shabzed

unique case - how can i apply?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi,

My case is unique, so I would love advice on which visa path I should pursue. I plan to sponsor my husband of one year. I was told the IR-1/CR-1 is the fastest route, as compared to the K-3 visa. I am currently living with my husband outside of the US, in the UAE, but I am not eligible to apply directly through the consulate because I do not have 6 months residence in this country. That means I will have to apply directly to the US. My only proof of domicile in the US (as required for the affidavit of support) is that my tax returns have been sent to a US address and I have a US mailing address (the same for the tax returns). Would this be enough to prove domicile?

Also, my husband's country of origin is Pakistan, but we are not living there as he is working in the UAE now. Would we still have to use the Pakistan address for my husband's residence and would he have to interview in Pakistan?

Thanks!

Hi,

My case is unique, so I would love advice on which visa path I should pursue. I plan to sponsor my husband of one year. I was told the IR-1/CR-1 is the fastest route, as compared to the K-3 visa. I am currently living with my husband outside of the US, in the UAE, but I am not eligible to apply directly through the consulate because I do not have 6 months residence in this country. That means I will have to apply directly to the US. My only proof of domicile in the US (as required for the affidavit of support) is that my tax returns have been sent to a US address and I have a US mailing address (the same for the tax returns). Would this be enough to prove domicile?

Also, my husband's country of origin is Pakistan, but we are not living there as he is working in the UAE now. Would we still have to use the Pakistan address for my husband's residence and would he have to interview in Pakistan?

Thanks!

Hello there. Technically, the K3 should still be faster. Many people are finding that it is taking about the same time now, but it depends on the location of the embassy involved.

How many more month until you can apply directly at the consulate? I've heard some stories about how sticky NVC can be about domicile even though really it should be handled at the embassy. Also, applying directly would be faster. Even if you have six full months before you can apply, you are likely to still receive it faster by applying directly.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Reading a lot of the experiences on this forum, and from our own experience, I would definitely say domicile is easier to manage if you can DCF. Many people are getting stuck at the NVC stage for ages trying to prove domicile, whereas in many Embassies, domicile isn't even mentioned when applying directly.

How long until you hit the residency requirements?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Reading a lot of the experiences on this forum, and from our own experience, I would definitely say domicile is easier to manage if you can DCF. Many people are getting stuck at the NVC stage for ages trying to prove domicile, whereas in many Embassies, domicile isn't even mentioned when applying directly.

Thanks for the responses! I have also heard direct filing is the easiest, but I'm afraid waiting another 6 months (the time required for direct filing in the UAE) would be a lot of wasted time, especially if for some reason the embassy here says I can't file even after the 6 months for some other issue. Do you still think DCF after 6 months would be faster than K-3 filing now? If domicile is that tricky, then maybe I should wait for this.

Thanks for the responses! I have also heard direct filing is the easiest, but I'm afraid waiting another 6 months (the time required for direct filing in the UAE) would be a lot of wasted time, especially if for some reason the embassy here says I can't file even after the 6 months for some other issue. Do you still think DCF after 6 months would be faster than K-3 filing now? If domicile is that tricky, then maybe I should wait for this.

Well... with the K3, you might not get into the same tricky situation with domicile since it's a non-immigrant visa. It means you'd have the expense and pain of your husband adjusting status after you moved, but it should happen quite a bit faster than waiting to be eligible to file abroad and then going through the process for CR1 visa.

So I think it comes down to your personal situation really and what's most important to you. If you'd like to return to the US with him as soon as possible and don't mind the extra expense of AOS (Adjustment of Status), then I vote that you go for the K3 and start filing everything asap using a US address (hopefully your parents, another family member, or close friend would be willing to help with this). Then you would consider your time in the UAE simply a visit rather than living there temporarily.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hey sallams

I am in the same situation as you

My husband lives in UAE I applied for him after 3months of marriage and then I was living in Abu Dhabi for 6months. I went with K-3 visa route. If your marriage took place in pakistan then your husband will go thru Islamabad embassy. They will be mailing out packets and or Packet 3 at your husband's UAE address. contact me offline if you have further questions. My husband's interview is in 2 days so please for him that everything goes good.

Takecare

look forward to hearing from you

Farah

Hi,

ou

Thanks!

Hey sallams

I am in the same situation as you

My husband lives in UAE I applied for him after 3months of marriage and then I was living in Abu Dhabi for 6months. I went with K-3 visa route. If your marriage took place in pakistan then your husband will go thru Islamabad embassy. They will be mailing out packets and or Packet 3 at your husband's UAE address. contact me offline if you have further questions. My husband's interview is in 2 days so please for him that everything goes good.

Takecare

look forward to hearing from you

Farah

come to the Islamabad forum for more support and answers to questions

Hi,

ou

Thanks!

I-129F (K3) Form:

07-08-06 – Married

01-17-07 – NOA1 rec’d

05-10-07– I-129F Approved, in 90 days from your filing date.

05-10-07 – Forwarded to ISB Emb.

06-19-07 – Initial Interview date but since he had business trips later changed to August 28, 2007 put on AP , given white slip

03-28-08 – call DOS case going in & out of AP

03-30-08 - called ISB said they requested case to be expedited

04-08-08 - Husband received email from ISB to pick up visa :) :) yippppyyyyyyyy

04-02-08 - VISA PRINT DATE

04-21-08 - will be in ISB to pick up visa :) :)

VISA IN HAND on 04-21-08 VISA Issuance DATE on 04-02-08

June 6, 2008 Arrived in USA POE Detroit, <10mins to do immigration, very nice + helpful officer, Zero harassment level even though husband has a very very common name

.png

.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.