ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do we mark "YES" for willing and capable of work, even though we (K1s) cannot work until receiving EAD?

I filled in my first form last weekend (online) but put "NO" because I don't move to the US until Thursday, and technically not willing to work.

I put no on my form too... Because without EAD we cannot work. My claim still hasnt been approved or denied and it's been almost 3 weeks.

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Do we mark "YES" for willing and capable of work, even though we (K1s) cannot work until receiving EAD?

I filled in my first form last weekend (online) but put "NO" because I don't move to the US until Thursday, and technically not willing to work.

I think I put 'yes' on those when I mailed them before i started phoning them in...I put 'yes' and then in the comment section wrote 'waiting for EAD' ... I think you could put either, I wasn't really sure what to put, I never was told it was wrong but No probably works as well, I am sure they know what you mean.

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

06/04/2018 - i-751 approved

Timeline

I can't remember for sure on the form it says but it did as "why" or something along those lines and I said waiting on EAD.

AOS

July 14 - NOA 1

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

April 29 - Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am on the phone (on hold) with service canada now, he is saying he doesnt think I can apply once I leave canada to get married? is this true? I just wanted to know the process I should follow to recieve benifits due to moving to be with my Spouse but it doesnt seem like I'm going to get any answers.

Just filling out my First EI Paper Form

So I say 0 for all total hours worked and money collection, and

And Mark 'YES' for Willing and capable of work?

seems simple enough right?

and whats the point to call the intertional number? is it just for questions?

It can take over a month for each form to be input into the system. it's better to call and do the questions that way so you get paid 2 days later.

I am on the phone (on hold) with service canada now, he is saying he doesnt think I can apply once I leave canada to get married? is this true? I just wanted to know the process I should follow to recieve benifits due to moving to be with my Spouse but it doesnt seem like I'm going to get any answers.

Obviously they don't know.

yes you can apply.

Do it within 4 weeks of leaving your job, stating when applying you are moving to the USA to be with a spouse.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

This person doesn't know... when you submit your claim, there is a section that says "relocation for spouse or with spouse" or something similar to that.

What number did you call to get through??? I've been calling for days and they say the call volume is too high and they can't transfer me. Boo!

AOS

July 14 - NOA 1

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

April 29 - Biometrics

Timeline

FYI:

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/08/13/statistics-canadas-jobs-report-error-prompts-freeze-on-new-ei-claims/

OTTAWA — An error in the jobs report issued last week by Statistics Canada has resulted in a freeze on new employment insurance claims.

A government official says the processing of new EI claims is being put on hold until the agency fixes the mistake.

On Tuesday, Statistics Canada said it found an error in its July Labour Force Survey, and that it would issue a revised report on Friday.

Just got off the phone - same message. The guy said that even though relocation for spouse is a just cause for EI, they do not pay out benefits to people who are not actively looking for work in CANADA. Then he put me on hold to check with a supervisor, and said that YES, its only for people in currently living in Canada. I even said that I know people who have relocated to US for spouses/fiances are getting EI and then he said that would only be the case if they are eligible for an "interstate claim" - meaning that they live in Canada and did some sort of bullshit hybrid work between Canada/US before leaving employment.

UGH... annoying. :(

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/publications/outsidecanada.pdf

US is considered interstate -

Of course we know that a Canadian moving to the states can get EI - given whatever circumstances like to be with spouse. The canadian must apply within 4 weeks of ending employment, be willing, able, and legally to work in the states.. Like CR1 can work immediately and start the EI claim/get payments. K1 - has to be after the EAD.

This Ottawa deal though seems like it could mess stuff up. however the person on the phone should have known better in that EI is offered/has been offered even if there is a freeze on new claims.

Sounds incredibly frustrating and hopefully you can get through to someone who actually knows whats going on/can give you correct information.

s-event.png s-event.png
IR-1/CR-1 Visa : National Benefits Center NVC Received: 2014-01-08
Consulate : Montreal, Canada NVC Case Number: 2014-02-07
Marriage : 2013-02-22 Paid I-864 Bill: 2014-02-13
I-130 Sent : 2013-03-16 Sent I-864 Docs: 2014-02-14
I-130 NOA1 : 2013-03-20 Paid IV Bill: 2014-03-03
Trans. to NSC : 2013-11-05 Sent IV Docs: 2014-03-04
I-130 NOA2: 2013-12-16 Submitted DS-260: 2014-03-06

Case Complete 2014-03-21

Interview & APPROVED 2014-05-08

POE 2014-06-21

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/publications/outsidecanada.pdf

US is considered interstate -

Of course we know that a Canadian moving to the states can get EI - given whatever circumstances like to be with spouse. The canadian must apply within 4 weeks of ending employment, be willing, able, and legally to work in the states.. Like CR1 can work immediately and start the EI claim/get payments. K1 - has to be after the EAD.

This Ottawa deal though seems like it could mess stuff up. however the person on the phone should have known better in that EI is offered/has been offered even if there is a freeze on new claims.

Sounds incredibly frustrating and hopefully you can get through to someone who actually knows whats going on/can give you correct information.

Thank you for the link! Yeah it was really annoying ... all I wanted to do was change my address to Chicago and it turned into a lecture on how I am free to apply but I will not get benefits.

Timeline

Thank you for the link! Yeah it was really annoying ... all I wanted to do was change my address to Chicago and it turned into a lecture on how I am free to apply but I will not get benefits.

From your profile it looks like you are K-1 - so maybe that is what they meant that you wont get benefits....right away. Make sure to apply in the 4 week time period, you just wont get actual payments until after you are married and get your employment authorization. Once you have that, you send them that proof and then you can start receiving the money/benefits.

That pamphlet was the most helpful thing I found. I remember sending it to my husband like "Whhhhaaaa??? You live in the best country ever" haha. Canadian EI is much more generous than what we have here in the states.

s-event.png s-event.png

Case Complete 2014-03-21

POE 2014-06-21

Just got off the phone - same message. The guy said that even though relocation for spouse is a just cause for EI, they do not pay out benefits to people who are not actively looking for work in CANADA. Then he put me on hold to check with a supervisor, and said that YES, its only for people in currently living in Canada. I even said that I know people who have relocated to US for spouses/fiances are getting EI and then he said that would only be the case if they are eligible for an "interstate claim" - meaning that they live in Canada and did some sort of bullshit hybrid work between Canada/US before leaving employment.

UGH... annoying. :(

Whoever it was has no idea what they are talking about haha, since I am receiving benefits now and I came here on a K1. I did it all online and through the mail so I never had to talk to someone on the phone for them to tell me 'no'.

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

06/04/2018 - i-751 approved

I put in my US address when I applied. Service Canada guys have no idea. Call the international office.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

From your profile it looks like you are K-1 - so maybe that is what they meant that you wont get benefits....right away. Make sure to apply in the 4 week time period, you just wont get actual payments until after you are married and get your employment authorization. Once you have that, you send them that proof and then you can start receiving the money/benefits.

That pamphlet was the most helpful thing I found. I remember sending it to my husband like "Whhhhaaaa??? You live in the best country ever" haha. Canadian EI is much more generous than what we have here in the states.

We do live in the best country ever! Why are we moving?? I had never heard about this... I looked through the pamphlet and I can't seem to find where it says you are eligible if you relocate for a spouse. Maybe I'm going blind...

Edited by LiliBurd

''No matter how painful distance can be, not having you in my life would be worse''

August 16 2013: Started dating

July 6 2014: Got engaged! (L)

Timeline

No you are not going blind! It is in on the website - it is kind of confusing because they don't put all of the information in the same spot. Sorry about not posting the website link too! ;)

Here is the link for what things can be eligible for EI - I just put the clip in that pertains to family member/spouse

"...you leave your employment voluntarily but you believe you have valid reasons for doing so?

You may have excellent reasons for leaving your employment voluntarily, but this does not mean that you have just cause for leaving your employment. Before deciding to leave your employment, you should always analyze the problem and use the measures or reasonable alternatives available to you to fix the situation. If you leave your employment without considering all the measures or reasonable alternatives available to you, you will need to explain why you did not consider these measures or reasonable alternatives.

Depending on the circumstances, the reasons listed below may be just cause for leaving your employment voluntarily:

• you are a victim of sexual or other harassment, or you are a victim of discrimination because you belong to an association, organization, or union of workers;
  • you need to accompany your spouse or dependent child to another residence;"

Pg 6 of the pamphlet begins the explanation of what benefits can be paid interstate as a person whose last employment was in Canada and they are now in the states

Persons living in the United States or dependents of those persons, who are unemployed, may be eligible to collect regular Canadian EI benefits up to a maximum of 36 weeks...more stuff about how Canadians qualify for EI..... In order to claim regular benefits you must be capable of and available for work, actively seeking employment in the United States and, most importantly, be legally authorized to work in the United States"
There are many other K-1 visa applicants/holders than can give you good info based on their experience!
Edited by gwenstar
s-event.png s-event.png

Case Complete 2014-03-21

POE 2014-06-21

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.