Flames9_RN

Digital Cable help

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Howdy again!! Another call for help!! Currently we have Verizon land line phone, internet, and Cox regular cable. Next Thursday were switching over everything to Cox, and our basic cable is being upgraded to the digital. Thus we require (well more of a want) a Tivo, or a tivio like device. One cant get a basic tivio for $99, plus then you have a monthly fee, which if you pay a 3 yr lump sum its like $8.90 a month. Of course Cox has something similar, but you just cant flat out buy the DVR, you rent it for $10 a month, plus pay a $5 monthly fee. I know in the long run the Tivio would probably be the better deal as one owns the machine. Are their any other "tivio" like devices on the market? I see most others have a CD, while the Tivio records to a hard drive? Any suggestions? Any one love/hate their Tivio? have a Cox DVR?? Any help is appreciated

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I had digital cable for several years so when I switched to dish I was floored. Cable can't hold a candle to the satellite and it was about 50 bucks cheaper a month. I had all the programming and cable internet. I have the same programming and AT&T DSL and am in hog heaven

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline

We own a condo, and I refuse to put a dish on my balcony!! Plus i have to write the condo board for permission etc etc

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

We own a condo, and I refuse to put a dish on my balcony!! Plus i have to write the condo board for permission etc etc

I understand, we own a condo too but the association and allowed some changes with the rules to accomidate satellite and I am very happy. I am also just so pleased with how much better quality of picture I receive with the satellite, I was totally shocked.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline

Years ago, a roommate of mine had one of the first Tivo's. I loved it and have missed it every since he moved out! The roommate was OK too, lol. And I can't tell you how many people came over to our house during that time, fell in love with Tivo and bought one of their own. Derek and I don't currently have one, and I need my Tivo fix, so let me know if you get one. And where you live.

BTW, I have seen some Tivo sales around lately at places like Best Buy and Circuit City, so I bet you can pick one up pretty cheaply.

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I have had a TiVo for about 6 years now. Several different models. You are really talking about a PVR / DVR device and then what user interface is provided to the device. On a basic level they all will record to a hard drive. For me, the most important part is the user interface and the features of the device.

IMO, TiVo provides the best interface and features. I have used DVRs from cable and satelite providers and I was not impressed. TiVo has its own personality, the way the menus look, the sounds it makes when you select items, the searching features, the Season Pass Manager, the Wish Lists, etc.

Not too long ago DIRECTV added an option to get a DVR with the TiVo interface included (as opposed to another model with their own interface). I highly recommend TiVo and can not imagine not having one.

texas101_1896_4011252.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was heartbroken to come back to the US and find out our Tivo had gotten sick and died. Tivo was like my pet. :)

We will get around to getting another one.

Timeline

I think we will go the Tivo Route. One can order them right from tivo. Same price as best buyand the others. Actually a better deal, as with bestbuy, they are priced $250, THEN $150 MAIL in rebate!! Buy it at Tivo, its already $99!! Plus if you ign up for 3 yrs, it just under$9 a month. CoX is a total of $10 a month, and ur just renting the machine. but I guess if it goes bunkers, Cox wil replace it, so that is a plus. Tivo holds 80 hrs,while cox is only 35!

Timeline

As if anyone cares (trying not to study, so i shall post away,lol) We ended up going with the Tivo and to get the cheapest possible monthly fee we went with the 3 yrs pay up front. plus that gives ya a 3 yr warranty on the machine! As well they have a special that they give you a free wireless connector, so we can tie it into our computer network. What makes it super nice is that we can send shows/movies from the Tivo to our computer to be saved on disk. Another nice feature is that one can record a show nay where on earth, as long as ya have an internet connection,which can be pretty neat. i dont know how many times we were at friends and it donned on us that we wanted to record something! And i think one of the biggest reasons we went with Tivo was all the positive remarks I read from here and other websites. Strong majority love their tivo. Cheers

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.