peteandrepete

Sending Money Home

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am getting ready to file all my papers for a K1. I have been doing reasearch on the net and thats how I found this site. I've been to the Philippines now to meet my beloved; however I am concerned and I wanted to ask the group their opinions on this. We were talking last week before I came back to america and she mentioned that once she was here she wanted to go to work to send money back to her mother and younger sister. Right now I am westernunioning them about $700 a month for all three of them. None of them work much and they say jobs are hard to find there. I can believe that now that I have seen the place. But I got to thinking that she wants me to keep sending the money and she wants to send what she makes too. She has said its traditional that we do this, and that when she comes here, her family will expect this of us. I do love her and I want for her to have a good life there, especially while we wait. She just doesnt seem to be able to tell me what the money goes for. When I press on this subject noone will talk to me.

How much do others send? what is "traditional?" and how do you talk (or get them) to talk to you about money?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I am getting ready to file all my papers for a K1. I have been doing reasearch on the net and thats how I found this site. I've been to the Philippines now to meet my beloved; however I am concerned and I wanted to ask the group their opinions on this. We were talking last week before I came back to america and she mentioned that once she was here she wanted to go to work to send money back to her mother and younger sister. Right now I am westernunioning them about $700 a month for all three of them. None of them work much and they say jobs are hard to find there. I can believe that now that I have seen the place. But I got to thinking that she wants me to keep sending the money and she wants to send what she makes too. She has said its traditional that we do this, and that when she comes here, her family will expect this of us. I do love her and I want for her to have a good life there, especially while we wait. She just doesnt seem to be able to tell me what the money goes for. When I press on this subject noone will talk to me.

How much do others send? what is "traditional?" and how do you talk (or get them) to talk to you about money?

I dont think that proper or right to send money as part of PHilippines tradition or culture.. But based on my case once i have my own family its not my responsibility to send or give money to my parents . But am planning send money to my parents not regular basis, just anytime id like and it will be come from my own pocket not my husband pocket, coz am plannin to work once i move there..

Aloha,

I realize everybody is different and everybody's situation is unique. But if I were you and I was in your situation, I would not be feeling many warm fuzzies. $700 is alot of pesos, and to expect this even before you're married, and even before you file the damn paperwork?? I think that is totally unreasonable. I see plenty red flags, and I think you do too. It doesn't feel right at all.

My best to you,

Bill

AOS Journey

01/18/08 - Mailed AOS packet to Chi-town

02/05/08 - Received Notice for Biometrics

02/23/08 - Received Notice for Interview (AOS)

02/26/08 - Scheduled Biometrics Done!

03/11/08 - Received Notice of Approval (AP)

03/13/08 - Card production ordered (EAD) Gee! Thanks a lot!!

03/21/08 - Approval Notice sent (EAD) Yahoo!!

03/24/08 - Touched & received EAD card today!! Yipee!!

03/25/08 - Scheduled Interview (AOS) Approved! Thankful!!

03/26/08 - Notice mailed welcoming as new permanent resident

03/28/08 - Card production ordered!! Wow!!!

03/31/08 - Received welcome letter.. Nice!

04/04/08 - Received green card through mail! Truly great! Mahalo nui loa!!

4589670_bodyshot_175x233_1205147893574.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

700 dollars a month? Wow that is a good salary for 2 people with college degrees working in PI, or one very good job. My fiance used to work for the HR dept at 5 star hotel and only made 200 dollars a month. She has a bachelors degree, too. Also if she cant say where to money is going then that is another red flag to me. Everybody situation is different, and mine is not very common, where most of her family works at good jobs. I would have a very good discussion with her, and try and dig around these forums for posts on this topic.

Opo! Most of the time when you marry a pinay part of the "deal" is you/she help out her family.

One of the main reasons she wants to marry you is to better her life and help the family back home.

You get a maganda LOVING lady [most of the time] in return which you probably didn't have a chance of getting in the US.

$700 a month is a LOT of money to give when you consider most Filipinos live on less than 250P a day.

We send $100 a month to feed Mamang and Papang. Plus pay the electric and DSL bill which isn't much.

"We" also own 4 "houses" there and Mamang, Papang, Bro in law and family, Sis in Law and family live in rent free.

They all work tho and and NEVER ask for a peso.

Some posted "red flags" are flying and they are correct!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

well, $700 is a lot!!! it's not reasonable to send that much to a fiance/e every month. my thoughts to you is that you ask her why she asks that much from you. and i truly believe that she should work hard and earn money to support herself and/or family and dont take advantage from the kindness of others.

you know, there are a lot of jobs available in the market. where on earth is she located? she can apply in a call center or even a saleslady in a mall. she can even start a small business with the money you're sending to her.

for me, i never asked any amount of money from my fiance to support myself since i can support myself and lifestyle coz i know, you guys there in the US are also working hard to earn those dollars.

you better talk to your fiancee before you process your docs and ending up in tears and regrets..

i am also a filipina but i cannot tolerate that kind of attitude. being dependent to somebody for you to live is such a bad attitude!

K-1 Visa Timeline

04/03/07 - Engagement Day

06/05/07 - NOA1 according to USCIS Website

10/16/07 - NOA2 according to CRIS - THANK YOU OH LORD!

01/08/08 - Embassy Interview - Thank God! Thanks VJs!

02/23/08 - POE = LAX >>> Goodbye my beloved Pinas!

03/13/08 - Civil Wedding in 90210

04/19/08 - Church wedding in Azusa

AOS Timeline

05/24/08 - NOA1 dates for I-485/AOS and I-765/EAD

07/22/08 - Biometrics Appointment at South El Monte, CA for I-485 only; Application Touched!

08/13/08 - RFE letter received in the mail

08/22/08 - Reply to RFE sent...Oh Lord, please guide us!

08/27/08 - RFE response received; Case resumed

09/13/08 - EAD card received

12/10/08 - AOS Interview in Los Angeles - APPROVED!!! PRAISE GOD FOREVER!

12/22/08 - Green Card Received - THANKS GOD!!! Thanks our VJ FAMILY!!!

Removal of Conditions Timeline

09/13/10 - Form I-751 Packet Sent thru USPS

09/14/10 - NOA1 Date (09/15/10 on the uscis website)

09/15/10 - $545 Check Cashed

09/18/10 - Received NOA1

11/04/10 - Biometrics Appointment

01/06/11 - ROC Approval Date/Card Production Ordered

$700 is a lot of money. From the time I met my fiance and up until now I have not sent her a single dollar. I will though very soon for her medical and interview expenses which I MUST shoulder and of course her plane ticket coming here.

There is something wrong with your situation. I believe you should start demanding answers to your questions.

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

Timeline
well, $700 is a lot!!! it's not reasonable to send that much to a fiance/e every month. my thoughts to you is that you ask her why she asks that much from you. and i truly believe that she should work hard and earn money to support herself and/or family and dont take advantage from the kindness of others.

you know, there are a lot of jobs available in the market. where on earth is she located? she can apply in a call center or even a saleslady in a mall. she can even start a small business with the money you're sending to her.

for me, i never asked any amount of money from my fiance to support myself since i can support myself and lifestyle coz i know, you guys there in the US are also working hard to earn those dollars.

you better talk to your fiancee before you process your docs and ending up in tears and regrets..

i am also a filipina but i cannot tolerate that kind of attitude. being dependent to somebody for you to live is such a bad attitude!

yeah right!! same here $700 is alot, But i guess ur fiancee is the breadwinner of the family??? My fiance gave me monthly allowances too, actually he sent me a lot more than id needed in a month thats why i asked him to sent me the exact amount i will be needed in a month. Am not working right now but i can only spend $200 a month. But i just dont know what kind of lifestyle she have. Coz for me 200 was enough

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I offered to send my fiancee money, she didn't ask. I sent her $150 the first time so she could open a bank account which I could deposite directly into. after that I have only sent $50 every 2 weeks.

When I asked how she is using it she says she hasen't, it is all still in the bank. She has asked to use some of it on occasion, like when she had to send some of the visa paperwork to me fast.

I want to ask if I should have offered my fiancee to send her money ? I really didnt think about this and she never asked.

Removal of Conditions :

Timeline
I want to ask if I should have offered my fiancee to send her money ? I really didnt think about this and she never asked.

well my opinion. if she have work its ok not to ask, but if she's jobless right now. I guess thats the time u need to help her in her monthly expenses.. Based on my exp. my fiancee support me right now its bcoz am jobless but when i was working i managed my expenses by myself.

well my opinion. if she have work its ok not to ask, but if she's jobless right now. I guess thats the time u need to help her in her monthly expenses.. Based on my exp. my fiancee support me right now its bcoz am jobless but when i was working i managed my expenses by myself.

I guess the reason why i never asked her if i should send her money is because she has a job, and a very good one too. My thoughts were that if i ask her if she needs money, she might get insulted. Thanks for the words.

Removal of Conditions :

"But I got to thinking that she wants me to keep sending the money and she wants to send what she makes too. She has said its traditional that we do this, and that when she comes here, her family will expect this of us."

So, in other words, you're thinking this, not confirming this?

#1 - Where do they live in the Philippines? If in Manila, then $700 for 3 households, would not be a lot of money. But, How were they making it before you arrived on the scene?

#2 - I'm guessing she means, "My family is my burden, I want to work and send them money, your money is our money."

#3 - Big WARNING - You're establishing the RICH AMERICAN concept in the entire family. You need to clarify this issue gently with her, and establish what you would like to sponsor. Always know excactly what your money is intended for. If you don't establish control, your fame will spread to all the uncles and aunts and your requests for money will grow and grow. (My fiancee's extended family have made lots of requests, we both choose to ignore.)

Examples: I have elected to sponsor my future nephew in his high school expenses, and his future college expenses. (about $50/month now, $100/month later) With the understanding that this only happens with good grades, and with progress shown to me. I also paid for 1/2 of a generator for her parents, who live on an island with no electricity. Ann and her sisters paid for the other 1/2. Otherwise, my main contributions at this time are the occassional Pizza Blowout for Ann, her sisters, and cousins who live together.

#4 - Don't get to worried about this. Start talking to her about family and how they are using money, how you two will help, and about your future together. Just define things with her, gently, and you'll soon have an answer.

I'm betting it will all work out, that you're just having a lot of miscommunication, and need to get things cleared up between you two.

If it's going to be, it's up to me!

LoveLine (aka Timeline)

January 2005 - Met Annie online

February 13th 2006 - Met in Real - WOW!! Ikaw maganda!

February 14th 2006 - Proved I was really serious, proposed to Annie - She said "Yes"

February 2006 - January 2007 - Both working, saving, planning. Continuously chasing Annie online, on phone...

January 22, 2007 - February 4th, 2007 - Together again in Philippines, working on paperwork, visiting family.

February 27th 2007 - I-129F Mailed to Nebraska

March 6th - NOA1 Received.

May 23rd - NOA2, Received Approval Email

June 14th - Receive letter from NVC, packet on the way to Manila Embassy

July 30th - Annie receives packet from Embassy, appointment scheduled for September.

August 29th - Annie survives Blood Draw, Injections, and successfully completes Medical at St. Lukes.

September 13th - Annie is a huge success at the Embassy, SHE IS APPROVED!

September 20th - Visa in Hand, tickets purchased..

December 18th - Jumped on Airplane, Philippines for Christmas and New Year's.

December 27th - CFO Seminar Succesfully Completed

January 8th - Jumped on Airplane to USA together, Seattle POE, arrived home to Kansas.

March 14, 2008 - Married

May 19, 2008 - AOS NOA1 Recieved, Biometrics scheduled for June 18.

#3 - Big WARNING - You're establishing the RICH AMERICAN concept in the entire family. You need to clarify this issue gently with her, and establish what you would like to sponsor. Always know excactly what your money is intended for. If you don't establish control, your fame will spread to all the uncles and aunts and your requests for money will grow and grow. (My fiancee's extended family have made lots of requests, we both choose to ignore.)

I agree. I know of someone who sends money to his fiancee , even gifts to nieces. . now she will be interviewed by september and he is already complaining to me he is financially hard up. He is renting a room and missed his last car payment. I guess he wants to impress her too much and the family he is not thinking about the time she will finally get to america. Not smart at all.

Removal of Conditions :

Western Union charges a lot just to send the money and then kills you on the conversion rate too, like a peso or two per dollar.

I belong to a credit union so opened up a savings account that I linked to my checking/savings. I also received an ATM card for this new account. I gave the ATM card to my fiancee and when she would need money I would transfer it from my checking to that savings account. That account was charged $1.50 per withdrawl. It sure beat Western Union and the other money transfer companies.

When Claudeth came here she gave the card to her parents and now sends them money every month by a simple deposit to that savings account. She also has a checking account that is linked to the savings account so she can even transfer the money electronically.

Check into it, It might save you some bucks.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.