Fandango

McCann Parents Named as Suspects..

98 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Last Updated: Saturday, 8 September 2007, 06:32 GMT 07:32 UK

McCann parents named as suspects

Portuguese police have named both parents of Madeleine McCann as formal suspects in her disappearance.

Gerry McCann was officially given "arguido" status about 12 hours after his wife Kate. They had been questioned separately for more than 24 hours.

No bail conditions or charges have been imposed and both deny any involvement in Madeleine's disappearance on 3 May.

Earlier, a family spokesman said Portuguese police believed Kate McCann had killed her daughter accidentally.

Asked whether the couple, both 39, were still protesting their innocence, family spokesman David Hughes said: "They certainly are."

'Very low'

Mr McCann refused to speak to reporters as he left police headquarters in Portimao after eight hours of questioning.

It is understood Kate McCann was told she would only face two years in prison if she confessed.

She underwent a second day of questioning on Friday.

Under Portuguese law, police are not allowed to publicly give details of ongoing investigations.

Jon Corner, a close family friend, said Kate McCann had told him officers had tried to "cut her a deal" where she would only serve two years in jail.

He added that she was feeling "very down, very low" and "deflated".

Another family representative said officers believed that traces of four-year-old Madeleine's blood were in the McCanns' car, hired 25 days after she vanished.

Mr McCann arrived at the police headquarters at 1535 BST. He was not questioned with Mrs McCann, who left shortly afterwards.

'Ordinary family'

The "suspect" status allows the authorities to put certain questions to Mr and Mrs McCann, and also gives them the right to remain silent.

ARGUIDO/ARGUIDA STATUS

Officially a suspect

Bestowed by police or requested by individual

Right to remain silent

Right to a lawyer

Must report to police every five days

The first formal suspect was Robert Murat, a British man living locally.

Mr and Mrs McCann have not been arrested or charged.

McCann family spokesman David Hughes said: "She is suspected of accidentally killing her daughter."

In his latest diary entry on a website publicising the search for Madeleine, Mr McCann wrote: "The suggestion that Kate is involved in Madeleine's disappearance is ludicrous.

"Anyone who knows anything about 3 May knows that Kate is completely innocent. We will fight this all the way and we will not stop looking for Madeleine."

Meanwhile, friends of the family said that Mrs McCann has been told by her lawyer that she could be charged in connection with the disappearance of her daughter.

It is understood that after questioning Mrs McCann on Thursday, police said they had 22 questions they wanted to ask her during Friday's interview.

more here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6983604.stm

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well isn't it suspiscious that they find the little girls blood in the car the family rented 25 days PRIOR to announcing her missing?

I read that Portugal even offered the mother a deal that if she admitted the girl was murdered "accidentally" that she would only get 2 yrs. I'm not sure how you accidentally murder your child.

Yesterday on my local news I also heard that UK was conducting the testing DNA found and such... since this happened in Portugal, why isnt Portugal doing it? All weird....

12140.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
Well isn't it suspiscious that they find the little girls blood in the car the family rented 25 days PRIOR to announcing her missing?

The report states they found the girls blood 25 days AFTER she went missing. Anyway, the parents should most certainly be questioned as all possible avenues should be investigated. The worst thing is that they left her in the hotel while they went to a restaurant. What responsible parent does something like that? Maybe they aren't murderers, but there actions are questionable. I just hope they find whoever killed the little girl and that they get what they deserve.

[color=#800080]AOS

Lawyer sent Aos package 07-27-2007

Medical 08-01-2007

Check cashed -08-23-2007

NOA - 08-27-2007

Biometrics scheduled - 09-12-2007

Biometrics for EAD and AOS 09-12-2007

Received RFE for medical and co-sponsor tax returns

(Tax returns were sent) also letter from employer

needed, and last 6 months pay stubs.

RFE: 09-11-2007

Sent RFE back to lawyer 10-10-2007

EAD card production ordered 06-11-2007

EAD received 17-11-2007

Interview date for 01-08-2008[/color]

Approved! Card Production ordered 01-08-2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

The DNA was tested in the UK because it was a team of British detectives and forensic officers who found it.

I have to say I cannot understand at the very least why the Portuguese haven't taken a firmer line on the children being left alone.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

a 'firmer line'? like what? prison for being bad parents?

I don't think what they did was wise, but there are parents doing far worse than this every day of the week... and I think that whatever the McCanns are or aren't, if they're telling the truth about the abduction then they've been incredibly unlucky; this certainly isn't a normal situation

as for the blood, the way I read it they found it recently, and the 25 days refers to when they hired the car - they didn't even lease it til 25 days after Madeleine's disappearance, in which case the blood is a red herring

anyone know of the Azaria Chamberlain case? this is starting to sound awfully like it... mother criticised for leaving the baby, 'blood' (which turned out not to be) found in the car... of course that case ended in false imprisonment for a number of years; let's hope that whatever happens here is at least right and just...

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm not surprised, to be honest. Something has never rang true in this case, the parents always seemed, well, can't think of the correct word, but just "not right".

Course, can't arrest someone for "not right" but you can be suspicious of them. Seems the police are too, probably let them do all the publicity in the hopes that they'd slip up.

In answer to another question mentioned here, it is relatively common to kill someone accidentally, that's why there is a "manslaughter" charge...

Edited by Mags

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

The report states they found the girls blood 25 days AFTER she went missing. Anyway, the parents should most certainly be questioned as all possible avenues should be investigated. The worst thing is that they left her in the hotel while they went to a restaurant. What responsible parent does something like that? Maybe they aren't murderers, but there actions are questionable. I just hope they find whoever killed the little girl and that they get what they deserve.

That is the thing that I can never understand. Why the heck do you leave your small children alone while you go out dining with friends? I don't care that they were close by.....it just isn't right. :no:

I'm not surprised, to be honest. Something has never rang true in this case, the parents always seemed, well, can't think of the correct word, but just "not right".

Agreed... there's just seemed something very 'not right' about them (and the way they've gone about the publicity etc) all along. As for leaving the children alone in the apartment... I'm surprised the parents have had so much sympathy in (what I've seen of) the British tabloids - can you imagine how the Daily Mail etc would be reporting it if it were some slightly more, uh, working-class couple who'd left their kids alone every evening while they went off to some bar? They'd have been going totally Nancy Grace on their arses from day 1, surely!!

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Timeline

Agreed... there's just seemed something very 'not right' about them (and the way they've gone about the publicity etc) all along. As for leaving the children alone in the apartment... I'm surprised the parents have had so much sympathy in (what I've seen of) the British tabloids - can you imagine how the Daily Mail etc would be reporting it if it were some slightly more, uh, working-class couple who'd left their kids alone every evening while they went off to some bar? They'd have been going totally Nancy Grace on their arses from day 1, surely!!

Oh I totally agree with you here, feather. If the parents were working class (or unemployed) and were holidaying in Spain somewhere I can imagine what the headlines would have been like. But because Madeline's parents are doctors and therefore higher educated they are offered support from the press.

Oh yes, I'd like a slice of double standards with my cuppa, thanks. ;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

This post is a mixture of blind ignorance and wrong facts along with some correct facts and correct law.

Some class hatred/prejudice by 'working class' people as well

Aren't we supposed to encourage people to get educated and get professional jobs rather than having a pop at them because they 'made it' in society - a dose of envy around I reckon. Says a lot about us Brits and whether class envy and hatred has really gone away.

Well the Guardian readers will think one thing and the Sun readers will think something else.

I read neither which doesn't mean I don't read.

I wouldn't like to think some contributors to this thread were on any jury trying me - far to quick to presume guilt and confused about what constitutes murder etc.

Murder is the killing of a human being, by a human being, with 'Malice aforethought' either expressed or implied

If being dour and unemotional was proof of guilt then our prime minister Mr Brown should be behind bars now..

Why not just let the law take it's course instead of pre-judging ...We presume they are innocent at this monent don't we ? as good Brits or Americans we are duty bound to think that way - its the law.

They may well be as as innocenct as OJ was shown to be - and if they aren't then they would still get off if some portuguese policeman had called them an 'english pig'

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

My take on this is that we were slagging off the Daily Mail, which is one of the worst newspapers in the UK, imo.

Aren't we supposed to encourage people to get educated and get professional jobs rather than having a pop at them because they 'made it' in society - a dose of envy around I reckon. Says a lot about us Brits and whether class envy and hatred has really gone away.

Again, we were having a pop at the newspaper. I personally, don't judge people by their standard of education, but if something isn't "right" about the way someone acts I WILL say my piece regardless of whether they are the Queen, or Joe Bloggs next door.

I wouldn't like to think some contributors to this thread were on any jury trying me - far to quick to presume guilt and confused about what constitutes murder etc.

Why not just let the law take it's course instead of pre-judging ...We presume they are innocent at this monent don't we ? as good Brits or Americans we are duty bound to think that way - its the law.

They may well be as as innocenct as OJ was shown to be - and if they aren't then they would still get off if some portuguese policeman had called them an 'english pig'

Again, personally, I was commenting on the behaviour of the "suspects". Last time I looked we were able to do this. It's a message board, people comment about all manner of things, some of which we won't all agree with. *shrugs*

Edited by Mags

Its dot Cotton!

K1

September 15 - 2005: NOA1

October: Waiting

November: Waiting

December: In Security checks

January 2006: Waiting

February: Waiting..Contacted Congress

March 4th: APPROVED

March 17th: NVC posted file to London

March 20th: London Receives file

March 29th: Receive package 3

April 13th: London Receives package

April 19th: Medical - June 13th: INTERVIEW......APPROVED!!!!

June 20th: ARRIVE IN USA

Time taken for whole process 9 Months

~~~~~ * ~~~~~

AOS

October: 13th: Sent off AOS Package

November 3rd: NOA1

November 14th: Snail mail ~ NOA1 ~ Case moved to the CSC for faster processing.

November 14th : CSC has petition for me and my daughter.

December 14th: Biometrics completed.

January 17th: APPROVED AOS!

January 22nd: Green card arrives in the mail:))

Time taken for AOS - 3.5 Months

Finished for 2 years.

dev015pb___.png

Wow... you managed to extrapolate rather a lot from a few short posts, saywhat - and you seem to have made rather a lot of incorrect assumptions there. First of all, I realise that my post might come across as sounding like people shouldn't be sympathetic towards the McCanns - not what I meant at all, of course they deserve sympathy, they've lost their daughter. I was simply saying that a different family would have certainly got very different treatment from the media (and not saying that's right, either) - they'd have been absolutely hauled over the coals from day one. Think how many times the tabloids have devoted a week or more to the 'shame' of some feckless chavvy single mother type for leaving her kids alone while she nips down the pub, or similar... I've seen it time and time again. Had it been a slightly different group of nine people going away and going out NIGHT AFTER NIGHT leaving very young children alone... well, the Sun, Mail et al would have been baying for their blood and demanding that Social Services get involved. Again - I am NOT saying the McCanns should have been subject to that kind of treatment, not at all - just commenting on the double standards that those papers exercise. I thought that was so obvious it should go without saying...

Who? Which 'working class' people?

Murder is the killing of a human being, by a human being, with 'Malice aforethought' either expressed or implied

Again, not sure who you're talking about here. Who has presumed guilt? (Thanks for explaining what murder is, though, who knew?) Personally, I would find it VERY hard to believe that the parents have been guilty of anything other than being rather lax and neglectful, and suffering hideously disproportionate consequences for it.

Um, I'll be sure to let the law take its course, thanks. I thought what we were doing here was having a discussion, which I was under the impression was among the purposes of this forum. Again, no 'pre-judging' here, at least from me - and even if I was going to pre-judge anything, I would NOT be giving the verdict you seem to assume.

Edited by featherB

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.