Sweetgirl

Whats going to happen if the Naturalization Certificate would get lost?...

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi Guys again,

I am probably getting paranoid about stuff ,but i hope that you understand why i am getting this way ,because its really Scary to entrust your Naturalization Certificate to the employee of the Post Office for to send it to the Passport Agency.

So,the thing is that i went to our local post office today and i didn't get very lucky with the postman employee there i think,because i could tell that he was new at that and new as employee as i haven't met him working there before.

I've got an impression that he didn't know what he was doing and i got really nervous about it.

To say honestly i really wanted to go talk to another more experienced post office employee there,but you know, i didn't do that because i thought it would be really rude of me to do that towards that guy.As you know ,you can't choose who you gonna be working with as there is a line of people standing at the post office and you can't choose the postman you wanna talk to as everyone get to talk to the postman according to the line order.

Well,to make the story short ,

First of all, he took the most ugly and horrible passport photo of myself i ever seen....LOL

I have paid $205 total . $143 -money order check was included plus the 2 express enevlopes packages charge.

I've got really fricked out when the Postman was about to staple my newly taken passport photo to the Original Naturalization Certificate.

I told him not to to that! Thanks God!

Then he put my application,picture,Naturalizaton Certificate and return express envelope into the Express Envelope i was sending the stuff in.

So,at the end he didn't Seal the Express Envelope and ive asked him why he doesent seal it?

He said that he needs to fill out some kind of a transmission form later and only then he is going to seal the envelope.

So he has basically taken away my unsealed express mail envlope somewhere in the back, together with my Original Naturalization Certificate.!!!

I am fricking out all day long since then. :crying::help: What if my Naturalization Certificate is gonna fall out from the envelope,or someone is gonna take it out or if this guy is going to forget to fill out the transmission form he was talking about as he said he was gonna do it later and if he forgets about it and then going to leave the envleope unsealed.

I was really mad,i think i should off talk to someone more experienced there and shouldn't off affraid of being rude to someone,but i didn't do that and left everything as it was.

So if my Naturalization Ceritificate is gonna be lost? Whats gonna happen if its gonna be lost?

I am so worried now.

I appreciate your concern.

Thanks.

Best wishes. (F)

Filed: Timeline

Well this is pretty scary. It reminds me of when I sent away some importatnt Initial Evidence for my AOS application and the guy at the post office appeared to be completely inept. I had no real reason to believe that he'd messed up, but it was an enormous relief to receive the return receipt.

I don't know if you did this, but I'd always spend the extra money and require both a return receipt and sent the package certified mail. Keep the receipts that said you did this, and then you can prove that the post office messed up if you package goes missing. In the mean time, I'd contact the Post Master, as a previous poster mentioned. I'd let him or her know that immigration documents are very important, and that the post office's employees cannot be careless with them. Also make sure you retain copies of everything you send to the USCIS, as they'll come in handy if your originals go missing.

Hi Guys again,

I am probably getting paranoid about stuff ,but i hope that you understand why i am getting this way ,because its really Scary to entrust your Naturalization Certificate to the employee of the Post Office for to send it to the Passport Agency.

So,the thing is that i went to our local post office today and i didn't get very lucky with the postman employee there i think,because i could tell that he was new at that and new as employee as i haven't met him working there before.

I've got an impression that he didn't know what he was doing and i got really nervous about it.

To say honestly i really wanted to go talk to another more experienced post office employee there,but you know, i didn't do that because i thought it would be really rude of me to do that towards that guy.As you know ,you can't choose who you gonna be working with as there is a line of people standing at the post office and you can't choose the postman you wanna talk to as everyone get to talk to the postman according to the line order.

First of all, he took the most ugly and horrible passport photo of myself i ever seen....LOL

I have paid $205 total . $143 -money order check was included plus the 2 express enevlopes packages charge.

I've got really fricked out when the Postman was about to staple my newly taken passport photo to the Original Naturalization Certificate.

Then he put my application,picture,Naturalizaton Certificate and return express envelope into the Express Envelope i was sending the stuff in.

So,at the end he didn't Seal the Express Envelope and ive asked him why he doesent seal it?

He said that he needs to fill out some kind of a transmission form later and only then he is going to seal the envelope.

So he has basically taken away my unsealed express mail envlope somewhere in the back, together with my Original Naturalization Certificate.!!!

I am fricking out all day long since then. :crying::help: What if my Naturalization Certificate is gonna fall out from the envelope,or someone is gonna take it out or if this guy is going to forget to fill out the transmission form he was talking about as he said he was gonna do it later and if he forgets about it and then going to leave the envleope unsealed.

I was really mad,i think i should off talk to someone more experienced there and shouldn't off affraid of being rude to someone,but i didn't do that and left everything as it was.

So if my Naturalization Ceritificate is gonna be lost? Whats gonna happen if its gonna be lost?

I am so worried now.

Thanks.

Best wishes. (F)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Nothing to worry about they do know what they are doing and it won't get lost. You did as suggested make photocopies of your Nat Cert didn't you? That's your backup. Also another good thing to do is get your SSN changed first so if you did lose your Nat Cert, you can always use that as US citizenship proof.

They also I believe have your old A# on file which should show you've been naturalized so that will also be a back up. But don't worry, I had all these questions myself and they won't lose your Nat. Cert at all and you'll be getting it back with the passport...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

• 3 years later...
Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Guys again,

I am so worried now.

Thanks.

Best wishes. (F)

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi there,

Made a mistake posting a little while ago.

I have the same problem as sweetgirl. The mailman did not seal the envelope at all.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me that they had the same experience and everything turned out fine...

Sweetgirl, did you ever get your passport and certificate back?

I am just worried about fraud and someone taking that envelope and getting a hold of my original certificate and replacing the picture and all that. It's really just pasted on it and all my information is there!

I am just very worried so please.. If anyone can tell me that this is regular procedure in sending in the first us passport, that would be great.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Threw me for a loop, thought you are suppose to bring in two passport photos, did this change?

You may have had a choice between your post office and city clerk, chose our city clerk, because not quite so crowded and it takes time to go over the application, say the oath, and provide all the the necessary information.

This site shows the list of agents in your area along with what their titles are for your zip code:

http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/DefaultForm.aspx

Was even tempted to drive to the next county as I know the clerk of court well, not afraid to walk away from someone I feel is incompetent. Have everything to lose, nothing to gain.

Still feel its crazy the US Department of State does not trust their own agents to make a copy of your original certificate, SS trusts their agents.

Understand that SS database is recent for keeping track of US citizens, they didn't want any part of it under Bush, but Obama sweetened the deal by giving them a hundred million bucks. But that is just a data base, having an SS card is no proof of US citizenship. And can't McGee from the NCIS TV show get in and hack it?

Filed: Other Timeline

Sweetgirl-I agree, this sounds pretty scary...

Glad though that you're smart enough to realize that something was wrong in terms of the way they did things here...

And yes, to make photocopies/copies of everything and keep receipts too....

Thanks for posting about your helpful experience....

Sorry though that this has to happen to you.....

Which is also one of the reasons why I didn't get a US Passport.....I couldn't trust the USPS in this regard.....

And if the certificate gets lost...It costs $450+ (and many weeks/months) to the USCIS for a replacement certificate....(there's a form you can download from the USCIS website, in terms of how to get a replacement certificate)

So unless you want to deal with the USCIS again for a replacement...

Definitely inquire with the USPS and the DHS/Passport Agency about the status of your certificate and passport...

Hopefully you'll get both your certificate and passport back in the mail, with no problems...

And yes, do post an update about your naturalization certificate and passport...

Good luck with your travels and good luck with your travels as a US Citizen...

Ant

Hi Guys again,

I am so worried now.

Thanks.

Best wishes. (F)

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Other Timeline

I am pretty sure the Post Office is insured for these type of things. And I do know for a fact, they special send the passport apps.

Henia-Yes, the Post Office is insured...But...

It's going to be quite the hassle in dealing with them in terms of having to replace the original certificate....

As well..There's going to be hassle in dealing with the USCIS in terms of having to get a new certificate...

So who knows how much money, time, frustration, etc. in dealing with the USPS and USCIS will be in the long run if the certificate is lost/damaged/etc....

Really, they should have better guidelines in terms of how they deal with applicants that have naturalization certificates..

Why does one have to send in the original is beyond my comprehension.....

Isn't a photocopy good enough?

Other agencies accept photocopies...(SSA, DMV, etc...) so why not the DHS/Passport Agency?

Oh and added to the fact that the USCIS is part of the DHS.....Why would they need the original again if it is a document coming from the similar/same govenment agency...

Guess it's a case of "the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing"...lol...

It makes no sense at all.... :wacko:

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.