balmytigeress

timeline for arriving in US and marrying

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My understanding is that my fiance has 3 months to enter the US, then after that, 90 days (~3 months) to marry me. So a total of 6 months to marry me if he stayed there the 3 months and we waited until the last minute to marry. That's not the plan, BTW, that was just to show a total of 6 months. Not going to wait all 90 days to get married.

Is that right?

Or is it 3 months to get him here and marry?

BT

If I cause offense it is not on purpose, think about that before you take offense. If you feel offended, consider that maybe I'm not talking about you and maybe I accidentally stumbled onto a sore area and do not know. Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Pretty sure it is 6 months and then 90 days to marry.

AOS

Filled : 2007-09-17

NOA : 2007-09-25

Biometrics : 2007-12-13

EAD card prod : 2007-12-13

Job Offer : 2007-12-18

EAD card prod : 2007-12-18

EAD approved mailed : 2007-12-21

EAD in Hand : 2007-12-24 (Awesome Christmas Present)

Applied for SSN : 2007-12-26

SSN arrives in mail : 2008-01-05 (Happy New Year)

Start work :2008-01-15

K-1 is good for 6 months to enter the US, and then 90 days to marry I thought.

:yes::thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

His visa is good for 6 months, therefor, he must enter the US within 6 months. Once in the US, you have 90 calendar days to be legally married.

So it is good for 6 month, if he arrived at the tail end of that he would have 90 days to get married after that? So it would be a total of 9 months at the most? Start to finish?

The question is partly theoretical because hopefully he won't be staying there 6 more months, assuming we get the visa first time around. And I don't think we'll take 30 days before marrying, much less 89 days!

:D

BT

Edited by balmytigeress

If I cause offense it is not on purpose, think about that before you take offense. If you feel offended, consider that maybe I'm not talking about you and maybe I accidentally stumbled onto a sore area and do not know. Thank you.

You have six months to use the K-1, and once you enter, you have 90 days to get married. It's only ninety days whether you enter on day one of your K-1 or day 179.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Ok, thanks all. It is clear.

6 months to enter US.

90 days to marry AFTER arriving. This is where I got the 3 months number from. I wonder where I got the idea that he had 3 months to enter the US.

Total of 9 months. Like a baby :D

BT

Always be sure to check the actual expiration date on the K1. It is supposed to be 6 months to enter, 90 days to marry as everyone states above, however look at the actual visa.

I remember one member who had theirs printed wrong, and rather than correcting it, they just changed their plans to come earlier.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Always be sure to check the actual expiration date on the K1. It is supposed to be 6 months to enter, 90 days to marry as everyone states above, however look at the actual visa.

I remember one member who had theirs printed wrong, and rather than correcting it, they just changed their plans to come earlier.

That would be us. Instead of having the usual 6 months, we got about 7 weeks before the visa expired once they issued it.

goCsm4.png

photo22-1-1.jpg

AF3Cm5.png

That would be us. Instead of having the usual 6 months, we got about 7 weeks before the visa expired once they issued it.

:thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.