deptrai

Entering USA together

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi all,

We have our visa and will be entering USA in a couple of days -- I don't anticipate any problems, but I still have a few unresolved question marks in my head, if anyone can offer any advise or insight I would appreciate it...

1. Can we pass through immigration together? The airport where we will be entering has two sets of lines, one for US citizens and green card holders and one for "visitors" (everyone else, presumably). Since I am in the former category and she is in the latter, it seems straightforward that we must separate and reconnect at the baggage claim (before customs), yet it would be a lot nicer if we could come through together so that I can provide any information that the officer needs, etc. Does anyone know if this is possible?

2. Are there any special questions she needs to ask the officer? I've read the FAQ/guide and it seems unnecessary to try for a work permit at the time of entry (especially since she doesn't plan on working right away and they are rarely issued anyhow) but in addition to the regular I-94, should she ask things like what are the conditions of her visa, can she leave and re-enter... not so much to find out information, but I'm more interested in getting any additional stamps or annotations that might be given only upon request. There's nothing that I know of, but I just thought I'd ask...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you all could share.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yes you can go together - if someone is directing the lines, ask which line is appropriate. If not, go to the shorter line.

No questions to ask - there are no stamps or annotations. It's up to you to know the conditions and they'll probably remind you that you have 90 days to marry. It's a one entry visa - there is no leaving and re-entering until you have filed AOS and she has AP or her green card. This is a very very important detail.

Edited by kitkat1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
Hi all,

We have our visa and will be entering USA in a couple of days -- I don't anticipate any problems, but I still have a few unresolved question marks in my head, if anyone can offer any advise or insight I would appreciate it...

1. Can we pass through immigration together? The airport where we will be entering has two sets of lines, one for US citizens and green card holders and one for "visitors" (everyone else, presumably). Since I am in the former category and she is in the latter, it seems straightforward that we must separate and reconnect at the baggage claim (before customs), yet it would be a lot nicer if we could come through together so that I can provide any information that the officer needs, etc. Does anyone know if this is possible?

2. Are there any special questions she needs to ask the officer? I've read the FAQ/guide and it seems unnecessary to try for a work permit at the time of entry (especially since she doesn't plan on working right away and they are rarely issued anyhow) but in addition to the regular I-94, should she ask things like what are the conditions of her visa, can she leave and re-enter... not so much to find out information, but I'm more interested in getting any additional stamps or annotations that might be given only upon request. There's nothing that I know of, but I just thought I'd ask...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you all could share.

question #1, yeppers

question #2 There are only certain POE's that give the work permit upon entry, i know JFK is one of them. She doesnt have to ask for it if she doesnt want it, its temp. If she wants to work later she can go for the EAD at time of AOS.

Have a wonderful flight home. :)

Edited by Ionescu

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

As a note, we were not allowed to go through together in Miami, FL in June of 2006. However, they did let me stand and wait for him and go to the interview room together. And, they were all really nice and helpful.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.