Angie Y Shane

Back ground checks

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Needing some advise about security checks, that are done during the I-130 process? I'm the person getting my wife here from Bogotá, Colombia. I'm 32 years old and I have one prior conviction from when I was 21 years old from a stupid bar fight with a guy's night out. As embarrassed to admit my past stupidity I need to at least gain knowledge?

I have been told that they are mainly focused on my wife in an I-130 petition. I did not sign anything being able to disclose my conviction from 11 years ago. The advice I was given was to not file a K-3 status for the being of the prior conviction in 1996. That way I would not have to disclose my conviction and worry of administrative decision or any delays.

Does anyone have any ideas or advice and knowledge of the process of the I-130 process? Should I even worry of this?

God bless & thank you,

Filed: Other Timeline

The do in fact do a background check on the petitioner (you) and I believe they are specifically looking to see if you have a history of domestic violence, or of prior petitions for foreign wives.

Were you an adult when you were convicted before? Does your wife know about the conviction? They may ask her about it, they may not.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Don't lie, and what you have done doesn't sound like a big deal. it was a mistake and I'm sure if asked you will have no difficulties showing that to them. Inform your wife about it, 'cause they might ask her about it but only at the interview stage.

Married Jan 2007

I-130

03/21/2007 sent to NSC - 06/18/2007 NOA2 - 89 days

NVC stage

07/24/2007 e-mailed DS-3032 choice of agent

01/04/2008 Approved - visa in my hand! 289 days

01/13/2008 Entry the US

10/15/2009 I-751

12/03/2009 Biometrics

1/06/2010 Removal of conditions approved

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Here is a link which is a bit outdated, but still may give you some insight, for what it's worth.

http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress03/garrity071003.htm

Edited by Nagishkaw

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
The do in fact do a background check on the petitioner (you) and I believe they are specifically looking to see if you have a history of domestic violence, or of prior petitions for foreign wives.

Were you an adult when you were convicted before? Does your wife know about the conviction? They may ask her about it, they may not.

Thank to those who responded back. I did in fact tell my wife. In fact we joke about it in a humorous way for making my past a time in my life that I was young stupid. But yes my wife knows my situation well. We were both only worried that it may delay our I-130 petition. We are still in pending status. Thank you guys for your feedback. I was 21 years old and now I’m 32 years old. My maturity has changed allot. I wonder if should take copies of the police report with me to the interview in case they ask if my wife knows? Or better yet write a confession letter have my wife take it and present it only if they ask? My attorney told me they couldn’t deny you the visa if you are honest. I in fact told my wife in the beginning of our relationship.

God bless.

Edited by whitteds

Filed: Other Timeline

The deny visas for all sorts of reasons, some of them justified, some seemingly not.

Personally I don't think you'd need to take the court documents, IMO, as long as your wife already knows about it, she should be fine.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

They do ask for court documents for any arrest. So if you have them you'll have to bring them, I still don't think it will be a big deal. Don't write a confession, if they wanna see something they want to see docs. But than again don't worry about it too much.

Married Jan 2007

I-130

03/21/2007 sent to NSC - 06/18/2007 NOA2 - 89 days

NVC stage

07/24/2007 e-mailed DS-3032 choice of agent

01/04/2008 Approved - visa in my hand! 289 days

01/13/2008 Entry the US

10/15/2009 I-751

12/03/2009 Biometrics

1/06/2010 Removal of conditions approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.