prko0

Marrying a Canadian citizen in canada......

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Im a US citizen and im thinking on marrying my g/f of 3 years, she is a canadian citizen. I drove from california all the way to vancouver where im at right now and I been here for about 3 months and we've decided to get married because we really love and care for each other. She is 10 years older than me but i dont think age matters when it cames to love. Well my question is when I entered the border they stop me and made me return until i had proof of my living conditions in the states which I think its dumb since I was just going visiting for a while. As soon as i got the documentation I went back to the border and crossed without a problem. Now im thinking on marrying my gf in canada in about a week or two. We are madly in love and we would love to get our life's togueters as a couple. So now im thinking what would be the next steps and if this would make it easier for me to become a resident in canada and be able to work. ?? could anybody help me with this question i would really appreciate it

martin

Edited by prko0

Im a US citizen and im thinking on marrying my g/f of 3 years, she is a canadian citizen. I drove from california all the way to vancouver where im at right now and I been here for about 3 months and we've decided to get married because we really love and care for each other. She is 10 years older than me but i dont think age matters when it cames to love. Well my question is when I entered the border they stop me and made me return until i had proof of my living conditions in the states which I think its dumb since I was just going visiting for a while. As soon as i got the documentation I went back to the border and crossed without a problem. Now im thinking on marrying my gf in canada in about a week or two. We are madly in love and we would love to get our life's togueters as a couple. So now im thinking what would be the next steps and if this would make it easier for me to become a resident in canada and be able to work. ?? could anybody help me with this question i would really appreciate it

martin

Martin,

You can marry your girlfriend in Canada no problem. However, you should both know that marriage to a Canadian citizen does NOT grant you permanent residence immediately by any means, neither it gives you permission to work or study - there's a process to follow, and I don't know how Canada customs and Citizenship and Immigration Canada deal with people coming in for a visit and getting married when it comes to apply for permanent residence.

Yet, I don't know much about the process since this is a US family immigration forum, but I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction. Wisdom, anyone?

Good luck, L.

p.s. congratulations on your engagement!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

have you moved to Canada or are you just visiting? mostly I'm wondering if you need to go back to the US to wrap up your life down there. When I was working on my Canadian PR out of Canada applications were generally approved quicker than in Canada. Which means that you'd be able to work sooner. I moved to Canada just a few weeks after we submitted the application and was given a temporary resident visa at the border-that type of visa is NOT a work permit. Our application was lost so it took 9 months for me to get my PR, but if everything goes smoothly 4-6 months seems like a reasonable timeframe.

check out britishexpats.com the Canadian forum is mostly skilled worker applicants but there are enough family class that you should be able to get the help that you need.

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

I pretty much moved in here but I came in as a visitor..... No need to wrap up any life in the US (california) Im in a commong law relationship since ive knows my gf for about 3 years. and we moved in well me as a visitor like 4 months ago. Last summer I came for two months and the summer before that one for 6 months. She owns her own house and everything else. Shes a native canadian ... I dont know if that helps some or if at all

martin

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp For info on immigrating to Canada as a spouse.

You are only allowed six months as a visitor in any twelve month span. You may have to move back to the States and await processing there. I believe I have heard that it takes LESS time to sponsor someone outside of the Canada than within. Your best bet would be to consult an immigration attorney, since you'd more than likely be "out-of-status" before the application has finished.

Adjustment of Status / EAD / AP
Day 000: 2007-12-27 Mailed Application
Day 002: 2007-12-29 Received at Chicago Lockbox
Day 003: 2007-12-30 "Received Date"
Day 007: 2008-01-03 All 5 NOAs (K1 + K2 AOS, K1 EAD, K1 + K2 AP)
Day 008: 2008-01-04 K-2 AOS Touched
Day 011: 2008-01-07 $1610 Check cleared
Day 011: 2008-01-07 All 5 physical NOAs received
Day 012: 2008-01-08 K-1 files Touched, but not K-2
Day 014: 2008-01-10 K-2 AP Touched
Day 016: 2008-01-12 Biometrics Appt. Letter Received
Day 029: 2008-01-25 Biometrics Appt.
Day 043: 2008-02-08 K-2 Notice of interview received
Day 044: 2008-02-09 K-1 Notice of interview received
Day 056: 2008-02-21 APs approved and EAD card production ordered
Day 126: 2008-05-01 Interviews
-----------------------------------------------------------
K1/K2 Application
Day 000: 2007-03-16 Sent out I-129F Package
Day 012: 2007-03-28 NOA1
Day 082: 2007-06-06 NOA2
Day 103: 2007-06-27 NVC Received
Day 105: 2007-06-29 NVC Forwarded to Montreal
Day 117: 2007-07-11 Montreal Sends Packet 3
Day 125: 2007-07-19 Receive Packet 3
Day 129: 2007-07-23 Send Checklist and Forms Back
Day 131: 2007-07-25 Montreal Receives Packet 3
Day 137: 2007-07-31 Medical
Day 169: 2007-09-01 "Wedding" (aka the $10K party)
Day 192: 2007-09-24 Receive "Packet 4" (Interview letter)
Day 238: 2007-11-09 Interview in Montreal
Day 245: 2007-11-16 Visas Received
Day 248: 2007-11-19 Moved to USA
Day 249: 2007-11-20 Legal wedding

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a great websight for you to check out that deals with Canadian Immigration..its a Yahoo group

Im a USC and became a Canadian PR 5 years ago... I was on the group the entire time of my process and everyone is so helpful and supportive..

Im going to have to get back on it as my PR is going to expire at the end of the year, and the US process is taking longer than we thought, so I will have to gather the paperwork to send in for a renewal.. Woo hoo, 2 Immigration processes at the same time..LOL

anyway heres a link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canadian_imm...?yguid=95531388

good luck!

Kimmbo (Las Vegas,NV,USA)

Barry (Brampton,ON,CANADA)

Im an American married to a Canadian, I have no kids, yet Im a grandmother, I can pick things up off the floor with my toes

I-130

----------------

Feb/26/07 Sent I-130 (VSC)($190 US)

March/2/07 Rcv'd at VSC

March/5/07 NOA-1

July/23/07 NOA2(147 days)

I-129F

--------------

March/16/07 Sent I-129F (Chicago) ($170 US)

March/21/07 Received in Chicago

March/22/07 NOA-1

April/10/07 Transferred to VSC

April/23/07 Email from USCIS (case pending at VSC)

July/23/07 NOA2(129 days)

July/28/07 Rcv'd at NVC

July/31/07 NVC sent to Montreal

Aug/3/07 Montreal Rcv'd

Aug/8/07 Packet 3 Received

Aug/10/07 Packet 3 Sent

Aug/13/07 Packet 3 Received in Montreal

Oct/17/07 Medical Scheduled (Dr Seiden)

Jan/25/08 INTERVIEW MONTREAL...APPROVED!

Feb/6/08 Montreal sends Visa, finally!

Feb/8/08 Received Visa (14 days)

April/18/08 Moving Day/POE Sarnia

AOS/EAD

--------------

June/21/08 AOS/EAD package sent ($1010)

June/23/08 Received in Chicago

June/30/08 Check cashed

July/01/08 Received NOA's for I-765 & I-485 (dated June 27th)

July/02/08 Touch

July/07/08 Received Biometrics letter (dated July 1st)

July/18/08 Biometrics appt 8am

Aug/30/08 EAD card received (approval dated Aug 26th)

Sept/04/08 Applied for SSN

Sept/15/08 Social Security card received

Jan/23/09 letter received with interview date

March/10/09 INTERVIEW 9:30am...APPROVED!!

March/19/09 Welcome Letter received

March/23/09 GREENCARD RECEIVED, DONE WITH USCIS UNTIL 2019!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

did you enter Canada on an actual visa or were you just waived through? If you were just waived through you should apply for a temporary resident visa-it's good for 6 months and can be renewed while you are waiting for your PR to be processed. The first visitor visa is free (at least if you get it from the border) then they are ~$75 for renewals. Technically your temp visa will/could be taken away if you leave Canada and you'd have to apply for a new one to get back in, but I went back to the States at least 3 times and never had my visa taken away.

don't worry about an immigration lawyer unless you have some issues in your past (convictions, etc.).

to apply for common-law you need to have lived together continously for the past 12 months. Just visiting alot doesn't count. you're planning on getting married anyway, so just do it. I felt weird getting married quickly just so we could start the immigration process untill a lovely friend pointed out that we were eloping so we could actually live together. What better reason is there to get married?

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

to apply for common-law you need to have lived together continously for the past 12 months. Just visiting alot doesn't count. you're planning on getting married anyway, so just do it. I felt weird getting married quickly just so we could start the immigration process untill a lovely friend pointed out that we were eloping so we could actually live together. What better reason is there to get married?

ditto termophile. Common-law in Canada is recognized after more than 12 months in the same domicile (with proving documents), visits do not count. So yup, get married is in order.

Also, do check out british expats. I think you'll find more info there for your case - like I mentioned earlier, this forum is for folks moving to the US. Though you are welcome to stay (we are a fun bunch), but certainly check out other sites.Oh! and totally check out http://www.cic.gc.ca for the latest on family sponsorship in Canada.

Good luck, L.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.