Major Kuma

question on letter of intent

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Why does everyone assume I'm the USC fiance? It was stated in my instructions as well, however, contra to the rude post above which referred to a "guide", my instructions did not mention that "I" had to have a new letter of intent as well.

No reason to be upset here. Most of the members ARE the USC. When you only describe yourself with the pronoun, "I". people will naturally conclude what comes naturally or seems most likely. If you want to ask a specific question, it is very helpful to provide the details needed to understand the context of your question.

Originally you asked quite harshly, "Why was I not told...?" but gave no indication who you thought should have told you or that "you" were the foreigner. Some naturally assumed you meant you received incomplete information here. If not, your question would have been rhetorical only. Certainly nobody here knows why anybody else did or didn't tell you anything.

The fact that the visa applicant is there for the interview, the oath they will take and the opportunity for the Consulare officer to ask directy, pretty much indicate they still plan to marry the USC. So an additional signed letter isn't really needed. The USC, on the other hand, may not have seen or communicated with the applicant after having filed the petition and is usually not present for the interview, so it is prudent to get a new affirmation that the intent to marry is intact, along with evidence the relationship has remained ongoing.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Why does everyone assume I'm the USC fiance? It was stated in my instructions as well, however, contra to the rude post above which referred to a "guide", my instructions did not mention that "I" had to have a new letter of intent as well.

No reason to be upset here. Most of the members ARE the USC. When you only describe yourself with the pronoun, "I". people will naturally conclude what comes naturally or seems most likely. If you want to ask a specific question, it is very helpful to provide the details needed to understand the context of your question.

Originally you asked quite harshly, "Why was I not told...?" but gave no indication who you thought should have told you or that "you" were the foreigner. Some naturally assumed you meant you received incomplete information here. If not, your question would have been rhetorical only. Certainly nobody here knows why anybody else did or didn't tell you anything.

The fact that the visa applicant is there for the interview, the oath they will take and the opportunity for the Consulare officer to ask directy, pretty much indicate they still plan to marry the USC. So an additional signed letter isn't really needed. The USC, on the other hand, may not have seen or communicated with the applicant after having filed the petition and is usually not present for the interview, so it is prudent to get a new affirmation that the intent to marry is intact, along with evidence the relationship has remained ongoing.

Thanks. I understand what you're saying. I thought I was being clear enough but I could have been more clear.

When I said, "why was I not told...?" I was referring to the Consulate not telling me something.

I agree with you. I thought all along that the fact that I show up for my interview means I still intend on marrying my fiancee. I was given the impression that that wasn't enough though.

I think I have to leave then, if most people on here are the USC they're going to think I am too. Thanks for your help.

I HATE miles, gallons, pints, words spelled without u's, and all that other jazz...

07/21/07 Entered United States on K1 visa

08/18 Married

10/20 Sent AOS package to Chicago; arrived on 10/22

11/21 Biometrics appointment

12/14 EAD card production ordered; AP approved

12/15 AOS transferred to CSC

12/22 AP arrives in mail

12/27 Received EAD in mail

02/15/08 Green Card production ordered

02/25 Received Welcome letter in mail

02/28 Green card arrived in mail. Done with USCIS for now

01/12/10 Sent I-751 to California Service Center; arrived on 1/14/2010

02/09 Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

03/08 Card production ordered

03/10 ROC approval letter arrives

03/15 Ten year Green card arrives

02/17/12 Mailed citizenship application

forget day Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

05/14 Interview and test in Indianapolis, Indiana

05/23 Received oath letter

06/15 Oath ceremony...end of the line.

I think I have to leave then, if most people on here are the USC they're going to think I am too. Thanks for your help.

No, no need to leave. There are plenty of non-USCs here (such as me, for example), but there are people posting here who forget that (for example, you will often see polls and thread topics that work on the assumption that everyone posting here is a USC petitioner rather than the foreign beneficiary... I've had a few people assume that I'm male, too, for some reason!), but they don't mean any harm by it and non-USCs are definitely welcome here. If you're asking a question it might help avoid irrelevant answers if you point out that you're the non-USC, if it's not obvious from what you say - or you'll likely get people telling you 'you need to send x, y and z to your fiancee' etc etc...

Good luck with the interview, by the way. :)

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

No, no need to leave. There are plenty of non-USCs here (such as me, for example), but there are people posting here who forget that (for example, you will often see polls and thread topics that work on the assumption that everyone posting here is a USC petitioner rather than the foreign beneficiary... I've had a few people assume that I'm male, too, for some reason!), but they don't mean any harm by it and non-USCs are definitely welcome here. If you're asking a question it might help avoid irrelevant answers if you point out that you're the non-USC, if it's not obvious from what you say - or you'll likely get people telling you 'you need to send x, y and z to your fiancee' etc etc...

Good luck with the interview, by the way. :)

Thank you. :) Congratulations to you.

I HATE miles, gallons, pints, words spelled without u's, and all that other jazz...

07/21/07 Entered United States on K1 visa

08/18 Married

10/20 Sent AOS package to Chicago; arrived on 10/22

11/21 Biometrics appointment

12/14 EAD card production ordered; AP approved

12/15 AOS transferred to CSC

12/22 AP arrives in mail

12/27 Received EAD in mail

02/15/08 Green Card production ordered

02/25 Received Welcome letter in mail

02/28 Green card arrived in mail. Done with USCIS for now

01/12/10 Sent I-751 to California Service Center; arrived on 1/14/2010

02/09 Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

03/08 Card production ordered

03/10 ROC approval letter arrives

03/15 Ten year Green card arrives

02/17/12 Mailed citizenship application

forget day Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

05/14 Interview and test in Indianapolis, Indiana

05/23 Received oath letter

06/15 Oath ceremony...end of the line.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

thanks, Yodrak. The FAQ is very helpful, but still not without confusing points. It pays to get first-hand experiences from zealous members such as you. really appreciate it :D

Ursa,

A statement of intent is required from both parties with the I-129f petition sent to the USCIS. A confirming statement may or may not be required of the USC at the time of the visa interview. Some consulates ask for one, others do not.

The statement can be in whatever format you wish to use. It need not be in a letter format.

Yodrak

The FAQ says both my fiance and I need to submit a letter of intent, stating we are willing to get married within 90 days of her entry. However, I do have a few questions, hoping someone can offer me some answers:

1. The sample letter from this website is for the fiance. Do I REALLY need to submit a copy of it as well?

2. The sample letter lists two different addresses, one for I-129F and the other for interview. I am just a little confused. If my fiance is summoned for an interview, does she need to bring the letter with her? I thought I was supposed to submit it when filing for I-129F.

3. The format of the letter. Do I need to keep the bold title that says "Fiance Letter of Intent" as shown in the sample? Or is the title merely there for our benefit?

Thanks.

-- Major Ursa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.