classic

waiting time for certificate of citizenship

7 posts in this topic

I am a US citizen with my foreign-born children residing with me since they arrived in U.S. soil in May 2006. They entered on a K4 visa and are now legal permanent residents. They are considered US citizens from the time they got their green cards. I applied for certificate of citizenship (prelude to the blue passport) by mail about a month and a half ago at USCIS Newark Field Office and received the receipt by mail a few weeks later. I have not hear from them since. I just want to know how long this thing usually takes. Thanks!

TIMELINE (Married 9 yrs)

Aug 18, 2005 - Mailed I-130 (wife & kids') to VSC

Aug 29, 2005 - NOA-1 for I-130's received

Sep 13, 2005 - I-130's approved, petition forwarded to NVC

Oct 10, 2005 - I-864 Bill received by agent

Oct 12, 2005 - Paid I-864 Bill by Postal Money Order-$70 for whole family

Dec 17, 2005- checklist for I-864 received, reply sent back & entered into system on Dec 22.

Oct 20, 2005 - Alien spouse received DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) documents

Oct 24,2005 - DS-3032 sent to NVC (fr Phils)

Nov 17, 2005 - IV Fee Bill paid by Money Order & sent

Jan 3, 2006 - Mailed DS-230 to NVC

Jan 4, 2006 - DS-230 entered into system

Jan 12, 2006 - CASE COMPLETED, and still waiting!!!

Aug 3, 2006- schedule of interview at US Embassy-Manila. Won't be showing up.

K3/K4

Aug 30, 2005 - Mailed I-129F to Chicago(wife's)

Sep 10, 2005 - NOA-1 for I-129F

Oct 19, 2005 - I-129F Approved (email notice), received mail Oct. 28

Nov 2, 2005- Received K3 approval notice

Mar 24, 2006 - K3 interview

Apr 4, 2006 - Visas in hand

May 8, 2006 - arrived in America

AOS

August 2006 - mailed I-485 forms

September 2006 - Biometrics done

December 2006 - Interview; Green Card received by mail a week later

2007: Applied for kids' certificate of citizenship, got the certificates in June & passports in August 2007

Don't worry, there's a Huge backlog for passport to the point that the govt have decided to suspend the requirement for us citizen traveling to Mexico and Canada, Now once you have the receipt that you have applied for the passport it's enough to travel to canada and mexico with just your driver's license or something like that.

Good luck

Gone but not Forgotten!

I am a US citizen with my foreign-born children residing with me since they arrived in U.S. soil in May 2006. They entered on a K4 visa and are now legal permanent residents. They are considered US citizens from the time they got their green cards. I applied for certificate of citizenship (prelude to the blue passport) by mail about a month and a half ago at USCIS Newark Field Office and received the receipt by mail a few weeks later. I have not hear from them since. I just want to know how long this thing usually takes. Thanks!

I did they whole trip with my K4. Applied for PP tho. Been 5 months and called my Senator . It's impossible to get thru to the passport agency.

Senator called and they said I have to have child in legal and physical custody for 2 years in the US for her [K4] to get automatic US Citizenship.

Starts at date of final adoption decree in the US.

Edited by beckypua

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Thanks for the help, but just to clarify things:

I filed for N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship (not for a passport yet).

I am the biological father, and I reside in the U.S.

Instructions in Form N-600:

You may use this form if you claim U.S. citizenship either by action of law while residing in the UnitedStates or by having been born outside the United States to U.S. citizen parent(s).

If you are the biological or adopted child of a U.S.citizen, you were born outside the United States andyou are claiming citizenship by action of law, you automatically become a U.S. citizen if:

- You have at least one parent who is a U.S. citizen,whether by birth or naturalization; and

- You regularly reside in the United States in the legal and physical custody of your U.S. citizen parent; and

- You have been lawfully admitted for permanentresidence

I fulfill all three requirements.

Thanks again . . .

TIMELINE (Married 9 yrs)

Aug 18, 2005 - Mailed I-130 (wife & kids') to VSC

Aug 29, 2005 - NOA-1 for I-130's received

Sep 13, 2005 - I-130's approved, petition forwarded to NVC

Oct 10, 2005 - I-864 Bill received by agent

Oct 12, 2005 - Paid I-864 Bill by Postal Money Order-$70 for whole family

Dec 17, 2005- checklist for I-864 received, reply sent back & entered into system on Dec 22.

Oct 20, 2005 - Alien spouse received DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) documents

Oct 24,2005 - DS-3032 sent to NVC (fr Phils)

Nov 17, 2005 - IV Fee Bill paid by Money Order & sent

Jan 3, 2006 - Mailed DS-230 to NVC

Jan 4, 2006 - DS-230 entered into system

Jan 12, 2006 - CASE COMPLETED, and still waiting!!!

Aug 3, 2006- schedule of interview at US Embassy-Manila. Won't be showing up.

K3/K4

Aug 30, 2005 - Mailed I-129F to Chicago(wife's)

Sep 10, 2005 - NOA-1 for I-129F

Oct 19, 2005 - I-129F Approved (email notice), received mail Oct. 28

Nov 2, 2005- Received K3 approval notice

Mar 24, 2006 - K3 interview

Apr 4, 2006 - Visas in hand

May 8, 2006 - arrived in America

AOS

August 2006 - mailed I-485 forms

September 2006 - Biometrics done

December 2006 - Interview; Green Card received by mail a week later

2007: Applied for kids' certificate of citizenship, got the certificates in June & passports in August 2007

I filed for N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship (not for a passport yet).

You may use this form if you claim U.S. citizenship either by action of law while residing in the UnitedStates or by having been born outside the United States to U.S. citizen parent(s).

If you are the biological or adopted child of a U.S.citizen, you were born outside the United States andyou are claiming citizenship by action of law, you automatically become a U.S. citizen if:

- You have at least one parent who is a U.S. citizen,whether by birth or naturalization; and

- You regularly reside in the United States in the legal and physical custody of your U.S. citizen parent; and

Thanks again . . .

I meet them all also but the biggy is "legal and physical custody". USCIS are saying 2 years. If you have that you won't have a problem.

Right now I'm still waiting to hear "officially" from the DOS. My senators office did tell me that it was denied and Passport agency is holding my application [Daughters] until the time its valid.

Still up in the air if they will allow the time she was still in the Philippines and we were married.

CCA does say 2 years.

Hope it flys!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Thanks again . . .

I meet them all also but the biggy is "legal and physical custody". USCIS are saying 2 years. If you have that you won't have a problem.

Right now I'm still waiting to hear "officially" from the DOS. My senators office did tell me that it was denied and Passport agency is holding my application [Daughters] until the time its valid.

Still up in the air if they will allow the time she was still in the Philippines and we were married.

CCA does say 2 years.

Hope it flys!

May be different as my anak is adopted!

A child who is born in the United States, or born abroad to a U.S. citizen(s) who lived in

(or came to) the United States for the required period of time prior to the child’s birth, is

generally considered a U.S. citizen at birth.

A child who is:

• Born to a U.S. citizen who did not live in (or come to) the United States for the

required period of time prior to the child’s birth, or

• Born to one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent or two alien parents who

naturalize after the child’s birth, or

• Adopted (stepchildren cannot derive or acquire citizenship through their stepparents)

law on the date on which all of the following requirements have been met:

• The child was lawfully admitted for permanent residence*; and

• Either parent was a United States citizen by birth or naturalization**; and

• The child was still under 18 years of age; and

• The child was not married; and

• The child was the parent’s legitimate child or was legitimated by the parent before

the child’s 16th birthday (children born out of wedlock who were not legitimated

before their 16th birthday do not derive United States citizenship through their

father); and

• If adopted, the child met the requirements of section 101(B)(1)(E) or (F) of the

Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) and has had a full and final adoption; and

• The child was residing in the United States in the legal custody of the U.S. citizen

parent (this includes joint custody); and

• The child was residing in the United States in the physical custody of the U.S.

citizen parent.

If you and your child meet all of these requirements, you may obtain a U.S. passport for the

child as evidence of citizenship. If the child needs further evidence of citizenship, you may

submit an “Application for Certificate of Citizenship” (Form N-600) to USCIS to obtain a

Certificate of Citizenship. (NOTE: A child who meets these requirements before his or her

18th birthday may obtain a passport or Certificate of Citizenship at any time, even after he or

she turns 18.)

Edited by beckypua

!! ALL PAU!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.