed ~ 02/2008 US entry

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

04/2008 AOS/EAD filed ~ 05/2008 Biometrics ~ 06/2008 EAD recv'd ~ 08/2008 Conditional greencard

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/2010 3rd wedding anniversary ~ 06/04/2010 Apply for lifting conditions ~ 06/14 package delivered ~ 07/23 Biometrics

I am in a similar position, I had a spate of depression from the middle to the end of last year, bought on by numberous things but mainly (I believe) by this process and having to leave my husband after each visit. I will be obtaining a letter from my doctor regarding the depression but was wondering if it is jumping the gun to get the letter now? I probably won't have the medical for another 4 months (my K3 has not even left USCIS yet) so is there such a thing as getting something like this "too early"?

Hmm... it's hard to say since there aren't hard and fast rules about it. In your case, as the depression was a recent occurence, I would think it would be safer to get the letter closer to the time of the actual medical. Then you could show a longer period of being "all better" and also it would be more up to date. If it had happened a long time ago, I would think four months wasn't too early to get the letter. I'm just reasoning that out rather than actually knowing though. Does that make sense? :)

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Hmm... it's hard to say since there aren't hard and fast rules about it. In your case, as the depression was a recent occurence, I would think it would be safer to get the letter closer to the time of the actual medical. Then you could show a longer period of being "all better" and also it would be more up to date. If it had happened a long time ago, I would think four months wasn't too early to get the letter. I'm just reasoning that out rather than actually knowing though. Does that make sense? :)

Thanks MargotDarko :) That's very helpful :)

Cheryl

06/2005 Met Josh online ~ 02/2006 My 1st visit to the US ~ 09/2006 2nd US visit (Josh proposed) ~ 02/2007 3rd US visit (married)

04/2007 K3 visa applied ~ 05/2007 Josh's 1st UK visit ~ 09/2007 4th US visit ~ 02/2008 K3 visa completed ~ 02/2008 US entry

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

04/2008 AOS/EAD filed ~ 05/2008 Biometrics ~ 06/2008 EAD recv'd ~ 08/2008 Conditional greencard

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/2010 3rd wedding anniversary ~ 06/04/2010 Apply for lifting conditions ~ 06/14 package delivered ~ 07/23 Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

It's a catch-22 situation I'm afraid, but no one here on VJ should give you advice that consists of "don't tell them about the drugs/lie to USCIS" - that would be wrong and VJ does not condone that sort of advice.

As I remember correctly, the questionnaire does ask questions about alcohol, depression and drug use.

If i recall correctly, the question asks for abuse or addiction to recreational drugs. What you could do is leave it blank and discuss with the medical examiner exactly what your situation was and let them decide whether its a "yes / no " thing.

Hi guys, I'm new here.

We're just finishing up our I-129F package, and my only major concern is the required medical. I have a couple of problems here:

When I was a young teenager, I went through a period of depression when I was also diagnosed with anorexia. I was no older than 15 at the time.

And in the past, I have experimented with cannabis and admitted as much to my doctor.

My question is basically this: when I take the medical in London, will they be looking at my medical records, or just the vaccination records I bring them? And if they are looking at my entire medical history, is it likely my doctor would have written down what I told him about using cannabis? Also, do I need to disclose anything about the anorexia and depression, bearing in mind how young I was and that I was never treated by a psychiatrist/used any antidepressants?

I was up until 4 in the morning last night panicking about this stuff, because I know that if I'm denied the visa it's very difficult if not impossible to even enter the United States again. Any help you can give us would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I have Asthma....the medical officer had me have my GP write stating that my symptoms were under good control and that was the end of it....good luck!!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.