15 posts in this topic

i was given a scenario and was wondering what would happen... the fiance visa goes well and the lady is able to go to the US and marry her fiance... so they got married ... and sometime later the husband dies of natural causes.... would the lady be deported back to her country??

04-1998 his sister/ my friend introduced us to each other..

04-24-1998 got together as boyfriend and girlfriend..

........... 8 YEARS AND 8 MONTHS LATER...............

12-23-2006 he proposed in baguio city philippines.. of course i said YES!!!

01-09-2007 back to US

07-06-2007 mailed I-129F packet

07-09-2007 I-129F delivered (Laguna Niguel)

07-07-2007 NOA1

waiting ... waiting.... waiting....

11-10-2007 - February 5, 2008 went to the Philippines

12-17-2007 NOA2

02-18-2008 mailed him necessary documents

02-21-2008 he passed the local nursing boards... wooohooo :)

02-22-2008 he received the package

02-26-2008 schedule of his physical

02-272008 continuation of his physical

03-02-2008 MY BIRTHDAY...

03-04-2008 INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!! PASSED IT... WOOOHOOOOO

03-26-2008 visa delivered.... FINALLY!!!!!!!!

03-27-2008 got plane ticket...

04-01-2008 CFO

04-11-2008 U.S. arrival

04-24-2008 CIVIL WEDDING /OUR 10TH YEAR ANNIVERSARY

04-25-2008 file SSN

One who sits between two chairs may easily fall down.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Assuming they got approved and arrived on K1 , K3 or CR1 visas they would need to lift conditons after some time. If at the time they go to lift conditons it states on the instructions for the I-751 If you are a widow, widower, or divorced you must still submit the form along with supporting evidence and the death certificate or divorce certificate along with a letter stating your circumstances. It also says a hardship letter stating why your removal from the USA would cause you hardship. So I am assuming as long as they have the proper information they can adjust without the spouse.

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Assuming they got approved and arrived on K1 , K3 or CR1 visas they would need to lift conditons after some time. If at the time they go to lift conditons it states on the instructions for the I-751 If you are a widow, widower, or divorced you must still submit the form along with supporting evidence and the death certificate or divorce certificate along with a letter stating your circumstances. It also says a hardship letter stating why your removal from the USA would cause you hardship. So I am assuming as long as they have the proper information they can adjust without the spouse.

what do you mean by lift conditions??

01-09-2007 back to US

07-07-2007 NOA1

12-17-2007 NOA2

04-01-2008 CFO

04-11-2008 U.S. arrival

04-25-2008 file SSN

Timeline

Once you come on K1 you AOS and get a 2 year green card. Come on K3 and CR1 you have to file and lift conditions 90 days before your 2 years in the USA. You will have to file I-751 petition and pay fees and have bio appointments again.

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

there's a whole foum on the effect of major family changes. check it out, there are examples of that unfortunate scenario there.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

NO :no: if just need to lift conditions, the conditional green card holder can lift the conditions on their own, by requesting a waiver of the joint filing requirement.

Filing after Death of U.S. Citizen Spouse

If the U.S. citizen spouse dies the conditional permanent resident must file for a waiver of the joint I-751 petition. The conditional permanent resident must again be able to show that s/he entered into the marriage in good faith in order to obtain an approval of the waiver and be granted regular lawful permanent resident status. In order to qualify, it is also necessary to document the death of the U.S. citizen spouse and file within certain timeframes.

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_remcon.html

If adjusting status as a widow, then file I-485 along with I-864W. A widow of a US Citizen is exempt from the affidavit of support requirement.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864w.pdf

A widow of a US citizen residing over seas can even petition to immigrate by using I-360

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

More reading:

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/iv/spousedec.html

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Timeline

MaryandMian,

Bad assumption. The I-485 instructions do not say the same thing as the I-751 instructions.

Yodrak

Edited by Yodrak

Timeline

OP states they are married so I am assuming they had a 2 year card and they are still fine with the greencard. The next step would be to lift conditons if they had AOS. Sorry my error then.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Right the earlier answers skipped the step of adjusting status. The conditions are placed on the status. You must have conditional permanent resident status (a two-year green card) before you can remove conditions.

So, there are several potential scenarios I can think of. Maybe there are more.

USC dies....

1. After visa issue but before entry

2. After entry on K1 but before marriage

3. After marriage but before adjusting status

4. After adjusting status to conditional resident

5. After removing conditions.

All but #1 #5 have some potential issues to deal with. Unfortunately #1 means the visa terms cannot possibly be complied with. #5 has no issues because they already have unconditional permanent resident status.

NO :no: if just need to lift conditions, the conditional green card holder can lift the conditions on their own, by requesting a waiver of the joint filing requirement.
Filing after Death of U.S. Citizen Spouse

If the U.S. citizen spouse dies the conditional permanent resident must file for a waiver of the joint I-751 petition. The conditional permanent resident must again be able to show that s/he entered into the marriage in good faith in order to obtain an approval of the waiver and be granted regular lawful permanent resident status. In order to qualify, it is also necessary to document the death of the U.S. citizen spouse and file within certain timeframes.

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_remcon.html

If adjusting status as a widow, then file I-485 along with I-864W. A widow of a US Citizen is exempt from the affidavit of support requirement.

A widow of a US citizen residing over seas can even petition to immigrate by using I-360

More reading:

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

OP states they are married so I am assuming they had a 2 year card and they are still fine with the greencard. The next step would be to lift conditons if they had AOS. Sorry my error then.

thank you very much...

01-09-2007 back to US

07-07-2007 NOA1

12-17-2007 NOA2

04-01-2008 CFO

04-11-2008 U.S. arrival

04-25-2008 file SSN

YuAndDan,

Tricky tricky - leaving out the critical details. You know how many people take the time to read the references.

Certain widows, not all.

Yodrak

More reading:

spiderbonge,

What is the lady's status when her husband dies? How long have they been married?

In any case, probably not. Unless something else happened to cause ICE to come looking for her.

Yodrak

i was given a scenario and was wondering what would happen... the fiance visa goes well and the lady is able to go to the US and marry her fiance... so they got married ... and sometime later the husband dies of natural causes.... would the lady be deported back to her country??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Right the earlier answers skipped the step of adjusting status. The conditions are placed on the status. You must have conditional permanent resident status (a two-year green card) before you can remove conditions.

USC dies....

All but #1 #5 have some potential issues to deal with. Unfortunately #1 means the visa terms cannot possibly be complied with. #5 has no issues because they already have unconditional permanent resident status.

I see #2 as having problems also for a K-1 Fiancee, they are required to marry the petitioner and since that has not happened yet for #2, they are not a Widow of a US Citizen and cannot adjust status by (I-485 and I-864W), they could marry someone else, and then file I-130 and I-485 concurrently to adjust status with a different us citizen.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

USC dies....

I see #2 as having problems also for a K-1 Fiancee, they are required to marry the petitioner and since that has not happened yet for #2, they are not a Widow of a US Citizen and cannot adjust status by (I-485 and I-864W), they could marry someone else, and then file I-130 and I-485 concurrently to adjust status with a different us citizen.

Um, I think "all but 1 and 5" includes "2". :yes:

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.