Marcelo

I have only dated my fiancee for 1 year!!

27 posts in this topic

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

You guys are awesome!! :D

My fiancee and I were kinda ready for the civil ceremony and the church in Argentina, but we just think perhaps is better, if we will continue to be separated a little longer, that we do so as still being dating and not married. You know, one of those things.

Thanks a lot to all of you for your help.

One last question, there is an private inmigration agency that charges me about $750 for the assistance + the government fees. Should I go forward since time is very important? I just want to make sure that I don't screw up anything.

Milo

I would say, unless you have a complicated situation in your case, like overstaying a visa, I would consider legal help.

We didn't and went through all quite smoothly.

And when you have a question concerning filing, you can always ask here, someone will have an answer that can help you.

o5cni131ii.png

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2009-05-04

NOA Date : 2009-05-21

Online USCIS website: 06-03-2009 ( so am I a May or June filer now.)

Bio. Appt. : 2009-07-24 (walk-in on 07/14/09 and accepted)

*Touch*: 07-15-2009

Card ordered: 2009-08-26

Letter received approved: dated 08-22-2009 :o

*touch* : 2009-08-31

Green card recvd: 2009-09-01

April 2010: Eligible to file for US citizenship

My handmade Jewelry

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

My fiancee and I were kinda ready for the civil ceremony and the church in Argentina, but we just think perhaps is better, if we will continue to be separated a little longer, that we do so as still being dating and not married. You know, one of those things.

One last question, there is an private inmigration agency that charges me about $750 for the assistance + the government fees. Should I go forward since time is very important? I just want to make sure that I don't screw up anything.

Milo

I would say, unless you have a complicated situation in your case, like overstaying a visa, I would consider legal help.

We didn't and went through all quite smoothly.

And when you have a question concerning filing, you can always ask here, someone will have an answer that can help you.

You've just proved John and Marlene's point and to a great extent, part of mine.

Not everybody has the capability to do this on their own. If all you do is ask questions and not sufficently learn the process, you will likely not ask some questions you needed to ask. Not everybody has the ability or aptitude to sufficiently learn the process.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would also add that taking the time to read over all of the forms carefully, match them up with the evidence, ask questions if necessary (especially here) and doing it yourself will also make you familiar with the immigration process, at least at it relates to your circumstances - always a useful knowledge. You will feel more in control of things when you understand what is happening. The immigration process doesn't stop with the granting of the fiancee or spouse visa. Once she is here your next step is to apply for Adjustment of Status; then 2 years after she receives her green card, for the removal of conditions. The more of this you can learn about and do on your own the more in control of things you will feel - as well as saving a lot of money. It isn't a difficult process, just somewhat overwhelming at first. Just break it down into individual pieces, look at each piece on its own, and then put it back together again and you will have no problem. Read all of the instructions and forms over and make a big master list of what you will need and you see that you can do this. Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

last bit of clarifying because I see a question coming from this angle frequently too:

when they say "met" within the last two years, they mean: have you, within the last 2 calendar years, been in the same place and the same time WITH your fiance? as said, you don't need to have dated for 2 years, nor do you need to have literally "met" (as in "how do you do, pleased to make your acquaintance") within the last 2 years. You could've known each other for 20 years, but if you haven't visited with each other since 5 years ago, game over. Alternatively, if you met 4 days ago you're fine to file today.* (*yes, that's a dramatic simplification).

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

You don't have to known your fiance for 2 years. You have to have met them at least once in the last 2 year. For example, if you had been together since 1990 and were applying for a fiance visa in 2007, your last in person visit was 1995, you can not apply for a K-1. But if your last in person visit was in 2005, then you can apply.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
Hi all;

Thank you very much for your information.

I need a little bit of advice here.

I am a US citizen. My fiancee and I have been dating for about 1 (one) year. We are considering 2 options:

1)Fiancee visa

2)Spouse visa

We are somehow more inclined towards the fiancee visa just in case things get delayed. However we had planned already on getting married in southamerica, so the spouse visa is under consideration.

Now everywhere I read, it mentions a minimum of 2 years knowing each other for the fiancee visa. How can we deal with that and move forward with the fiancee visa since we only have dated for 1 year?

Thanks again to everyone. This thread is very helpful.

:dance: Welcome to VJ Milo!! :dance: And Congrats on your engagement.

All I can add to the great advice that you've already received, is that we did our petition without a lawyer's help and everything is going very well so far. Follow the guides and ask in the forum if you have any doubts...and arm yourself with a lot of patience!. Unless you've had previous failed petitions or overstays or something like that, I don't think a lawyer is necessary.

Good Luck!

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Milo

We were worried about filling stuff out wrong too. The entire K-1 process was so overwhelming and confusing to me. I felt much better having an experienced person do our paperwork. He was very good and I really recommend him. His name is Jim Phair and his website is here: Jim Phair He is also cheaper than the price you were given my someone else. He charged us $485. Of course, keep in mind that you also have to pay the filing fee to Homeland Security/USCIS.

We used Jim Phair too, and he did a great job preparing our paperwork. I didn't have to worry about if I made any mistakes. I am not good with paperwork and it was not worth the risk for me. If you just do not feel comfortable filling out paperwork, then use a professional with REFERENCES. I checked his references and everyone said great things about him. I called a few other services and lawyers before I found out about him, and they were all a little questionable. When I spoke to Jim Phair, he was quite knowledgeable and I felt comforable with him. When my wife, Analisa had her interview, she saw several ladies crying at the interview and she found out that they were denied their visas. She was extremely nervous because of this, but all of her documents were in order and her interview only lasted a few minutes.

Jim Phair's website is here: K1 Visa You can try to do this yourself, but if you are not good with paperwork you should think twice abut doing it yourself.

Community Forums - People Helping People

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.