Major Kuma

question on letter of intent

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The FAQ says both my fiance and I need to submit a letter of intent, stating we are willing to get married within 90 days of her entry. However, I do have a few questions, hoping someone can offer me some answers:

1. The sample letter from this website is for the fiance. Do I REALLY need to submit a copy of it as well?

2. The sample letter lists two different addresses, one for I-129F and the other for interview. I am just a little confused. If my fiance is summoned for an interview, does she need to bring the letter with her? I thought I was supposed to submit it when filing for I-129F.

3. The format of the letter. Do I need to keep the bold title that says "Fiance Letter of Intent" as shown in the sample? Or is the title merely there for our benefit?

Thanks.

-- Major Ursa

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
The FAQ says both my fiance and I need to submit a letter of intent, stating we are willing to get married within 90 days of her entry. However, I do have a few questions, hoping someone can offer me some answers:

1. The sample letter from this website is for the fiance. Do I REALLY need to submit a copy of it as well?

2. The sample letter lists two different addresses, one for I-129F and the other for interview. I am just a little confused. If my fiance is summoned for an interview, does she need to bring the letter with her? I thought I was supposed to submit it when filing for I-129F.

3. The format of the letter. Do I need to keep the bold title that says "Fiance Letter of Intent" as shown in the sample? Or is the title merely there for our benefit?

Thanks.

-- Major Ursa

Yes you do. The letter IS for the fiancé, and both of you are fiancés yes? So both of you fill out one and sign it.

You submit a new letter of intent to the address to which the original petition is sent and another one with Packet 3 to the Consulate when it arrives.

The format...it's pretty simple and you can use the sample one or compose one yourself. The title is there merely for your benefit.

Edited by KarenCee

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Cool. Thanks. It makes a lot more sense now.

Thanks.

-- Major Ursa

Yes you do. The letter IS for the fiancé, and both of you are fiancés yes? So both of you fill out one and sign it.

You submit a new letter of intent to the address to which the original petition is sent and another one with Packet 3 to the Consulate when it arrives.

The format...it's pretty simple and you can use the sample one or compose one yourself. The title is there merely for your benefit.

Ok, I am the one going for the interview. Do I have to have another letter of intent as well? If so, how come I wasn't told that? This process is extremely frustrating and I'm tired of learning I need "this and that" when I wasn't told in the first place.

I HATE miles, gallons, pints, words spelled without u's, and all that other jazz...

07/21/07 Entered United States on K1 visa

08/18 Married

10/20 Sent AOS package to Chicago; arrived on 10/22

11/21 Biometrics appointment

12/14 EAD card production ordered; AP approved

12/15 AOS transferred to CSC

12/22 AP arrives in mail

12/27 Received EAD in mail

02/15/08 Green Card production ordered

02/25 Received Welcome letter in mail

02/28 Green card arrived in mail. Done with USCIS for now

01/12/10 Sent I-751 to California Service Center; arrived on 1/14/2010

02/09 Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

03/08 Card production ordered

03/10 ROC approval letter arrives

03/15 Ten year Green card arrives

02/17/12 Mailed citizenship application

forget day Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

05/14 Interview and test in Indianapolis, Indiana

05/23 Received oath letter

06/15 Oath ceremony...end of the line.

Timeline
Ok, I am the one going for the interview. Do I have to have another letter of intent as well? If so, how come I wasn't told that? This process is extremely frustrating and I'm tired of learning I need "this and that" when I wasn't told in the first place.

Joe...this is from the Guides section. The part you question is bolded and underlined. It has been there this whole time. As far as you "being told what you need" it's your responsibility to read these Guides and find out this information instead of relying on everyone to tell you what you need.

What to send to your fiance(e) once the I-129F is approved (Receive NOA2): 1. A copy of the entire I-129f package (that you made when you sent the petition in) and a copy of information that you sent back due to an RFE (if you received one). 2. Send all originals of the documentary proof that you submitted for the I-129F to your fiance(e) for their interview at the embassy. 3. Send an original letter affirming your desire to marry your fiance(e) and your continued support of the K-1 Visa. Sign and date the form. This will be similar to the letter you provided with the I-129F, but dated much closer to the interview (it will have most likely been several months since you submitted your I-129F). 4. I-134 Affidavit of Support form. Ensure it is notarized (by a US Notary Public), with all required supporting evidence. Begin collecting the required information ahead of time, as it can often take several weeks to collect it all. 5. You will likely need at a minimum (for the above form) two to three of your most recent pay stubs and a signed letter from your employer listing you job title, start date, your salary, and the status (full-time) of your position. Begin collecting these ASAP after your NOA2 arrives. You will also probably want to include other evidence such as your banking information and other assets as required by the I-134. Specifically you will need at least 2 of the 4 options mentioned in Section II-Supporting Evidence of the I-134. See this FAQ for more tips and ueful information on the Affidavit of Support Form. 6. A copy of the NOA2 that you received in the mail. 7. Proof of your ongoing relationship. This needs to be taken to the interview! Include photos, travel documents, emails, etc from between the time you filed and present (NOA1 date-now).

Examples: Copies of phone bills, cell phone bills, emails (you can edit personal info with a marker), letters (edit personal info also), stamps on the letters (to document the date they were sent), and other written documentary proof. Provide a reasonable amount; two to four of each type. Pick a range of dates up to and including the present. You can also include a copy of engagement ring receipt (this is something that is a big optional - do not worry if you do not have a ring yet!)

Edited by KarenCee

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yep, a new/updated letter of intent is required from the USC fiance when you go to the interview, and if I remember correctly, this requirement is stated in the package 4 letter -- at least it was in mine.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Joe...this is from the Guides section. The part you question is bolded and underlined. It has been there this whole time. As far as you "being told what you need" it's your responsibility to read these Guides and find out this information instead of relying on everyone to tell you what you need.

What to send to your fiance(e) once the I-129F is approved (Receive NOA2): 1. A copy of the entire I-129f package (that you made when you sent the petition in) and a copy of information that you sent back due to an RFE (if you received one). 2. Send all originals of the documentary proof that you submitted for the I-129F to your fiance(e) for their interview at the embassy. 3. Send an original letter affirming your desire to marry your fiance(e) and your continued support of the K-1 Visa. Sign and date the form. This will be similar to the letter you provided with the I-129F, but dated much closer to the interview (it will have most likely been several months since you submitted your I-129F). 4. I-134 Affidavit of Support form. Ensure it is notarized (by a US Notary Public), with all required supporting evidence. Begin collecting the required information ahead of time, as it can often take several weeks to collect it all. 5. You will likely need at a minimum (for the above form) two to three of your most recent pay stubs and a signed letter from your employer listing you job title, start date, your salary, and the status (full-time) of your position. Begin collecting these ASAP after your NOA2 arrives. You will also probably want to include other evidence such as your banking information and other assets as required by the I-134. Specifically you will need at least 2 of the 4 options mentioned in Section II-Supporting Evidence of the I-134. See this FAQ for more tips and ueful information on the Affidavit of Support Form. 6. A copy of the NOA2 that you received in the mail. 7. Proof of your ongoing relationship. This needs to be taken to the interview! Include photos, travel documents, emails, etc from between the time you filed and present (NOA1 date-now).

Examples: Copies of phone bills, cell phone bills, emails (you can edit personal info with a marker), letters (edit personal info also), stamps on the letters (to document the date they were sent), and other written documentary proof. Provide a reasonable amount; two to four of each type. Pick a range of dates up to and including the present. You can also include a copy of engagement ring receipt (this is something that is a big optional - do not worry if you do not have a ring yet!)

a) you can be a tad more respectful in your tone, thank you very much

B) When I say "what I was told" I am referring to my PACKET 3 INSTRUCTIONS, thank you very much

c) the "guide" is a hell of a lot different than my PACKET 3 INSTRUCTIONS, thank you very much

d) I don't "need everyone to tell me what I need" thank you very much. What I do ask for is clarification as to why the "guide" is so different than my PACKET 3 INSTRUCTIONS, thank you very much

Yep, a new/updated letter of intent is required from the USC fiance when you go to the interview, and if I remember correctly, this requirement is stated in the package 4 letter -- at least it was in mine.

I know that. I already have it. What I was asking is if "I" need to make a new letter of intent. Why does everyone assume I'm the USC fiance? It was stated in my instructions as well, however, contra to the rude post above which referred to a "guide", my instructions did not mention that "I" had to have a new letter of intent as well.

I HATE miles, gallons, pints, words spelled without u's, and all that other jazz...

08/18 Married

12/22 AP arrives in mail

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

Timeline

B) When I say "what I was told" I am referring to my PACKET 3 INSTRUCTIONS, thank you very much

c) the "guide" is a hell of a lot different than my PACKET 3 INSTRUCTIONS, thank you very much

d) I don't "need everyone to tell me what I need" thank you very much. What I do ask for is clarification as to why the "guide" is so different than my PACKET 3 INSTRUCTIONS, thank you very much

I know that. I already have it. What I was asking is if "I" need to make a new letter of intent. Why does everyone assume I'm the USC fiance? It was stated in my instructions as well, however, contra to the rude post above which referred to a "guide", my instructions did not mention that "I" had to have a new letter of intent as well.

I wasn't being rude...just stating the facts. Sorry you took it as such. Maybe you could have phrased YOUR post a bit different, hmmm?

I wasn't being rude...just stating the facts. Sorry you took it as such. Maybe you could have phrased YOUR post a bit different, hmmm?

I accept your apology. How differently could I have phrased my post? I thought I did it fairly accurately.

Oh never mind. I see how I could have done it more accurately. I am sorry as well. It was kind of vague.

08/18 Married

12/22 AP arrives in mail

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

Filed: Timeline

Ursa,

A statement of intent is required from both parties with the I-129f petition sent to the USCIS. A confirming statement may or may not be required of the USC at the time of the visa interview. Some consulates ask for one, others do not.

The statement can be in whatever format you wish to use. It need not be in a letter format.

Yodrak

Thanks.

-- Major Ursa

Filed: Timeline

KarenCee,

Note that the VJ Guides are not binding on the DOS and its' consulates. They are a distillation of anecdotal evidence that may or may not be fully accurate or universally applicable.

The VJ Guides should be understood for what they are - a general outline that gives one some things to think about in evaluating their own situation.

Yodrak

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We know that the REQUIREMENTS are different from consulate to consulate. The GUIDES that are posted here on VJ are generic and try to cover any/many potential different situations and/or consulates (K-Mart syndrome by trying to be all things to all people). Because of this, there may be an incredible amount of "noise" in the guides when compared to your consulate. Your individual consulate instructions will be your best source of specific requirements for YOUR consulate. However, you will not be "harmed" per se, if you provide (or come to the interview prepared with) more than what is specifically required by your consulates by following any of the additional suggestions from the guides.

Big difference between suggestions included in the VJ Guides and what is minimally required by a particular consulate.

YMMV

We know that the REQUIREMENTS are different from consulate to consulate. The GUIDES that are posted here on VJ are generic and try to cover any/many potential different situations and/or consulates (K-Mart syndrome by trying to be all things to all people). Because of this, there may be an incredible amount of "noise" in the guides when compared to your consulate. Your individual consulate instructions will be your best source of specific requirements for YOUR consulate. However, you will not be "harmed" per se, if you provide (or come to the interview prepared with) more than what is specifically required by your consulates by following any of the additional suggestions from the guides.

Big difference between suggestions included in the VJ Guides and what is minimally required by a particular consulate.

I originally thanked you for your post. However, you had to be a jerk to me so I take it back.

08/18 Married

12/22 AP arrives in mail

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

This is a confusing process to say the least. And alot of things are learned along the way. Thats why Visa Journey has the guides. To assist us in things that may come up. Things may be different than your packet 3 because additional information was maybe added that came up. These guides may save you tons of time and heartache because they are developed to cover things we may not have been TOLD by immigration we needed. People have run into all sorts of things in the interview and these forums and guides are there to help us avoid pitfalls. Things change so fast in this area. The guides may be different but invaluable. I'd go by your packet 3 information AND anything not listed in that packet but is in the guide...i'd add. Better safe then sorry. Good luck and God Bless

This is a confusing process to say the least. And alot of things are learned along the way. Thats why Visa Journey has the guides. To assist us in things that may come up. Things may be different than your packet 3 because additional information was maybe added that came up. These guides may save you tons of time and heartache because they are developed to cover things we may not have been TOLD by immigration we needed. People have run into all sorts of things in the interview and these forums and guides are there to help us avoid pitfalls. Things change so fast in this area. The guides may be different but invaluable. I'd go by your packet 3 information AND anything not listed in that packet but is in the guide...i'd add. Better safe then sorry. Good luck and God Bless

You're so right...it is a confusing process.

Thank you. Good luck and God bless you too.

08/18 Married

12/22 AP arrives in mail

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.