mr4422

SAWASDEE 2

4,363 posts in this topic

Yeah, I'm thinking about that. I live near Baltimore. Kuwait to NYC is cheap, but there's a connection in Kuwait City. We could take a week in a (cold) NYC (where I lived for 4 years) or else opt for a more expensive Thai Airways direct flight to L.A., then we could meet there, do L.A., SF and maybe Grand Canyon. She doesn't know the U.S., so is leaving it to me. :blink:

Anna's on the Kuwait flight. I don't think it's a big deal, the US Army is still in the area and they aren't going to let these girls leave the security area anyway.

I live in Florida, so I don't really care to go to SoCal...haha... and we're already going to Vegas in February. Anyway, she's very excited to see NYC and there is no better time of year to be there IMHO. It should be gorgeous! You can get the Hyatt Regency in NJ that is right across from Manhattan (only one stop and a few minutes by the PATH train) for only $71 per night and the EWR Airport Hilton for $55. I prefer it to staying in Manhattan anyway, because anything less than a high room in a 5* is going to be noisy. Plus the views are AWESOME from there.

http://jerseycity.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

I plan to take her to the Statue of Liberty, skating at Rockefeller Center, walking in Central Park (hope it snows) and to a Broadway show.... and ALL of this will be cheaper than flying to BKK... though technically I got all of the flights for free with mileage. (But I still account for mileage as real money, because in a way, it IS...)

I wasn't concerned about Kuwait City, per se. Just thinking non-stop was perhaps better. When is your SO arriving? Thanks for the tip on the Hyatt!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wasn't concerned about Kuwait City, per se. Just thinking non-stop was perhaps better. When is your SO arriving? Thanks for the tip on the Hyatt!

Eh... it's a three hour layover. Not bad given the price difference. Plus, Anna loves to take pics of everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) and is excited to take some pix in Kuwait (even though she has zero chance of leaving the secure area of KWI, LOL). She was going to give our old digital cam to her parents, but now is going to bring it and mail it back later just because she wants to take the pix in Kuwait. haha

She will leave and arrive on the 17th. We'll stay 4 nights in NYC and then come back here for a guaranteed green Xmas.

FYI: That is the Priceline price for that hotel.

Is anyone here is touch with how smoothly things are going at S. airport in Bangkok? My DIL was scheduled to fly on Eva on Thursday the 11th, and just got a call that they are rerouting her on China Airlines since her flight has been canceled. My son is driving to LAX to pick her up, which is crazy, but people in love do crazy things. He can't wait around for days if she doesn't arrive, as he is expected back at work.

Thanks!

Thai Mom

Is anyone here is touch with how smoothly things are going at S. airport in Bangkok? My DIL was scheduled to fly on Eva on Thursday the 11th, and just got a call that they are rerouting her on China Airlines since her flight has been canceled. My son is driving to LAX to pick her up, which is crazy, but people in love do crazy things. He can't wait around for days if she doesn't arrive, as he is expected back at work.

Thanks!

Thai Mom

Things seem to be running fairly smoothly FOR NOW. But Mr Sondhi has warned his movement would return to the streets if politicians loyal to Thaksin are re-elected (and they almost certainly will be....) So now is a great time to be flying OUT!

He's driving from NEBRASKA? Any reason he didn't want to fly?

Thanks!

Thai Mom

Things seem to be running fairly smoothly FOR NOW. But Mr Sondhi has warned his movement would return to the streets if politicians loyal to Thaksin are re-elected (and they almost certainly will be....) So now is a great time to be flying OUT!

He driving from Colorado - still a bit far. He likes road trips and apparently thinks she does too. There are also some sights he wants to show her. I think she will have had enough traveling by the time she gets here. I'm hoping they get this political mess figured out without too much fanfare for the sake of everyone.

Thai Mom

Our consulate interview is on Friday the 19th, but if they don't issue the visa right away ...?

Does anyone know if the embassy will work any part of xmas week?

never mind:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/holidays.html

(only Christmas Day is holiday)

Our consulate interview is on Friday the 19th, but if they don't issue the visa right away ...?

Does anyone know if the embassy will work any part of xmas week?

never mind:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/holidays.html

(only Christmas Day is holiday)

Since I am procrastinating on sleep, I took a journey to their website:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/visas/general...-operation.html

Officially their only days off are Christmas and New Years.

Thai Mom

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks!

Thai Mom

He driving from Colorado - still a bit far. He likes road trips and apparently thinks she does too. There are also some sights he wants to show her. I think she will have had enough traveling by the time she gets here. I'm hoping they get this political mess figured out without too much fanfare for the sake of everyone.

Thai Mom

If my husband took me for a road trip right after I landed from 20+ hours flight? I'll be so mad!! :lol: I hope they plan on resting somewhere first :yes:

Good luck!

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

If my husband took me for a road trip right after I landed from 20+ hours flight? I'll be so mad!! :lol: I hope they plan on resting somewhere first :yes:

Good luck!

Personally, I can go without sleep for quite a while--even more so when I am traveling in a new place. But as far as I have experienced your statement is especially true of Thais.... hehe... Anna would kill me as well. Hope they will stay in LA for a day or two first... :)

Edited by toma1

Good luck!

Personally, I can go without sleep for quite a while--even more so when I am traveling in a new place. But as far as I have experienced your statement is especially true of Thais.... hehe... Anna would kill me as well. Hope they will stay in LA for a day or two first... :)

I agree with both of you. He said they discussed it and that's what they want to do. She may change her mind! They're planning one night's rest in LA. It must be nice to be young. I might add that she is traveling about 14 hours just to get to Bangkok prior to departing. In my experience it was a kicker of a trip without any 'extras'.

Hopefully Anna's travel will be uneventful, too.

Thai Mom

I agree with both of you. He said they discussed it and that's what they want to do. She may change her mind! They're planning one night's rest in LA. It must be nice to be young. I might add that she is traveling about 14 hours just to get to Bangkok prior to departing.

Wow... where is she from? Udon Thani?

I agree with both of you. He said they discussed it and that's what they want to do. She may change her mind! They're planning one night's rest in LA. It must be nice to be young. I might add that she is traveling about 14 hours just to get to Bangkok prior to departing.

She's been down south visiting family the last 10 days or so. She's lived in Hua Hin the last five years or so.

Thai Mom

She's been down south visiting family the last 10 days or so. She's lived in Hua Hin the last five years or so.

Thai Mom

IC.. ya, Anna's at her parent's house right now as well. Actually, she owns the house, but her parents live there... It's a gorgeous house. She just had it built it about three years ago.

I LOVED Hua Hin. Anna and I spent a few days there at the Springfield and we really enjoyed it. Check out the pool:

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2...097070_2109.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2...097640_1332.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Good luck!

LOL I can go without sleep to if it's fo "visiting" new places :P just not have enough patient to sit on the plane for 20 some hours then jump in a car for another 14 hours! but if I fly 20 hours then arrive at my destination, I can go on without sleep until it's the "local" time to sleep :P

Good luck with Anna' and Thai mom DIL, wish them a good flight!! :D

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Thanks anya!

Do you (or anyone else) know a good shipper in BKK? Anna has some large boxes she wants to send next week. They are too big for air mail, so I think we need a good freight forwarder to ship them to the Port of Tampa.

Also, does anyone know what the story is with duties at the port when you are shipping personal effects?

Tom

Edited by toma1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.