yellow123

income or tax

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My fiancee has been worrying that the Vietnam consulate won't be accepting a co-sponor because the I-134 is not binding under the K-1 visa and will be accepted or not case by case. I told my fiancee not to worry because I just graduated from college in December and will surely find a job that will make the required amount of income. I will then just sent in proof of my employment and hourly wages, and we'll be united. She told me that the previous year of tax is more valuable to the consulate and is just about the only thing they'll look at to determine if we meet the income requirement. She fears that she'll have to wait another year for me to file my taxes. So I want to ask for your opinions if she's right or am I right ? Thanks.

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent : 2005-10-04

I-129F NOA1 : 2005-10-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2005-11-15

case forwarded to HCMC : 2005-12-11

Pack 3: lost in the mail

Pack 3 picked up @ window: 2006-1-20

Pack 3 sent: 2006-2-10

Pack 4 received: 2006-3-23

Interview: 2006-4-13

K3 Interview: 2007-7-6

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Yellow and Matt, it seems we are all in the same boat. I'm currently living/working in HCMC, and we all know the salaries in Vietnam aren't near USA wages. I'll clear the poverty level for a household of two, but it won't be by much. For that reason I've also secured a co-sponsor (father). My previous years taxes showed minimal income because I was a student and finishing my degree.

What the fact of the matter is at this point is that our situation is what it is. We cannot change the US Consulate in HCMC. All we can control are the things under our control. The vision we are moving forward with is to be as prepared and organized as we can.

My guess to the touchiness of the non-binding issue of the I-134, is that they might often encounter co-sponsors that are friends, colleagues, etc. I believe it is the credibility of the I-134 that they might doubt. If it is non-binding, a friendship can dissolve and thus the co-sponsor is obselete at that point. However, Matt is using his mother and I'm using my father.

Just remember that each petitioner and visa application is unique in its own situation. Therefore the consular officer will make the decision during the interview!

Best of luck!

STL_HCMC

My fiancee has been worrying that the Vietnam consulate won't be accepting a co-sponor because the I-134 is not binding under the K-1 visa and will be accepted or not case by case. I told my fiancee not to worry because I just graduated from college in December and will surely find a job that will make the required amount of income. I will then just sent in proof of my employment and hourly wages, and we'll be united. She told me that the previous year of tax is more valuable to the consulate and is just about the only thing they'll look at to determine if we meet the income requirement. She fears that she'll have to wait another year for me to file my taxes. So I want to ask for your opinions if she's right or am I right ? Thanks.
Edited by STL_HCMC

K1 Timeline

12/27/2005...I-129F Sent (Nebraska Service Center)

07/19/2006...Visa Approved

AOS Timeline

01/23/2007...AOS Sent

03/08/2007...AOS Approved

Removing Conditions

01/12/2009...I-751 Sent

06/10/2009...I-751 Approved

Naturalization

03/27/2010...N-400 Sent

11/21/2011...Approval

12/09/2011...Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I lived 5 years in VN and I didn't file federal taxes for 5 years! Therefore, I had to go back ( sent to an accountant) and file 3 years of back taxes for amounts BELOW the proverty level. Then I had to get co-sponsor "Aff of Support" with a retired VN Vet on a fixed income: We passed!

My opionion: As long as you don't have a criminal record (red flags), no outstanding divorce problems, and just fill out the EXACT paperwork requirements, you'll be OK! If you're a legitimate couple and you have nothing to hide, you'll be ok!

( I don't know about students with no work history, I agree with yellow 123's fiancee's response?)

Timeline
I lived 5 years in VN and I didn't file federal taxes for 5 years! Therefore, I had to go back ( sent to an accountant) and file 3 years of back taxes for amounts BELOW the proverty level. Then I had to get co-sponsor "Aff of Support" with a retired VN Vet on a fixed income: We passed!

My opionion: As long as you don't have a criminal record (red flags), no outstanding divorce problems, and just fill out the EXACT paperwork requirements, you'll be OK! If you're a legitimate couple and you have nothing to hide, you'll be ok!

( I don't know about students with no work history, I agree with yellow 123's fiancee's response?)

It seems like the US Consulate in HCMC is ####### about everything. :angry: I'm lucky I've been working for 6 yrs at the same company and making good money. But I'm still not guaranteed.

Edited by kvtran

-------------------------------------------------------------

2005-06-18 - I-129F sent to USCIS

2005-07-19 - NOA2!

2005-10-29 - Case is at HCMC Consulate

2005-11-25 - Date Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2006-02-09 - Date Complete Instructions (Pkt 3)

2006-04-05 - Date Rec Appointment Letter (Pkt 4)

2006-05-12 - Interview Date

2006-05-12 - Passed - Got the pink slip!!!

2006-05-15 - Visa Received

2006-06-05 - Anh in CALIFORNIA

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline
It seems like the US Consulate in HCMC is ####### about everything. :angry: I'm lucky I've been working for 6 yrs at the same company and making good money. But I'm still not guaranteed.

Well you're definitely not guaranteed anything without pack 4! What's going on with this man?

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Timeline

Well you're definitely not guaranteed anything without pack 4! What's going on with this man?

I don't know. I call everyday to the consulate and get the same reply. I have to wait. :ranting: The consulate sucks big time at HCMC.

Edited by kvtran

2005-07-19 - NOA2!

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I don't know. I call everyday to the consulate and get the same reply. I have to wait. :ranting: The consulate sucks big time at HCMC.

You aren't telling them that when you call are you?

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Timeline

You aren't telling them that when you call are you?

Hmmm :idea: Not a bad idea. I'll do that. :yes:

2005-07-19 - NOA2!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.