22 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

Hi guys,

Now that I've got my visa, I'm starting to actually organize our trip. Those who have experience, could you please give me an idea how much time I should allow between flights for immigration and customs? I've been through it before, of course, but never as an immigrant and I have no idea how much longer that might take.

I don't want to miss my next flight or have to run through things but I also don't want to spend 10 hours at the airport.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Many thanks!

Oh and sorry if this is not the right forum. :)

July 2004 - Married

September 2004 - Filed I-130

Early October 2004 - Left the USA

October 12, 2004 - I-130 received

March 16, 2005 - I-130 approved

February 2006 - Filed I-824 to request handling in London

February 16, 2006 - I-824 received

July 26, 2006 - Received another approval notice for the I-130

August 2006 - Received form for Choice of Agent and Address form along with a visa process map of sorts and a request for an Affidavit of Support Fee Bill. All sent back right away.

January 10, 2007 - Filed I-864. At some point in time, we received a checklist back saying that we did not prove US domicile.

February 12, 2007 - Agent received an instruction packet detailing the documents to send back and those to obtain

April 29, 2007 - Filed DS-230 Part I as well as further evidence for domicile-issue (including evidence of address and bank accounts)

May 22, 2007 - Received another checklist saying we have not established US domicile

July 22, 2007 - Received appointment for interview for late in August, which later got pushed back a bit

September 4, 2007 - Interview date

Approved!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Give yourself 30-45 more minutes than your usual layover. Typically 90 min to 2 hours layover at the POE airport for customs and immigrations.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Give yourself 30-45 more minutes than your usual layover. Typically 90 min to 2 hours layover at the POE airport for customs and immigrations.

Actually, the minimum layover most travel agents will set up is two hours on an international flight. I recommend a minimum of three hours for an immigrant. You don't want them to have to deal with missing the connecting flight. If it's a really busy POE, add time. You'd be wise to specify the POE in your question.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I am sure it varies by POE but when Claudeth came through LAX it took her 45 minutes form deboarding until she came out of the customs area and I saw her smiling little face :P

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline

Thanks guys. The reason I haven't specified POE is because I don't know what it is. The two most likely candidates are Chicago and Dallas, TX.

I'm thinking three hours should be sufficient - not less, maybe a bit more - but if anyone feels the urge to give me any more advice, don't hold back. :)

Thanks!

July 2004 - Married

August 2006 - Received form for Choice of Agent and Address form along with a visa process map of sorts and a request for an Affidavit of Support Fee Bill. All sent back right away.

January 10, 2007 - Filed I-864. At some point in time, we received a checklist back saying that we did not prove US domicile.

February 12, 2007 - Agent received an instruction packet detailing the documents to send back and those to obtain

April 29, 2007 - Filed DS-230 Part I as well as further evidence for domicile-issue (including evidence of address and bank accounts)

May 22, 2007 - Received another checklist saying we have not established US domicile

July 22, 2007 - Received appointment for interview for late in August, which later got pushed back a bit

Approved!

Bruce's POE experience was 2 hours at Newark -- we're not sure what happened but he thinks that they literally "forgot" about him! He watched over a hundred people enter the room for secondary and get processed while he waited, and waited... He was the last person to be processed in the room -- seriously. The whole processing took about a minute, a minute he had to wait 2 hours for! Nothing was wrong with his papers, they just...overlooked him.

We also had to wait nearly 40 minutes to get to the head of the queue in the non-USC/non-GC line in the first place, so factor that in as well. Although plenty of people have shorter times, I would think you wouldn't want to take the risk. 3 hours would be my bare minimum. Heck, I'm travelling to Sacramento next week via Vegas and I'm giving myself 3 hours to change planes domestically!

Good luck!

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Layover requirements will vary wildly dependant on POE selected and time of day.... If you arrive at a less busy POE and your flight is the only flight being processed it will likely go very quickly... If however you arrive in Chicago or JFK and they are processing many concurrent flights at the same time it could be hours....

YMMV

Timeline

That's interesting, elmcitymaven, I was under the impression that we could go through the USC/GC line. Last time we were in the States (in the midst of the IR-1 process but on a tourist visa) they actually told us to switch to that line from the non-USC line we had been in. Just based on the fact that I was with my USC spouse.

Anyone else? Which line should it be? I suppose this is a small detail but it's one that could make a lot of time difference, I think.

July 2004 - Married

Approved!

Timeline
Anyone else? Which line should it be? I suppose this is a small detail but it's one that could make a lot of time difference, I think.

Easiest answer is to simply ASK the crowd control officer...... I did and we were directed to the USC line...

YMMV

3 hours should be enough. :blush:

IR-1

Immigration Process

2007-02-22 **I-130 Sent to VSC

2007-07-02 **I-130 APPROVED at USCIS- CSC

2007-10-10 **CASE COMPLETED at NVC

2007-11-15 **INTERVIEW DATE. APPROVED at USEM!!!

USA

2007-12-02 **Arrival from MNL to JFK (NYC)

2007-12-10 **Visit to SSA

.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I am sure it varies by POE but when Claudeth came through LAX it took her 45 minutes form deboarding until she came out of the customs area and I saw her smiling little face :P

I've heard the same but there are two CBP areas at LAX. I waited more than two hours for my wife at the Tom Bradley International Terminal. The time needed can vary widely based on how many planes land near the same time.

DFW and ORD are both very busy but more importantly, changing airlines and/or terminals can be very time consuming, particularly at DFW. I would take all factors into account.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I would say at least three hours, remember the arrival time given is normally when the aircraft lands, not when it gets to the gate. Also you have to be at the gate for the onward flight before the flight closes for boarding, and the time given for departure is the push back time.

So 3 hours between arrival and departure isn't 3 hours of available time for the immigration process and transferring flights.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Timeline
I would say at least three hours, remember the arrival time given is normally when the aircraft lands, not when it gets to the gate.

Nope, in the airline world there are 4 reported times... out (from the gate) , (take) off, on (landed) and in (to the gate)... What you see on your itinerary as well as on the airport monitors is scheduled/anticipated out from the gate and scheduled/anticipated into the gate......

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I would say at least three hours, remember the arrival time given is normally when the aircraft lands, not when it gets to the gate.

Nope, in the airline world there are 4 reported times... out (from the gate) , (take) off, on (landed) and in (to the gate)... What you see on your itinerary as well as on the airport monitors is scheduled/anticipated out from the gate and scheduled/anticipated into the gate......

Not in the ten years I worked at Heathrow it wasn't, the itinerary and monitors showed the wheels down time. I had the system on my desk and could seen when aircraft where pushed back etc, and for arrivals when airborne from departure point, in the zone, on finals and landed, and how those times compared to schedule and itinerary times.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Timeline

Not in the ten years I worked at Heathrow it wasn't, the itinerary and monitors showed the wheels down time. I had the system on my desk and could seen when aircraft where pushed back etc, and for arrivals when airborne from departure point, in the zone, on finals and landed, and how those times compared to schedule and itinerary times.

Well I was in airlines for 10 years and heavily involved in operations control the last three years and I know exactly what we did...

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.