thetreble

Off Topic Forum...

8,274 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Good morning! Yes Cassie, what did your Mom win!? My Mom won the Stampede dream home in 1959!

So Husband's last day of work for his company yesterday. Best part of that, aside from the fact he is relieved, is that they got a cake for him and he brought me some! Good cake!

He brought stuff he had in his desk - which isn't much - but did include a winning roll up the rim to win cup, an office 'voodo kit' (secret santa) and some kind of compass/clock/magnifying glass he got at an IBM conference.

So I proceed to toss the compass thing in the garbage. It beeps every hour - cute. I wonder if a lot of the computer guys are out there with their little compasses in the forest.

Anyway, the Office Voodo Kit is untouched! I'm surprised he didn't use it!

coffee_pot.jpg

Was it a nice house that mom won? I just had a vision of the enchanted forest of beeping geeks. :lol: Hunting is not a problem, just Linux them up and shoot them. :innocent: For some reason I keep feeling this weird Office Space-like vibe, did DH make sure Milton got his piece of cake and stapler this time. :lol:

untitled2.jpg

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Timeline
My fitness-nut co-worker used to say "When you win a donut.... do you really win?" :lol:

She sounds like fun :hehe:

She's a he. He has a very intense personality (with a few nuggets of light-heartedness thrown in just so you don't kill him). He used to drive his staff crazy because he was constantly micro-managing them, so I'd get them all in my office venting before they went postal. He had a high rate of absenteeism in his department. :mellow:

Edited by Crikey!
iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Was it a nice house that mom won? I just had a vision of the enchanted forest of beeping geeks. :lol: Hunting is not a problem, just Linux them up and shoot them. :innocent: For some reason I keep feeling this weird Office Space-like vibe, did DH make sure Milton got his piece of cake and stapler this time. :lol:

:lol:

Yes it was a nice house - here is my Mumsie in her new house!

dreamhome.jpg

Timeline
My fitness-nut co-worker used to say "When you win a donut.... do you really win?" :lol:

She sounds like fun :hehe:

She's a he. He has a very intense personality (with a few nuggets of light-heartedness thrown in just so you don't kill him). He used to drive his staff crazy because he was constantly micro-managing them, so I'd get them all in my office venting before they went postal. He had a high rate of absenteeism in his department. :mellow:

The crazed gonzo types, I've run into too many of those in my time, at work (they talk a good fight but ever notice how nothing ever gets done?) and at school. Worse one was this professor that used to always get on my case about hitting the gym or pumping iron or my lousy diet. He was older guy but always freakin' ripped. A few years later he drops dead of a heart attack, too much excitement for his heart. (probably on steroids too, but who knows)

IR5

Timeline

Timeline

Yes it was a nice house - here is my Mumsie in her new house!

dreamhome.jpg

Really nice. I especially like the nervous look on mom's face in the first photo next to the dishwasher, truly priceless. :lol: That is a kewl fireplace and I've always been a big fan of retro home appliances. Only one question about the appliances, white or seafoam green?

IR5

So..... we had an adventurous trip back home. Thank God I held onto that one last Gravol pill. Before my flight had even left the gate we were told that the weather in Florida was terrible and that we would probably not make it to Orlando.... that they would fly as far as they could and then land somewhere and wait out the storm. This, of course, thrilled me to no end. I have been on flights where we have literally dropped out of the sky, so I immediately broke out into a cold sweat and ordered a glass of wine. The pilot kept coming on to give us updates and to tell us of all the flights around us reporting terrible weather and to tighten our seatbelts. I ordered another glass of wine.

After flying above numerous thunderstorms, we lowered speed and started descending. All of a sudden we powered up and were soaring back above the clouds. That was fun. I ordered another glass of wine. The guys behind me started telling stories of plane crashes and wind sheers, and wondering whether the Captain was just as terrified as we were. I asked them to pass me another vomit bag.

Okay, I maybe embellished the wine and vomit bag bit. (I had, after all, taken my Gravol.) Obviously, we landed safely. Though there are extra fingernail marks in Southwest's seat pleather. My husband had a worse flight than I did. (His flight took off 15 mins after mine.) They were actually coming in for a landing when the pilot had to abort and they were off up circling again. It seems they had a near miss with another flight. (There were a lot of flights circling due to the weather.) He was very unnerved by that and it took him a long while to recover. I drove home in a torrential downpour. It felt like I was driving a boat. When we got to the house the power kept going out and the hard-wired alarms started going off while we were trying to sleep. (I thought it was the weather radio.) So, anyway.... we're a bit tired, but it's good to be home. ^_^

iagree.gif

So..... we had an adventurous trip back home. Thank God I held onto that one last Gravol pill. Before my flight had even left the gate we were told that the weather in Florida was terrible and that we would probably not make it to Orlando.... that they would fly as far as they could and then land somewhere and wait out the storm. This, of course, thrilled me to no end. I have been on flights where we have literally dropped out of the sky, so I immediately broke out into a cold sweat and ordered a glass of wine. The pilot kept coming on to give us updates and to tell us of all the flights around us reporting terrible weather and to tighten our seatbelts. I ordered another glass of wine.

After flying above numerous thunderstorms, we lowered speed and started descending. All of a sudden we powered up and were soaring back above the clouds. That was fun. I ordered another glass of wine. The guys behind me started telling stories of plane crashes and wind sheers, and wondering whether the Captain was just as terrified as we were. I asked them to pass me another vomit bag.

Okay, I maybe embellished the wine and vomit bag bit. (I had, after all, taken my Gravol.) Obviously, we landed safely. Though there are extra fingernail marks in Southwest's seat pleather. My husband had a worse flight than I did. (His flight took off 15 mins after mine.) They were actually coming in for a landing when the pilot had to abort and they were off up circling again. It seems they had a near miss with another flight. (There were a lot of flights circling due to the weather.) He was very unnerved by that and it took him a long while to recover. I drove home in a torrential downpour. It felt like I was driving a boat. When we got to the house the power kept going out and the hard-wired alarms started going off while we were trying to sleep. (I thought it was the weather radio.) So, anyway.... we're a bit tired, but it's good to be home. ^_^

Glad you are home safe!!!!

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

I know I posted earlier about feeling lonely right now... well, one of my good friends just let me know he has a week's vacation and he'd like to spend it with Bee and me. So now we're planning on taking a drive down to Baltimore so that we can spend the weekend with our mutual friends :D

Yaaaaay! How exciting for you, Nini!!! :dance: Visiting friends are the best. :luv:

hey, my mom dumped the rest of her coffee on my dad when they found out they had won one of the big money prizes -- they need to put THAT in the commercials :P

Whaaaaaat?!!!!! What'd she win? (I wrote "wine" originally. :lol: )

Good morning! Yes Cassie, what did your Mom win!? My Mom won the Stampede dream home in 1959!

Holy #######! That is AWESOME!!!!!!! LOVE the pics. Does your Mom still have the house?

iagree.gif

Timeline

Well, we're glad you made it home safely. :thumbs: I had an incident a while back (in pouring rain also) flying into Cincinnati when we were less than 100ft off the tarmac the clouds cleared enough to see and the pilot realized that the flight in front of us hadn't cleared the runway yet. Full power almost straight up and a hard right turn later we came back around and landed safely. If I had eaten anything that day, I would have lost it. I thought I heard the collision alarm but since the engines were at full thrust, I might have been mistaken. It really is unnerving. Driving in the rain is no picnic either.

Edited by IR5FORMUMSIE

IR5

Timeline
Holy #######! That is AWESOME!!!!!!! LOVE the pics. Does your Mom still have the house?

Exactly what I was thinking.

IR5

Well, we're glad you made it home safely. :thumbs: I had an incident a while back (in pouring rain also) flying into Cincinnati when we were less than 100ft off the tarmac the clouds cleared enough to see and the pilot realized that the flight in front of us hadn't cleared the runway yet. Full power almost straight up and a hard right turn later we came back around and landed safely. If I had eaten anything that day, I would have lost it. I thought I heard the collision alarm but since the engines were at full thrust, I might have been mistaken. It really is unnerving. Driving in the rain is no picnic either.

I think that's exactly what happened to my husband's flight. And it almost happened to ours, but we were the ones on the ground taxiing to the gate. Fun stuff. I had an aborted take-off at O'Hare once. We were heading down the runway and the plane just didn't seem to be picking up enough speed and I was thinking "We're not going to make it". All of a sudden we decelerated and turned off at the end of the runway. The pilot came on and told us that some warning lights in the cockpit were malfunctioning so we were going to get back in line and try it again. I was like.... :help: ..... can we take a vote on this? *hand up in air*

There's this one airport in Greece which is very treacherous. As soon as you fly over the mountains you have to dive-bomb the landing strip or you won't make it. (The runway ends at the Adriatic. It was very exciting the first time I flew in there.) So I stood at the window watching the arrivals as I was waiting for my flight out, and saw no less than FOUR flights abort their landings. Same thing going through my head.... he's not gonna make it.... he's not gonna make it..... Bam. Back up into the air just before dropping off into the drink. I would have hated to be a passenger on one of those flights.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It was actually Dad... not only did he get half a cup of coffee thrown in his face (apparently Mom forgot her cup still had coffee in it in her excitement), he still has the fake cheque in the garage.......for $1000.

My brother is convinced that it is his turn to win something -- between that and the trip to Paris I won, he feels left out of the family luck :lol:

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline

I just won a donut!!!!.............................. But did I really win??? lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

It was actually Dad... not only did he get half a cup of coffee thrown in his face (apparently Mom forgot her cup still had coffee in it in her excitement), he still has the fake cheque in the garage.......for $1000.

My brother is convinced that it is his turn to win something -- between that and the trip to Paris I won, he feels left out of the family luck :lol:

Wow! That's so awesome! (Paris trip included.) Too bad someone wasn't filming at the time. :lol:

I just won a donut!!!!.............................. But did I really win??? lol

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yaaaaaaayyyyy!!!!! You won a donut!!!!!! I love it when people win things. :D

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.