kevblu

Affidavit of Support! HELP!

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

What forms did you need for the Affadavit of Aupport?

We've gotten an odd-seeming request from the consulate in packet 4... Kevin is preparing for his K1 interview, scheduled for Aug 8th and as he's looking through his checklist, a previously unbeknownst form is being requested...Affadavit of Support Form I-864! We have Affadavit of Support Form I-134 all prepared (which was the only form requested in packet 3) and this is the first we've even HEARD of an I-864 form... to top that, reading this form indicates that it is to be used for spouses, children and parents, nothing about fiances or about K1 visas.

What do I do? Did the consulate screw up and send us the wrong checklist?

-Scarlet

Filed: Timeline

We've gotten an odd-seeming request from the consulate in packet 4... Kevin is preparing for his K1 interview, scheduled for Aug 8th and as he's looking through his checklist, a previously unbeknownst form is being requested...Affadavit of Support Form I-864! We have Affadavit of Support Form I-134 all prepared (which was the only form requested in packet 3) and this is the first we've even HEARD of an I-864 form... to top that, reading this form indicates that it is to be used for spouses, children and parents, nothing about fiances or about K1 visas.

-Scarlet

This is somewhat common. The k1's are processed in the immigrant visa units of the embassy's even though they are non immigrant visa's. That said sometimes the embassys treat them the same. Most of the time you can file just the 134 for the k1's and they'll work fine. The 864 form is just a bit longer then the 134. I suggest you fill it out and send it over to him right quick. The supplemental evidence is the same and you don't have to notarize the 864. Send him with both and his bases will be covered. You can get the 864 at uscis.gov.

I have never heard of that for London! I'm sure it's a mistake.

You might want to call the DoS & ask them about it. Alternatively, email the consulate with your case number in the subject line.

Look up AlienUKgirl, she has pics of the checklist in her photos.

Edited by devilette

May be a mistake but why mess with it.

Fill out the I-864 and get it to him. You'll need it when you adjust status anyway. I-864 is valid indefinitely!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You might want to call the DoS & ask them about it. Alternatively, email the consulate with your case number in the subject line.

I looked up AlienUKgirl's profile and couldn't find the photos. I may just be looking in the wrong place. Could anyone post a link to them?

Thanks so much

5/11/2007 - Submitted I-129F

5/14/2007 - Packet Received by USCIS

5/21/2007 - Received NOA1

7/11/2007 - Ordered Police Certificate

8/16/2007 - Received Police Certificate

8/23/2007 - Received NOA2 Email Confirmation

8/30/2007 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy

9/4/2007 - Received NVC Letter

9/10/2007 - Packet 3 Received

9/24/2007 - Packet 3 Returned

10/7/2007 - Medical Interview - London

11/6/2007 - Interview - PASSED!

11/13/2007 - Passport Returned

11/18/2007 - Coming Home for Good

11/19/2007 - Had trouble at the aiport...NOW coming home for good.

12/18/2007 - Applied for Social Security Card

12/27/2007 - Received Social Security Card

2/05/2008 - Getting Married!

2/18/2008 - Submitted AOS packet

2/26/2008 - NOA for I-485, I-I-765, and I-131

2/28/2008 - Received ASC Appointment Notice

3/12/2008 - Biometric Appointment

3/13/2008 - RFE for I-485

3/24/2008 - Submitted Evidence

5/2/2008 - I-485 Transfer Notice - sent to CA center

7/17/2008 - Received EAD

I looked up AlienUKgirl's profile and couldn't find the photos. I may just be looking in the wrong place. Could anyone post a link to them?

Thanks so much

I guess she doesn't! I coulda sworn she did....

TimsDaisy does tho:

http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/thumbna...y&uid=30186

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

When i went for my interview in London Nov 2006 all they wanted was the notorized I-134 Affidavit of Support.

I found this on the U.S embassy London website:-

Evidence of Support - Any evidence which will show that you and members of your family who will accompany you are not likely to become public charges while in the United States. Note that the petitioner, in family based immigrant visa applications, and employment based immigrant visa applications where a family member has a significant ownership interest, is required to file a contractually binding Affidavit of Support, Form I-864. This requirement does not apply to fiancé(e), Kii or V visa applicants when applying for a fiancé(e), Kii or V visa. However, the petitioner will be required to file an I-864 when the fiancee, Kii, or V visa holder applies for an adjustment of status with the Department of Homeland Security, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the United States after the marriage ceremony has taken place.

Call DoS just to make sure anyways :thumbs:

Edited by MariaDane

Separated!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I-864 is used for situations that result in a green-card being issued, IR-1/CR-1 immigrant visas use I-864, as well as Adjusting status in the USA from the K-Visas. (I-485).

From the foreign affairs manual used by the consular officers at all consulates, and embassies for visa interviews.

9 FAM 41.81 N4 DOCUMENTARY REQUIREMENTS

b. K-1 and K-3 applicants are subject to INA 212(a)(4) and must demonstrate to the consular officer's satisfaction that they will not become a public charge. The Form I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213 A of the Act cannot be required. Applicants may submit a letter from the petitioner's employer or evidence that they will be self-supporting. The Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, may be required when the consular officer deems it useful.

http://foia.state.gov/searchRegs/vv_docVie...eryText=I%2D864

Sometimes the immigrant visa unit messes up and sends out an IR-1/CR-1 packet instead of a K-1 or K-3 packet.

Most immigrations units at the consulates treat the I-134 like a mini- I-864 and prefer the same financial evidence, see the instructions included with I-864.

Bank statements are only needed to use as an asset if income is below 125% of the poverty line.

In our case this what the I-134 included.

• I-134 signed and notarized.
  • Tax transcripts from the IRS for past 3 years, (Redundant for the (1040,W2,1099) but are free from the IRS
  • Photo copy of IRS form 1040, and W2s for past 3 years
  • Letter from my employer stating annual salary, job responsibility, and that is full time, on company letterhead.
  • Photo copies of past 6 months pay stubs up to a few weeks before the interview.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

-Scarlet

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/iv/fiance.html

Here's the link to the U.S Embassy in London, if you havent already checked it out, read it i'm sure you will find some useful information on it as i did and put your mind at rest.

As YuAndDan says immigrant visa units do mess up at times and its more than likely they just sent out the wrong checklist.

Edited by MariaDane

Separated!!

Fill out the I-864 and get it to him. You'll need it when you adjust status anyway. I-864 is valid indefinitely!

Are you guys seeing the least you can get by on.

If you are you I wish you good luck. You'll need it!

Took me about 20 minutes to fill out the I-864. No biggy!

More ammo the better!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

Are you guys seeing the least you can get by on.

If you are you I wish you good luck. You'll need it!

Took me about 20 minutes to fill out the I-864. No biggy!

More ammo the better!

Did the K-3 visa interview myself Nov 2006, I-134 was what was asked for Not I-864.

An I-134 is required for the visa interview for a K-1/K-3 visa as stated on the U.S Embassy Website in London.

An I-864 is required when pursuing for Cr-1/IR-1

Also I-864 is required when applying for AOS.

Separated!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

thank you all so much. we called the embassy (that 1.20/minute line) and they confirmed what you are all saying, that we dont need the i-864 until the adjustment of status, it must have been a mistake. it certainly had us both panicking when we noticed the mistake though. now were back to being confidant about the interview.

thanks

Kevin + Kristine :D

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Congratulations!

In our case, the Delhi Embassy gave us the wrong packet 4. When we questioned them as to whether an I-864 was required for fiancee visa, they said, no, sorry, it is not, come back and we will give you the correct Packet 4.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.