thetreble

Off Topic Forum...

8,274 posts in this topic

Here are some photos from the mostly fogged in race/regatta I just did.

The 333 miles sailboat race from Chicago to Mackinac Island.

Almost 3 days to get there...it felt longer. Ha!

MACslbtfog1.jpg

Could hardly see any boats and then there it would be!

Almost got hit by a ferry.

MACeyeinthesky.jpg

eye in the sky

MACprocessionlighthouse.jpg

Looking back at the mark rounding.

MackinacIslandlighthouse.jpg

View from the island.

This 100th anniversary race drew 430 boats, and media attention.

The weather was nuts; if not foggy and somewhat calm, then it was crazy winds and some wild rain.

The lightning show and the stars and the orange almost full moon in Sunday night and then the huge wind bringing us to the finish made the race palatable. :)

What an experience!

Of course I cannot take photos when the real action is taking place. My hands are full in those moments.

Can anyone remind what sleep is?

:star:

Edited by SpiritAlight

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

What happens on the waters, stays on the waters!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Yo Spirit Waving.gif

Where the spirits have you been???????

Thank Len!

And i miss this place.

Seems like there is less and less time....for some reason.

I am glad to still be alive (no I am not being dramatic...I would admit that):

a ferry blasted its horn (2 seconds from us) and came out of the fog and almost hit us.

The four of us on deck quickly reacted to avoid the collision and to turn the boat in such a way as not to break anything, i.e. the mast or rip sails.

The seven below went flying to the side of the boat that was on its ear!

Ha!

Yes Flames9...you know it!

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Timeline

A few years before I got posted my ship--HMCS Kootney, it was involved in a collision with a civi boat! Was foggy out, vis was next to nil i was told and the Captain had orders the radars shut off as they were in midst of a "game" Obviously they didn't win,lol Dont think anyone was too badly hurt. Glad all turned out well

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Have fun E!

Trailmix -- I do the same thing, thinking its a bit early then remembering where I am.

Marilyn --the first few days we were here we went out and bought a new washer and dryer. I went a little wild and got the front loaders, but with 6 of us there was no way I wanted to go to the laundromat

Oh I so want front end loaders...well, just to have new ones would be divine! The washer I have now works, but it's old as dirt and loves to "walk" when it spins. Dryer is ok...but you know when you buy a new washer you need a matching dryer. ;)

I feel for you Marilyn...I've done the laundromat thing...it's sooo not fun. I hope you get a fantastic set one day. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My old set used to walk if i didnt keep an eye on it just before we moved i had to replace the belt then the dial went on it, as for the dryer it was ok it took twice as long to dry anything but it did the job. I really hated the machine by the time i moved took 2 days to do laundry. If it wasn't for me selling my house we would not have spent so much on the set. all I ever had was old used ones so it was nice to be able to get a the "dream set".

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Love my front end loader!! Uses soo much less water, more water gets wringed out, which equals faster dryer time, which equals saved $$$$$. Was the very first purchase when we bought our condo!! gave away the washer/dryer that came with the condo for free on craigslist, went to a very deserving home!!

Edited by flames9

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Have fun E!

Trailmix -- I do the same thing, thinking its a bit early then remembering where I am.

Marilyn --the first few days we were here we went out and bought a new washer and dryer. I went a little wild and got the front loaders, but with 6 of us there was no way I wanted to go to the laundromat

Oh I so want front end loaders...well, just to have new ones would be divine! The washer I have now works, but it's old as dirt and loves to "walk" when it spins. Dryer is ok...but you know when you buy a new washer you need a matching dryer. ;)

I feel for you Marilyn...I've done the laundromat thing...it's sooo not fun. I hope you get a fantastic set one day. :)

here's hoping...

I so want a front loader too.. those are the bomb.. :thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
Here are some photos from the mostly fogged in race/regatta I just did.

The 333 miles sailboat race from Chicago to Mackinac Island.

Almost 3 days to get there...it felt longer. Ha!

MACslbtfog1.jpg

Could hardly see any boats and then there it would be!

Almost got hit by a ferry.

MACeyeinthesky.jpg

eye in the sky

MACprocessionlighthouse.jpg

Looking back at the mark rounding.

MackinacIslandlighthouse.jpg

View from the island.

This 100th anniversary race drew 430 boats, and media attention.

The weather was nuts; if not foggy and somewhat calm, then it was crazy winds and some wild rain.

The lightning show and the stars and the orange almost full moon in Sunday night and then the huge wind bringing us to the finish made the race palatable. :)

What an experience!

Of course I cannot take photos when the real action is taking place. My hands are full in those moments.

Can anyone remind what sleep is?

Sleep, those little slices of death; Oh how I loathe them. :lol:

Great photos and it is indeed always a pleasure to hear from Her Most Trascendental Empress of VJ, we are all humbled whenever you grace us by your presence. :thumbs:    Don't worry about being busy, the other day some weird guy was telling me "time is fleeting, madness takes its toll." :lol:   Sounds like the race had everything but a white whale. :lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline
What happens on the waters, stays on the waters!!

Unless the lighthouse is dark. :lol:

IR5

Timeline

Spirit, I can empathize with your experience missing that ferry in the fog. I used to crew for my Dad, and during C.O.R.K. (Canadian Olympic Regatta, Kingston) the year before the Olympics (1976) we were taking alternate crews and coaches out to Charlie course where the Tornadoes were racing. We had an old Cal 28 at the time with a flush deck and the reputation of sleeping 6 and drinking 40! Anyway we were pretty well loaded with 13 people aboard on the far end of Charlie course when a line squall came through. Lightning was striking the water around us, all of us taking care to stay away from anything metal (hard on a boat's deck!), visibility at zero because of the driving rain when the wind literally tore the clew out of the foresail! Nothing we could do but run with the wind and the course was directly through the center of the race course. We were praying there were no Tornadoes on a collision course either way - us or them. Fortunately we were far enough out on Lake Ontario that we knew we were safe from shoals or running aground and all we could do was run until the squall played out and we could safely bring the foresail down and put another up. There were a lot of 'casualties' and some 'heroism' on the lake that day. One Tornado catapulted 'end to end'!! before fragmenting and sinking. Another competitor close by saw it happen (as did a media person on board a nearby support boat and it was all caught on tape) and immediately went to the rescue so the three man crew was saved. A number of boats dismasted and sails were torn - ours wasn't the only one losing a clew. So, your story reminded me of that event and I can empathize with your experience.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
A few years before I got posted my ship--HMCS Kootney, it was involved in a collision with a civi boat! Was foggy out, vis was next to nil i was told and the Captain had orders the radars shut off as they were in midst of a "game" Obviously they didn't win,lol Dont think anyone was too badly hurt. Glad all turned out well

If it was a war game, I wonder what would have happened if the civilian vessel had a cannon instead of a horn, in the fog it might have been interesting if the civilian captain fired it. :bonk:

IR5

Timeline
Spirit, I can empathize with your experience missing that ferry in the fog. I used to crew for my Dad, and during C.O.R.K. (Canadian Olympic Regatta, Kingston) the year before the Olympics (1976) we were taking alternate crews and coaches out to Charlie course where the Tornadoes were racing. We had an old Cal 28 at the time with a flush deck and the reputation of sleeping 6 and drinking 40! Anyway we were pretty well loaded with 13 people aboard on the far end of Charlie course when a line squall came through. Lightning was striking the water around us, all of us taking care to stay away from anything metal (hard on a boat's deck!), visibility at zero because of the driving rain when the wind literally tore the clew out of the foresail! Nothing we could do but run with the wind and the course was directly through the center of the race course. We were praying there were no Tornadoes on a collision course either way - us or them. Fortunately we were far enough out on Lake Ontario that we knew we were safe from shoals or running aground and all we could do was run until the squall played out and we could safely bring the foresail down and put another up. There were a lot of 'casualties' and some 'heroism' on the lake that day. One Tornado catapulted 'end to end'!! before fragmenting and sinking. Another competitor close by saw it happen (as did a media person on board a nearby support boat and it was all caught on tape) and immediately went to the rescue so the three man crew was saved. A number of boats dismasted and sails were torn - ours wasn't the only one losing a clew. So, your story reminded me of that event and I can empathize with your experience.

Wow Kathryn that sounds like some crazy stuff, glad you made. :thumbs: I always heard that that part of Lake Ontario was really nasty especially near Marysburgh.

IR5

Timeline

Wow Kathryn that sounds like some crazy stuff, glad you made. :thumbs: I always heard that that part of Lake Ontario was really nasty especially near Marysburgh.

There are a significant amount of shipwrecks in that area - so much so that local legends refer to the area as the Bermuda Triangle of the Great Lakes. There are incredibly deep waters there and surprising shoals and with the prevailing winds that whip in around around the islands and across the lake you can get some surprising conflicts between wind and current and wave and huge swells. In some of the channels between the islands the waves can reach 30 or more feet high (between crest and trough) as the massive amounts of water narrow through the smaller gaps - and really short spaces between the waves - that is what makes them dangerous. I remember seeing some monsters tower over top of our mast as we rode between them (on other times, not this one).

Actually, the squall that I described above would have been in the general area that is considered on the eastern edge of the Marysburgh vortex - or a little bit north east of Main Ducks Island. I didn't make that correlation until you mentioned Marysburgh. I was glad we made it too. That is one time that I seriously had questions if we would.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.