mr4422

SAWASDEE 2

4,363 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi again,

After being told (by the NVC recording) that our package was "sent to BKK on 3-26"..it turns out it was not. They sent me a letter saying they could "not process our petition because the $70 processing fee was not paid". Their message was changed to reflect this as well.

So Obviously I sent this money to the NVC immediately and my question is this: Does the NVC go thru my financials in NH...or does that happen in BKK? I ask because I have not (yet) been asked for my paperwork (taxes etc) so we could be in for a VERY long wait, if this is the case.

Man...what next?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I just read on the US Bangkok Embassy website that we are supposed to turn in the checklist once we have everything ready and then we are scheduled an interview time. Is it alright to turn the checklist in once we receive the Packet 3 from the Embassy and then get everything while we wait for the interview since the wait is over a month? Or do we actually have to have everything done before turning in the checklist?

Timeline

01/15/2007 I-129F sent to Nebraska

01/17/2007 I-129 received in Nebraska

01/22/2007 NOA1

01/24/2007 Touched

04/11/2007 Touched

04/19/2007 NOA2

05/08/2007 NVC receives case

05/10/2007 NVC sends case to Bangkok embassy

05/17/2007 Sent packet 3 checklist with additional documents to Bangkok embassy

05/18/2007 Bangkok embassy receives my packet 3 checklist and additional documents

05/18/2007 Bangkok embassy sends packet 3

05/22/2007 Received packet 3 from Bangkok embassy

05/30/2007 Interview date posted on embassy website

06/17/2007 Thai and Christian Wedding Ceremony and Reception!!! (NOTHING LEGALLY RECOGNIZED)

07/05/2007 Interview

07/06/2007 Picked up visa

07/08/2007 Flying to US

07/09/2007 Arriving in Indy

07/10/2007 Getting hitched LEGALLY at small-claims court!!!

07/25/2007 Sent AOS packet to Chicago

07/27/2007 AOS packet received at Chicago

Filed: Timeline

n20jones,

The NVC checks the financial package for completeness - is all the required documentation present. The consulate checks the information in the documents to determine whether or not the financial qualifications are met.

Yodrak

Hi again,

After being told (by the NVC recording) that our package was "sent to BKK on 3-26"..it turns out it was not. They sent me a letter saying they could "not process our petition because the $70 processing fee was not paid". Their message was changed to reflect this as well.

So Obviously I sent this money to the NVC immediately and my question is this: Does the NVC go thru my financials in NH...or does that happen in BKK? I ask because I have not (yet) been asked for my paperwork (taxes etc) so we could be in for a VERY long wait, if this is the case.

Man...what next?

Thanks in advance.

david,

They will want to inspect the red-stamped birth certificate but should want to keep only a photocopy of it, so your fiancee should have a photocopy as well as the original. If she doesn't have a photocopy they may well keep the original.

Yodrak

well, my fiance just made another visit to the birth certificate "office". she went there with her mother to have a "certificate for being single/never married" made. while she was there, she asked again about getting another certified birth certificate made. they told her that if the embassy takes the one that they made for her last week; that she can come back to the office and they will just make her another one. so, i guess we're going to go with that. she'll take the one red stamped birth certificate that she has, her thai id, and her house registration to the interview. if they take her birth certificate away from her and keep it; we'll just have another one made. also, for future use, she'll be heading over to a translation shop to get it translated into english later today.

thanks for all of the help. if it seems as if i've overlooked something; please let me know.

best,

david

Edited by Yodrak

aitian,

I think that most people turn in the signed statement of readiness before they actually are, in anticipation that they will be ready by the time the interview takes place. It's a gamble, but the anecdotal evidence is that it's usually a safe bet.

Yodrak

I just read on the US Bangkok Embassy website that we are supposed to turn in the checklist once we have everything ready and then we are scheduled an interview time. Is it alright to turn the checklist in once we receive the Packet 3 from the Embassy and then get everything while we wait for the interview since the wait is over a month? Or do we actually have to have everything done before turning in the checklist?

Timeline

Hey all, I have two questions:

1) my fiance's birth certificate is 24 years old and shows. it is barely holding up. it doesn't have any red stamp as other posts have mentioned. is this alright?

2) i've read a bunch about getting things translated but on the checklist given by the US Embassy in Bangkok it states that only documents that are not in English or Thai need to be translated. Therefore, it means birth certificates and everything else that is in Thai does not need to be translated. Is this correct because everyone seems to talk about getting stuff translated?

Timeline

01/22/2007 NOA1

01/24/2007 Touched

04/11/2007 Touched

04/19/2007 NOA2

05/18/2007 Bangkok embassy receives my packet 3 checklist and additional documents

06/17/2007 Thai and Christian Wedding Ceremony and Reception!!! (NOTHING LEGALLY RECOGNIZED)

07/05/2007 Interview

07/08/2007 Flying to US

aitian,

1) The consular officer will let you know if it isn't. (I'll bet that if you request a copy of your own birth certificate today it will not look the same as the copy that was issued to your parents when you were born. Things change over time.)

2) Documents that a consulate can accept in the native language, because they live and work in the native country and have people who can read them, are not acceptable to the USCIS or other entities here in the USA, where the there may not be people around who can read the language. khao jai mai?

Yodrak

Hey all, I have two questions:

1) my fiance's birth certificate is 24 years old and shows. it is barely holding up. it doesn't have any red stamp as other posts have mentioned. is this alright?

2) i've read a bunch about getting things translated but on the checklist given by the US Embassy in Bangkok it states that only documents that are not in English or Thai need to be translated. Therefore, it means birth certificates and everything else that is in Thai does not need to be translated. Is this correct because everyone seems to talk about getting stuff translated?

Timeline

thanks, that's what i thought about the translation but didn't really understand why people were worried about it so early on in the process.

Timeline

01/22/2007 NOA1

01/24/2007 Touched

04/11/2007 Touched

04/19/2007 NOA2

07/05/2007 Interview

07/08/2007 Flying to US

aitian,

You read the instructions - some people don't. Sometimes people hear bad information, or good information, and question it to determine whether it's good or bad. And sometimes people think ahead and realize that it's often less expensive to get translations done ahead of time in the native country rather than after arriving in the USA.

Yodrak

thanks, that's what i thought about the translation but didn't really understand why people were worried about it so early on in the process.

goontar,

You don't have to do anything. As long as your fiancee has responded to the consulate's mailing - and obviously she has since an interview has been set up - the consulate will extend the validity oeriod of the petition approval.

Yodrak

Here's a good one. The visa petition expires 2 days before the interview. Un friggin real.

Does anyone know what I can do about this? Thanks.

Timeline
goontar,

You don't have to do anything. As long as your fiancee has responded to the consulate's mailing - and obviously she has since an interview has been set up - the consulate will extend the validity oeriod of the petition approval.

Yodrak

Here's a good one. The visa petition expires 2 days before the interview. Un friggin real.

Does anyone know what I can do about this? Thanks.

Thank you. That takes one more item off the list.

Oct 24 NOA1 Texas/CSC

Timeline
aitian,

You read the instructions - some people don't. Sometimes people hear bad information, or good information, and question it to determine whether it's good or bad. And sometimes people think ahead and realize that it's often less expensive to get translations done ahead of time in the native country rather than after arriving in the USA.

Yodrak

Yodrak,

Just curious, but... what documents would you recommend having translated for later use in the US? We've gotten the birth certificates done in Bangkok already, but I can't help thinking that there are others that we'll eventually wish we had translated to English.

Timeline
well, my fiance just made another visit to the birth certificate "office". she went there with her mother to have a "certificate for being single/never married" made. while she was there, she asked again about getting another certified birth certificate made. they told her that if the embassy takes the one that they made for her last week; that she can come back to the office and they will just make her another one. so, i guess we're going to go with that. she'll take the one red stamped birth certificate that she has, her thai id, and her house registration to the interview. if they take her birth certificate away from her and keep it; we'll just have another one made. also, for future use, she'll be heading over to a translation shop to get it translated into english later today.

thanks for all of the help. if it seems as if i've overlooked something; please let me know.

best,

david

Okay, now it's ME that's confused!

My fiancee is also "single/never married", and has a 14 year old daughter, who may or may not elect to join us in the States within a year (there are no plans for that as of now, but.... sometimes plans change, yes?) Neither she nor I have heard anything about this "certificate for being single/never married" before yesterday, and now we're beginning to think that WE need one as well, whatever it is. She insists that her marital status is sufficiently explained by the fact that she's listed as "Miss Family-name-at-birth" in her "family book", but.... her interview is scheduled in a couple of weeks, and we don't want to take a chance on ANYthing that might possibly cause further delay!

So.... what is it, exactly, and where do we get one? Does this document have a name or number, and am I correct in assuming that your fiancee picked it up at the amphur office, and not at the local police station?

Any more info will be greatly appreciated!

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline
n20jones,

The NVC checks the financial package for completeness - is all the required documentation present. The consulate checks the information in the documents to determine whether or not the financial qualifications are met.

Yodrak

Hi again,

Man...what next?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Yodrak, I have read every post in this thread with special attention on yours. Allow me to say that if this (excellent ) website does not have you on the payroll...they should. Like so many others, I REALLY appreciate the info and insight you provide.

...and if you are feeling very tolerant, could I ask you to please expound on your reply. My concern is that the NVC does not have any of my financials (to date) to document. When you say they are making sure the documents are complete, do you mean in the form of questions?

I was under the impression that I would be turning my financials in at the interview...but that don't make much sense either. Seems it would take quite some time to go thru all that #######. If you can point me to a thread that explains the steps ( I hired an agent) I would quit littering this thread with my assanine questions. Promise. ;)

Thanks again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.