wardens22

K-1,K-3 or ???

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This is the 1st time I have ever posted in a forum so please excuse me in advance. OK, heres the scenario. I met a lovely woman online who lives in England. We recently met and decided we want to spend the rest of our lives together. She returned home yesterday to start getting everything sorted so she can come back in early to mid October. Now we do want to marry and have disscused it at length but I have as of yet not "officially" propossed. Having said that we can go and will go whatever direction is the quickest and the easiest. So my question is this, Should I just marry her when she comes back in Oct. and do a K-3 visa or should we do a K-1. Whats important to us is that she can stay for good when she comes. Also I need to mention she is an RN and has atleast a decade in theatre (Operating room) at home and can easily get a job. Now this raises another point. Should she secure a job and obtain a work visa? Would this be easier than either of the visas mentioned previously? I guess we just want the easiest way to go at this and a way where she doesnt have to leave the country. I'm sure there are lots of people that were in our situation and wished they had gone about things differently to make it quicker and easier so your advice is much appreciated. Thank you in advance! Oh and BTW....I live in the US...Florida :)

Edited by wardens22

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If she enters the US with the intention of getting married and staying- it is considered fraud. People have come to the US on a B1/B2 Visa- met and married and stayed and adjusted status with no problems. You would have to prove she didn't come here with the intent to marry and stay- I'm not exactly sure how you do that. I would hate for you two to have problems down the road taking this approach. Just my opinion.

As far as K1 or K3- it is your choice. The guides here will tell you step by step what to do and what to expect. Others who have gone and are going through the process in the UK will be very helpful in what they had to go through, how long the process was- most people add their timelines that you can look at. It gives you a better idea of how the process was for them

Edited by Stacey33

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

good luck !

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

The K1 used to be faster, not always the case now.

K3 has 2 components to the application process. It uses the same I-129F form as the K1 but is for a spouse vis-a-vis the K3. This K3 for spouse is quickest os the 2 K3 components. The other component of the I-130 is the CR1 which gives her a green card and a SS# soon after she gets here and saves the hassle and expense of Adjustment Of Status. So the I-130 lets her enter as a citizen, so to speak.

With K3 you need to legally marry her there.

2-2-07 Sent I-129F to NSC

2-6-07 NSC received USPS mail, NSC then to CSC

2-15-07 NOA1 -file received

2-16-07 check cashed

2-23-07 touched

5-4-07 NOA2 approval -email

5-13-07 sent cancellation request letter

6-7-07 we're going to retry with a K-3

8-6-07 married in Thailand (dual language, dual representation prenuptial)

8-7-07 sent K3 from Bangkok

9-10-07 I-130 NOA1, (received at CSC 8-9-07)

10-9-07 sent I-129F to CSC

11-1-07 touched I-130

requested consular processing I-130 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf)

9-13-07 I-129F for Spouse arrived CSC via USPS return rcpt. requested

4-1-08 NOA2 for K3 (I-134 supposed to be processed but processed I-129F instead)

7-11-08 interview Bangkok, passed.

7-16-08 POE arrival, 2 hours in Seattle Customs.

AOS I-486 sent 4-4-09

AOS NOA1 4-13-09 for all; I-485, I-131, I765

RFE 4-27-09 Thai official document in lieu of original Birth Certificate not sufficient???

Infopass appointment 5-26-09 at USCIS. Officer thought our doc was valid and doesn't know why the RFE.

7-28-09 EAD and AP sent

Social Security card 8-4-09

interview 9-10-09

10 year green card expires 9-17-19, Permanent Resident Card.

Resident since 9-10-09.

The K1 used to be faster, not always the case now.

K3 has 2 components to the application process. It uses the same I-129F form as the K1 but is for a spouse vis-a-vis the K3. This K3 for spouse is quickest os the 2 K3 components. The other component of the I-130 is the CR1 which gives her a green card and a SS# soon after she gets here and saves the hassle and expense of Adjustment Of Status. So the I-130 lets her enter as a citizen, so to speak.

With K3 you need to legally marry her there.

Quite a lot of this information is incorrect or misleading, especially the idea that a CR1 visa leads to citizenship shortly after arriving in the US.

The easiest way is the K1 visa, and it should still be the fastest way. However, there isn't any option that will allow her to come in mid-October and not leave again. If you file everything for the K1 visa asap, it would be more like February or March before she could enter the states and not leave. She could visit in October in the meatime (with proof of her return to the UK), or you could visit her.

Alternatively, she could come in October, you could marry her, and then file the forms needed for the K3 visa. She would then have to return to the UK before her 90 days visit was over. The K3 visa would take about six or seven months after filing if there weren't any snags.

Money wise, both are about the same in the end I believe.

Do not risk her coming to the US with the intention to marry and immigrate and then try to stay and adjust status. I'm sure people do it, but it's visa fraud, and if you're found out, it will cause very serious problems.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 come here with a work visa

2 get married

3 apply IR1 when she stays in US, do AOS here

Normally, work visa will be faster than K1, and K1 is faster than K3, and K3 is faster than CR1/IR1. Working here is the fastest way she could be here. I think.

I suspect you'll find a work visa is out of the question any time soon. Nice idea but they are limited and the limit for this year is already reached.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

k1 and k3 "almost" have the same processing times... but if you wanna get married in the US.. better have the k1... or just get married and do the k3! goodluck!!!

"do what it takes..." by A&G

para sa karagdagang larawan at mga detalye ng aming paglalakbay...

My IMMIGRATION, POE, CFO and INTERVIEW Experience

when love is real,

it defies all reasons...

when love is true,

it ignores all pains...

when love is great,

it waits, it persists, and lingers forever...

K3 VISA

California Service Center - Texas Service Center - Manila US Embassy

August 2007 - filed I130

September 2007 - filed I129F

April 24, 2008 - interview and VISA APPROVED!

May 02, 2008 - visa in hand, had the CFO stamping done at once, bought ticket online...

May 03, 2008 - flew to US to be with stinky love...

July 22, 2008 - Sent AOS Package to CHICAGO Lockbox

July 24, 2008 - received package

July 29, 2008 - NOA for AOS and EAD

Aug 01, 2008 - Touched....

Oct 01, 2008 - Received EAD

still waiting on AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.