Marriednow

MENA RELATIONSHIPS

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Dgintenn, I'm not picking on you here but this statement reminded me of a conversation I had with a gf of mine recently. I have a friend who is married to an Egyptian (not from VJ). She mentioned once that she was afraid the young girls in her town would be after him and he wouldn't be able to resist. This causes her a lot of grief. She and her husband are about the same age (she's my age). I have noticed several comments on this forum about this very thing....my SO is so handsome the younger women will be after him, etc. My question is, how can one be with a man who they're always afraid will run off with someone younger? Doesn't that cause too much stress? Sure men of any age/race/ethnicity could potentially run off with a younger or older woman. But it this idea it bothersome because of the particular person you're with, how do you handle it? Again, not speaking specifically to Debbie, I'm speaking to those who have this "insecure" feeling that the young girls will be after their man. Not trying to stir up anything either. Please don't take it this way. Just curious.
Then I worry about the younger women chasing him. So it becomes a vicious cycle. But I get back on here and try to get my sanity back. Thanks for the support. Debbie

my best friend met a guy abroad also...although they are similar in age (and young). but she is very insecure about what will happen once he comes to the US and is around lots of beautiful girls. i always try to reassure her that he will be coming for HER, but finding help for your insecurities comes from within. if he can't make her feel secure about their love, who can?

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

I've never been worried that my husband would find other women in the US attractive and leave me for them. Actually, the thought never even crossed my mind until I read this post. I guess I would have been worried about our relationship if that was an issue and wouldn't have filed the visa in the first place. Not picking on anyone, that's just my personaly opinion...

Before we left to visit his family in Algeria my parents (and some extended family) were worried about my safety - but then again, so was I. They didn't want me to go, even though they had been right next door in Morocco the year before. I think it had a lot to do with the terrorism that plagued Algeria when they were children. I think that image is set in their heads. Of course everything ended up being fine, but with all the bombings in Algeria lately I don't think I would go again any time soon... I'd like to wait for it to calm down a bit. That being said, I do think my family/friends would have had a MUCH bigger problem with my husband if I had met him on the internet or if he was still unemployed here (he's been here since November) and I was supporting him. The fact that we met when I was in France and he came here and had a job within a month and a half have made a BIG difference (in my opinion).

Everyone that my husband has met in the US has been nothing but nice to him. My family and friends welcomed him with open arms and everyone at his job loves him. His employer knows that he just came from Algeria and they have been wonderful to him. He was employee of the month in April and was chosen as employee of the quarter this past weekend and won a iPod shuffle and a weeks paid vacation!! He is 1/2 italian and he looks very much italian, perhaps this has something to do with the way people treat him - would people on the street treat him differently if they knew where he was from? Maybe...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Just wondered, what prejudices have you experienced (or not) from family, friends, or the public, regarding:

Age Differences?

Race Differences?

Cultural Differences?

Religious Differences?

In the USA or in your SO's country?

Thanks, just interested in how you handle these things. Debbie (and Hamid)

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT. I HAVE DECIDED TO SAY SCREW ANYBODY'S OPINION AND JUST TRY TO LET IT GO AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. You can tell I am a control freak--lol. Hamid is the nicest guy I have met, no matter what our differences. So.....I'm just hoping to hear from CA soon--been like 93 days now.

Just wondered, what prejudices have you experienced (or not) from family, friends, or the public, regarding:

Age Differences?

Race Differences?

Cultural Differences?

Religious Differences?

In the USA or in your SO's country?

Thanks, just interested in how you handle these things. Debbie (and Hamid)

PS--Also just wanted to add that Hamid has NEVER given me any reason to doubt him or be jealous, so I am very lucky in that regard. As he says, I don't give my time to other women. :P

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT. I HAVE DECIDED TO SAY SCREW ANYBODY'S OPINION AND JUST TRY TO LET IT GO AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. You can tell I am a control freak--lol. Hamid is the nicest guy I have met, no matter what our differences. So.....I'm just hoping to hear from CA soon--been like 93 days now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.