bellafidanzata

Young and in love

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Italy
Timeline

I'm 21, and my fiance is 23. We just got engaged and are hoping to get married next summer in Italy. Does anyone have any information for how to proceed with the whole immigration thing? He wants to get a green card and live in the States too, so if anyone has any information with how to go about getting things on the road, it would be very helpful!

Thank you!

bellafidanzata

b108750045.jpg

This is an immigration message board - of course there is information on 'how to proceed with the whole immigration thing'!

Your best place to start is comparing your visa options.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=compare

Then, once you've chosen which type of visa makes the most sense for you as a couple, follow the step by step guide. All the guides are here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=guides#

Good luck!

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Welcome to VJ!!!

My advice take a look at the guides ----------> LINK

All the information is there and will help you make a decision about what you want to do.

Good luck!!!!

Zee :)

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: Timeline
I'm 21, and my fiance is 23. We just got engaged and are hoping to get married next summer in Italy. Does anyone have any information for how to proceed with the whole immigration thing? He wants to get a green card and live in the States too, so if anyone has any information with how to go about getting things on the road, it would be very helpful!

Thank you!

bellafidanzata

b108750045.jpg

You need to file a fiancee visa for him. Make sure you document all your conversations and trips and everything else because you will need these records when it comes time for the interview. You can either file a 129f form for your fiancee by yourself or you can get an attorney to do it. Some people like to do that alone. Some have better experiences having a lawyer do it ( I wish I had an attorney do my 129f cause I messed up the paperwork.) Either way you need to get started now because it will take from 5 to 9 months to get the fiancee visa. You can find all kinds of fiancee visa kits online or fill out forms you download for free online or like I said use a lawyer. There are alot advertising on here. Good luck

The OP doesn't 'need' to file a fiance visa. They may choose to get married and file a spousal visa. It really just depends on which one suits their needs better.

That is why I gave the link to the section which compares visa types so they have all the facts and can make the best decision for their situation.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
The OP doesn't 'need' to file a fiance visa. They may choose to get married and file a spousal visa. It really just depends on which one suits their needs better.

That is why I gave the link to the section which compares visa types so they have all the facts and can make the best decision for their situation.

Doing the paperwork after marriage out of the country adds significant time to being apart, unless she is able to live in Italy for quite some time during the wait.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Doing the paperwork after marriage out of the country adds significant time to being apart, unless she is able to live in Italy for quite some time during the wait.

and if living in Italy is an option then DCF might play.....

YMMV

Filed: Timeline

If someone can do a k1, I would never recommend a cr1. I am in the middle of a cr1 after messing up on a 129f and the wait is horrific. Everyone else has their SO with them and I am in the middle of a horrible wait. I would encourage anyone to do a 129f all day long rather than a cr1 or k3. They take too long and too much paperwork.

For the CR1/IR1, that is true (although its not as long a process as it used to be). But the K3 is also an option, which is a multiple entry visa and has AOS after the spouse arrives. The fact of it being multiple entry is a better option for some folks - but again, each situation is different, and its a decision that each couple has to make individually.

The K1 may well be the better option for this couple, but their best course of action is to educate themselves about their options and make an informed decision that best suits their needs.

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline

If someone can do a k1, I would never recommend a cr1. I am in the middle of a cr1 after messing up on a 129f and the wait is horrific. Everyone else has their SO with them and I am in the middle of a horrible wait. I would encourage anyone to do a 129f all day long rather than a cr1 or k3. They take too long and too much paperwork.

Maybe true, but let's not forget that part of your frustration may also be the result of the consulate you are using and your experience (ie. frustration level) may not be the same for people who are using other consulates.

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

k-3 is if your already married

k-1 is if your not and want to marry IN AMERICA

if you plan to marry in italy, then file DCF or spousal visa

if you want to marry in USA, file the k-1 visa

if you marry in ITALY you do NOT have to file for k-1 visa

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...&page=times

Then you must factor in some time to be processed at the consulate in Italy. I'm not sure how to find out those times (other than asking people who are going through that consulate).

SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline

Depends on when you start the clock...

If you start the clock today (and assuming that you are not married) and you file the fiance petition tomorrow, I think most everyone would agree with wahrania that K-1 woule be faster.

YMMV

Filed: Country: Italy
Timeline

Yeah, I agree too...there just happens to be a consulate for Italy in the state I live in...and I have their email address. I want to email them, but am not sure how to start the email...

You guys are being so helpful, thank you so much!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.