MEI

Petitioner moving overseas question

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey guys,

I got some new news this morning and thought of this place being the first to inquire about my situation.

Here's the situation:

I filed for K-1 in March and like all the other march filers (at this point) my fiancee recieved a medical appointment/interview date which is on 10 Sept 07, with everything going nice and smooth. Here's the conflict: I'm in the U.S Air Force and had orders going to FT Richardson Alaska, as of today I just found out I'm getting diverted to Kadena, Okinawa (overseas) with the report no later date of Sept 30.

What steps can I take for her to follow me to Okinawa? Is it possible? What would you do in this situation, or have you been in this situation or know of someone who's been through this.

Again, I haven't checked anywhere else YET. I thought of this community because you guys are full of answers.

Please help me out.

Marvis

Filed: Timeline

Marvis, first of all, thank you for your service to this country. We all owe you a debt of gratitude.

How long are you going to be in Okinawa? IIRC, the visa is good for 6 months, so your fiance could stay in her home country while you're in Japan, and then she can come when you're back.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks!

Read through the forums and had some info titled OVERSEAS ORDERS. I also asked USCIS.

They said when filing the AOS to include the I-131 to leave the U.S while waiting for the travel paperwork or green card. This can take up to 6 months.

Another route is to have her fly Space A with me as my dependent. I checked this out with the Aerial Port here. And before we leave file the AOS/EAD.

I have one more stop to inquire and it's in the Family Readiness Center here, on friday. I'll update with that as well.

IF ANYBODY HERE READS THIS AND HAS ANY CREDIBLE COMMENTS/SUGGESTIONS PLEASE ADD.

Thanks!!

Marvis

Marvis, first of all, thank you for your service to this country. We all owe you a debt of gratitude.

How long are you going to be in Okinawa? IIRC, the visa is good for 6 months, so your fiance could stay in her home country while you're in Japan, and then she can come when you're back.

Thanks, I enjoy basically serving people like you.

My tour in Okinawa will be long, 3-4 years. I have a plan.

I'm not full of answers, but I think members of the Armed Forces can apply for expedited processing. Search for that phrase in the forums and I'm sure you will have some ideas.

Good luck, L. :thumbs:

I did an extensive read. THANKS!

Edited by MEI

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.