dearheart

Anyone thinking of remaining a resident somehow?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am the USC and I am regretting that I didn't become dual. I've lived in Canada for 12 years with my Canadian husband and have been extremely blessed by Canada's approach to healthcare. I would say my biggest fear or hesitation for leaving Canada is losing this wonderful healthcare. I really should have become dual, but I didn't. So as we move to the US and I am gone from Canada for more than 6 months, i lose my status here. Thankfully my husband and two children are citizens of Canada.

I am wondering if it is reasonable, possible, legal, to somehow continue being a resident by flying up here for a visit every 6 months or so. :) to be a resident we would have to continue to file tax returns in Canada... but I am wondering if in the end it would be worth it.

Has anyone else pondered this?

Marriage : 1995 - 13 years of marriage and 2 children together

Living in the USA

K3 info in timeline

2007-Nov-21: Mailed AOS/EAD

2007-Nov-29: AOS/EAD received

2007-Dec-4: Notice date

2007-Dec-11: Received NOA's via snail mail

2007-Dec-12:Received Biometrics appt

2007-Dec-21: Biometrics appt completed and USCIS "touched" applications

2008-Jan-24: EAD card ordered - received email notice from CRIS

2008-Feb-1 : EAD approval notice mailed- received email notice

2008-Feb-4 : EAD card received in mail (11 days from when it was ordered)

2008-Mar-16: Touch on I-129F - huh?

2008-May 2: Received Interview date via snail mail letter

2008-June 11: Interview at SF office - Approved!!! Green Card ordered

2008-June 23: received Green Card in mail

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I am the USC and I am regretting that I didn't become dual. I've lived in Canada for 12 years with my Canadian husband and have been extremely blessed by Canada's approach to healthcare. I would say my biggest fear or hesitation for leaving Canada is losing this wonderful healthcare. I really should have become dual, but I didn't. So as we move to the US and I am gone from Canada for more than 6 months, i lose my status here. Thankfully my husband and two children are citizens of Canada.

I am wondering if it is reasonable, possible, legal, to somehow continue being a resident by flying up here for a visit every 6 months or so. :) to be a resident we would have to continue to file tax returns in Canada... but I am wondering if in the end it would be worth it.

Has anyone else pondered this?

Can you not become a dual? I'm the USC but I have plans of becoming a dual, my Canadian husband plans on doing the same thing. The only worthwhile thing of becoming a citizen, for my husband, is not EVER having to deal with the USCIS again. Our plans are to eventually move to Nova Scotia and settle there, where my husband is from. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline

I don't know if I have time. We plan to move in November.

Living in the USA

K3 info in timeline

once I move to US, I know I stay a canadian citizen.. but if I file taxes every year even if I'm not working in Canada, does that maintain some kind of status for me? Or do I have to fly back ?

I'm just not sure what you need to do to maintain stuff in Canada... And what would you have to do to get healthcare (ONT) back and so on?

My dad's all freaking out about how I should have a baby (THAT I DON'T EVEN HAVE) IN Canada cuz I'll be covered by OHIP

:huh:

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I (the Canadian citizen) am awaiting approval of my N-400 (Naturalization application), but my husband (USC) and I intend to move back to Canada and for him to become a Canadian citizen when we retire. That way, we can choose to live in either Canada or the U.S. anytime we want.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Timeline
once I move to US, I know I stay a canadian citizen.. but if I file taxes every year even if I'm not working in Canada, does that maintain some kind of status for me? Or do I have to fly back ?

I'm just not sure what you need to do to maintain stuff in Canada... And what would you have to do to get healthcare (ONT) back and so on?

My dad's all freaking out about how I should have a baby (THAT I DON'T EVEN HAVE) IN Canada cuz I'll be covered by OHIP

:huh:

I've read that Canada taxes based on residency, not citizenship. I'm not sure if you need to come back to maintain residency or not. That is what I am curious about myself. I ordered the book about working in the US as a Canadian citizen for my husband. It will be interesting to see what it has to say.

I have definitely thought about having another baby before moving to the States. We have two already, but we are undecided on a third. I'd hate to have another just because it's "free" up here.

maybe I'll just have to call Sask health to see what the rules are. I'm also interested in seeing how long we'll be covered once my husband's job ends.

Living in the USA

K3 info in timeline

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

for you to be covered by a provincial healthcare program, you have to be a resident of Canada. A visit every 6 months or so won't cut it, I'm afraid. Most if not all provinces have residency requirements for starting/maintaining provincial coverage.

Liz, you'll always be considered a citizen of Canada, unless you write them with a request to in effect cancel your citizenship. Residency, however, is another thing. For tax purposes, I am no longer considered a resident of Canada -- you will either check off a box on next year's returns or fill out a form to let them know. if you have property, investments and other stuff that continues to earn you income you will have to file income tax returns after next year.

We're going the dual-citizenship - move back to Canada route as well.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good info Cassie!

We're also doing the dual route eventually. I'll apply for citizenship here in 3 years and then decide when we'll move back to Canada. When we do, we'll get him his Canadian PR status and then later citizenship and then, like others plan to do, we're free to live in either country and not have to deal with immigration on either side! :)

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Dearheart,

My husband is an Australian and a PR in Canada, has lived here for 8 years. We recently applied for his Canadian citizenship (takes 12-15 months btw according to the letter we received). In the course of doing this I then read that he would have still maintained his PR status as the fact that he is living with the Canadian citizen - even in another country - it's still considered 'residency'.

Now this does not equate to health care coverage, as already mentioned, as you must be physically living in the province for x number of months to be eligible.

What it does mean though is that you won't lose your PR status in Canada (from my understanding). You might want to drop them a quick email just to confirm

:)

Sorry, Canadian citizenship in itself does not make you eligible for healthcare. Healthcare eligibility is based on where you physically legally reside. It varies by province but generally they require you to be physically present in the province for 6 months of the year or at least 183 days of the year.

With that being said, just want to add the downside of the Canada's "great" health care system. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of our system in Canada but by no means is it a total blessing. My friend has just been diagnosed with a brain tumour. She is on a wait list for treatment. The tumor has grown an inch in a month and she has already had to wait a week to hear when she can be scheduled for surgery. The long waits for crucial treatment are just a reminder of the frustration people have with the Canadian system and the downside to goverment run healthcare.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Sorry, Canadian citizenship in itself does not make you eligible for healthcare. Healthcare eligibility is based on where you physically legally reside. It varies by province but generally they require you to be physically present in the province for 6 months of the year or at least 183 days of the year.

With that being said, just want to add the downside of the Canada's "great" health care system. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of our system in Canada but by no means is it a total blessing. My friend has just been diagnosed with a brain tumour. She is on a wait list for treatment. The tumor has grown an inch in a month and she has already had to wait a week to hear when she can be scheduled for surgery. The long waits for crucial treatment are just a reminder of the frustration people have with the Canadian system and the downside to goverment run healthcare.

I am sorry to hear about your friend and her problems with CDN Healthcare. This is why I will always prefer US Healthcare. If you can pay for it, you can get it done nearly immediately.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I am sorry to hear about your friend and her problems with CDN Healthcare. This is why I will always prefer US Healthcare. If you can pay for it, you can get it done nearly immediately.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend too. That's the thing, it's the 'if you can pay for it'. What about people who don't have glossy insurance and can't afford to pay, I guess they get some treatment eventually.

It's a tough thing. I don't think Canada's system is perfect by any stretch, I think it needs vast improvement, at least everyone is covered though, such as it is.

The other thing is if her friend could afford to pay, she could go to the U.S. to be treated.

Maybe in an ideal system those that could afford to pay would have access to private care in Canada, however still be required to pay in to the public system at the same rate they do now.

My Sister and her family have very good insurance in the U.S.. My Brother in law hates his job and would like to quit, however my Nephew had to have spinal surgery in January and there have been other complications from the antibiotics of all things (he is well on the road to full health again now). The thing is because this is a pre-existing condition, my brother in law can't really afford to quit his job and switch to another company - they could continue to pay for the insurance themselves at the rate of over $800 a month.

It seems to me that's a very backwards system and is intended to keep people in their places. I hope the new administration will address that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
It seems to me that's a very backwards system and is intended to keep people in their places. I hope the new administration will address that.

Healthcare has been an issue on the last 3-4 administrations plates. Clinton tried to push it hard, it didn't happen. It has also been a top "to do" for incoming or potential presidents. NO ONE has solved it. The US just isn't set for universal healthcare, it's too "dog eat dog" down here.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Filed: Other Timeline

the argument over which is better aside, it is illegal in Canada to continue to use provincial healthcare insurance if you are no longer permanently residing in Canada. Yes, people do it all the time, however, if they get caught, they will be financially liable to pay back, and/or could serve time in jail.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.