chicurious

traveling to US for work?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I've read plenty about my fiance not being advised to enter the US to visit during the K-1 visa application. However, his job (in Mexico) is wanting to send him to the US for a week for a training/course. B/c of the warnings that I've read on here, as well as from my friend that is an attorney, we were not planning on him coming to the US to meet my friends, go to a wedding, etc. However, this could be complicated since he won't be informing his work about this until we have the visa in hand and he's ready to leave for the US.

What should we do? I don't want to risk him being denied entry and then us having to deal with that in the interview (that would be an automatic denial of the visa and then we'd have to file a waiver, right?). However, if he has all the proofs that it is for work, that I am actually IN MEXICO (so there won't be an issue of getting married while in the US for business since I won't even be there), will that greatly help?

Thanks.

I've read plenty about my fiance not being advised to enter the US to visit during the K-1 visa application. However, his job (in Mexico) is wanting to send him to the US for a week for a training/course. B/c of the warnings that I've read on here, as well as from my friend that is an attorney, we were not planning on him coming to the US to meet my friends, go to a wedding, etc. However, this could be complicated since he won't be informing his work about this until we have the visa in hand and he's ready to leave for the US.

What should we do? I don't want to risk him being denied entry and then us having to deal with that in the interview (that would be an automatic denial of the visa and then we'd have to file a waiver, right?). However, if he has all the proofs that it is for work, that I am actually IN MEXICO (so there won't be an issue of getting married while in the US for business since I won't even be there), will that greatly help?

Thanks.

I dont see a big deal with that. I used to work for SLB (Schlumberger) and for that reason I used to came here to the States for training. SLB provided me with a letter to show to the Inmigrantion Officer that states that I will not receive any money from here, that in my country they are expensing the trip and for how long and when I am going to be there. I never have a trouble when coming for that, eventhough after I quit I get engaged. I think you have to make sure she had a letter, they ALLWAYS asked me for one.

K1 process

20-11-06 We sent our petition I129F

28-12-06 NOA1

14-02-07 NOA2

17-03-07 Packet 4 arrived

29-05-07 Successful interview. (We waited that long because my fiance travels a lot)

AOS

15-07-07 Wedding

14-08-07 Interview in OK City, AOS, EAD and AP

15-09-07 NOA for EAD and AP.(sep 13)and on 20-09-07 NOA for AOS. (sep 13)

13-10-07 AP received

17-10-07 Biometrics.

29-10-07 EAD received

28-11-07 Card production ordered

11-12-07 Green Card on hand.

Removing conditions

4-09-09 Send papers to VSC

8-09-09 Confirmation via FedEx (Same as NOA)

07-10-09 Biometrics appointment

20-10-09 Second biometric (29 was the date)

24-12-09 Approved green card

19-01-10 Green card on hand

Citizenship

09-29-10 Send papers to Dallas lockbox

01-18-2011 Interview

04-13-2011 Oath ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Thanks.

i just entered the US during the K1 process through philly and NO QUESTIONS AT ALL.

Removal of Conditions - Timeline:

5/26/2010: I-751 Received

5/27/2010: NOA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks.

1) A denial of entry at the POE does not equal an automatic visa denial or need for a waiver.

2) If he has to travel for work, he can get a letter from his employer as someone else indicated here to provide additional proof.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.