PfcsBaby

Realistic wait time for MTL Interview(K-1 Visas)

15 posts in this topic

Hi,

Just wondering how long of a wait it is to hear from MTL for an interview (K-1 Visa). I called MTL today about any interview and this is what was said to me:

ME:(gave my case #)

MTL: "It is a 4-6 month wait from May 2nd to hear from us."

ME: "Ok, that is why I was calling. I just wanted to know if I was still on a waiting list, or have an interview scheduled."

ME: "So I'm still on a waiting list?"

ME: "Thank you. Bye."

Ok, is it just me, or are they trained there to sound like a robot? I just asked a simple question and got the same answer 3 times from this woman. She wasn't rude in any way, just didn't give me a straight answer. I understand they get thousands of calls in just the 2 hour period their lines are open, but this is just ridicilous. I've been home for over 6 months and I'm wanting to plan a visit to see my fiance at the end of August for 2 weeks, which is why I called MTL to see where things were at for the visa. Has anyone went to the USA for a visit while waiting for the visa? I checked a few threads on here from awhile ago about visiting, but I just wanted to know if there was anyone that has gone recently. I know that I'd have to bring any ties I have to Canada, so they know I'm coming back. Has anyone been refused at the border when flying down, even though they had every possible piece of evidence that they're returning? I'm just worried that I'm going to spend $1200 for 2 plane tickets for me and my son, then have Immigration at the airport refuse me for some reason. Last time I visited my fiance in December, they made me go for secondary questioning. Had me sit there over 4 hours with my 3 year old son, then gave me 10 minutes to go through security and to my gate. I almost missed my flight. There was no reason for that at all. I had everything I could possibly have as far as me returning. I've always come home from my visits. Any in-put would really help me here. Thanks in advanced for your comments!

Mary

Here's my K-1 Timeline:

October 2006 - I-129F sent

10/24/2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!....APPROVED!!

10/30/2007 - Visa in hand!

AOS Timeline:

1/30/08 - Sent AOS pkg Priority Mail with USPS

3/12/08 - Biometrics taken

3/29/08 - EAD and AP in hand for me and my son

5/21/08 - Email-GC on its way!...RFE for my son's application

5/27/08 - GC arrives!!!

7/02/08 - Sons GC arrives!!!

ROC TIMELINE

3/23/10 - ROC sent!

3/29/10 - NOA1

4/22/10 - Biometrics Appt for me and my son

6/30/10 - Email saying card production ordered for me and my son

7/6/10 - Letter in the mail saying cards will arrive within 60 days

7/10/10 - Both cards received!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi,

Just wondering how long of a wait it is to hear from MTL for an interview (K-1 Visa). I called MTL today about any interview and this is what was said to me:

ME: "Ok, that is why I was calling. I just wanted to know if I was still on a waiting list, or have an interview scheduled."

Ok, is it just me, or are they trained there to sound like a robot? I just asked a simple question and got the same answer 3 times from this woman. She wasn't rude in any way, just didn't give me a straight answer. I understand they get thousands of calls in just the 2 hour period their lines are open, but this is just ridicilous. I've been home for over 6 months and I'm wanting to plan a visit to see my fiance at the end of August for 2 weeks, which is why I called MTL to see where things were at for the visa. Has anyone went to the USA for a visit while waiting for the visa? I checked a few threads on here from awhile ago about visiting, but I just wanted to know if there was anyone that has gone recently. I know that I'd have to bring any ties I have to Canada, so they know I'm coming back. Has anyone been refused at the border when flying down, even though they had every possible piece of evidence that they're returning? I'm just worried that I'm going to spend $1200 for 2 plane tickets for me and my son, then have Immigration at the airport refuse me for some reason. Last time I visited my fiance in December, they made me go for secondary questioning. Had me sit there over 4 hours with my 3 year old son, then gave me 10 minutes to go through security and to my gate. I almost missed my flight. There was no reason for that at all. I had everything I could possibly have as far as me returning. I've always come home from my visits. Any in-put would really help me here. Thanks in advanced for your comments!

Mary

Looks like you sent your Packet 3 only a couple of days after me, so we'll probably be hearing from Montreal around the same time. My fiancé and I have not been expecting to hear from them until August about a September interview at the very EARLIEST... I've been guessing that we'll get our interview in October, or November, actually. But, who knows, with Montreal... I'm hoping they'll speed up a little now that they aren't processing certain applications (from those who aren't Canadian residents) anymore!

March 6, 2007 - I-129F package sent

March 21, 2007 - I-129F NOA2

October 17, 2007 - K1 interview - approved

October 19, 2007 - K1 arrived in mail

October 21, 2007 - US entry

October 23, 2007 - Wedding day

November 27, 2007 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

December 7, 2007 - Received all 3 NOA's for AOS, AP & EAD

December 10, 2007 - Received letter for biometrics appointment

January 2, 2008 - I-485 transferred to California

January 3, 2008 - Biometrics

January 16, 2008 - RFE for I-485

January 22, 2008 - RFE for I-485 arrived

January 23, 2008 - AP approved

January 25, 2008 - Case status finally updated: AP approved January 23!

January 31, 2008 - EAD card production ordered

February 2, 2008 - AP arrived in mail

February 5, 2008 - Sending a letter/RFE to CSC

February 5, 2008 - EAD card production ordered (again?!)

February 7, 2008 - RFE/letter arrived at CSC

February 7, 2008 - EAD approval sent

February 9, 2008 - EAD card received, dated January 23rd!

February 25, 2008 - CSC finally acknowledges receiving RFE

February 27, 2008 - I-485 APPROVED!

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

March 3, 2008 - Received welcome letter

March 3, 2008 - I-485 approval letter sent

March 6, 2008 - Green card arrived in mail.

November 2009 - Removal of conditions...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there - yes apparently this is the wait time...you can check out the thread called Mtl Timeline to interview....nice and long with plenty of folks in the same boat (including us)

I recently flew a week ago and had no trouble, I had a letter from my employer stating when they knew I was returning and of course I had my return ticket. Easy peasey

Went back in Feb without a letter and still had no trouble then either

Also went with my daughter at Christmas time and made sure I had the appropriate custody papers (in my case they are for sole) but wasn't even asked for them...go figure!

I think they just decide to be jerks (my opinion anyway) eitehr that or you';re the lucky 1 millionth customer or something.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I was put on the waiting list Feb 23rd. I am hoping for an August Interview date.

Since you sent your checklist May 2 you should hear from them either October or November of this year.

Good luck.

Edit: I visited in April for a day but had onward flight bookings to Greece and Egypt where my wife daughter and I went for a holiday :)

Hi,

Mary

Edited by Lance27

AOS

Filled : 2007-09-17

NOA : 2007-09-25

Biometrics : 2007-12-13

EAD card prod : 2007-12-13

Job Offer : 2007-12-18

EAD card prod : 2007-12-18

EAD approved mailed : 2007-12-21

EAD in Hand : 2007-12-24 (Awesome Christmas Present)

Applied for SSN : 2007-12-26

SSN arrives in mail : 2008-01-05 (Happy New Year)

Start work :2008-01-15

Well I bought our tickets and we're headed down to Atlanta Georgia on August 15th!! and returning September 2nd. I'm so excited, but also nervous with US Customs at the airport. The last experience with them was horrible and it wasn't the first time. About a year and a half ago I had to go through secondary questioning. The guy there was pretty nice. Took my picture, fingerprints and explained to me that I was not allowed to get married down there, blah blah. What I dont understand is why I had to go there again that last time. Clearly it states on their computer that I've returned every single time I've gone down there. I've always carried the proper papers showing I have ties to Canada and that I'll be returning. Maybe its just me, but those officers really like using their authority to the fullest. Anyways, still nothing from MTL and I guess it will be around October or Novemeber until I hear from them. I'll keep things updated as I find out.

Mary

Here's my K-1 Timeline:

AOS Timeline:

5/27/08 - GC arrives!!!

ROC TIMELINE

3/23/10 - ROC sent!

3/29/10 - NOA1

Clearly it states on their computer that I've returned every single time I've gone down there.

FYI, US customs only has the info of your entries into the US. They do not necessarily have info on when you returned to Canada.

Timeline
Well I bought our tickets and we're headed down to Atlanta Georgia on August 15th!! and returning September 2nd. I'm so excited, but also nervous with US Customs at the airport. The last experience with them was horrible and it wasn't the first time. About a year and a half ago I had to go through secondary questioning. The guy there was pretty nice. Took my picture, fingerprints and explained to me that I was not allowed to get married down there, blah blah. What I dont understand is why I had to go there again that last time. Clearly it states on their computer that I've returned every single time I've gone down there. I've always carried the proper papers showing I have ties to Canada and that I'll be returning. Maybe its just me, but those officers really like using their authority to the fullest. Anyways, still nothing from MTL and I guess it will be around October or Novemeber until I hear from them. I'll keep things updated as I find out.

Mary

Atlanta is where your fiance lives? I live in Atlanta, and my fiance has visited me twice, but both times were before we were engaged. But if she were to come again, we would not mention the word fiance. Seems like they just make your life harder if you do, which is impressive considering how hard it already is following immigration rules.

04/04/07 - Mailed I-129F via USPS Priority Mail

04/09/07 - Petition Delivered to TSC

04/13/07 - NOA1

04/18/07 - Check Cashed

08/06/07 - NOA2

09/05/07 - Packet 3 Arrives

09/12/07 - Packet 3 Returned

11/24/07 - Packet 4 Received

02/13/08 - Interview

02/20/08 - Approved

04/27/08 - POE @ Detroit

05/20/08 - Married

06/25/08 - Filed I-485/EAD/AP

09/03/08 - EAD Approved

09/08/08 - AP Approved

09/16/08 - I-485 Approved

Next Step: I-751

Timeline
Hi,

Mary

Hey-my fiance came like 1.5 weeks ago, flew in from Toronto-had ALL the evidence & everything ready-and they only asked 3 simple questions and he was through. So, It could be bad-you COULD be denied, BUT, it could be SOOOOO simple too-so just hope & pray that everything works out-but I'd say it is worth the shot. :) Good luck

Visa Type: K-1

Embassy: Montreal

NOA1: 4-24-2007

NOA2: 8-15-2007

Recieved Packet 3: 9-15-2007

Returned Packet 3: 1-29-2008

Montreal Recieved: 2-04-2008

Interview date: 3-27-2008 (APPROVED!!!)

Visa in hand: 4-01-2008 (and it wasn't an APRIL FOOLS JOKE!)

Date of US entry: 4-12-2008

Date of wedding: 5-24-2008

AOS, EAD & AP Filed: 10-02-2009

AOS, EAD & AP NOA1: 10-19-2009

I never thought it was worth it, you know, waiting for your love, and then I felt your kiss, I could wait forever for this........

Timeline

Neiks, I read somehwere that if you fly out of the US the airlines provides passenger manifests to DHS. When I visited in 2006 I flew via Toronto and I goofed on the last time I left the US, Said Aug 21 and the officer looked straight at me and said "Dont lie to me, it says here you left Oct 21" That goof sent me into secondary luckly I had all my evidence and was alowed through but not before having to go through 20 mins of questioning in secondary.

Clearly it states on their computer that I've returned every single time I've gone down there.

FYI, US customs only has the info of your entries into the US. They do not necessarily have info on when you returned to Canada.

AOS

Filled : 2007-09-17

NOA : 2007-09-25

Biometrics : 2007-12-13

EAD card prod : 2007-12-13

Job Offer : 2007-12-18

EAD card prod : 2007-12-18

EAD approved mailed : 2007-12-21

EAD in Hand : 2007-12-24 (Awesome Christmas Present)

Applied for SSN : 2007-12-26

SSN arrives in mail : 2008-01-05 (Happy New Year)

Start work :2008-01-15

Well I'll be praying that they dont take me again for secondary questioning for a 3rd time. I'm always honest with them and never hesitate with my answers. I guess its just power tripping officers that get their kicks outta watching people squirm. It wouldn't be so bad if I didnt have my 4 year old son with me. But anyways, to mwinburn, my fiancee lives In Conyers. I love it there. I don't really like the big city, even though I've lived in Toronto most of my life LOL, but its a bit more quiet there. If I don't get back on here before I'll go, I'll let y'all know if I made it through or not after August 15th.

Mary

Here's my K-1 Timeline:

AOS Timeline:

5/27/08 - GC arrives!!!

ROC TIMELINE

3/23/10 - ROC sent!

3/29/10 - NOA1

Neiks, I read somehwere that if you fly out of the US the airlines provides passenger manifests to DHS. When I visited in 2006 I flew via Toronto and I goofed on the last time I left the US, Said Aug 21 and the officer looked straight at me and said "Dont lie to me, it says here you left Oct 21" That goof sent me into secondary luckly I had all my evidence and was alowed through but not before having to go through 20 mins of questioning in secondary
Yes, I suppose they could get that info from the airline. I was thinking that they probably were not given that info of the return from Canada Customs. I know at land border that they would not have that info at their fingertips..... but then again maybe they do - need to get back to work and back in the loop, my knowledge is maybe getting rusty after being away for 9 months. lol

• 3 weeks later...

Just 1 more question before I leave for Atlanta tomorrow. I've read before on here that people said they were visiting their boyfriend/girlfriend instead of saying their fiancee, that way they didn't have any problems going through US Customs at the airport. What should I tell them? With the last time being stuck in secondary, I dont want to have to go through that again, which is why I'll be there at 9am even though my flight doesn't leave until 2pm. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's my K-1 Timeline:

AOS Timeline:

5/27/08 - GC arrives!!!

ROC TIMELINE

3/23/10 - ROC sent!

3/29/10 - NOA1

Timeline

Have you tried calling Montreal lately about your interview? You are pretty the same time as me and I am reluctant to call this week since I already did last week. We can take turns :-P

March 6, 2007 - I-129F package sent

March 21, 2007 - I-129F NOA2

October 17, 2007 - K1 interview - approved

October 19, 2007 - K1 arrived in mail

October 21, 2007 - US entry

October 23, 2007 - Wedding day

November 27, 2007 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

December 7, 2007 - Received all 3 NOA's for AOS, AP & EAD

December 10, 2007 - Received letter for biometrics appointment

January 2, 2008 - I-485 transferred to California

January 3, 2008 - Biometrics

January 16, 2008 - RFE for I-485

January 22, 2008 - RFE for I-485 arrived

January 23, 2008 - AP approved

January 25, 2008 - Case status finally updated: AP approved January 23!

January 31, 2008 - EAD card production ordered

February 2, 2008 - AP arrived in mail

February 5, 2008 - Sending a letter/RFE to CSC

February 5, 2008 - EAD card production ordered (again?!)

February 7, 2008 - RFE/letter arrived at CSC

February 7, 2008 - EAD approval sent

February 9, 2008 - EAD card received, dated January 23rd!

February 25, 2008 - CSC finally acknowledges receiving RFE

February 27, 2008 - I-485 APPROVED!

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

March 3, 2008 - Received welcome letter

March 3, 2008 - I-485 approval letter sent

March 6, 2008 - Green card arrived in mail.

November 2009 - Removal of conditions...

Just 1 more question before I leave for Atlanta tomorrow. I've read before on here that people said they were visiting their boyfriend/girlfriend instead of saying their fiancee, that way they didn't have any problems going through US Customs at the airport. What should I tell them? With the last time being stuck in secondary, I dont want to have to go through that again, which is why I'll be there at 9am even though my flight doesn't leave until 2pm. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've crossed a tonne (at least 12 times in the last year and a half) and I've never used the word "fiance". The first few visits I was seeing a "friend" and lately I've upgraded that to "boyfriend". The interesting thing is that they've never actually asked if my boyfriend/fiance is a USC.

Just relax and everything should be fine.

Met: 2005-10-05 at best friend's wedding in Key West

K1

I-129F Sent : 2006-12-07

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-12-11

I-129F RFE(s) : 2007-03-08

RFE Reply(s) : 2007-04-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-04-04

Packet 3 Received : 2007-05-04

Packet 3 Sent : 2007-05-11

Added to MTL Waiting List: 2007-05-17

Medical in Toronto: 2007-08-08

Called MTL: 2007-08-08 - told to expect interview Sept. or Oct.

Emailed MTL on 2007-08-22 INTERVIEW DATE: October 17, 2007 at 9:30am!!!

Delay in processing due to needing a New Zealand Police Certificate

Visa in hand: 2007-12-19

POE at Peace Bridge - Christmas Day, 2007!

Wedding in Las Vegas - February 11, 2008

AOS

AOS Package Sent: 2008-03-04

Packaged Received in Chicago: 2008-03-05

Received NOA1: 2008-03-10

Biometrics Appt: 2008-04-02

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.