chuckandkim

Vietnam Passport for Vietnamese American Citizen

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Anyone has done this before?

Vietnamese American who wants to get a VN Passport.

With proof you were born in VN, Vietnam national, immigrated to US Legally or Illegally (Boat people)

Then apply for a VN Passport. Since, to become fully "American Citizen", i think vietnamese american folks like I am, must send the VN Embassy a form to tell the VN Govt. that I stop considering myself as Vietnamese Citizen. With that in mind, I never did the "Renouncement of Vietnamese Citizenship", do you think i can apply for the VN Passport? Just want to avoid all the hassle of getting Visa to enter VN each time. Any idea?

Cap Doi Ho Chieu Dinh Cu

Renouncement of Vietnamese Citizenship

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Are you a US citizen or not, most governments don't recognize "dual" citizenship.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

Also look under generally not allowed after US Naturalization here:

http://portal.cuny.edu/cms/id/cuny/documen...page/002891.htm

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

I dont think that list is entirely accurate. I have dual citizenship with US and Sweden. Right now I just have a US passport, but if I go to sweden or swedish consulate here, I can get a swedish passport as well.

Sweden changed thier laws to recognize dual citizenship in 2001: http://www.swedenabroad.com/Page____27944.aspx.

keTiiDCjGVo

Are you a US citizen or not, most governments don't recognize "dual" citizenship.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

Also look under generally not allowed after US Naturalization here:

http://portal.cuny.edu/cms/id/cuny/documen...page/002891.htm

Dual citizenship, displayed openly, is a sticky issue in many countries. With that said, it is mostly looked upon as a "don't ask - don't tell" arrangement.

One can hold dual citizenship virtually anywhere, if qualified to do so, provided that they don't tell the other country.

I know many people with the dual citizenship distinction. In fact, in my current job, I know one person pursuing a third passport.

Final advice, go for it!! :thumbs:

To the original OP, do you really want to subject yourself to the laws of an authoritarian and corrupt communist state for the sake of $100 visas?

Vietnamese laws are not the same as US laws, and you would open yourself up for all sort of unpleasantness like mandatory military draft.

It's fine to be a dual citizen say UK/US or US/Canadian. Most people want to leave Vietnam not become its citizens.

Timeline

OP answers you question: do I want to? the answer is NO.

However, IF you have not officially send the Vietnam Embassy or Consulate in DC/SF your "Renouncement of Vietnamese Citizenship", you are always a Vietnamese even if you carry a US Passport when you return to Vietnam. Therefore, there is always an option for the VN Govt. to "open yourself up for all sort of unpleasantness like mandatory military draft."

So, just a quick reminder to all of you Vietnamese Americans, make sure you have all your bases covered if you really paranoid like scy! Unless you were born in the US, you will always be a vietnamese citizen when you go back to Vietnam. I never said I don't want to be vietnamese citizen, I am a vietnamese american period! There are political differences but however you want to spin it, it's always the motherland to me and Philly has been my home for the most part of my life.

One can have two houses but only one home!

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm curious like Chuck too, but maybe for better reason. Of course my wife is not yet a U.S citizen, and her Viet passport has expired. How does she renew her Viet passport while living in the U.S so she can travel back to Vietnam?

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

I'm curious like Chuck too, but maybe for better reason. Of course my wife is not yet a U.S citizen, and her Viet passport has expired. How does she renew her Viet passport while living in the U.S so she can travel back to Vietnam?

She should be able to renew her passport at any Vietnamese embassy or consulate. Though I cant find any information on their website.

keTiiDCjGVo

OP answers you question: do I want to? the answer is NO.

However, IF you have not officially send the Vietnam Embassy or Consulate in DC/SF your "Renouncement of Vietnamese Citizenship", you are always a Vietnamese even if you carry a US Passport when you return to Vietnam. Therefore, there is always an option for the VN Govt. to "open yourself up for all sort of unpleasantness like mandatory military draft."

So, just a quick reminder to all of you Vietnamese Americans, make sure you have all your bases covered if you really paranoid like scy! Unless you were born in the US, you will always be a vietnamese citizen when you go back to Vietnam. I never said I don't want to be vietnamese citizen, I am a vietnamese american period! There are political differences but however you want to spin it, it's always the motherland to me and Philly has been my home for the most part of my life.

One can have two houses but only one home!

Here is a quote from the Department of State report on Vietnam human rights on this issue:

"The government generally permitted citizens who had emigrated abroad to return to visit. However, the government refused to allow some citizen activists living abroad to return. For example, exiled activist Pastor Paul Tran Dinh Ai was denied entry at Ho Chi Minh City airport in February when he attempted to visit his mother. By law the government considers anyone born in the country to be a citizen, even if the person has acquired another country's citizenship, unless a formal renunciation of citizenship has been approved by the president. However, in practice the government usually treated overseas Vietnamese as citizens of their adopted country. Emigrants were not permitted to use Vietnamese passports after they acquired other citizenship. The government generally encouraged visitation by such persons but sometimes monitored them carefully."

http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2006/78796.htm

There is a big difference between the Vietnamese government saying that you're its citizen versus you actually getting citizenship from Vietnam. They can not draft you into the military if you hold a US passport. But they surely can draft you if you become a Vietnamese citizen. And the US government can not do anything to help you if you become a Vietnamese citizen and is detained under Vietnamese law. That is why the State Department generally advises against having dual citizenship.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: American Samoa
Timeline

After reading the report, one should think twice about VN government and their action toward "Khu'c ruot ngan dam" .... the great ex-President Nguyen Van Thieu having a saying "Don't listen to what Communist says, WATCH what they'll do"

In any case, the US Consulate has very limited authority when you violate another country's law, even if you have only 1 Citizenship, so my best advice to you is.... whatever you do, do NOT mess with VN Communist!

Timeline

Thanh,

True, you can not break the laws in any country, especially in Vietnam, and especially when you don't have money to pay your way around it! About the citizenship, I only have one, and one only: USC. Just a quick reminder, we did leave VN for a reason, and we also returned to VN for a reason. Whatever it may be to you or me, we did return!

As for getting a passport to save money on the Visa but just to get in and out of Custom/Immigration at Tan-Son-Nhat is the motive behind this question. But, to think of it, like some of you mentioned, it is not worth the effort and time. As far as I'm concern, USC will get me in and out most places quicker than others.

Former-President NVThieu, what a joke he was! Read your history, corrupted and coward, left the country failed without a fight! No need to mention his name around here. Thanks to him, my dad was a POW for 12 yrs and more.

You got that right, don't mess with VC, they own VN for the past 32 years and years to come!!!

Timeline
Former-President NVThieu, what a joke he was! Read your history, corrupted and coward, left the country failed without a fight! No need to mention his name around here. Thanks to him, my dad was a POW for 12 yrs and more.

You got that right, don't mess with VC, they own VN for the past 32 years and years to come!!!

You know, there's a President Nguyen in Vietnam now. When it comes to Vietnam's presidents, it just a Nguyen-Nguyen situation!

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

02-July -04 NOA1

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

Timeline

HAHAHAHAHA Nguyen-Nguyen situation!!! :thumbs:

Timeline

I didn't make it up. I stole it from

, although he doesn't quite get to the part where he says it here.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

02-July -04 NOA1

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.