billsafari

Moving to Russia

64 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey guys and gals, I've been looking all over the internet and cant find the answers I am looking for. Maybe you guys can help. Heres our sitation. After we get the K-1 and enter the US we will marry within in a week and file the AOS paperwork. We are considering after 2 or 3 years moving to Vladimir. Heres my questions.

1. Can I (a foreigner) own property in Russia? (Flat or build a house)

2. Can I have a bank account in Russia? Is it difficult to wire money from a USA account to a Russian bank account?

3. Do I have to go to a Russian driving school to get a driver's license?

4. How will this affect the AOS and my girl's green card, citizenship process here in the USA?

In addition, if and when we move to Russia my income will be from trading stock/options/bonds in my online account.

5. Will I have to pay capital gains taxes in Russia along with my taxes in the US? I hope not!!

6. Will we need to marry in Russia also to get my temporary residences visa, then permenant residence?. (If anyone can shed some light on this whole subject and process it would be greatly apreciated.)

These are all the questions I have for the moment. I have searched the internet and found only outdated and conflicting info. All help is greatly appreciated. thanks!!!

Met Dec. 4 2006

1st visit to Russia - Jan. 23-30.

Engaged Jan. 24

CSC recieved and pending - NOA1 March 1

Touched- March 9 - recieved NOA1 hard copy in mail.

2nd visit - March 12 -27

Touched - May 23 (pleeeeeeeeeeeease)

APPROVED MAY 22 (On 5/25 I did the RFE trick and the CSC said it was approved 5/22. The dufus at USCIS was completely positive they were only working on Nov. 2006 petitions)

May 30th- Petition leaves CSC for NVC.

3rd visit - May 31 - August 31 ( If all goes well she will come home with me!!!)

Left NVC June 11th (I called everyday since 5/30 and they never recieved it??? Then on 6/13 I called and it was not only recieved but already sent to the embassy 6/11?? 

INTERVIEW 8/22

July 3rd-Recieved Packet

8/22 Interview was a sucess!!!

8/31 We arrive at JFK. Problem free entry.

10/26 Married!

1/15/08 Sent I-485

2/26 NOA

3/21 Biometrics Appointment

3/29 Received EAD Card

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline
Hey guys and gals, I've been looking all over the internet and cant find the answers I am looking for. Maybe you guys can help. Heres our sitation. After we get the K-1 and enter the US we will marry within in a week and file the AOS paperwork. We are considering after 2 or 3 years moving to Vladimir. Heres my questions.

2. Can I have a bank account in Russia? Is it difficult to wire money from a USA account to a Russian bank account?

4. How will this affect the AOS and my girl's green card, citizenship process here in the USA?

In addition, if and when we move to Russia my income will be from trading stock/options/bonds in my online account.

5. Will I have to pay capital gains taxes in Russia along with my taxes in the US? I hope not!!

6. Will we need to marry in Russia also to get my temporary residences visa, then permenant residence?. (If anyone can shed some light on this whole subject and process it would be greatly apreciated.)

These are all the questions I have for the moment. I have searched the internet and found only outdated and conflicting info. All help is greatly appreciated. thanks!!!

From what I know yes, you can buy property in Russia, and if it's a real estate thing, that would help you get residence. But I am not sure.

Why would you want to move there anyways (if you don't mind me asking)?

Timeline

I like Russia and it's pace, especially Vladimir. I dont know if we would live here forever, but I would like to have a flat here and in the US so we can live back and forth at our leisure. Plus the dollar goes a long way in Russia, at least in Vladimir.

Edited by billsafari

Met Dec. 4 2006

Engaged Jan. 24

2nd visit - March 12 -27

APPROVED MAY 22 (On 5/25 I did the RFE trick and the CSC said it was approved 5/22. The dufus at USCIS was completely positive they were only working on Nov. 2006 petitions)

3rd visit - May 31 - August 31 ( If all goes well she will come home with me!!!)

Left NVC June 11th (I called everyday since 5/30 and they never recieved it??? Then on 6/13 I called and it was not only recieved but already sent to the embassy 6/11?? 

INTERVIEW 8/22

July 3rd-Recieved Packet

10/26 Married!

1/15/08 Sent I-485

2/26 NOA

3/29 Received EAD Card

I live in Eastern Ukraine and I can tell you about my experience here... I think the answers will be the same for Russia....

You can own property.

You can have a bank account and wire money into it. My bank charges $5 per wire plus 1%. I have wired enough money into my bank here to buy property, but I have not tried to take money out of the country. I have read where there may be problems with trying to wire large amounts of money out. In Ukraine they are talking about passing a law to heavily tax any profit foreigners make on real estate here... may be the same for Russia, not sure.

My friends drive here with their US driver's license and an "international driver's license." It isn't a driver's license, but a translation of your driver's license into other languages.

If you are moving in 2 or 3 years, you should be done with AOS. If you move to Russia before your wife is an American citizen, then she will need to return to the States once a year to keep her greencard. I would suggest waiting until she is an American (3 years) and then moving. If not, I am not sure when she would be eligible to become a citizen and you risk her losing her greencard.

I live off of money from the States and only pay American taxes. You aren't earning the money in Russia, so the government has no way to tax you.

Not sure about Russian temp resident or permanent resident, but I know that I have seen how to become a Ukrainian permanent resident on the US Embassy website for Kyiv. You could try looking at the US Embassy website for Russia and see if it is listed there.

I am not sure, but I think America doesn't allow you to have Dual Citizenship with Russia.... if I were you, I would hate to do anything to endanger my American citizenship.

Last piece of advice for you.... think really carefully about moving to this part of the world. I don't know how much time you have spent in Russia, but I can tell you that there is cheating, lying and stealing at every level of society. I am probably cheated at least 3 or 4 times a week. I wouldn't suggest trying to open a business here or anything unless you want to deal with paying off a lot of people and even risk losing your life! I am a missionary here, but other than that I would not live here!

As a woman who looks very Ukrainian, I am able to blend in and fly under the radar, but I have one American friend (man) who was beaten and left for dead for nothing other than walking down the street. He spent two weeks in a hospital in America recovering and has lost hearing in one ear and his sense of smell!

Edited by Kharkov_Natalie

• Jan 2004 - Met Sergey in Kharkov Ukraine when I substituted for his English teacher
  • August 2006 - Sergey and I are reacquainted and begin dating
  • February 2007 - Sergey proposes
  • May 19 2007 - Sergey and I are married in Ukraine
  • Jan 16 2008 - Filed I-130 petition at Kyiv Embassy
  • Jan 31 2008 - I-130 Approved
  • Feb 18 2008 - Medical Appointment
  • Feb 21 2008 - Final Interview Date - Visa approved
  • Feb 25 2008 - Visa delivered!
  • April 24 2008 - Arrived in America
  • June 21 2008 - Our son is born (3 months early). We made it to America just in time!
  • Waiting to "Remove Conditions" in 2010

Removing Conditions

• Feb 17 2010 - Sent off I-751
  • Feb 22 2010 - Date of NOA1
  • Mar 26 2010 - Date of Bio
  • May 10 2010 - Approved
  • June 2 2010 - Received Card in the mail

Timeline

I am aware of the risks living in Russia. Fortunetly Vladimir is a pretty quiet city with minimal crime. I certainly would not wire all my money to Russia, only as I need it. I am aware of the business practices here and would never open a business here or probably even get a job here. So far, my experience has been great with the Russian people. I have had no problems with any Russian that knew I was American. The experience your friend had was probably a isolated incident and could happen anywhere in the US. I personally think America is much more dangerous than Russia. Thanks for the advice!!

Met Dec. 4 2006

Engaged Jan. 24

2nd visit - March 12 -27

INTERVIEW 8/22

July 3rd-Recieved Packet

10/26 Married!

1/15/08 Sent I-485

2/26 NOA

3/29 Received EAD Card

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey, can't answer all, but trying to help :innocent:

3. You may not have to go to driving school, but you will have to take a driving exam and get either Russian license or some supplementary to your US driver's license. I am Russian with only US driver's license - and not allowed to drive in my own country :no:

Given Russian realities, your SO will probably find someone who will get you whatever paper is needed for some moola and no exam :lol:

4. No taxes for you. And if you get a job in Russia (see if there are any US companies around - they will hire you and they are safe) - taxes will be taken out automatically. No worries.

6. You don't need to marry in Russia again, they should recognize your US marriage provided a translation of marriage certificate. But, I know for sure, to become a Russian citizen, you have to renounce all other citizenships you have :no:

I suspect that buying a property may be enough to get you residentship, but I am not completely positive. Let us know when you find out, I would like to know as well!

As for that "isolated" incident of someone beaten up - Russia has a long standing tradition of treating foreigners better than our own kind. There are two caviats: not many Russians left in Moscow - hence it is a dangerous city now (I suspect those were not Russians beating up that person in Ukraine); if you are buying goods/doing business/fixing your car - you will be cheated. But so any other (local) person would be. :lol:

Good luck with that, you brave soul!

Rika

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

OK,

found something for you, hopeful info on driving :)

http://vladivostok.usconsulate.gov/wwwhacsdriving.html

See, you have more rights than me :lol:

Rika

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I lived in Moscow for about 7 months. You don't have to go to a Russian driving school......all you'd need is an international drivers permit and your US drivers license. To get an international drivers permit, go to any AAA Location, bring your U.S. driver's license, two photos, fill out an application, pay $15-$20 and they'd issue you a permit valid for 1 year.

Does anyone know for sure about dual-citizenship?

Also, Russia doesn't recognize a marriage done in the U.S., right?

So, if we (as a USC married to a RFC) were to move to Russia, would we have to get married there and would it be possible to become a citizen of Russia? (And would I have to guard Russian aircraft for two years to fulfill my "duty" to the Motherland?)

Facts, laws..... conjectures, anyone?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Does anyone know for sure about dual-citizenship?

Also, Russia doesn't recognize a marriage done in the U.S., right?

So, if we (as a USC married to a RFC) were to move to Russia, would we have to get married there and would it be possible to become a citizen of Russia? (And would I have to guard Russian aircraft for two years to fulfill my "duty" to the Motherland?)

Facts, laws..... conjectures, anyone?

By international treaty - The Hauge Convention of Celebration and Recognition of the Validity of Marriages, of which I believe Russia is a signer, states must recognize foreign marriages which are otherwise valid in the location where they took place. So yes, you are already married in Russia too. You would need to register this with ZAGS, which will probably require an appostille for your marriage certificate.

Americans can hold multiple citizenships. When you become a USC, you must renounce all other citizenships. After you renounce them, there is nothing to prevent you from asking for them back. Some countries (Russia) do not allow you to renounce citizenship.

You may (unlikely though) lose American citizenship by becoming a national of a foreign state. Also, by joining a foreign military, serving in a foriegn government, and perhaps by being a war criminal. Even if you somehow do lose American citizenship, your debt to the IRS every year is yours for life.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
The experience your friend had was probably a isolated incident and could happen anywhere in the US. I personally think America is much more dangerous than Russia. Thanks for the advice!!

Yes, you're right.

I want to live in Russia too, Saint Petersburg, to be more precise. But it's not gonna happen for a while... :(

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Timeline
I live in Eastern Ukraine and I can tell you about my experience here... I think the answers will be the same for Russia....

What makes you think so? It's a different country.

Yes.

Yes, you can. No, not difficult, but it depends on how much you're planning to wire.

No, but you will need to take a driving test to get a Russian DL.

No.

It doesn't matter where you marry.

No, people in Russia are not all cheaters and liars and all that.

As long as you don't live in Chechnya, you should be fine. Good luck.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Timeline
I think the answer is yes to buildings and maybe to land. Here are my sources:

"Although few expatriates buy residential homes in Russia, there are no restrictions on the purchase of property by foreigners. Property in Russia currently represents a good investment as house prices are rising rapidly and there are currently many properties for sale. Prices in Moscow trebled between 2002 and 2005, although the rate of increase has recently slowed a little.

In Moscow prices for the types of apartments and houses bought by foreigners range from around US$150,000 to US$500,000. Properties can be rented out for a return of around 9-11%, plus capital growth.

The mortgage market is only just opening up, and is expected to boost house prices even further. Much cheaper properties can be bought outside Moscow, including St Petersburg. It is possible to buy a house in a country village for little more than $1,000."

In Russia property transaction costs such as registration of the contract are usually covered by the buyer, but these rarely exceed US5,000. In addition, property agents normally charge the buyer 2-4% of the purchase price. Non-residents are required to pay a tax of 30% of the sale price on selling the property.

http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-russia-buying-property

"As we already mentioned, even if this bill becomes a law, some restrictions will apply to the right of foreigners to buy arable land."

http://www.ired.com/news/mkt/ru-foreigners.htm (old article)

Yes, based on personal experience this can be done. I only did it for fun to see if I could earn 13% interest on my $100. Turns out you can! Or whatever the crazy bank rate was in 2004. Although we have only wired money from Russia, I can't imagine why it can't be done. The tax authorities will be more interested in this rather than the banks. Keep in mind you are probably going to spend $25 or so in fees at both banks for each transaction regardless of amount transferred.
Probably not. Others have provided excellent answers.
I lived in Moscow for about 7 months. You don't have to go to a Russian driving school......all you'd need is an international drivers permit and your US drivers license. To get an international drivers permit, go to any AAA Location, bring your U.S. driver's license, two photos, fill out an application, pay $15-$20 and they'd issue you a permit valid for 1 year.
This will have a huge effect on her AOS. Leaving the country for more than a year and even playing the trick of returning once every year and going right back will look like she has abandoned her residence in the US and may be denied entry upon return.

See my discussion with Yodrak on the topic, although I think he doesn't understand what seeking admission means. An LPR does not seek admission.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry575179

5. Will I have to pay capital gains taxes in Russia along with my taxes in the US?
Look to the Internal Revenue Code for your answer. I believe income under 88k earned abroad does not get taxed by US authorities. And since all you are doing is stock trading I imagine you'll pay your regular US capital gains tax on that, and the question of paying a Russian tax on that transaction depends on what their tax code says. Since trading stock will become your trade or business I imagine it might get taxed as income and if done in Russia perhaps under their capital gains tax as well. I am no expert in this area, although there are plenty of good books on our tax code and Russian tax code and applicable treaties that might answer this question down in the law library.
6. Will we need to marry in Russia also to get my temporary residences visa, then permanent residence?. (If anyone can shed some light on this whole subject and process it would be greatly appreciated.)
Here are some long answers enjoy:

"Temporary & Permanent Residents:

Note: December 2003 - Russian Nationality Rules Ease (Talk Lounge Russia Forums on waytorussia.net).

To become a permanent resident, a foreign citizen should become a temporary resident first. One can become a temporary resident, only if invited by a private person to Russian Federation (private invitation).

The private invitation can be made in the local immigration office (OVIR), at the place where the person, who is inviting you permanently lives. The person who invites you, should fill in a special application form in OVIR and submit it along with a copy of your (the invited person's) passport, and a paid bank transfer. (Note, there are huge queues in OVIRs). It will take about 1 month or longer for OVIR to process this information, and after it is done, a "private invitation" will be issued. This invitation should be posted (not faxed - originals are required by the embassies!) to the person who's invited. Then the person who is invited should submit this invitation, along with the invitation, passport, photos, and other documents required to the Russian embassy, and his private visa will be issued.

The private visa can be valid for a period not longer than 3 months (the exact period is specified in the invitation), and is single-entry only.

After you arrived to Russia with such "private" visa, you should register at the place of residence of the person who invited you. For that there needs to be a proof that this person has the rights for this apartment (obtained in a local housing office), and a notarized letter, where the person states he/she doesn't mind you living in his apartment for a specific period of time (the form is standard - every notary knows it).

After you're registered, if you still want to become a temporary resident, you need to get a pile of documents. The requirements change all the time, so it's better to get an up-to-date list from OVIR. Generally, a foreign citizen will need his passport, private visa, information confirming the place of work / study, information that confirms the place of residence (should be issued by prefecture), information confirming a certain income, medical insurance. The Russian person, who is inviting the foreigner, should confirm the rights for the apartment, bring in all the same documents, confirming place of work / study, income, medical insurance etc. It's better to use a specialized agency's services to file all the documents before submitting them to OVIR. These agencies will not gather the documents for you, however, they know how to submit the documents that OVIR officials like it.

If everything is ok, you'll get the answer in about 1 to 3 months time.

However, the temporary residence is quite limited: a foreign citizen will have certain rights, and be able to enter Russian Federation, but in order to leave Russia, he/she will have to get a special "exit" visa from OVIR every time (it takes 2 to 4 weeks to get it)! So, imagine, you need to leave Russia fast, you can't do it, because you have to apply (queues), and then wait, and only then get a single-exit visa.

In other words, this process is not worth going through at the moment, unless you really need a temporary Russian residence. The rules are not easier for spouses as well...

The only good thing is that the rules may change soon, and become easier. We will monitor the situation, and as soon as there's a significant change, we'll update information in this section."

http://www.waytorussia.net/RussianVisa/Status.html

"Here are the new regulations that concern foreigners living in Russia (or foreigners, NOT from former CIS countries, who want to get Russian citizenship):

1. If a foreign citizen has been married to a Russian person for not less than 3 years AND is living in Russia at the moment, then he / she can get Russian citizenship through a simplified procedure. That is, there's no need to have a minimal period of consecutive stay in Russia after which you can apply for the Russian nationality.

If you are married to a Russian person for less than 3 years, then you don't have any advantages compared to anybody else. You will still need to present (1) a proof that you has been living in Russia for the last 5 years and stayed in Russia not less than 75% of all this time; (2) proof of sufficient income; (3) proof that you know Russian language; (4) permit of stay.

2. If a foreign citizen has at least one parent who has Russian citizenship and is living in Russia at the moment, the same simplified rules as described above apply (no need for minimum period of stay).

If you want to use these rules, you should apply before 1 January 2006. Also, note, that to apply for Russian citizenship under these new rules, you still need to get a permit of stay. The permit of stay can be obtained only if you arrived to Russia on a private visa (made after the private invitation). To ease everything up it is better to ask your wife (or parents) to make the personal invitation for you. This process is quite long and hard, and the permit of stay is a very inflexible document (e.g. you'll need to get an "exit visa" every time you leave Russia). However, if you are after Russian citizenship and you are OK staying in Russia most of the time, then these new rules will be good news for you.

Please, note, that the law will be implemented on 16 December 2003, and it might take some time for the Russian immigration officials to "accept" it.

Also, most of the new rules were made to ease the process of getting citizenship for the citizens of former CIS countries, and there can be unclear interpretations of some things written in the law by officials.

http://waytorussia.net/TalkLounge/conversation457.html

Timeline
No, people in Russia are not all cheaters and liars and all that.
if you are buying goods/doing business/fixing your car - you will be cheated. But so any other (local) person would be. :lol:
Exactly, great counter to Jewel12's response. And fine business men end up dead all the time for not wanting to share with the crooks. And for regular people, why does everyone in Russia have to mess with the scales at the bazaar? Just raise the damn price if you want more for your meat but sell me exactly how much I see on the scale!
See the links in the previous post. They talk about military service as well. Only if you are between the ages of 18-27 will you be forced into compulsory military service. And no body is dying to join the military in Russia. People bribe and pay their way out as best possible. The deaths from all the hazing events is incredible. People try to get off by "being physically or mentally" unfit as well.
By international treaty - The Hauge Convention of Celebration and Recognition of the Validity of Marriages, of which I believe Russia is a signer, states must recognize foreign marriages which are otherwise valid in the location where they took place. So yes, you are already married in Russia too. You would need to register this with ZAGS, which will probably require an appostille for your marriage certificate.
And a certification by the consulate in the US. Otherwise you are right back to unrecognized marriage.
You may (unlikely though) lose American citizenship by becoming a national of a foreign state.
The problem with becoming a Russian citizen is that you must bring an official paper saying you have given up all current citizenships. See instructions for simplified Russian citizenship below. I am not sure if this rule applies if you do the registration / marriage style of obtaining citizenship in Russia itself. It may not. It does if you try to get Russian citizenship through a consulate here in the states.

"7. Иностранные граждане также представляют документ полномочного органа иностранного государства, подтверждающий обращение заявителя об отказе от имеющегося иного гражданства"

http://www.consulrussia.org/citizen.htm#...;ый

Filed: Country: India
Timeline
Americans can hold multiple citizenships. When you become a USC, you must renounce all other citizenships. After you renounce them, there is nothing to prevent you from asking for them back. Some countries (Russia) do not allow you to renounce citizenship.

You may (unlikely though) lose American citizenship by becoming a national of a foreign state. Also, by joining a foreign military, serving in a foriegn government, and perhaps by being a war criminal. Even if you somehow do lose American citizenship, your debt to the IRS every year is yours for life.

How does one really renounce their all other citizenships after becoming US citizen?

Stop using other passports? return passports to respective consulates in US and get

'Cancelled' stamped on them? anything else?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.