SweetDefiance

Max stay in the US

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I want to double check that its ok for my fiance to be in the country with me for about 5 months as long as hes back before 6. Will this jeopordize our chances of getting the K-1 visa?? I'm really worried about that.

All he did to get here was cross the canadian border with his passport..we have no forms or anything.

We were married in Washington in August, we submitted our I-485, I130, I765, and I131 in Sept of 06 to the Chicago Lock Box, and got our Green card in January 07!!! Found this was much faster and easier than going through the K1 process.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If I'm not mistaken your fiance can cross the border and stay up to 180 days without paperwork. But must return or get a visitors visa if he plans on staying longer than the 180 days. Anyone else????

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
If I'm not mistaken your fiance can cross the border and stay up to 180 days without paperwork. But must return or get a visitors visa if he plans on staying longer than the 180 days. Anyone else????

Canadians are ineligible to get visitor visas as they are permitted to visit the US without a visa by treaty.

They can visit the US for up to 6 months (not 180 days, there is a difference). However, they cannot use this to keep on visiting the US, they need to prove that they are spending more time in their own country...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Canadians are ineligible to get visitor visas as they are permitted to visit the US without a visa by treaty.

They can visit the US for up to 6 months (not 180 days, there is a difference). However, they cannot use this to keep on visiting the US, they need to prove that they are spending more time in their own country...

NOBODY is permitted to visit the US without a visa.

Canadians are given implied B-1 or B-2 visitor visas every time we enter. It is very rarely stamped or entered in our passports, but that is the visa under which we enter as a tourist. If as a Canadian, you insisted on having your passport stamped when you entered the US, you would notice that they would write "B-1" or "B-2" on the stamp (depending on which one you were using - business or leisure).

Timeline

AHH!! This is the problem were having we can't find a straight answer and we don't want to ruin his chances of getting the visa.

I'd kick him back across now but i'm having a baby in 2 months and he and I both want him here for that.

Is there anyone i can call to find out for sure??

We were married in Washington in August, we submitted our I-485, I130, I765, and I131 in Sept of 06 to the Chicago Lock Box, and got our Green card in January 07!!! Found this was much faster and easier than going through the K1 process.

Timeline

Canadians are given implied B-1 or B-2 visitor visas every time we enter. It is very rarely stamped or entered in our passports, but that is the visa under which we enter as a tourist. If as a Canadian, you insisted on having your passport stamped when you entered the US, you would notice that they would write "B-1" or "B-2" on the stamp (depending on which one you were using - business or leisure).

I'm afraid that you are incorrect... It is not an implied B1 or B2 visa.. there is no visa. Canadian Citizens are given visitor status when the are admitted to the US, but they do not require a visa to be granted admittance. You should learn the difference between a visa and a status.

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

One more thing..sorry for all the questions. While everything is being processed, am I allowed to fly up and visit him in Canada once he goes back?? Or is that not allowed?

Timeline
One more thing..sorry for all the questions. While everything is being processed, am I allowed to fly up and visit him in Canada once he goes back?? Or is that not allowed?

Of course you can, unless you have a reason that Canada Customs would deny you entry.

I'm afraid that you are incorrect... It is not an implied B1 or B2 visa.. there is no visa. Canadian Citizens are given visitor status when the are admitted to the US, but they do not require a visa to be granted admittance. You should learn the difference between a visa and a status.

This is what I was told on numerous occasions by USCIS officers when travelling from Canada to the US. I also had an immigration attorney tell me the same thing. I have B-1 stamps in my passport:

pp.jpg

Timeline

Of course you can, unless you have a reason that Canada Customs would deny you entry.

This is what I was told on numerous occasions by USCIS officers when travelling from Canada to the US. I also had an immigration attorney tell me the same thing. I have B-1 stamps in my passport:

pp.jpg

Yes.. you were granted B1 or B2 status when you entered the US... but you did not require a visa to be able to apply for that status at the POE. A visa only allows you permission to apply for a status from CBP at the POE...

Every other country that is not Canada requires a visa to enter the US. Some countries have been permitted to have their citizens not require visas based on the Visa Waiver Program. While any country can conceiveably be taken off the VWP list (France is going through that now), Canadian Citizens will always be able to travel to the US visa free (and vice versa) as this right is established by a treaty between the two countries.

Timeline

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......can he stay for 5 months without having any stamp in his passport..just a wave through the border.

Timeline
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......can he stay for 5 months without having any stamp in his passport..just a wave through the border.

Yes. :)

pp.jpg

Yes.. you were granted B1 or B2 status when you entered the US... but you did not require a visa to be able to apply for that status at the POE. A visa only allows you permission to apply for a status from CBP at the POE...

Every other country that is not Canada requires a visa to enter the US. Some countries have been permitted to have their citizens not require visas based on the Visa Waiver Program. While any country can conceiveably be taken off the VWP list (France is going through that now), Canadian Citizens will always be able to travel to the US visa free (and vice versa) as this right is established by a treaty between the two countries.

Ah, I see what you mean. No visa was required in order to get the B-1 status.

Timeline

Yep.. he can stay in the US as a visitor for up to 6 months.

Timeline

Thank you both very much!!!

Timeline

However there are downsides to being in the US that long...

One is that he may have to pay US Income taxes another is that he could make himself ineligible for Canadian Health care..

Lots of things to look into...

Timeline

However there are downsides to being in the US that long...

One is that he may have to pay US Income taxes another is that he could make himself ineligible for Canadian Health care..

Lots of things to look into...

We arn't worried about that stuff, just worried he could get denied the visa for being here!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.