Cebu2Florida

Applying for K3

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello guys, I am a newbie here. But I read this site long before.

My husband and I are planning to apply for a K3 visa.

And from what I have read, CR1 Visa is better and faster than the K3 visa nowadays.

And that's what makes me confused about stuff.

Im thinking to just apply for the CR1, but then my husband like the K3 better.

Anyone here would like to comment please, about of which visa is right for me?

And how much is it cost?

Thank you very much!

-Michelle

*****~ K3 Timeline ~*****

04-23-07 We got married in the Philippines

09-08-07 Sent both I-130 and I-129F together to Vermont SC

09-10-07 VSC received our papers

*****~I-130 Timeline~*****

01-02-08 Check Cashed

01-04-08 Received NOA1

*****~I-129F Timeline~*****

And from what I have read, CR1 Visa is better and faster than the K3 visa nowadays.

And how much is it cost?

Thank you very much!

-Michelle

In most cases, the CR1 is not faster than a K3 now. It is just faster than it used to be. The K3 costs more money in the long and requires quite a lot more forms and hassle. It can potentially bring you together three months or more sooner.

If the main concern is being together, file the I-130 and I-129f together (there should be instructions somewhere on how to do this now) and then wait to see which one is approved first and sent to NVC first. If the I-129f goes first, you must follow the K3 option. If the I-130 goes first, you can keep following both options to see which happens faster.

If the main concern is having the visa with the best advantages that costs the least amount of money, only file the I-130 and follow it through to the CR1.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Timeline

HelloMargotDarko,

We know that K3 is more expensive than the CR1, but we want to be with each other as soon as possible, thats why my husband wants the K3 visa.

But anyways, I thought with K3, we have to file the I-130 first. And then by the time we received the NOA1, we then file for the I-129F and enclosed the NOA1 for the I-130.

Im confused now!

01-02-08 Check Cashed

01-04-08 Received NOA1

Timeline

And how much is it cost?

Thank you very much!

-Michelle

In most cases, the CR1 is not faster than a K3 now. It is just faster than it used to be. The K3 costs more money in the long and requires quite a lot more forms and hassle. It can potentially bring you together three months or more sooner.

If the main concern is being together, file the I-130 and I-129f together (there should be instructions somewhere on how to do this now) and then wait to see which one is approved first and sent to NVC first. If the I-129f goes first, you must follow the K3 option. If the I-130 goes first, you can keep following both options to see which happens faster.

If the main concern is having the visa with the best advantages that costs the least amount of money, only file the I-130 and follow it through to the CR1.

Hello MargotDarko,

We know that K3 is more expensive than the CR1, but we want to be with each other as soon as possible, thats why my husband wants the K3 visa.

But anyways, I thought with K3, we have to file the I-130 first. And then by the time we received the NOA1, we then file for the I-129F and enclosed the NOA1 for the I-130.

Im confused now!

01-02-08 Check Cashed

01-04-08 Received NOA1

HelloMargotDarko,

Im confused now!

It used to be that you had to wait for NOA1 before filing the I-129f. It is now possible to file them together. I can't find the instructions anywhere, but pushbrk has been talking about it. And hopefully I haven't gotten a case of the crazies and made it up! :P

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

25 May 2007 - NOA2

And how much is it cost?

Thank you very much!

-Michelle

CR1 is better than any other visa its an immigrant visa, though you need to be patient like 1 or 2 months for your interview dates compared to k3 but its worthy...no more paper works when you get here and its more expensive than k3 too....

jazzy

4-26-06 Married Cebu, Philippines

I-130 (wife & step daughter)

5-05-06 sent

5-08-06 received

5-20-06 Noa#1 (notice date)

5-25-06 Noa#1 (mail recieved)

5-31-06 (touched)

7-12-06 (touched) received email....cases transfered to CSC

7-13-06 (touched)

7-17-06 received NOA in mail (transfer notice)

7-19-06 CSC received petitions

7-20-06 (touched)

7-21-06 (touched)

7-22-06 (touched)

8-03-06 APPROVED (via email)

8-04-06 (touched)

8-06-06 (touched)

8-08-06 received NOA#2 in mail(sent to NVC)

NVC

8-17-06 NVC received and assigned case #s

8-28-06 ds-3032 and aos bill generated (sent out same day)

9-06-06 ds-3032 accepted (email) - resent for cr-2

9-18-06 IV bills received and express mailed

9-20-06 received AOS in mail

9-21-06 AOS sent

9-23-06 (touched)...weird

9-25-06 ds-230 generated

9-30-06 ds-230 received in mail

10-3-06 ds-230 mailed to nvc

10-17-06 CASE COMPLETE!!!

12-26-06 Case sent to manila

12-30-06 Rececieved Packet 4

2-01-07 St. Lukes complete

2-8-07 INTERVIEW!!!!!! AR-need to submit photos of step daughter

2-10-07 Mailed photos to embassy

2-13-07 Photos arrive at embassy

2-21-07 Photos made it out of mail room to case worker!!

3-07-07 Delbros text...VISAS released from embassy

3-09-07 VISAS IN HAND!!!!!!!!

3-29-07 Arrived in Newark (POE)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello Cebu2Florida,

Hola...and welcome to VJ. I hope that you find the site useful and informative. Karina & I are going the K-3 Visa route and applied the "old" way...but very recently. That is: I filed the I-130 package first...waited for the NOA1 (I-797C) and attached a copy of it to the I-129f paperwork that was sent to Chicago. The time frame between the two was minimal...maybe 2 weeks? (Check my timeline) So...we have both going at this time and we received our first "touch" on the I-129f filing on 7/25/07. My research indicated that the K-3 Visa was a "better visa" for our situation. I think that one of the advantages to the K-3 Visa is that upon entry into the United States, it is not necessary to adjust status. And, I seem to recall that it comes with the "Green Card" at the end. A few more advantages too...I recall. Cost?? Do we really care about the cost? What is a few extra dollars when it comes to bringing our wife to our side?

You will have to make your own decisions for your own reasons on which way to do your process. What is "right" for one couple is not exactly right for all. There have been posts about how to file joint petitions on this site...I've read them and I think "pushbrk" has the information. Maybe you can PM him directly for more information. He seems to be very knowledgeable about the processes. And, he doesn't mince words! He just tells it like it is. Do not be afraid to ask for help, when needed. :help: Everyone here has an opinion!!! :whistle:

Please help all of us by keeping your timeline up to date. The more people we have doing this...the more accurate it becomes! :thumbs:

Sincere Best Wishes,

Hello Cebu2Florida,

Hola...and welcome to VJ. I hope that you find the site useful and informative. Karina & I are going the K-3 Visa route and applied the "old" way...but very recently. That is: I filed the I-130 package first...waited for the NOA1 (I-797C) and attached a copy of it to the I-129f paperwork that was sent to Chicago. The time frame between the two was minimal...maybe 2 weeks? (Check my timeline) So...we have both going at this time and we received our first "touch" on the I-129f filing on 7/25/07. My research indicated that the K-3 Visa was a "better visa" for our situation. I think that one of the advantages to the K-3 Visa is that upon entry into the United States, it is not necessary to adjust status. And, I seem to recall that it comes with the "Green Card" at the end. A few more advantages too...I recall. Cost?? Do we really care about the cost? What is a few extra dollars when it comes to bringing our wife to our side?

You will have to make your own decisions for your own reasons on which way to do your process. What is "right" for one couple is not exactly right for all. There have been posts about how to file joint petitions on this site...I've read them and I think "pushbrk" has the information. Maybe you can PM him directly for more information. He seems to be very knowledgeable about the processes. And, he doesn't mince words! He just tells it like it is. Do not be afraid to ask for help, when needed. :help: Everyone here has an opinion!!! :whistle:

Please help all of us by keeping your timeline up to date. The more people we have doing this...the more accurate it becomes! :thumbs:

Sincere Best Wishes,

Hello :) I don't think you meant to type "K3" here -

" I think that one of the advantages to the K-3 Visa is that upon entry into the United States, it is not necessary to adjust status. And, I seem to recall that it comes with the "Green Card" at the end. "

That's the CR1/IR1 visas. They result in a green card upon entry to the US.

EDIT - I should clarify. With the K3, you have the option of returning to your home country for the IR1/CR1 visa interview and then returning on the new visa (that is if you've kept the I-130 process going). Otherwise, it's necessary to adjust status.

Edited by MargotDarko

US Immigration Timeline

25 May 2007 - NOA2

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
HelloMargotDarko,

Im confused now!

It used to be that you had to wait for NOA1 before filing the I-129f. It is now possible to file them together. I can't find the instructions anywhere, but pushbrk has been talking about it. And hopefully I haven't gotten a case of the crazies and made it up! :P

Yes, I've been explaining it ad nauseum for several weeks but there is more to it than simply filing the petitions in the same envelope and directly with either CSC or VSC. If you want both options to continue, you must "clearly indicate" on the I-130 that you want Consular Service. Otherwise the I-130 will be held. There won't really be any question on which petition gets approved first. The whole point is to approve them together. See:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf

Of course, there is no guarantee USCIS will follow its own policies.

About direct filing, see here.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/Up...iling062107.pdf

I recommend clearly labeling the I-130 in red "Consular Service Please" as well as mentioning it on the cover letter and on a separate cover sheet in bold one inch high letters. There is no evidence or guidance on what will be sufficiently "clear" to get their attention.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Hello pushbrk,

Sounds like more complicated to me! But anyways, i willl surely ask you guys more questions here, before we file for our case. Right now, we are still gathering the requirements needed. So thank you guys for all the infos.

- Michelle

01-02-08 Check Cashed

01-04-08 Received NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.