sereia

waiting it out...for AP

AP, to wait, or not to wait???  

32 members have voted

1. 1. if you had the chance to go wait it out with your fiance in his/her country for AP to finish, would you go?

• Yes! If I had nothing holding me here in the US I'd book it right now!
    • No, they could get the visa at any moment.

30 posts in this topic

I would have stayed over there with him for the whole visa process if I could have, but we didn't have a cosponsor, so I needed to have a job for the affidavit of support.

I think you should go. Will you be able to get a job quick when you get back so that you're all set for AOS and the I-864?

i do not have a co-sponsor but i am pretty confident i can get ANY job when we get back pretty quickly. i'm confused about the requirements though. i know the poverty level, etc...but do i have to show a steady job period for x amount of time? or just on my taxes that i've made over such amount? cuz for this year i've already made well above the poverty level (before my job ended last month) even though i am without a job now.

help!

Well, I voted yes. Even though neither of the options apply to me. I have been here since our marriage and I am not sure about the requirements in Morocco, but we were rejected at our interview because I didn't have current employment. I met the requirements for the past 3 tax years, but the interview was all about me living in Egypt since November and not having any continuing income. It seems like they are more worried about your current employment than anything else. I would check into the specifics about the income requirements, and definitely try to find a cosponsor as a backup.

Sooooooo.......we are in the middle of getting a cosponsor right now. It's not as easy as I thought it would be. My family is all for helping us, but most of them don't qualify (too many kids, dependents, etc.). Our visa problem is a whole different kind of stress. We are not separated, but we still have a black cloud over us right now.

If I can't find a cosponsor who qualifies, I will have to go back to USA without my husband to get a job. That is the one thing I never wanted to do. And even if I stay here, it is disheartening to think that I may have to wait one or two years (thanks a lot Cairo Embassy!) to see my nieces again. (they are growing so fast- my niece bawls on the webcam every time she sees me- it's hard)

Good Luck to everyone.

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish,

but others' beliefs do not concern you. - Wafa Sultan

qualitydisplaya1.gif11573404S-1-vi.gifdontbelieve-mufkin.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.lazyenvironmentalist.com

www.freerice.com

glitteryourway-a2b509eb.gif

where would i check this? should i call uscis?

That sounds good. Send an email or call the embassy. While you are in AP/AR, I don't think it makes much of a difference about your job. It made a difference for us because it is required to issue the visa. We still have AP/AR to look forward to. :crying:

Not all countries have to have the affidavit in order to issue the visa. But, I believe it's required for Adjusting Status. As long as when you go to adjust status you have had a good job for about 6mos-1year, you should be fine. With a letter from your employer and past tax returns, they will be able to make a decision. Our interviewer said he was making an overall analysis based not just on my previous employment, but on what we would do when we got to the US.

I would tell you to take the chance. Because it's definitely worth getting to know your SO in his country! I know there will be consequences when I get back to the states (re:job instability, outdated references, etc) but I have loved it. It might be worth checking into. :)

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish,

but others' beliefs do not concern you. - Wafa Sultan

qualitydisplaya1.gif11573404S-1-vi.gifdontbelieve-mufkin.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.lazyenvironmentalist.com

www.freerice.com

glitteryourway-a2b509eb.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
If I didn't have kids I would have moved there. lol. We wouldn't even have needed to pay the US for a stupid visa.

Ditto! :yes:

Our AOS Journey

July 18, 07: AOS/EAD sent to Chicago

Aug 03, 07: Received Biometrics appt. letter

Aug 23, 07: Biometrics

Aug 30, 07: Transfer to CSC letter dated 8/27

Sept 19, 07: EAD Approval email

Sept 29, 07: EAD card Received

Oct 09, 07: AOS Approved

Oct 13, 07: Green Card in hand

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
where would i check this? should i call uscis?

That sounds good. Send an email or call the embassy. While you are in AP/AR, I don't think it makes much of a difference about your job. It made a difference for us because it is required to issue the visa. We still have AP/AR to look forward to. :crying:

Not all countries have to have the affidavit in order to issue the visa. But, I believe it's required for Adjusting Status. As long as when you go to adjust status you have had a good job for about 6mos-1year, you should be fine. With a letter from your employer and past tax returns, they will be able to make a decision. Our interviewer said he was making an overall analysis based not just on my previous employment, but on what we would do when we got to the US.

I would tell you to take the chance. Because it's definitely worth getting to know your SO in his country! I know there will be consequences when I get back to the states (re:job instability, outdated references, etc) but I have loved it. It might be worth checking into. :)

the affidavit of support is not required to issue a visa in morocco.... but for AOS if you say i have to show i've had a job for 6mo-1 year then that would be a problem!!! well, i'll stop worrying and call USCIS tomorrow morning. but i hope someone can reply and give me some ideas as well.

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
the affidavit of support is not required to issue a visa in morocco.... but for AOS if you say i have to show i've had a job for 6mo-1 year then that would be a problem!!! well, i'll stop worrying and call USCIS tomorrow morning. but i hope someone can reply and give me some ideas as well.

AFAIK, you only have to have the job at the time you file, not for a certain period of time prior to filing. I switched jobs 2 months before filing the I-864 and we had no problems.

As long as you know you can get something quickly, you should be fine. You do have a bit of leeway in filing the AOS, as long as you're married within the 90 days.

For AOS I sent in 3 years of my tax information and 6 months of pay advices. There is no set requirement that you need to earn x amount in a certain time period. USCIS could care less if you earn enough money to meet the poverly level in one day then takeoff 364 days a year.

If you take off now for Morocco, and do not work all year (worse case scenario- the visa takes 6 months) , do you currently have an income about the 125% of the poverly level for 2 people? If not you could not be able to meet the qualifications for this year and would need a co-sponsor.

For AOS I sent in 3 years of my tax information and 6 months of pay advices. There is no set requirement that you need to earn x amount in a certain time period. USCIS could care less if you earn enough money to meet the poverly level in one day then takeoff 364 days a year.

If you take off now for Morocco, and do not work all year (worse case scenario- the visa takes 6 months) , do you currently have an income about the 125% of the poverly level for 2 people? If not you could not be able to meet the qualifications for this year and would need a co-sponsor.

ETA_ of course as kenn said you do need to be employeed at the time of filing with a job that also meets the income requirements.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Timeline
what do you think? i'm seriously considering going ASAP to go wait with him. do you think it would be stupid to go when he could get the visa at any moment? would you risk it if you had nothing to lose (other than the cost of the plane ticket)

I think maybe if you can go - go. I think the reason for our denial was the fact I did not go back to PK. granted I am a student and graduating this weekend. I think that proble hurt our case. I dont know.

shon.gif

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
For AOS I sent in 3 years of my tax information and 6 months of pay advices. There is no set requirement that you need to earn x amount in a certain time period. USCIS could care less if you earn enough money to meet the poverly level in one day then takeoff 364 days a year. .

i could definitely send in 3 years of tax info but obviously not the 6 months of pay advices. if i come back, get a job quickly, and send the AOS paperwork say, 2 months later... it would only be a few. i do also have stock portfolios and such...

i do not currently have any income and wouldn't have any the entire time i would be living in morocco. (ugh no worst case scenario please!!!) . i'm living off of savings. but in 2007 i have already made over the poverty level for 2 people. and like i mentioned above, stocks/bonds, etc.

:help:

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

I am a student and graduating this weekend.

Congratulations Shon!!! That's a great achievement!!!

Sorry it might have hurt your case though :(

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Myself, I would go. You never know when you will have the time for that kinda of travel again in the future.

I voted yes, if not for my children and work, i would go to my SO in a heartbeat and wait it out...you do what feels right in your heart.....

“Hold on to the center and make up your mind to rejoice in this paradise called life.” ~ Lao-tzu

4374690_bodyshot_175x233_1205371236499.gif4572850_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
what do you think? i'm seriously considering going ASAP to go wait with him. do you think it would be stupid to go when he could get the visa at any moment? would you risk it if you had nothing to lose (other than the cost of the plane ticket)

SURE, go if you can. Debbie and Hamid

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I vote yes. If I could I would be by his side right now. But I have to many payments with the mortgage and car payments. Leaveing my job wouldn't worry me. It will always be there when i get back. But there is no way for me to make money in Egypt. They dont have tattoo shops. But i would love to be with my honey right now. Miss him badly :crying: So girl if u have the chance i say pack up and go.

Untitled.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.