britty

Where do UKC's buy furniture in the US?

34 posts in this topic

Try to look in your local stores, I can't emphasise that enough. I had a real problem here with sofas and finding one that was of my liking. There just doesn't seem to be very many of those huge, sink in and disappear sofas like you get in the UK.

Most of our furniture is local. This way we keep the community going and don't have to go far. We tend to buy handmade, wooden, specially crafted stuff that you can stain yourself. We live in a really old house, so Ikea's furniture would just look stupid and rather naff.

Our fridge, freezer and washer and dryer came from the little electrical appliance shop 3 minutes from here. Because we are so local they deliver for free. The same for our sofa, end tables and coffee table - came from the furniture warehouse up the street. Again, delivery is free. Price wise we haven't paid over the odds. Because they wish to stay competitive and in business, they are reasonable in price. I'd rather pay $30 more than an online price if it means a local gets a commission (rather than some unseen superstore). We live in a small town and keeping people in business here is important to me.

Anyway, the point of this post (if I can remember it) is that you should look locally, don't be put off. You may be pleasantly surprised at the odd bargain and gorgeous piece of furniture.

Yup, looking locally seems to have worked for us - I'm in love with half the things in the shop NEXT DOOR, I'd buy half the shop if I could afford it. It's an absolutely massive place on all four (or is it five, I forget?) floors of a huge downtown building - I hadn't realised initially that they were using more than the ground floor (full of uber-modern weird-looking sofas and things that didn't appeal that much at all) and C. had warned me that it was 'really expensive', so I'd not even bothered going in... then I wandered in one afternoon, found the chest of drawers of my dreams (mysteriously reduced to a price below those of the crappy flimsy ones in Target) and... yeah, I'd like EVERYTHING there, please. They now have me on their mailing list and sent me a postcard about some special discounts this week... hurrah!

As for what you said about the 'huge, sink in and disappear' sofas..... mmmmm, that is what I'm after! Finally I'm living in a place with enough space to fit in the perfect sofa, and I can't find one! C. fancies one of those sectional, modern things, but... noooooo, I want the kind of sofa you can live on, damn it!!! :lol:

I also agree completely about being more than willing to pay extra for something from a local business rather than some giant online place (I would never buy furniture online without seeing it unless it was really, really, really cheap, anyway - you never know what it's really going to be like 'til you've seen it!), but... not double the price, which seems to be what we'd have to pay in some of the places round here. :(

I agree wholeheartedly with you both, however I live in Old Town Alexandria in VA, where the small furniture shops here want anything from $3,000 to $5,000 just for a chest of drawers. The pieces are lovely and one or two would be great, but with needing so much, I need to spend less. I will ask if they are due for any sales though as that might work!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try to look in your local stores, I can't emphasise that enough. I had a real problem here with sofas and finding one that was of my liking. There just doesn't seem to be very many of those huge, sink in and disappear sofas like you get in the UK.

Most of our furniture is local. This way we keep the community going and don't have to go far. We tend to buy handmade, wooden, specially crafted stuff that you can stain yourself. We live in a really old house, so Ikea's furniture would just look stupid and rather naff.

Our fridge, freezer and washer and dryer came from the little electrical appliance shop 3 minutes from here. Because we are so local they deliver for free. The same for our sofa, end tables and coffee table - came from the furniture warehouse up the street. Again, delivery is free. Price wise we haven't paid over the odds. Because they wish to stay competitive and in business, they are reasonable in price. I'd rather pay $30 more than an online price if it means a local gets a commission (rather than some unseen superstore). We live in a small town and keeping people in business here is important to me.

Anyway, the point of this post (if I can remember it) is that you should look locally, don't be put off. You may be pleasantly surprised at the odd bargain and gorgeous piece of furniture.

Yup, looking locally seems to have worked for us - I'm in love with half the things in the shop NEXT DOOR, I'd buy half the shop if I could afford it. It's an absolutely massive place on all four (or is it five, I forget?) floors of a huge downtown building - I hadn't realised initially that they were using more than the ground floor (full of uber-modern weird-looking sofas and things that didn't appeal that much at all) and C. had warned me that it was 'really expensive', so I'd not even bothered going in... then I wandered in one afternoon, found the chest of drawers of my dreams (mysteriously reduced to a price below those of the crappy flimsy ones in Target) and... yeah, I'd like EVERYTHING there, please. They now have me on their mailing list and sent me a postcard about some special discounts this week... hurrah!

As for what you said about the 'huge, sink in and disappear' sofas..... mmmmm, that is what I'm after! Finally I'm living in a place with enough space to fit in the perfect sofa, and I can't find one! C. fancies one of those sectional, modern things, but... noooooo, I want the kind of sofa you can live on, damn it!!! :lol:

I also agree completely about being more than willing to pay extra for something from a local business rather than some giant online place (I would never buy furniture online without seeing it unless it was really, really, really cheap, anyway - you never know what it's really going to be like 'til you've seen it!), but... not double the price, which seems to be what we'd have to pay in some of the places round here. :(

I agree wholeheartedly with you both, however I live in Old Town Alexandria in VA, where the small furniture shops here want anything from $3,000 to $5,000 just for a chest of drawers. The pieces are lovely and one or two would be great, but with needing so much, I need to spend less. I will ask if they are due for any sales though as that might work!

Wow... that is, um, quite a lot! :o I know I wouldn't have any difficulty at all finding lovely stuff if we had a ton of money to spend, but as we don't... we'll just have to take our time scouring every shop we can find in search of the perfect furniture! And I've just realised (this'll serve me right for typing big long messages when I'm half asleep) that my post above contradicted itself totally - when I say that looking in local shops seems to have worked for us, I meant when it came to finding a chest of drawers. Very pleased with those... now if they'd just reduce the prices of everything else in there by about 75% or more, I might be able to afford some more stuff. I'll just have to keep an eye on the place and see what else they reduce to an affordable price. Oh well... at least my clothes now have somewhere to live, it's a start!

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well, I'd never be able to afford $3000 for a piece and I agree with Feather, you just have to keep looking. Now and again a certain piece pops up that is affordable and fits right in. They are there, they DO exist, you just have to keep your eyes peeled for them and nab 'em when you see 'em! :thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Most of my furniture has come from local shops. You get better prices than if you hit the city, and as mags stated it is generally free delivery and even set up on appliances. Ikea, well I never bought from them but when I have browsed I am never impressed. I am one that would prefer and older piece (used) made of solid wood that I know is going to last me a lifetime if I so choose. We picked up a solid maple bedroom set when we returned, from a local junk/thrift/bargain shop for $300 (double bed, chest of drawers, dresser and a mirror)! You can't buy that pressed wood ####### for that! All it needed was a good lemon oil rub down!

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
We got a very cool giant L couch off craigslist - handmade, designer, rarely used. Cheap!

We got an very cool retro bedroom set from a big charity shop here, 70s brown /black laminate, impeccably clean. VERY COOL & cheap!

:thumbs: You shop like I do then!

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Filed: Timeline
We got a very cool giant L couch off craigslist - handmade, designer, rarely used. Cheap!

We got an very cool retro bedroom set from a big charity shop here, 70s brown /black laminate, impeccably clean. VERY COOL & cheap!

:thumbs: You shop like I do then!

I love finding bargains - it makes the victory sweeter. :devil: This couch is absolutely amazing, a heavy custom mohair upholstered couch, never used by some rich doctor who lived by the beach - perfect!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

There's a place about a half hour drive from me that sells proper wooden furniture, tends to be unstained and is REALLY cheap. It's cheaper than the laminate furniture you get in Ikea and far better quality. :thumbs:

As a rule, Ikea seems to be good for rugs, lamps, utensils, glassware etc etc. I find that the actual furniture is pants. A friend of mine in London bought a huge sofa of theirs. Bloody monster it was. THE most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat on. It started to go threadbare within 6 months, sag within 4 months and I swear I almost contracted piles a couple of times by sitting on it, it was so hard! :lol: j/k

Edited by mags

As a rule, Ikea seems to be good for rugs, lamps, utensils, glassware etc etc. I find that the actual furniture is pants. A friend of mine in London bought a huge sofa of theirs. Bloody monster it was. THE most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat on. It started to go threadbare within 6 months, sag within 4 months and I swear I almost contracted piles a couple of times by sitting on it, it was so hard! :lol: j/k

Their sofas are hit and miss, definitely. You can even tell that in the store just by sitting on them. However I've had an IKEA sofa for about 4 years now and its been great and comfy and is holding up fine despite constant abuse. I've never dared try washing the cover though! With IKEA stuff you really get what you pay for, a cheap sofa may seem a bargain, but usually there's a reason its cheap.

I always tend to buy IKEA stuff because of the work I'm in I tend to move jobs often. Having IKEA furnature means never having to give a ####### when the movers damage your stuff! ;)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I live in Arlington and work in Old Town on weekends and know exactly how expensive those shops are! But I love to look anyway. If you see any sales, please let me know! :lol:

I am not a big Ikea fan, but believe it or not, we had really good luck at La-Z-Boy in Fairfax for our couch and sofa. And you can spend hours on their website playing with their interactive design center. Can't remember what kind of chests or tables they had, but you can look on their website - http://www.la-z-boy.com/

I love finding bargains - it makes the victory sweeter. :devil: This couch is absolutely amazing, a heavy custom mohair upholstered couch, never used by some rich doctor who lived by the beach - perfect!

Bargains are the best! I found my favorite table and a sweet little chair at two different antique marts in Maryland. The table needed a bit of work, but I enjoy doing that sort of thing anyway. Total cost for both = less than $75. Whoo hoo!

Britty, I have also been to a place called Upscale Resale in Falls Church a few times, http://www.upscaleresale.com/. It's a consignment shop and the prices can sometimes be a bit high, but you also can hit it on the right day and find a good deal.

Whatever you do, good luck and happy shopping!

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

I totally agree. The furniture sucks, the other stuff can be very nice but you gotta be selective. :thumbs:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

I decided to have a look at a lot of the furniture stores in Old Town Alexandria yesterday, and found a lovely deep chair that would have been perfect. Alas the price was $3,000 !!!!!!! so not an option at all really....... anyway a friend recommended a huge furniture store called Belfort out near Dulles Airport in VA (if anyone is local then its really worth a visit). I managed to find quite a few items that I either like or really like, and that are affordable. For the price of a chair in Old Town, I could get a sofa, large rug, artwork, and a leather chaise !!! Oh happy days..... DerekkJ - if you have time to visit Belfort then Im sure you will find some nice things and for a fraction of the cost of something from one of those pretentious stores on King Street !! Well made too.

I would say West Elm or CB2 (both online places) would be equivalent to Next & M&S. Modern stuff, clean lines and nothing like the naff ####### most of the stores stock. CB2 also have wonderful prices on kitchen stuff too -- a little more upmarket than Ikea, but still cheap enough to not care if any of it breaks.

Again, we're very much local shoppers, and don't forget antique stores or yard sales. We've got some amazing pieces of furniture that we've restored either with paint or fabric that will last forever. Or take it somewhere local (again!) to get it done there if you're not feeling creative. Another option is Ebay. Great retro stuff on sale for crazy prices if you're into that kind of thing.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

slow to the topic I know, you could try this place http://www.eurway.com/ which is based in Austin & Dallas but I'm sure they ship. Do you have roomstore & rooms to go? They have nice settees for reasonable prices.

04/02/2007 - Mailed I-485 & I-130 for myself and 2 daughters

04/04/2007 - Package arrived in Chicago

04/10/2007 - Package received at MSC

04/16/2007 - NOA received for myself and 1 daughter

04/18/2007 - NOA received for other daughter (delayed by incorrect address).

04/27/2007 - Biometrics scheduled - arrived 2 hours early due to overcautious husband, let us go in early and were all done 15 minutes later.

04/30/2007 - All touched.

06/21/2007 - All touched.

06/28/2007 - Initial interview scheduled for all.

06/28/2007 - All approved with stamp.

07/02/2007 - Received Welcome letters.

07/03/2007 - Received card production email.

.png

slow to the topic I know, you could try this place http://www.eurway.com/ which is based in Austin & Dallas but I'm sure they ship. Do you have roomstore & rooms to go? They have nice settees for reasonable prices.

Farmer's Branch is like Dallas's furniture district; it seems like it's nothing but furniture stores. :lol:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.