ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

From what I was told, you cannot collect EI in the US until you have your Green Card and SSN in hand which makes you eligible to work in the US. The day you have those in hand you need to call EI and fax those documents to the EI office that handles US residents only. Once you get everything to them, the EI $$ start coming. I found it faster to have them electronically put in the US bank account, snail mail was extremely slow. The you call every two weeks; leave them a voice message and they call you back very regularly, Brad was new when I was collecting and very polite and friendly.

Marriage 2010-10-09

I-130 Sent : 2010-10-12

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-10-20

I-130 Approved : 2011-03-31

NVC Received : 2011-04-13

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2011-04-22

Pay I-864 Bill 2011-04-22

Receive I-864 Package : 2011-04-26

Return Completed I-864 : 2011-05-03

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2011-05-01

Receive IV Bill : 2011-04-27

Pay IV Bill : 2011-04-27

Receive Instruction Package : 2011-04-29

Case Completed at NVC : 2011-05-20

Interview Date Montreal : 2011-07-19

Interview Result : Approved

POE Coutts, Ab : 2011-07-29

I-751 Sent : May 01, 2013

Early Biometrics : May 28, 2013

I-751 Approved: August 26, 2013 dancin5hr.gif

I don't need my green card. The stamped visa is the same thing, valid for a year. I can see having a SSN but I won't receive those by the 21st if I POE around the 15th

So from what I read I can apply, but i am not eligible to receive benefits until I have at least the SSN. But I need to apply within that first 4 weeks. I just need to know if they judge the 4 weeks from my last pay cheque or from my last actual working day.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Quick question.

Should I apply from within Canada or wait until I'm in the USA?

Last day of work is the 24th. Last pay cheque from them will be the 30th. Interview is the 3rd, passport back by the 7th, I hope and moving by the 10th or so. I have to get an inspection done on my appt before I go otherwise I don't get my damage deposit back. They way I see, from last day of work to 4 weeks after is the 21st.

So I should have until the 21st to apply for EI? Or would be be counted from my last pay cheque? I would think that would probably when they'll send the ROE. I know my ROE from Zellers is in there electronically,

I was trying to figure out hours and I haven't not been working from April 2006 to now. I'd assume I'd get the full benefits and time. I'm just unsure how much the benefits will be.

You do have 4 weeks to apply as from your last day worked, not your last paycheque. I was told it's best to apply as soon as you're eligible to apply and as long as your ROE is done electronically, you don't have to send any paper copy to EI. I was told once I get my EAD, I just have to fax it to them and I'm good. Apply for your AOS/EAD etc as SOON as you can after you get married.

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

Timeline

You do have 4 weeks to apply as from your last day worked, not your last paycheque. I was told it's best to apply as soon as you're eligible to apply and as long as your ROE is done electronically, you don't have to send any paper copy to EI. I was told once I get my EAD, I just have to fax it to them and I'm good. Apply for your AOS/EAD etc as SOON as you can after you get married.

I should also add to my post as NickiR was wondering, EI told me that I would be receiving the maximum allowable which will be 700 something AFTER the tax they take off and that is every two weeks. Much better than a kick in the pants!

Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
March 31, 2013 - POE

LOL I am married. ;)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

LOL I am married. wink.png

Ok, sorry about that. I have a hard time seeing beyond my own situation sometimes ;) As long as you have your EAD you're good then!

Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
March 31, 2013 - POE

Ok, sorry about that. I have a hard time seeing beyond my own situation sometimes ;) As long as you have your EAD you're good then!

Lol yer funny! CR1 do not get EAD because we get a green card upon entry. ;)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello Everyone!

First I would like to say thank you all for posting your experiences on here. I have already learned a ton of information reading all your posts in the last few months!

I have a few questions to start if I may?

My wife and I got married in the US 7 years ago this October and she came to Canada and is now is a PR here. We live very close to the border (Niagara) and to start would ideally like to live in the US legally and commute to work here in Canada. Eventually, we would both like to work in the states and move further south.

Has anyone been through this type of process?

My idea was process the I-130 to the Chicago Lock box and follow the steps I found here: http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/visas/visas/immigrant-visas/processing-in-canada.html

But my concern, from what I read the process described above by most of you is that when we go through the process for the green card we should be making it clear we intend on moving to the US immediately upon process.

Any ideas folks?

Thank you again!

Timeline

Hello Everyone!

First I would like to say thank you all for posting your experiences on here. I have already learned a ton of information reading all your posts in the last few months!

I have a few questions to start if I may?

My wife and I got married in the US 7 years ago this October and she came to Canada and is now is a PR here. We live very close to the border (Niagara) and to start would ideally like to live in the US legally and commute to work here in Canada. Eventually, we would both like to work in the states and move further south.

Has anyone been through this type of process?

My idea was process the I-130 to the Chicago Lock box and follow the steps I found here: http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/visas/visas/immigrant-visas/processing-in-canada.html

But my concern, from what I read the process described above by most of you is that when we go through the process for the green card we should be making it clear we intend on moving to the US immediately upon process.

Any ideas folks?

Thank you again!

- An chance anyone has any information? Thank you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi--your posting in the wrong forum--thus no replies--maybe a mod can move it. Welcome to VJ

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Hrm so my current job is giving me a paper roe. I'm gonna talk to them since my last pay day is the 30th but I don't leave Canada to close to the 15th of June so I hope they can just hold it there and I can go pick it up vs waiting for it to be mailed. That way I can turn it into service Canada here vs mailing it again.

Timeline

Hi--your posting in the wrong forum--thus no replies--maybe a mod can move it. Welcome to VJ

Thank you for the reply and the welcome.

I reposted it in the Canada Immigration & K1 Guide for Montreal as well, with no luck.

Could you tell me where I should post it and I will gladly do so?

Thank you!

Timeline

Thank you for the reply and the welcome.

I reposted it in the Canada Immigration & K1 Guide for Montreal as well, with no luck.

Could you tell me where I should post it and I will gladly do so?

Thank you!

Since u are MARRIED--u can NOT do the k1, as it is a fiance visa. You need to post in the CR-1/IR-1 forum. Since ur married for 2 yrs or more--you will be going the IR-1 route--but its the same as the CR-1--just at the end she wil get a 10 yr greencard (vice a 2 yr green card for a cr-1) At the top of that forum--are GUIDES!!! It is in your best interest to read them, as they explain the process!! http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/110-ir-1-cr-1-spouse-visa-process-procedures/

No 1 cares more about ur situation, than YOU! read the guides,lol Best of luck

Edited by Flames9_RN

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Since u are MARRIED--u can NOT do the k1, as it is a fiance visa. You need to post in the CR-1/IR-1 forum. Since ur married for 2 yrs or more--you will be going the IR-1 route--but its the same as the CR-1--just at the end she wil get a 10 yr greencard (vice a 2 yr green card for a cr-1) At the top of that forum--are GUIDES!!! It is in your best interest to read them, as they explain the process!! http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/110-ir-1-cr-1-spouse-visa-process-procedures/

No 1 cares more about ur situation, than YOU! read the guides,lol Best of luck

Hello Flames,

Thank you for the information you provided. I had found the guide you provided before but was having a hard time trying to figure out which category I was. I have reread it and thank you again for the help.

Thank you.

Timeline

Hello Flames,

Thank you for the information you provided. I had found the guide you provided before but was having a hard time trying to figure out which category I was. I have reread it and thank you again for the help.

Thank you.

And if you see anything that refers to DCF (direct consular filing) disregard that--as it is NO longer an option in Canada

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.