dq2000

cali service law office?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi all!

I've been around here for over a year, asked a few questions before, thought about what I needed to do this visa, but actually hadn't started the process until this month. I wanted to spend more time "dating" my gf...so after 2 years of it, last month we had an engagement party in Vietnam. Totally amazing..I can't wait for the actual wedding! Anyhoo, enuf about that and here's my question. I am considering all my options and I wanted to know if anyone had heard of the law office "Cali Service" in HCMC? It's also located in San Jose Calif, which is very close to where i live and is apparently very well known and well thought of (in VN...i don't know about the US). Any comments would be totally appreciated!

THANKS!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

you should hire Marc Ellis, he helped out alot of people here, including me.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent : 2007-02-16

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-02-23

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-03-07

NVC Received : 2007-03-15

NVC Left : 2007-03-28

Consulate Received : 2007-03-30

Packet 3 Received : 2007-03-31

Packet 3 Sent : 2007-04-01

Packet 4 Received : 2007-06-27

Interview Date : 2007-07-20

Visa Received : 2007-07-27

US Entry : 2007-08-13

Marriage : 2007-10-18

AOS sent- Jan 16 2008

Advance Parole arrived : March 25th 2008

EAD card arrived March 21st 2008

waiting for her green card . Case has been transferred to Cali Service Center.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

This sounds like one of those visa agencies I've heard so much about. I actually cannot ever remember hearing anything positive about these services, but I can recall reading many things negative.

These services will do nothing to help you during your normal filing of the visa that you can't easily do for yourself. In the end YOU will have to gather all of the information that is needed to file your visa request and prepare for the interview. The only thing they do is put the information YOU gathered into the apporpriate box on the application- this is stuff you can do. If you rely on a third party to do it, you are taking real risks that the paperwork will be delayed and that information will be transferred incorrectly to the forms actually costing you time.

On the otherhand, if you run into real problems during the process- such as RFEs you can't deal with or 221g refusals, then by all means you should seek the advice of an attorney.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Hi all!

I've been around here for over a year, asked a few questions before, thought about what I needed to do this visa, but actually hadn't started the process until this month. I wanted to spend more time "dating" my gf...so after 2 years of it, last month we had an engagement party in Vietnam. Totally amazing..I can't wait for the actual wedding! Anyhoo, enuf about that and here's my question. I am considering all my options and I wanted to know if anyone had heard of the law office "Cali Service" in HCMC? It's also located in San Jose Calif, which is very close to where i live and is apparently very well known and well thought of (in VN...i don't know about the US). Any comments would be totally appreciated!

THANKS!

Why do you have to hire a lawyer for?????? For your case, you should have all the evidence (2 yrs). For my case, i knew my wife since last June 2006. She already here since April 2007. So go figure...... why spend money when you don't have to.

My K1 Time Line

AOS Quest: Completed :=)

06-08-2007: AOS Package Sent

06-12-2007: AOS Package Recieved

06-19-2007: Check Cashed

06-22-2007: NOA1 in the Mail

06-26-2007: Biometrics Appoinment Received 7-14-2007

07-14-2007: Biometrics Appointment

10-29-2007: AOS interview - still need to wait for FBI name check.

02-27-2008: Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident

02-28-2008: Card production ordered

03-04-2008: Approval notice sent

03-07-2008: Green Card received

05-07-2008: California ID received (took almost a year to get it)

Being a Dad Quest: :=)

06-05-2008: My lovely baby girl arrived.

Here is my takes and they are very much in line with Dale and CK

1. Those self-claimed visa agencies in Saigon are really doing nothing more than just organizing the paperworks for you. They do, however, help you fill out forms if your English is somewhat limited but that's about it. Do not count on them for anyting else.

2. If you and your fiance have the followings: no prior marriages, no previous K1 pettitions, no children, strong solid on-going relationship with at least 2 years, stable job with satisfactory income --- then your change of getting approved is 99%. I leave 1% for errors and unforeseen ciscumstances.

I used to be indecisive. Now I am just not sure ...

Here is my takes and they are very much in line with Dale and CK

1. Those self-claimed visa agencies in Saigon are really doing nothing more than just organizing the paperworks for you. They do, however, help you fill out forms if your English is somewhat limited but that's about it. Do not count on them for anyting else.

2. If you and your fiance have the followings: no prior marriages, no previous K1 pettitions, no children, strong solid on-going relationship with at least 2 years, stable job with satisfactory income --- then your change of getting approved is 99%. I leave 1% for errors and unforeseen ciscumstances.

You said it all. ;)

Why paid those damn Idiots (So call Lawyer or services) when you don't have too. Sometimes those Services mess up all your paper works. It had happened to my co-worker and a lot of people i knew. For my case. I went to one of those services in Saigon and they want to charge me $1500 for the whole thing. I did not want to go but my wife asked me to go. The thing is people in VIetnam they will get all scare and heard from friends and stuff and want to refer you there.. YOu should not Listen.......... Period.. since you found this forum you are in a good hand........... At Visajourney, you will have all the information here from A to Z. Try to do it your self and only need a Lawyer if your case are really complicated.

K1 Guide:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide

K1 Flow Chart

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow

K1 Example Forms

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;page=examples

You have everything here, Just follow the K1 Guide and you should be in good shape. YOU ARE IN CONTROL of your case not those idiots Services and Lawyers.. Good luck. Make sure you have all the requirement on the Instruction Forms and try to file it early before July 30, 2007. Or else you will have to pay a lot more money..

Good luck

Edited by CK&Tydi

My K1 Time Line

CK,

I do not want to sound like I am generalizing or being patronizing but we all know very well that our folks back home are lacking information pertaining to fiance visa application in particular and US-immigration law in general. In other words, they are clueless. Beside, they are so used to see corruption and middle-man (or visa agencies to be more specific in our conversation here) for everything. Thus, they automatically apply the same mindset when comes to getting the visa application done. They are afraid that if they don't use the middle-man (co` in vietnamese slang or di.ch vu. for a more business-like term), their cases would not go as smooth as others. These middle-men know this and they pray on their own folks. Our folks' downfall is the Co`s gain. Anyone from Vietnam must agree with me that Co` is everywhere. Anything you do, everything you touch, everywhere you go, you must go through Co`. That is the way of life in Vietnam. My wife had her business in VN, thus, having had to deal with Co` everyday is nothing new to her and when she came to Houston, she was so shocked that I was able to walk up to the counter, have a pleasant conversaiton with a lady, while applying for my wife's social security card and walk away without having to put up with any hassle or "coffee money" (tien cafe for us vietnamese) ... My wife's eyes are as round and as big as two light bulbs when I told her that there is no need to bribe anyone here to get your driver license, trying to give some money to the police who stops you for a traffic violation is a crime, getting a permit for her salon does not need a middle-man and it can be done online, the list goes on ... Talking about culture-shock, huh ...

I used to be indecisive. Now I am just not sure ...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

dg2000,

Before asking, why not search first?

Type: "Lawyer" in the search box above. You'll be surprised when you see the returned results. Then make your decision later. Never too late to hire a lawyer for your case. Never! But as for what you tell us here, i must agree with the gurus here, No lawyer, not yet! :thumbs:

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

CK,

I do not want to sound like I am generalizing or being patronizing but we all know very well that our folks back home are lacking information pertaining to fiance visa application in particular and US-immigration law in general. In other words, they are clueless. Beside, they are so used to see corruption and middle-man (or visa agencies to be more specific in our conversation here) for everything. Thus, they automatically apply the same mindset when comes to getting the visa application done. They are afraid that if they don't use the middle-man (co` in vietnamese slang or di.ch vu. for a more business-like term), their cases would not go as smooth as others. These middle-men know this and they pray on their own folks. Our folks' downfall is the Co`s gain. Anyone from Vietnam must agree with me that Co` is everywhere. Anything you do, everything you touch, everywhere you go, you must go through Co`. That is the way of life in Vietnam. My wife had her business in VN, thus, having had to deal with Co` everyday is nothing new to her and when she came to Houston, she was so shocked that I was able to walk up to the counter, have a pleasant conversaiton with a lady, while applying for my wife's social security card and walk away without having to put up with any hassle or "coffee money" (tien cafe for us vietnamese) ... My wife's eyes are as round and as big as two light bulbs when I told her that there is no need to bribe anyone here to get your driver license, trying to give some money to the police who stops you for a traffic violation is a crime, getting a permit for her salon does not need a middle-man and it can be done online, the list goes on ... Talking about culture-shock, huh ...

Kevin,

I do agree with you on this issue. It is the Vietnamese Culture. YOu have to bribe to get thing done. Now, I am talking about us here in the USA. We are the one that send in the Forms to the USCIS. So the USC doing the Job not the love one in Vietnam doing it. So do not listen to those Co` (FOOLS) to tell you what to do.

My point is: If you have real strong relationship, (all the Evidences, Good Income 125% above the Poverty line and not so complicate case) then you dont have to pay money for those guy to tell you to do thing. It will be a lot slower for your whole process. It is not their case so they don't worry much. It is your case so you will pay more attention and care for it more. ONly use the lawyer when your case is needed. For my case, it took a little over 6 months. I got all the information and help from this forum. So far there are a lot of successful cases here at VJ. Anyway, good luck to DQ2000. It is up to DQ2000 to decide. ;)

Just follow the K1 Guide then DQ2000 will be fine. In the meant time, gather all the requirement information that it needed. if you do not have all the Evidences require by the Instruction, you can send it back in later when they send you the RFE (Request For Evidence) later. Try to finish it before July 30, 2007.

Assembling the I-129F Package: Checklist

Forms and Documents (follow these assembly instructions. All supporting documents must be in English or be translated as noted here.):

1. Payment as required by USCIS. Use a personal check so you can track the payment. Money Orders are also accepted.

2. Cover Letter (see example). Should include a description of what your are petitioning for (I-129F), a table of contents (list everything in the packet). If you need additional room to explain your case, attach a separate sheet (list the attachment on the cover sheet). Make sure to sign and date the cover sheet.

3. Form I-129F: Petition for Alien Fiance(e) (see example)

4. Declaration of how you met in person in the last two years. This should be a single typed page attachment regarding question 18 of the I-129F. Make sure to sign and date it.

5. Original statements (from both the US Citizen and foreign fiance) certifying an intent to marry within 90 days of entering the US on a valid K-1. (see example)

6. Proof of having met in past two years. (click here for examples)

7. G-325A (all four pages) filled out by the US Citizen signed and dated (see example)

8. One passport-type photo (see specification) of the US Citizen. Write the full name of the US citizen on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of <Insert US Citizen's Name>". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a. ( you can go to Costco and pay $5 for the Photo)

9. G-325A (all four pages) filled out by the foreign fiance(e) signed and dated (see example)

10. One passport-type photo (see specification) of the foreign fiance(e). Write the full name of the foreign fiance(e) on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of (insert foreign fiance(e) name) ". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a.

11. Copy of the Birth certificate (front and back) for the US Citizen or a copy of ALL pages of the US Citizen's passport issued with a validity of at least 5 years or a copy of the US Citizen's naturalization certificate (front and back). This is used to establish citizenship.

12. Copy of final Divorce Decree(s) or Certificate(s) for the US Citizen and/or foreign fiance(e) if either has been previously married. If the previous marriage of the US Citizen and/or foreign fiance(e) ended due to the death of their spouse then include a Copy of Death Certificate(s) documenting that fact.

13. Proof of Legal Name Change if either the US Citizen and/or foreign fiance(e) is using a name other than that shown on the relevant documents. You must give USCIS copies of the legal documents that made the change, such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree or court order.

14. In regards to Section C Question 2, if applicable provide certified copies of all court and police records showing the charges and dispositions for any specified conviction(s) (in accordance with the IMBRA). See section 9 of the I-129f instructions for more information.

Documentary Proof of Having Met in Person in the Past Two Years and an Ongoing Relationship:

Use as many of these items are possible. There is no minimum,

but the more you can provide the less likely you are that you will receive an RFE. 1. Copies of all airline boarding passes, train passes, itineraries, hotel receipts, passport stamps (make sure you can read the dates on the stamps), and other documentary evidence that you have met within the last two years. You may want to highlight or place post-it notes indicating the dates and locations on the copies (to make the adjudication easier) for the person reviewing your file.

2. Color Photo's of you and your fiance(e) together. Make sure you write your names, date, and location on the back of every photo. Provide two to five photo's. If you only have a single copy of the photo, then make a color copy and send that. If it is a digital photo, have it printed at a company such as kodakgallery.com. You can also make duplicates of photo's at your local photo store (Walgreeens, CVS, etc). Place photo's in a plastic bag or photo sheet and label the sheet. Note that you may not receive originals of photo's back.

3. The following items will not typically show proof of having met in the last two years however will show proof of an ongoing relationship: Copies of phone bills, cell phone bills, emails (you can edit personal info with a marker), letters (edit personal info also), stamps on the letters (to document the date they were sent), and other written documentary proof. Provide a reasonable amount; two to four of each type. Pick a range of dates up to and including the present. You can also include a copy of engagement ring receipt (this is something that is a big optional - do not worry if you do not have a ring yet!)

Edited by CK&Tydi

My K1 Time Line

Timeline
Hi all!

THANKS!

I totally agreed with VJ member here. Too many to list but you know who you are. Don't hire any lawyers yet. This is not rocket science. If you know how to read and follow instruction, take the simple steps slowly and follow along. It's not that difficult if you take some time out and read it slowly and just follow it step by step. You also have the options to ask members here on any questions or concerns you may have that you thing you don't understand during your process. I am filing K1 myself and waiting for my turn. I have asked a few members here and they gave me the most honest and supportive information I could ask for. When I was in Vietnam my fiancé knew a lady that was charging $1500 also. I spoke with a lawyer here in NYC that was also charging around for the same thing. I think it a totally waste of money. You know what you can do with $1500. Just my opinion but paying 1500 to someone on sometime you can do yourself is just a waste. Have some self confident in yourself. I have heard many stories here and else where, where many people had done this without any lawyers. Think position. If they can do it you can do it. I know Vietnam is a tough place to deal with. The country is poor, people love to scam other people and crime rates are very high which is not your fault but don’t be afraid. THINK POSITION AND BIG PICTURE. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

" Good Luck and Thank you to all "

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Note: Advice and recommendation from VJ should be taken with your own experience and judgement. Disclaim: We are not lawyers after all. What we share here with you solely based on our own experience and educated conclusion. When in doubt, a good experienced immigration lawyer will always your best bet!

Good luck

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

dq2000, assess your case and compare it to the success and delay stories you found here on VJ, if there’s really no big thing to be worried, then I would say do it yourself. If you have a question, search VJ or post it. If your case is complicated and are going to hire a lawyer, hire a good one, not a service or a lawyer who files paperwork for you.

When I started this process, I was also considering hiring a lawyer, because people were saying “K1 visa is REALLY tough in HCMC.” But I am glad I did it myself, and so did my fiancée (for the consulate stage in HCMC).

That said, you should not take it lightly. When your true and honest relationship is being judged for visa, it is extremely stressful. You want to present your best from the beginning (sending of the petition). It is almost like “selling” your relationship. If you design a digital camera to be sold to consumers, do you want the buttons unlabeled or arranged haphazardly? Do you not want to include a user manual? Do you want the menu written in Latin? In other words, make it neat and clear any doubts before they are asked. For example, if you write on the application, “we have known each other for 2 years” then include some evidence that dated 2 years back, or “we had 3 meetings” then prove all three. That way there is no doubt for the person reviewing your application (including USCIS, NVC, Consulate).

Let’s keep the comments about Vietnam not too negative while remaining truthful, folks? Sure there is shame but there is fame, but it is not “people love to scam” (all very strong words “people,” “love,” “scam” - sorry Vietnam07 please don’t take it personal, I know what you mean). You just have to know how to live there and learn to do the right things. To us who lived in Vietnam or traveled to Vietnam at least, we know what you mean, but to foreigners, it may give a wrong impression about Vietnam and the Vietnamese people. I was asked by the a few younger Americans “Vietnam has electricity?” or “cars” or “internet.” They meant well, and I took no offense but that makes me want to buy more “Made in Vietnam” products and care more about the Vietnam image.

Please don’t take offense, anyone. I mean well.

2006-11-08...I-129F sent to TSC

2006-11-14...I-129F received

2006-11-20...NOA1

2006-11-22...Check cashed

2006-11-27...Touched

2007-02-12...Touched...approved

2007-02-13...Touched

2007-02-20...NOA2 letter arrives in the mail

2007-04-05...Packet 3 received in HCMC

2007-04-12...Packet 3 returned to consulate

2007-05-25...Packet 4 received

2007-06-27...Interview...passed

2007-06-28...Visa received

2008.........2-year green card

2010.........10-year green card

2012-04-03...N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox

2012-04-05...N-400 delivered.

2012-04-06...NOA

2012-05-03...Biometrics

2012-05-07...Placed in line for interview scheduling

2012-06-18...Interview letter received

2012-07-23...Interview date (Newark, NJ)

2012-07-23...Oath

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Note: Advice and recommendation from VJ should be taken with your own experience and judgement. Disclaim: We are not lawyers after all. What we share here with you solely based on our own experience and educated conclusion.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that. :blush:

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Timeline
dq2000, assess your case and compare it to the success and delay stories you found here on VJ, if there's really no big thing to be worried, then I would say do it yourself. If you have a question, search VJ or post it. If your case is complicated and are going to hire a lawyer, hire a good one, not a service or a lawyer who files paperwork for you.

When I started this process, I was also considering hiring a lawyer, because people were saying "K1 visa is REALLY tough in HCMC." But I am glad I did it myself, and so did my fiancée (for the consulate stage in HCMC).

That said, you should not take it lightly. When your true and honest relationship is being judged for visa, it is extremely stressful. You want to present your best from the beginning (sending of the petition). It is almost like "selling" your relationship. If you design a digital camera to be sold to consumers, do you want the buttons unlabeled or arranged haphazardly? Do you not want to include a user manual? Do you want the menu written in Latin? In other words, make it neat and clear any doubts before they are asked. For example, if you write on the application, "we have known each other for 2 years" then include some evidence that dated 2 years back, or "we had 3 meetings" then prove all three. That way there is no doubt for the person reviewing your application (including USCIS, NVC, Consulate).

Let's keep the comments about Vietnam not too negative while remaining truthful, folks? Sure there is shame but there is fame, but it is not "people love to scam" (all very strong words "people," "love," "scam" - sorry Vietnam07 please don't take it personal, I know what you mean). You just have to know how to live there and learn to do the right things. To us who lived in Vietnam or traveled to Vietnam at least, we know what you mean, but to foreigners, it may give a wrong impression about Vietnam and the Vietnamese people. I was asked by the a few younger Americans "Vietnam has electricity?" or "cars" or "internet." They meant well, and I took no offense but that makes me want to buy more "Made in Vietnam" products and care more about the Vietnam image.

Please don't take offense, anyone. I mean well.

No offense taken, just trying to help. I love Vietnam myself. A very fun place to visit. If I could be there I would flight today.

I did used some strong words however I didn't mean it like that. :thumbs:

dq2000, assess your case and compare it to the success and delay stories you found here on VJ, if there's really no big thing to be worried, then I would say do it yourself. If you have a question, search VJ or post it. If your case is complicated and are going to hire a lawyer, hire a good one, not a service or a lawyer who files paperwork for you.

When I started this process, I was also considering hiring a lawyer, because people were saying "K1 visa is REALLY tough in HCMC." But I am glad I did it myself, and so did my fiancée (for the consulate stage in HCMC).

That said, you should not take it lightly. When your true and honest relationship is being judged for visa, it is extremely stressful. You want to present your best from the beginning (sending of the petition). It is almost like "selling" your relationship. If you design a digital camera to be sold to consumers, do you want the buttons unlabeled or arranged haphazardly? Do you not want to include a user manual? Do you want the menu written in Latin? In other words, make it neat and clear any doubts before they are asked. For example, if you write on the application, "we have known each other for 2 years" then include some evidence that dated 2 years back, or "we had 3 meetings" then prove all three. That way there is no doubt for the person reviewing your application (including USCIS, NVC, Consulate).

Let's keep the comments about Vietnam not too negative while remaining truthful, folks? Sure there is shame but there is fame, but it is not "people love to scam" (all very strong words "people," "love," "scam" - sorry Vietnam07 please don't take it personal, I know what you mean). You just have to know how to live there and learn to do the right things. To us who lived in Vietnam or traveled to Vietnam at least, we know what you mean, but to foreigners, it may give a wrong impression about Vietnam and the Vietnamese people. I was asked by the a few younger Americans "Vietnam has electricity?" or "cars" or "internet." They meant well, and I took no offense but that makes me want to buy more "Made in Vietnam" products and care more about the Vietnam image.

Please don't take offense, anyone. I mean well.

No offense taken, just trying to help. I love Vietnam myself. A very fun place to visit. If I could be there I would flight today.

I did used some strong words however I didn't mean it like that. :thumbs:

" Good Luck and Thank you to all "

• 2 months later...
Timeline

thanks all for your opinions. In the end, i decided not to use the service. Our case is pretty straightforward, so i'm not terribly concerned. When i was done with the i129f i thought "wow, this is a good amount of stuff and its all organized" so it calmed me down.

so, if ur curious about these places you may want to at least go talk to them. but, if u take the time to understand these forms, its really not difficult.

ok, now I wait for the next step! :dance:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.