Jahan&Veena

London Medical - Knightsbridge Doctors

2,055 posts in this topic

I really don't understand why they bother with a private medical when everyone in the UK has access to 'free' healthcare.

The UK doesn't make Americans get medicals when they apply for visas.

The sweet irony of course being that a returning USC doesn't have to get a medical and could bring all kinds of illnesses home!

The sweet irony of course being that a returning USC doesn't have to get a medical and could bring all kinds of illnesses home!

It does and doesn't make sense at the same time. They way they look at it, they cannot deny a returning American entry to his country, just because he/she has AIDS or some other virus like illness. However, the U.S. Government can decide whether or not to let a foreigner with such illness, because they know right away, that that individual will use the healthcare system. Although, not like it's a free one :P

Piece of advice for anyone waiting for their medical, and thinking that they may need a letter:

I came pre-armed with a letter from my GP, which the (very rude) doctor refused to accept. He insisted that I supply them with a new letter (which had the same content).

So- f you suspect that you will need a letter from your GP for any reason my advice is not to get one beforehand, but rather to have an appt with your GP set up for the day after the medical. If Knightsbridge need a letter, you can send a scan by email, so as soon as you have it, you will be able to send it and the medical paperwork won't be sitting at Knightsbridge for too long.

I was beyond peeved to have thought/planned ahead and end up running all over London to get a new letter anyway! Luckily my GP is wonderful, and I could beg for an appt asap and keep everything moving.

Good luck!

That's horrible. All of that for nothing. Well, my wife isn't from the UK and wegot her vaccination records translated, so she can take it to her medical. Some of that stuff was not legibly written, so I wonder whether or not to take it to her GP first, instead of Knightsbridge. I'm afraid they might not want to study the vaccination report and tell her to take shots she was already given in her country - which costs a lot when done there.

That's horrible. All of that for nothing. Well, my wife isn't from the UK and wegot her vaccination records translated, so she can take it to her medical. Some of that stuff was not legibly written, so I wonder whether or not to take it to her GP first, instead of Knightsbridge. I'm afraid they might not want to study the vaccination report and tell her to take shots she was already given in her country - which costs a lot when done there.

If you show up with vaccination records they're kinda pointless unless they are recent. I couldn't prove i'd had MMR or tetanus in the last 10 yrs so I had them again. I've had MMR countless number of times now from moving from country to country and losing medical records inbetween but it doesn't hurt to have them again. Most other things are waived as not being 'age appropriate'. It cost me £70 for two shots which was steep but it was done and recorded properly on the form they want for AOS so that saves a big hassle down the road.

If you show up with vaccination records they're kinda pointless unless they are recent. I couldn't prove i'd had MMR or tetanus in the last 10 yrs so I had them again. I've had MMR countless number of times now from moving from country to country and losing medical records inbetween but it doesn't hurt to have them again. Most other things are waived as not being 'age appropriate'. It cost me £70 for two shots which was steep but it was done and recorded properly on the form they want for AOS so that saves a big hassle down the road.

That's why I want her to do the tetanus and whatever else she might need, locally at her GP's office. It doesn't cost that much.

That's why I want her to do the tetanus and whatever else she might need, locally at her GP's office. It doesn't cost that much.

You can do that if you think you know what she needs to have. In my case it was MMR and Dtap (diptheria and tetanus booster I think) Depending on the time of year the medical is done a Flu shot is required too. However your GP may or may not have those vaccinations, or she may end up getting shots she doesn't need for the purposes of US immigration. That's why I left it to the vaccination nurse to access (on advice from here) as they will confirm what is really needed based on the form they complete for you.

But its entirely up to you.

Edited by Kiwinyc

You can do that if you think you know what she needs to have. In my case it was MMR and Dtap (diptheria and tetanus booster I think) Depending on the time of year the medical is done a Flu shot is required too. However your GP may or may not have those vaccinations, or she may end up getting shots she doesn't need for the purposes of US immigration. That's why I left it to the vaccination nurse to access (on advice from here) as they will confirm what is really needed based on the form they complete for you.

But its entirely up to you.

I doubt she'd need a flu shot and if so, I'll be glad if she doesn't have to get one. Anyway, I will have her consult with her GP about her vaccinations, but if the doctor at Knightsbridge says she needs certain ones, can she have them done at her GP and mail the proof back to them?

Filed: Timeline

My medical was a complete disaster I was so nervous and anxious I wrongly answer done of the serious question incorrectly...I have had depression and an episode of self harm a longgg time ago....I denied it at the medical!

Of course she wants more information from my GP...he is doing a report and of course my past history will be on it...I now don't know if to submit it and carry on the road....and hope I don't get a ban!,

Or do I not submit it and my fiancé and I have to stay apart forever!! This is tearing us up so much it's just an horrendous nightmare and I am just scared to death!! Because of financial reasons he cannot come to the uk!

I don't know what the best course of action would be for us....please help with advise??

I doubt she'd need a flu shot and if so, I'll be glad if she doesn't have to get one. Anyway, I will have her consult with her GP about her vaccinations, but if the doctor at Knightsbridge says she needs certain ones, can she have them done at her GP and mail the proof back to them?

http://www.uscis.gov...on-requirements

Q. When does the flu season start for purposes of the seasonal flu vaccine requirement? Since the seasonal flu vaccine is required, do I have to get the seasonal flu vaccine if it is not the flu season?

A. For purposes of the immigration medical examination, the flu season starts on October 1 and ends on March 31 each year. If your immigration medical examination is during this period, you are required to have the seasonal flu vaccine. If you have an immigration medical examination completed between April 1 and September 30, when it is not the flu season for immigration purposes, you are not required to document that you have received the seasonal flu vaccine.

If your Fiancee has her medical before March 31st she'll be required to have a flu shot. She can, if she wants to, decline to have all the missing vaccinations administered there and then, and have them done at her GP afterwards, but then they'll be marked as missing on the form given to her from the Medical (DS-3025). Then later on at AOS you will have to pay for a Civil Surgeon to put the two records (the one from the Medical and the proof of the subsequent vaccinations from her GP) together into the required i-693 form instead.

Personally, I decided it was less hassle for me to pay £70 and have the DS-3025 completed properly there and then and be sure I could use it for AOS than to go to my GP for the vaccinations and then have to get a CIvil Surgeon do a i-693 instead.

She can, if she wants to, decline to have all the missing vaccinations administered there and then, and have them done at her GP afterwards, but then they'll be marked as missing on the form given to her from the Medical (DS-3025). Then later on at AOS you will have to pay for a Civil Surgeon to put the two records (the one from the Medical and the proof of the subsequent vaccinations from her GP) together into the required i-693 form instead.

Personally, I decided it was less hassle for me to pay £70 and have the DS-3025 completed properly there and then and be sure I could use it for AOS than to go to my GP for the vaccinations and then have to get a CIvil Surgeon do a i-693 instead.

We are still waiting for NOA2, so the medical will definitely take place after March 31st - which is why I said earlier that I doubt she'd need to get the flu shot. Good thing, 'cause I believe they do more harm than good. Of course, this is a matter of personal opinion ;) However, I do suggest reading recent studies on it.

I'm not sure what you meant by: "(...) form given to her from the Medical (DS-3025)." - I thought the completed form is sent by the doctor to the Embassy. Am I wrong? Also, my wife is not going to be doing AOS, for she will have an IR-1 status and we're doing this through DCF. Anyway, the reason I mentioned getting missing vaccines the day after her medical, was because someone has mentioned that earlier in the post - this one or a similar one. I just wanted to make sure that this can in fact be done. Some GP's give some vaccines for free, so why should I pay at Knightsbridge. The 235 quid for the medical, is already a lot.

You'd be better off getting them for free before the medical and having the records updated and printed there and then like I did. If memory serves for IR/CR1 and DCF all vaccines must be complete at the time of the medical/visa interview anyway. K1 does not, as they have to have them all complete by AOS.

DS-3025 is also not really an issue for anyone going down the IR/CR1 route, or the DCF route for those either. It's a K1 thing and that's the form you send in with AOS instead of having to go to a Civil Surgeon if you don't get all your shots done in the UK.

"What's yours is mine!"

You'd be better off getting them for free before the medical and having the records updated and printed there and then like I did. If memory serves for IR/CR1 and DCF all vaccines must be complete at the time of the medical/visa interview anyway. K1 does not, as they have to have them all complete by AOS.

DS-3025 is also not really an issue for anyone going down the IR/CR1 route, or the DCF route for those either. It's a K1 thing and that's the form you send in with AOS instead of having to go to a Civil Surgeon if you don't get all your shots done in the UK.

That makes all the more sense, thanks. I will schedule an appointment for my wife with her GP and have her get all the shots she needs. Hopefully, Knightsbridge will not get fussy about it. Just a quick question though, can someone go to the medical with my wife - in order to help with paperwork and translation? She might need that.

That makes all the more sense, thanks. I will schedule an appointment for my wife with her GP and have her get all the shots she needs. Hopefully, Knightsbridge will not get fussy about it. Just a quick question though, can someone go to the medical with my wife - in order to help with paperwork and translation? She might need that.

Yeah, sorry I did not notice that you were IR/CR1. I don't think there's a problem if someone goes with your wife for translation purposes etc - call them and ask, but I can't see it being an issue.

My medical was a complete disaster I was so nervous and anxious I wrongly answer done of the serious question incorrectly...I have had depression and an episode of self harm a longgg time ago....I denied it at the medical!

Of course she wants more information from my GP...he is doing a report and of course my past history will be on it...I now don't know if to submit it and carry on the road....and hope I don't get a ban!,

Or do I not submit it and my fiancé and I have to stay apart forever!! This is tearing us up so much it's just an horrendous nightmare and I am just scared to death!! Because of financial reasons he cannot come to the uk!

I don't know what the best course of action would be for us....please help with advise??

What questions did you answer incorrectly and why do they want a report from your GP. They usually only ask for your medical records if you give them a reason to. But as you ssid, you denied you had any past problems.

Did they suspect you were lying because of how nervous you were acting?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.