In Gods Hands

Online translating

22 posts in this topic

My husbands first language is arabic (Jordanian) and speaks/understands english pretty good and mine is english (a lil broken too..mixed plate raised in Hawaii (F) ). During our relationship and my 3 month stay in Jordan I learned a few arabic words and phrases (thank God they speak and use their hands alot..just like me).

Ok.. so we meet..talk & talk for hours (phone + txt + internet IMs + voice mssgr + cam)...fall head-over-hills in love... language of love is universal.. we marry "Alhumdullilah!".

He is getting better with his english..but wishes he could express himself more verbally so I can know even more how much he loves me. So (instead of waiting until he becomes more fluent in english) he types IMs & emails to me in arabic and I use the free online translator. The problem is..its a machine and some things I don't understand.

Anyone know of some real good "arabic to english" translator online (free or low-cost)?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Try "Golden Al Wafi translator" my husband uses it. Google has a feature in beta, but the translation is bad.

Good luck.

1st K-1 Journey:

June 2005 - filed

October 2005 - visa interview

March 2006 - AOS packet mailed

DIVORCED

June 2007 - Interview

2008 - 10 year approval

--------

2nd K-1 Journey:

07/28/07 - AOS paperwork mailed

07/30/07 - Received at lockbox

09/18/07 - Biometrics

10/15/07 - Transferred to CSC

01/09/08 - AOS approved w/o interivew

11/01/09 - Lift conditions

11/01/10 - interview to lift conditions/10-yr card

01/01/10 - 10 year approval

DIVORCED

Try "Golden Al Wafi translator" my husband uses it. Google has a feature in beta, but the translation is bad.

Good luck.

I would agree that google can translate Arabic in beta, (translate.google.com) but any spelling errors or grammar errors will leave you with a pure mess of a translation. It still might be helpful if you did only a couple of words at a time. Or you could use a combination of two or more translating tools. That way, any words that one doesn't pick up on, the other service might. I know your messages are very personal (coming from your husband) but any small or impersonal words you could ask someone from here to translate for you. I wouldn't mind helping you.

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish,

but others' beliefs do not concern you. - Wafa Sultan

qualitydisplaya1.gif11573404S-1-vi.gifdontbelieve-mufkin.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.lazyenvironmentalist.com

www.freerice.com

glitteryourway-a2b509eb.gif

Good luck.

I would agree that google can translate Arabic in beta, (translate.google.com) but any spelling errors or grammar errors will leave you with a pure mess of a translation. It still might be helpful if you did only a couple of words at a time. Or you could use a combination of two or more translating tools. That way, any words that one doesn't pick up on, the other service might. I know your messages are very personal (coming from your husband) but any small or impersonal words you could ask someone from here to translate for you. I wouldn't mind helping you.

I tried a few places online.. I think google was one of them..As for Golden Wafi..Im not sure where to get that and if it translated arabic to english (my husband has program in his pc and its english to arabic). If theres a site..can you let me know here or PM.

As for pasting what he wrote here..I really would know what parts to cut out and paste. Maybe i could send you a PM of one email in particular. Can you read arabic?.. anyway..i will do that now.

Thanks for any help and advice

Gwen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Good luck.

Hey I never heard of this site and I appreciate the info...I had some things translated and sent to my SO and I shall see if it works..hahaaaa...thanks again....

“Hold on to the center and make up your mind to rejoice in this paradise called life.” ~ Lao-tzu

4374690_bodyshot_175x233_1205371236499.gif4572850_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
the problem isn't that the machine doesn't work well, the problem is that YOU NEED TO USE A MACHINE TO COMMUNICATE.

gee, i used a machine to communicate with nessa. it's called a "computer"

sometimes i even used a strange machine called a "telephone"

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

very good point charles as i use my machine to communicate to you now, do you hear me now?, do you hear me now? anyway good luck hopefully someone maybe even on here can help you translate..

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

For me the purpose is to write in arabic and its neat to be able to do this...my SO and are able to communicate and what slang words he does not understand are easily explained through the use of other words....

“Hold on to the center and make up your mind to rejoice in this paradise called life.” ~ Lao-tzu

4374690_bodyshot_175x233_1205371236499.gif4572850_bodyshot_175x233.gif

sarah makes a good point. A translator's a good intermediate step, but if you're serious about each other and he wants to move here, work on his English proficiency. They do seem to worry about that in the interviews.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
sarah makes a good point. A translator's a good intermediate step, but if you're serious about each other and he wants to move here, work on his English proficiency. They do seem to worry about that in the interviews.

Thank you for your profiency and ability to understand what I am talking about.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
very good point charles as i use my machine to communicate to you now, do you hear me now?, do you hear me now? anyway good luck hopefully someone maybe even on here can help you translate..

Hello, I'm earth, have we met?

No machine translator is capable of producing the quality of translation a human can. Language is complicated. A lot of words have different meanings depending on the context. Most people don't necessarily follow formal language rules when writing. Slang and style will easily trip up a machine translator. Alot of languages dont always consistantly follow rules. Just look at English, for every rule. there are a dozen exceptions. At least for now, the quality of translation by machine is limited, that could change in the future.

keTiiDCjGVo

I should clarify that *any* common language will suffice.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

My husbands first language is arabic (Jordanian) and speaks/understands english pretty good ......

Ok.. so we meet..talk & talk for hours (phone + txt + internet IMs + voice mssgr + cam)...fall head-over-hills in love... language of love is universal.. we marry "Alhumdullilah!".

He is getting better with his english..but wishes he could express himself more verbally so I can know even more how much he loves me.

So (instead of waiting until he becomes more fluent in english) he types IMs & emails to me in arabic and I use the free online translator. The problem is..its a machine and some things I don't understand.

Anyone know of some real good "arabic to english" translator online (free or low-cost)?

(sarah and hicham @ Jul 28 2007, 11:48 AM)

the problem isn't that the machine doesn't work well, the problem is that YOU NEED TO USE A MACHINE TO COMMUNICATE.

(Caladan @ Jul 28 2007, 06:31 PM)

Its amazing how some things go way off and get a bit twisted. I didn't think I needed to explain more..I thought what I wrote was clear. We are really not in NEED of any online translator to communcate. I summarized things.. we communicate well enough to fall in love and get married. Our relationship is soooooooo strong.. but as most of us know who are in love and in strong relationships, but are not yet fluent in one anothers native tongue, We will do and get whatever is available to us to communicate and convey even more of what we are feeling for the other. I mean even if we did speak the same language.. we would still have another language to learn.. continually for the rest of our lives.. The language of a man and the language of a woman.. and not all are the same. We are very much aware of this too and have committed ourselves to learning this language too and doing whatever it takes to learn this.

No thank you sarah and hicham for your words of advise..because it doesnt apply to me...but maybe another reader could use this advise. To give the benefit of the doubt.. I appreciate your good intentions.

Thank you to all of you who are giving your good positive input, encourage, wisdom, leads and valuable info.. At some point of this journey we could benefit from it in one way or another. Its so good to not travel this one alone.

Mahalo (thank you)

Gwen (F)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.