TimsDaisy

Those with a visa, please step forward

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
Slight update - probably nothing.

So I called DOS again today because it makes me feel proactive and figured, what the heck, worst it says is the same it says yesterday. I got the guy that Tiffany refers to as "Good Luck" - he's the nicest chap there I think, I almost said, "Tiff says hello!" ;) The conversation went something like this:

Me: Just calling to check on status, case # xxxx, name

Good Luck Guy: let me see here [type type type]

GLG: That visa is still processing.

Me: "Processing?"

GLG: Yes, still being processed.

Me: Okay. I called yesterday and the woman I spoke with said the computer indicated the embassy requested additional security checks. Is that what "processing" means? Like, did she infer the checks from it still being processing?

GLG: Well, I'm not sure.

Me: Could the computer say "additional security checks" as well as "processing?" Like, is that a separate possible item?

GLG: Yes, it could say either, that is something that could be listed.

Me: Hmmm. Any idea what processing means, timewise?

GLG: No, there's no way for us to tell.

Me: Well, just trying to figure out what's going on. Thanks!

GLG: Good luck!

Me: Thanks so much for your help, bye.

So that means . . . . uh. Nothing? Who knows.

How many prints did they take from Tim? Thumb and index finger or all 10?

He reports "all on both hands."

All 10?

Then he is being checked for his overstay. For an ordinary visa issuance with no 'problems' they only take index and thumb.

This is CYA procedure for the consulate. It could take a few days - it could take a few weeks.

Edited by rebeccajo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Daisy,

Did he travel after the date that your petition left the NVC?

Yodrak

So, just to keep adding to the info trust that is VJ, thought I'd provide an update.

Yeah, they told Tim he was sorted, but when I called DOS today, hoping to hear "visa issued" or just "visa approved" as I'd expected (trying to guess delivery dates, didn't want to buy a ticket too soon if the visa/passport was going to be slow in turning up).

Instead, I was told that the embassy had requested additional security checks (something to that effect, though I do know she didn't say "administrative review."). I said, okay, so how long does that normally take. She said she didn't know but the latest update she had was that it takes between 2 and 4 months.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

RJ - I recalled that being a possibility when we PM-ed on the subject. I told Tim about that too. Don't know if what they are talking about is the same thing or not.

edit: Tim says: " the fingerprint scanners had pictorial instructions on top showing how to scan all fingers and lights that lit up in sequence to indicate when to put the next hand on etc Don't think they do 'just thumbs' or whatever." [i note: of course there's no way of knowing if the whip out a different scanner or use a different window if they need a particular form of scanner, or use different instructions, etc for his sort of cases. I know he certainly isn't the only one with past overstay issues.]

Yodrak - yes, he did travel. We were together in Montreal during the time the petition would've been in transit from - I think - NVC to London. And he would've Just arrived back in England about the same day as the Embassy mailed packet 3 out.

Edited by TimsDaisy

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

The normal print collection is thumb and forefinger and it is done at the window. I was there in London - I saw it and it's widely reported on here.

I said above this is being done because of the overstay but I meant to say because of his turnback. I've seen this very same scenario through London and Dublin on numerous occasions. It is not out of the ordinary other than in this case it's happening after the interview.

Armchair quarterbacking, my guess is that had his interview date not been advanced, he would have been called into the consulate in advance of the interview for 10 prints. The original date you were given was most likely placed on their calendar to allow for all administrative procedures to take place and all checks to clear prior to an interview.

I've seen a lawyer note that he'd had incidents with clients who traveled after the FBI checks for the State Department (which are ordered by the NVC when the petition arrives there) were completed. Because of the travel the consulate wanted the checks repeated, delaying the issuance of the visa, so his recommendation to his clients is that once the petition leaves the NVC, stay home.

Maybe that is the cause here, or maybe the results of the initial check just weren't back prior to the interview. It used to be that if the consulate didn't have the report from the FBI in 30 days they could issue the visa. Since 9/11 they are required to wait for the report.

You don't mention anything like this, but I've personally seen a case where the transliteration of the name on a translated birth certificate was different from the transliteration of the name on the passport. By one letter. Only 1 version of the name had been used on the forms submitted. When the interviewing officer spotted the alternate spelling he ordered a new security check on the previously unrevealed version of the name, delaying issuance of the visa by several weeks.

Yodrak

RJ - I recalled that being a possibility when we PM-ed on the subject. I told Tim about that too. Don't know if what they are talking about is the same thing or not.

edit: Tim says: " the fingerprint scanners had pictorial instructions on top showing how to scan all fingers and lights that lit up in sequence to indicate when to put the next hand on etc Don't think they do 'just thumbs' or whatever." [i note: of course there's no way of knowing if the whip out a different scanner or use a different window if they need a particular form of scanner, or use different instructions, etc for his sort of cases. I know he certainly isn't the only one with past overstay issues.]

Yodrak - yes, he did travel. We were together in Montreal during the time the petition would've been in transit from - I think - NVC to London. And he would've Just arrived back in England about the same day as the Embassy mailed packet 3 out.

Edited by Yodrak

Timeline
The normal print collection is thumb and forefinger and it is done at the window. I was there in London - I saw it and it's widely reported on here.

I said above this is being done because of the overstay but I meant to say because of his turnback. I've seen this very same scenario through London and Dublin on numerous occasions. It is not out of the ordinary other than in this case it's happening after the interview.

Armchair quarterbacking, my guess is that had his interview date not been advanced, he would have been called into the consulate in advance of the interview for 10 prints. The original date you were given was most likely placed on their calendar to allow for all administrative procedures to take place and all checks to clear prior to an interview.

When he was "removed," they took his prints at SFO, if that's part of what you mean. I've never seen people here talk about being called in beforehand - but maybe I missed it or it was discussed before I joined. Nothing was mentioned in his original packet 4/interview date letter about a pre-visit.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

Timeline
I've seen a lawyer note that he'd had incidents with clients who traveled after the FBI checks for the State Department (which are ordered by the NVC when the petition arrives there) were completed. Because of the travel the consulate wanted the checks repeated, delaying the issuance of the visa, so his recommendation to his clients is that once the petition leaves the NVC, stay home.

Maybe that is the cause here, or maybe the results of the initial check just weren't back prior to the interview. It used to be that if the consulate didn't have the report from the FBI in 30 days they could issue the visa. Since 9/11 they are required to wait for the report.

Yodrak

Yes, that makes sense too.

We're thinking as well that the sped up interview date could likely just mean that something didn't get sent for at the right time because Embassy staff, rightfully, thought they had longer to get it done. Which should mean that resolving the situation won't take *too* long. But of course, there's no evidence supporting any of our theories so far!

I still hope for some sort of answer or helpful bit of info from the congressional staffer. And I'll probably call DOS again tomorrow just to see if the description of where we are in the process has changed.

I'm in perma-shrug mode right now. My current mantra is "I dunno."

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

Handy numbers:

When he was "removed," they took his prints at SFO, if that's part of what you mean. I've never seen people here talk about being called in beforehand - but maybe I missed it or it was discussed before I joined. Nothing was mentioned in his original packet 4/interview date letter about a pre-visit.

The reports I have read of being called to the consulate in advance were prior to you joining, Daisy.

And I have never known of this to be disclosed in Packet 3 or 4. It's not standard procedure so it would be pointless to alarm applicants about something that probably won't involve them.

If the situation applies to an applicant, the consulate will inform the beneficiary.

What I mean about the prints is that normally for London to issue a visa, if there is no other 'cover their butt' procedures they must do, then only the thumb and index finger prints are collected.

If there is something else that needs addressed, they collect all 10 prints.

I would also add you are probably now at the point where calling DOS will become a frustration. This was discussed by lal_brandow in a previous recent thread. She explains it much better than I and perhaps she will come to thread for enlightment.

Edited by rebeccajo

Timeline

The reports I have read of being called to the consulate in advance were prior to you joining, Daisy.

And I have never known of this to be disclosed in Packet 3 or 4. It's not standard procedure so it would be pointless to alarm applicants about something that probably won't involve them.

If the situation applies to an applicant, the consulate will inform the beneficiary.

What I mean about the prints is that normally for London to issue a visa, if there is no other 'cover their butt' procedures they must do, then only the thumb and index finger prints are collected.

If there is something else that needs addressed, they collect all 10 prints.

I would also add you are probably now at the point where calling DOS will become a frustration. This was discussed by lal_brandow in a previous recent thread. She explains it much better than I and perhaps she will come to thread for enlightment.

Right - about the packets and info, etc.

Well, calling DOS today already yielded potentially new information. And as I mentioned in a really unfortunate thread way, way back, for me (and I don't recommend this for people who don't operate like me), calling doesn't frustrate me. It makes me feel proactive even when, of course, it absolute isn't pro"active" it's pro-passive since they just read me information.

That's just for me. Others have said they get stressed hearing no news or no change, or something that isn't forward movement. My mind works differently.

So before we let this thread go down a path that discusses the calling vs. non-calling discussion (I think we know neither of us will change our minds on this) let's agree to disagree.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

Handy numbers:

FWIW, Chas had all 10 of his fingerprints taken too. Took them first thing, then again at the end (basically to verify that he was still the same person?).

I think that's standard operating procedure now.

SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline
FWIW, Chas had all 10 of his fingerprints taken too. Took them first thing, then again at the end (basically to verify that he was still the same person?).

I think the government loves fingerprinting. Seems like its getting to be required for practically anything.

And then we all get to do it again when they get here! Hooray!

At the rate technology changes, I suppose it wouldn't be surprising that they've changed the way the take that sort of data.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

Handy numbers:

I think the government loves fingerprinting. Seems like its getting to be required for practically anything.

And then we all get to do it again when they get here! Hooray!

At the rate technology changes, I suppose it wouldn't be surprising that they've changed the way the take that sort of data.

Sorry nothing much new of any use to add except to say that I had all 10 fingerprints taken at my interview last week, and from what I could see so did pretty much everyone else who was being interviewed that day .

Anyway the best of luck for a timely resolution.

Sarah

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Seems unlikely. How would they even know if I traveled anywhere? Most countries (U.S. excluded) don't stamp your passport.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Seems unlikely. How would they even know if I traveled anywhere? Most countries (U.S. excluded) don't stamp your passport.

Not when I've travelled. I've been stamped every time (about 20 countries) - except once in France, and every time in Canada & Mexico.

Ten prints must be new then. Something else I learned today.

Some of you recall the member gimygirl. I believe it was her fiance' Geoff who was called into the consulate in advance of his interview to give 10 fingerprints. Geoff also had a turnback. But, that was two years ago. I should realize by now that things do change.

You know, it'd be really nice to think that the name clearance DOS does could be used by USCIS at AOS. It'd sure speed things up stateside. Taking 10 prints instead of two would help facilitate the transfer of DOS data to USCIS.

When we were interviewed for AOS, our adjudicating officer told us that USCIS doesn't use DOS's security check because they believe NOT doing so creates a 'checks and balance' system. Maybe they are starting to figure out that's a bit redundant?

One can only hope.

Edited by rebeccajo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.