milwaukeegirl

I-864 stage

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I'm American, been living in the UK for a year and a half now. Since January I've been working on getting my British husband over to America. I just miss my family too much. We're at the stage now where I'm working on my I-864. My father is filling out the I-864A back in America. I have no assets and hardly any money in my American bank account. My husband and I will be living with my parents when we move to America. Thank goodness my father will sponsor my husband. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have a relative or friend to sponsor them. I thought I had gotten through the stressful part of the immigration process, but this I-864 business is proving to be a headache! Is anyone else at this stage at the moment? Also, anyone received a police report recently? We were told that my husband's would arrive by the 16th of July, and if not to call and enquire about it. The 16th is approaching quickly. Anyone still waiting on theirs? Good luck to everyone on their own individual cases. And look forward to hearing from anyone and everyone! My family and friends can't relate to the stress. Everyone seems to think this process is so easy. If only I could share the stress with them!

~Natalie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

The police reports take up to 40 days and seem unless you are lucky to take almost the full time.

I must admit I didn't find the process that stressful, it is a case of following instructions and filling out forms. It was the length of the wait between sending in forms and knowing if they were OK, especially the first part after sending the I-130 that got me. It really is a case of taking one step at a time and playing the "game" by the rules. Fortunately we were able to use our assets in the UK and didn't need a joint sponsor so we were spared the delay getting that arranged would have caused.

Just hang in there when it is over you will realise the mechanics of the process is relatively easy it is the unknown which is stressful.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

I can totally sympathise, yes it is a stressful process, with all the waiting and never really knowing 100% if you are doing the right thing at any stage, and I had a similar response from my family too ,most just could not understand why the process has taken as long as it has, as if somehow I had done something wrong, but no that is just how long it takes :(

Anyway, as to the police report, I think mine came through around about 2 days before the full time they told me to allow, so yours should be with you any day now.

And yes, I'd say the I-864 is probably the hardest part of the whole visa process, but really once you have that sewn up the rest is pretty straightforward, you just need a lot of patience.

Good luck

Sarah

Hello everyone. I'm American, been living in the UK for a year and a half now. Since January I've been working on getting my British husband over to America. I just miss my family too much. We're at the stage now where I'm working on my I-864. My father is filling out the I-864A back in America. I have no assets and hardly any money in my American bank account. My husband and I will be living with my parents when we move to America. Thank goodness my father will sponsor my husband. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have a relative or friend to sponsor them. I thought I had gotten through the stressful part of the immigration process, but this I-864 business is proving to be a headache! Is anyone else at this stage at the moment? Also, anyone received a police report recently? We were told that my husband's would arrive by the 16th of July, and if not to call and enquire about it. The 16th is approaching quickly. Anyone still waiting on theirs? Good luck to everyone on their own individual cases. And look forward to hearing from anyone and everyone! My family and friends can't relate to the stress. Everyone seems to think this process is so easy. If only I could share the stress with them!

~Natalie

I think I know what you mean about the stress. My wife asked her father to be a joint sponsor, which he was happy to do. We sent him the forms and we've been waiting to get them back. Just found out today, however, that his new wife won't let him sign the form. She's hidden all his tax forms from him. I understand that it's a big commitment and I can see why she would be hesitant. Unfortunately, we now have to find another joint sponsor.

My wife's going to ask her mother, who doesn't have a high enough salary, but does own her house. Not sure if she'll agree either, but I think she probably will. Does anyone know if this can be used as assets? If so, how does she prove how much the house is worth?

London DCF Timeline

7th Sept 06: Married in Half Moon Bay, California

8th March 07: Sent I-130

15th March 07: Received NOA1 (via email)

1st May 07: Applied for Police Certificate

31st May 07: Received NOA2

8th June 07: Received Packet 3

8th June 07: Received Police Certificate

11th June 07: Returned Packet 3

27th June 07: Received Packet 4

2nd July 07: Medical in London

21st August 07: Interview at London Embassy (approved!!!)

22nd August 07: Text received by courier service to tell me the visa is on its way

23rd August 07: Visa & MBE (mysterious brown envelope) received

17th September 07: Flying to Boston, MA

20th August 09: Applied for removal of conditions (form I-751)

26th August 09: Received NOA and notification that my conditional residence status was extended for one year.

15th December 09: Received letter approving my removal of conditions.

31st December 09: Received new green card (IR-1)

16th December 10: Mailed N-400 to Texas Lockbox

24th January 11: Biometrics Testing in Boston

21st April 11: Naturalization Interview - Passed!!

16th June 11: Oath Ceremony in Boston

~Natalie

Hello! I can totally relate about the I-864 being the hardest. I am really glad you've posted here - your father needs to fill out the I-864 as joint sponsor NOT the I-864A. You fill out the I-864 as the main sponsor even though it's zeros for everything and he fills out exactly the same form as joint sponsor. The I-864A is only for household members including income - for example, if your father's income was not enough, someone else who lived in his house could fill out the I-864A for their income to be added to your father's. Another note, if your father's income is enough, there's no need to faff about with the assests page. Make sure your father sends an actual copy of his 2006 1040 as well as his 2006 W2s and/or 1099 (if he has a regular salary job, he isn't likely to have received any 1099s).

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

The police reports take up to 40 days and seem unless you are lucky to take almost the full time.

I must admit I didn't find the process that stressful, it is a case of following instructions and filling out forms. It was the length of the wait between sending in forms and knowing if they were OK, especially the first part after sending the I-130 that got me. It really is a case of taking one step at a time and playing the "game" by the rules. Fortunately we were able to use our assets in the UK and didn't need a joint sponsor so we were spared the delay getting that arranged would have caused.

Just hang in there when it is over you will realise the mechanics of the process is relatively easy it is the unknown which is stressful.

Thanks for the info! I was getting worried that the police report was lost in the post, since they advised us it would only take 28 days. At least now I know it takes longer, and there's no need to worry! I suppose the reason I stress out so much is because a). I'm a woman and B). I just want to go home to America! I'm more homesick than I had expected, which isn't helping this process. I look forward to the day I can look on this as a distant memory, and chuckle at myself for being silly.

I can totally sympathise, yes it is a stressful process, with all the waiting and never really knowing 100% if you are doing the right thing at any stage, and I had a similar response from my family too ,most just could not understand why the process has taken as long as it has, as if somehow I had done something wrong, but no that is just how long it takes :(

Anyway, as to the police report, I think mine came through around about 2 days before the full time they told me to allow, so yours should be with you any day now.

And yes, I'd say the I-864 is probably the hardest part of the whole visa process, but really once you have that sewn up the rest is pretty straightforward, you just need a lot of patience.

Good luck

Sarah

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of patience. I don't suppose that's helping the situation. Good to know that this is the hardest stage. I can breathe a sigh of relief soon then!

~Natalie

I think I know what you mean about the stress. My wife asked her father to be a joint sponsor, which he was happy to do. We sent him the forms and we've been waiting to get them back. Just found out today, however, that his new wife won't let him sign the form. She's hidden all his tax forms from him. I understand that it's a big commitment and I can see why she would be hesitant. Unfortunately, we now have to find another joint sponsor.

My wife's going to ask her mother, who doesn't have a high enough salary, but does own her house. Not sure if she'll agree either, but I think she probably will. Does anyone know if this can be used as assets? If so, how does she prove how much the house is worth?

Hi. My father is retired, so I made sure he put his house down as his assets, just so all our bases are covered. They had their house appraised this morning by a licensed appaiser. My husband will bring the copies with him to his interview. The appraisal cost them $225, which I think is crazy. They went through a realtor in their neighborhood, so maybe it can cost less if you call a few places and compare prices. That's really horrible that your joint sponsor fell through. I hope you have better luck and everything works out. That's added stress that you do not need, that's for sure.

~Natalie

Hello! I can totally relate about the I-864 being the hardest. I am really glad you've posted here - your father needs to fill out the I-864 as joint sponsor NOT the I-864A. You fill out the I-864 as the main sponsor even though it's zeros for everything and he fills out exactly the same form as joint sponsor. The I-864A is only for household members including income - for example, if your father's income was not enough, someone else who lived in his house could fill out the I-864A for their income to be added to your father's. Another note, if your father's income is enough, there's no need to faff about with the assests page. Make sure your father sends an actual copy of his 2006 1040 as well as his 2006 W2s and/or 1099 (if he has a regular salary job, he isn't likely to have received any 1099s).

Hi. After reading through those horrible I-864 forms, I really thought that my father would have to fill out the I-864A. I was under the impression that you use this form when a household member makes their income and assets accessible to the sponsor, who doesn't meet the requirements. That's me! Unfortunately, but it seems to describe my situation perfectly. Because my father is retired, I wanted to make sure he used his house as his assets. Better to be safe than sorry! I really wish the government would print the instructions to the forms in sensible, clear explanations. Are they hoping we'll get frustrated and give up?

Timeline
Thanks for the info! I was getting worried that the police report was lost in the post, since they advised us it would only take 28 days. At least now I know it takes longer, and there's no need to worry! I suppose the reason I stress out so much is because a). I'm a woman and B). I just want to go home to America! I'm more homesick than I had expected, which isn't helping this process. I look forward to the day I can look on this as a distant memory, and chuckle at myself for being silly.

If it gets to the 40 days and you don't have it telephone the Public Access Office on 020 7161 3500. If you get the answer machine leave a message they will call back.

Edited by Lansbury

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Hi. After reading through those horrible I-864 forms, I really thought that my father would have to fill out the I-864A. I was under the impression that you use this form when a household member makes their income and assets accessible to the sponsor, who doesn't meet the requirements. That's me! Unfortunately, but it seems to describe my situation perfectly. Because my father is retired, I wanted to make sure he used his house as his assets. Better to be safe than sorry! I really wish the government would print the instructions to the forms in sensible, clear explanations. Are they hoping we'll get frustrated and give up?

I think that Margot is right. The reason it doesn't describe your situation perfectly is because your father is not part of your household. You'd use form I-864A if your father was a member of your household, but since you're living in the UK you do not live at the same residence and so you're not considered part of the same household. He'll need to be a joint sponsor and fill out an I-864. This is my understanding anyway. Look at the I-864A instructions; this should help clear it up.

Tim

London DCF Timeline

22nd August 07: Text received by courier service to tell me the visa is on its way

26th August 09: Received NOA and notification that my conditional residence status was extended for one year.

Hi all. Received the police report today, 4 days before we would have needed to call on it.

When everyone on this site refers to sending off "packet three", is that the "applicant's statement" which includes the checklist? (The form which you send off once all the necessary papers are acquired.) It has three boxes to choose from pertaining to the interview, whether the application will attend the interview alone, together with spouse, etc. Does that mean that I can accompany my husband to his interview? Or is that just referring to the immigrants? It would be great if I could go to the interview with my husband, so I was just curious if this is possible!

Natalie

Hi all. Received the police report today, 4 days before we would have needed to call on it.

When everyone on this site refers to sending off "packet three", is that the "applicant's statement" which includes the checklist? (The form which you send off once all the necessary papers are acquired.) It has three boxes to choose from pertaining to the interview, whether the application will attend the interview alone, together with spouse, etc. Does that mean that I can accompany my husband to his interview? Or is that just referring to the immigrants? It would be great if I could go to the interview with my husband, so I was just curious if this is possible!

Natalie

Packet 3 is made up of two forms. The DS-230 part 1, which you are advised to fill out and send back as soon as possible so they can start the Visa processing. The second form is the checklist & applicant's statement that you refer to. And yes, the USC can attend the interview with their spouse. I haven't had the interview yet so I'm not speaking from personal experience but many other people on this forum have done exactly that. In fact, I'd guess it would strengthen your application...it certainly can't harm it.

Tim

London DCF Timeline

Timeline

Natalie

My wife the USC came with me. In fact I ticked the box to say just myself was attending and nothing was said. I don't think they even really look at that box.

Go along just remember to take your US passport as ID to get into the Embassy. That is not something they will tell you as I recall but as we had been to the US Citizens section to have our house purchase documents notarized the instructions then were anyone requiring entry to the Embassy had to have their passport. Certainly when my wife came to my visa interview as soon as she showed her US passport they let her straight in.

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.