ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I appllied for my EI from Texas about a month ago now. I received a letter telling me that I will be cut off in February as that's when my K1 expires. I still have not received anything from them stating that I will begin to receive anything to begin with yet. How long does it take to process an application for EI? I call and call and call but the voicemail box is full all the time.

Did you send in your original ROE copy, or fax it? I know they won't begin the application to send you EI until they receive your ROE. It did take about a month for them to process my application.

I emailed a scanned copy of it at their request. They haven't commented on anything since they received that. I still can't get through to talk to anyone there.

Here's a little secret, I have the direct line to Donna who is really helpful. I had the same problem as you, I kept calling to a full machine. Finally they called ME and I wrote down the # that came thru on the call ID. It is 613-969-3873. If you call there you should get thru to someone. Anytime I've called back Donna has answered. Good luck!

Thanks...same full voicemail message though. :(

Darn it.... keep trying and trying, until you get thru! Maybe she's on lunch break or something.

YAY I finally got through and they approved me. Onmly problem is they have been sending my "cards"? to a different address. They messd up the street number with the apartment number. So what is on these cards that I have to fill out? Donna offered to help me with it over the phone but she decided it best if I talk with someone else as I have some self employment questions and how that relates to "hours of job search".

The cards is one sheet you receive, it's a report card. You basically have to scratch 5 or so "yes or no" boxes stating if you've been looking for work, are willing and able, etc. Then you sign the other side and date it, you can only mail it back on the date it says on the card. It comes with an envelope you can send it in. You send them every 2 weeks or so, once they receive the cards they will process it and within 2 days you should receive the EI in your account. I didn't get my cards either at first so Donna did them over the phone with me, she updated my address then I finally received them.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I appllied for my EI from Texas about a month ago now. I received a letter telling me that I will be cut off in February as that's when my K1 expires. I still have not received anything from them stating that I will begin to receive anything to begin with yet. How long does it take to process an application for EI? I call and call and call but the voicemail box is full all the time.

Did you send in your original ROE copy, or fax it? I know they won't begin the application to send you EI until they receive your ROE. It did take about a month for them to process my application.

I emailed a scanned copy of it at their request. They haven't commented on anything since they received that. I still can't get through to talk to anyone there.

Here's a little secret, I have the direct line to Donna who is really helpful. I had the same problem as you, I kept calling to a full machine. Finally they called ME and I wrote down the # that came thru on the call ID. It is 613-969-3873. If you call there you should get thru to someone. Anytime I've called back Donna has answered. Good luck!

Thanks...same full voicemail message though. :(

Darn it.... keep trying and trying, until you get thru! Maybe she's on lunch break or something.

YAY I finally got through and they approved me. Onmly problem is they have been sending my "cards"? to a different address. They messd up the street number with the apartment number. So what is on these cards that I have to fill out? Donna offered to help me with it over the phone but she decided it best if I talk with someone else as I have some self employment questions and how that relates to "hours of job search".

The cards is one sheet you receive, it's a report card. You basically have to scratch 5 or so "yes or no" boxes stating if you've been looking for work, are willing and able, etc. Then you sign the other side and date it, you can only mail it back on the date it says on the card. It comes with an envelope you can send it in. You send them every 2 weeks or so, once they receive the cards they will process it and within 2 days you should receive the EI in your account. I didn't get my cards either at first so Donna did them over the phone with me, she updated my address then I finally received them.

YAY..everything is a go. I just got off the phone with EI and they have approved my claim...did the cards over the phone and are now sending me monies :D. They said I am getting the max amount. Any idea what that might be after taxes?

• March 25, 2008 Sent off I-129f
  • March 27, 2008 I-129f arrived at Vermont Center
  • March 28, 2008 Received and date of NOA1
  • April 3, 2008 Received NOA1 in mail-9 days since mailed off I-129f
  • April 18, 2008 Touched!
  • June 26, 2008 NOA2!!!- (email) 93 days since mailed off I-129F
  • July 2, 2008 NOA2 in mail
  • July 9, 2008 NVC received packet
  • July 14, 2008 Montreal receives packet.
  • July 21, 2008 Roger received Packet 3
  • August 1, 2008 Roger mailed off Packet 3 to Montreal
  • August 6, 2008 Packet 3 received in the morning at Montreal Consulate
  • August 11, 2008 Medical in Toronto
  • September 18, 2008 Received Packet 4 Interview letter
  • October 14, 2008 K1 Visa Interview Date
  • November 18, 2008 Crossed Port Huron border YAY
  • December 27, 2009 Married!
  • February 3, 2009 Mailed off AOS
  • February 9, 2009 AOS Checked cashed!
  • March 4, 2009 Biometrics Completed!
  • March 30, 2009 AP Approved
  • April 2, 2009 EAD Approved and card printing ordered
  • Received Permanent Resident card but no passport stamp.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
YAY..everything is a go. I just got off the phone with EI and they have approved my claim...did the cards over the phone and are now sending me monies :D. They said I am getting the max amount. Any idea what that might be after taxes?

I think its $730 or something like that after taxes (every 2 weeks).

Congrats on finally getting that one resolved. Jeepers they took their time! I am sure the way things are going now, they're really getting backed up over there.

Edited by MrsCat

($435/week max * 2 weeks) - 25% = $652.50

($435/week max * 4 weeks) - 25% = $1,305

Sometimes I got 2 week cheques. Sometimes I got 4 week cheques. They seemed to alternate.

Timeline

Back in 2005 it was 1240 a month,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
($435/week max * 2 weeks) - 25% = $652.50

($435/week max * 4 weeks) - 25% = $1,305

Sometimes I got 2 week cheques. Sometimes I got 4 week cheques. They seemed to alternate.

Payment was issued on 8 January 2009 for five weeks by direct deposit. Total deposit of $1369.00 should be in your bank account on Monday. Benefit rate $435.00 less $109.00 taxes weekly, but paid biweekly.

Looks like it's all sorted out finally. I am going off it on Feb 16th ad my 90 day temp ead is ending then. Once I get my EAD again hopefully I won't need EI as I have something possibly lined up already for work. If I do need it though atleast I'll already have it all set up so all I have to do is send in my new EAD.

Thanks for the help everyone :)

• March 25, 2008 Sent off I-129f
  • March 27, 2008 I-129f arrived at Vermont Center
  • March 28, 2008 Received and date of NOA1
  • April 3, 2008 Received NOA1 in mail-9 days since mailed off I-129f
  • April 18, 2008 Touched!
  • June 26, 2008 NOA2!!!- (email) 93 days since mailed off I-129F
  • July 2, 2008 NOA2 in mail
  • July 9, 2008 NVC received packet
  • July 14, 2008 Montreal receives packet.
  • July 21, 2008 Roger received Packet 3
  • August 1, 2008 Roger mailed off Packet 3 to Montreal
  • August 6, 2008 Packet 3 received in the morning at Montreal Consulate
  • August 11, 2008 Medical in Toronto
  • September 18, 2008 Received Packet 4 Interview letter
  • October 14, 2008 K1 Visa Interview Date
  • November 18, 2008 Crossed Port Huron border YAY
  • December 27, 2009 Married!
  • February 3, 2009 Mailed off AOS
  • February 9, 2009 AOS Checked cashed!
  • March 4, 2009 Biometrics Completed!
  • March 30, 2009 AP Approved
  • April 2, 2009 EAD Approved and card printing ordered
  • Received Permanent Resident card but no passport stamp.

What income does a person need to get the max?

It's 55% of your old salary. So if you're making $41,126/year or more, you'd get the max.

Tip: Get you holiday pay paid out to you before you quit rather than after. That way it's included in your amount for EI calculation purposes.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me what I'll be getting from EI for taxes? is it a T4?and when should I receive it?(sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting to do my taxes :rofl: )

S

AOS

02/25/08 sent AOS packet

02/26/08 packet received chicago lockbox

03/03/08 NOA(I-485,I765,I131)for daughter and myself

03/09/08 received biometrics appointment letter

03/25/08 RFE recieved for NOA for I129F(USCIS lost it! DOH!)

03/25/08 RFE sent

03/26/08 biometrics appointment(YAY!)

03/26/08 EAD touched(for daughter and myself)

03/28/08 EAD touch again!

04/03/08 RFE received case processing resumes

04/29/08 request AP expedited

05/01/08 AP sent out

05/02/08 case transfered to CSC

05/02/08 EAD card production ordered

05/05/08 EAD card production ordered again

05/10/08 EAD card received

05/16/08 AOS touched

05/18/08 AOS touched again!

06/11/08 AOS card production ordered!

06/16/08 green card received in mail!!

no more USCIS for almost 2 years!!

ROC

04/07/10 sent I-751 to VSC

04/09/10 NOA recieved

04/13/10 cheque cashed

05/17/10 early biometrics

06/29/10 card production ordered

07/10/10 card received

Timeline

I was able to get mine online (end of feb???) a few years back!! Can't recall the exact site, and I'm soon out the door. I'm sure someone will speak up

Edited by flames9

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I was able to get mine online (end of feb???) a few years back!! Can't recall the exact site, and I'm soon out the door. I'm sure someone will speak up

You will receive a T4E. I was able to print it from this site last year.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/online/mysca_byp.shtml

You will need your EI Access code.

Timeline

See, there ya go,lol

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do you know if EI will automatically mail it to you? I don't have a printer.... I only had one EI payment in 2008, guess I still need to claim it....

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

I don't recall ever getting 1 in the mail, but I could be wrong!!! Always head to the library to print one off, or get a family member to log on for ya, scan it and email it to you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.