tammiandtom

Anyone travel to Canada by car recently?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just curious if it was smooth sailing, like it was coming back from the UK this summer. I guess I just want reassurance that the border patrol will know the extension letter and all that. DH won't have to get out of the car and go into the building will he?

We leave Friday.

Thanks!

Just curious if it was smooth sailing, like it was coming back from the UK this summer. I guess I just want reassurance that the border patrol will know the extension letter and all that. DH won't have to get out of the car and go into the building will he?

We leave Friday.

Thanks!

I crossed the border weekly with the letter and had mixed encounters. It all depends on who you get, and whether they are familiar with the letter. Often I just passed through easily. One time, the officer did not know what it was, and went to check with someone. Another time, an officer called out another officer, and the guy recognized me and waved me through. Another time, I just had to go inside and explain to them what the letter was. They did a quick check on the computer and I was on my way. So, don't be worried even if you are called in. If the border is a quiet one and does not have experience with these letters, you just have to be patient and let them learn. :yes:

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

hello,

I was thinking travel with my wife to Canada this weekends, her GC will not expire until December. With the new rule regards to Passport to travel. Do we need a letter from the USCIS to ensure a safe return to the U.S? I see that you mentioned letter but was not sure what type of letter need.

if you can direct me to a site or instruct where I should obtain such documents for travel.

cheers

Time Line:

December 13, 2003 Introduced by my uncle to my fiance

April 10, 2004 Proposed to my fiance

April 29, 2004 Filled fiance petition I-129F

May 15, 2004 1st NOA received

July 22, 2004 2nd NOA received - file passed on to Wash. D.C

July 30, 2004 File passed to HCMC

August 14, 2004 Engaged to my fiance

September 30, 2004 P3 received

October 15, 2004 P3 received by HCMC

December 15, 2004 Interview date notification via email

January 11, 2005 Interview DATE - PASS

February 3, 2005 Will reunited with my Honey

April 15, 2005 File for GC

May 28, 2005 Wedding Day

December 11 GC received w/out Interview

<span style='color:red'>Perfect Timing</span>

Timeline

We leave Friday.

Thanks!

I crossed the border weekly with the letter and had mixed encounters. It all depends on who you get, and whether they are familiar with the letter. Often I just passed through easily. One time, the officer did not know what it was, and went to check with someone. Another time, an officer called out another officer, and the guy recognized me and waved me through. Another time, I just had to go inside and explain to them what the letter was. They did a quick check on the computer and I was on my way. So, don't be worried even if you are called in. If the border is a quiet one and does not have experience with these letters, you just have to be patient and let them learn. :yes:

Thanks!!!

hello,

I was thinking travel with my wife to Canada this weekends, her GC will not expire until December. With the new rule regards to Passport to travel. Do we need a letter from the USCIS to ensure a safe return to the U.S? I see that you mentioned letter but was not sure what type of letter need.

if you can direct me to a site or instruct where I should obtain such documents for travel.

cheers

US citizens don't currently need a passport to go to Canada. The letter I am talking about is the NOA which extends an expired green card for one year. You use it to travel after you've applied for the lifting of conditions. If your wife's GC is valid until December, that is all you need to travel (and her passport).

Timeline

Just to report that it was all smooth sailing going over the border and coming back home. Going there, the guy didn't even look at his letter. Coming back, the US Customs guy acted like he never saw one of those letters before. He goes, "so they extended this. what have you done since Feb, have you done anything to get your new card". Ugh. So my husband explained it to him. Then he let us through right away.

How could a customs person have never seen that letter before, I find that hard to believe. And why do they not get trained in that?

Oh well, it was easy! Next time we go, Tom should have his actual greencard.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

In answer to QN Boston, you don't have to have a letter when your green card hasn't expired yet. This person was talking about having filed to lift conditions and their card had expired before getting the new one, which happens to most. My husband and I made a trip in June to Canada for our 2nd wedding anniversary and it was fairly painless. When crossing back into the US they did make us both park and go into the building to check out his green card, not sure why but it didn't take long and they were very polite. If you already went, I hope it all went well and if you haven't gone yet, don't worry about it, it's easy.

Doreen

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SupportingMoroccanLove/

6/14/03 Met Online

9/30/2003 He was denied a Tourist Visa

1/7/2004 Sent 1-129F-tried to prove hardship; many reasons

8/8/2004 Petition denied

After 214 Days of waiting

10/11/2004 Returned from Morocco even more in love.

11/15/2004 Mailed I-129F off to Nebraska

2/11/05 APPROVAL

2/14/05 EMAIL, OUR PETITION HAS BEEN APPROVED

86 Days what an awesome feeling

2/25/05 Email received from nvc, given case number

3/21/05 Email from consulate

b]INTERVIEW DATE 5/10/05[/b]

3/31/05 Fiance finally receives his packet from the consulate

4/12/05 He had medical exam

5/10/05 INTERVIEW WAS A SUCCESS

5/18/05 VISA IN HAND

Took 214 Days for a denial, but IN 205 days He will be HOME

6/10/05 Abdou arrives in America, what a happy day!

6/13/05 Applied for SSN

6/23/05 6 p.m. We were MARRIED; honeymoon in Gatlinburg

8/13/05 AOS and EAD paperwork mailed

8/25/05 NOAs in the mail!!! Yea!

11/25/05 - BIOMETRIC DATE

01/26/06 - AOS SUCCESSFUL INTERVIEW AND HE GETS HIS FIRST JOB AT FIRST JOB INTERVIEW

02/13/06 - GREEN CARD ARRIVED

4/22/06 - Driver's License!!

11/05/2007 Filed to Lift conditions[/color]

11/07/07 - NOA1 received

12/21/07 - Biometrics completed

04/08/08 - 10 YEAR CARD APPROVED

04/14/08 - CARD IN HAND !!!!!

11/3/08 - Filed for Citizenship

11/29/08 - Biometric Appointment

02/03/09 - Citizenship Interview, HE PASSED

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
hello,

cheers

US citizens don't currently need a passport to go to Canada. The letter I am talking about is the NOA which extends an expired green card for one year. You use it to travel after you've applied for the lifting of conditions. If your wife's GC is valid until December, that is all you need to travel (and her passport).

They do if they are travelling by air. Right now until September 30th, exceptions are being made due to long processing times -- you have to provide proof that you have applied for the passport and they will let you on the plane (with other photo ID, of course). By January 1 of next year, a USC will need a passport to travel to Canada by land, air and sea.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Me and my wife travelled to Canada over the Labor Day wknd. We crossed over the border through the tunnel at Detroit to Windsor and on our way back crossed over the bridge from Niagara Falls into NY. Both times, my wife just showed her expired GC. Actually due to a dumb mistake on my part ... we actually crossed into the US from Niagara Falls then went back over and came right back into the US. Both times, my wife just showed her expired GC w/o the letter and the border agent didn't even look at the card. I wouldn't use this as a generalization ... make sure to have the extension letter with you just in case ...

shahab

07/05/2005 - INTERVIEW DATE JULY 25 @ ISB Embassy

07/25/2005 - CASE COMPLETE-VISA RECEIVED

08/10/2005 - Wife arrives in US

07/05/2007 - Mailed I-751 to NSC via USPS Express Mail

07/09/2007 - Mailed signed copy of I-751 to NSC via USPS 1st class mail

07/14/2007 - Received rejection letter due to not signing original I-751

07/25/2007 - Original application packet and signed copy of I-751 sent on 7/05 returned by the CSC

07/26/2007 - Mailed back the original application packet after signing it via USPS Express Mail

08/06/2007 - Money order cashed by USCIS

08/09/2007 - Receive I-797C Notice of Action with Receipt #

08/25/2007 - Receive Biometrics appt: Sept 7th, 2007

09/07/2007 - Fingerprints and photos taken at Naperville ASC

10/29/2007 - Card production ordered

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.