vnoe

vehicle question

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey there everyone!!!!!!!

Happy Hump Day!

So anyways, now that I'm getting down to the last details before driving across the border on my projected date of July 2 I have a question.

I contacted Daimler Chrysler to get a compliance letter for my van, but of course they won't give that out unless I can show them proof of immigration...so needless to say I sent a letter and a phone call to explain my immigration paperwork is in a nice sealed envelope and can't be opened until I arrive at the border...and then that is when I also need the letter from them. They told me they could not help me.

So I'm wondering what top secrets are included in this compliance letter that make it harder than getting a K1 Visa????

Has anyone had any luck with this?

Oh and I talked to the ND DMV today and they told me I would have to pay tax on my vehicle that I have owned for 3 years.....da heck is that all about. Apparently someone should have told me I had to be rich to marry/immigrate to the USA. Geesh

OK and not to mention the new fees for AOS.......which I'm busting a gut to try and get all the ppwk done immediately following our wedding on July 7 so I can avoid the new arm and leg fees. I need my arms and legs.

well that is all that I have on my mind for now!!!

anyone? ideas? suggestions?

:wacko::blink::wacko::blink::wacko::blink:

Oct 1/09 - I-751 package sent

Oct 3 - package delivered

Oct 5 - NOA mailed

Oct 13 - 1st NOA received and additional letters for my daughters I filed with. NOAs stated Resident Status

has been extended for 1 year and that we will be receiving a letter for an ASC appointment for

fingerprints, photo, and signature.

Dec 2009 - Received 10 year permanent resident card.

Feb 2010 - My children received their 10 year permanent resident cards.

Oct 2010 - My children were legally adopted by my USA Citizen husband.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

*staring blankly*

don't ya hate when you don't have a clue :lol:

but yeah, good question Vnoe ;)

Do you still have a copy of any of the NOA's or the interview letter?

How about the K1 in the passport?

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

That's really odd ... I just faxed to Honda last week requesting a compliance letter .. I had to fax to them my ownership and drivers license and I've received that letter back in a week no fees involved. This is what the letter says:

Dear Lynette ***********:

Thank you for contacting our office regarding your 2004 Civic Vehicle Identification number ************* purchased in Canada, which you plan to bring into the United States. The vehicle complies with EPA emission standards applicable for this year and model vehicle, at time of manufacture; however, it does not have U.S. EPA emissions lables.

The vehicle complies with applicable US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards except for labeling requirements, which include instrument panel differences.

Warranty assistance will be extended to Canadian residents relocating to the United States on a case-by-case basis. Canadian residents are required to provide proof that they were Canadian residents at the time they purchased their Honda, relocation documentation and proof that their Honda was originally registered for use in Canada.

Please contact our office at 1-800-999-1009 if you require further assistance.

Sincerely,

American Honda Motor Co., Inc

Did you try the following:

Chrysler Corporation

National Owner Relations Dept.

26001 Lawrence Avenue

Center Line, MI 48015-1231

USA: 1-800-992-1997

Customer Center

Canada: 1-800-465-2001

Hope this helps you out :)

Met in Cleveland 07/07/05 ... Fireworks!!!

Emails and phone calls until first visit back September '05

Many trips to Cleveland and overnight stays in New York

Engaged 05/07/06

07/18/07 - Interview yeeehaaa .. approved

07/26/07 - received Visa from Montreal (should have received 07/24)

07/26/07 - POE Buffalo, NY (Peace Bridge) .. No EAD stamp

07/27/07 - Beautiful marriage .. now you may call me Mrs. :)

07/28/07 - Filed AOS,EAD, and AP for me and AOS and AP for my son via UPS .. received 08/01

08/16/07 - applied for ssn

09/03/07 - received ssn card

11/07/07 - AP approved and received 11/12/07 :)

11/19/07- EAD approved online and received same day (actual approval 11/07/07) :)

12/27/07 - AOS transferred to CSC

02/26/08 - 485's approved without interview

01/14/09 - Sent I-751 - removal of conditions

02/23/10 - Biometrics

03/17/10 - Removal of conditions approved .. card production ordered

"Life is not measured by the amount of breaths that we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Same with Nissan, faxed it to me in minutes!! I ended up selling it prior to coming to the usa!! Someone else awhile back had the same problem, the manufacturer wanted proof, some even charge $$$. I think ford sometimes charges a fee!!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Flames, do you happen to remember how you contacted Nissan?

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

Timeline

i'm importing my car when i cross the border in a couple weeks time (pending my interview next week *crosses fingers*) and i had to get a compliance letter for mine too. i got the request form from Mazda several months ago, but faxed it in mid-May because they take a few weeks to send them out. it was emailed to me last week, no fees, no questions, nothing. maybe the difference with mine is because my car was manufactured in Japan for sale in Canada, instead of being manufactured in the US? i don't know, but i know i had no hassle whatsoever.

i also plan to cross at Pembina, North Dakota, and have actually called that border office a few times with various questions and the people i've spoken to have been generally quite helpful. initially i was told that i would have to pay duty on my car because it was manufactured outside north america (2.5-3%), but when i called just this past monday to confirm how much (i need to know how much cash to have on hand for this), the officer i was speaking with asked if i was importing the car permanently to the US. i said i was, and he then told me that i was allowed to import one vehicle to the country duty-free if i was moving there. if this truly is the case, i will be ecstatic - it's probably $300USD i can keep in my pocket and use for all the other registration, etc, fees after i move.

he did say when i cross to make sure to speak with a supervisor since they have a lot of new people there, and he emphasized this a few times. have no fear, i don't want some newbie (even though they have to learn sometime) screwing up my paperwork! but i think i might call back one more time just to confirm the whole duty/car thing; i don't want any surprises at that point.

First contact: Oct 14/06

First meeting: Nov 6-13/06

Engaged: Dec 29/06

Moved to US: June 28/07

Married: July 14/07

Timeline
Flames, do you happen to remember how you contacted Nissan?

For Vehicle importation guidlines (Imported from Canada) here is the website that includes all of the contacts for all manufacturers:

www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/VIG_Canada07032.html

Met in Cleveland 07/07/05 ... Fireworks!!!

Emails and phone calls until first visit back September '05

Many trips to Cleveland and overnight stays in New York

Engaged 05/07/06

07/18/07 - Interview yeeehaaa .. approved

07/26/07 - received Visa from Montreal (should have received 07/24)

07/26/07 - POE Buffalo, NY (Peace Bridge) .. No EAD stamp

07/27/07 - Beautiful marriage .. now you may call me Mrs. :)

07/28/07 - Filed AOS,EAD, and AP for me and AOS and AP for my son via UPS .. received 08/01

08/16/07 - applied for ssn

09/03/07 - received ssn card

11/07/07 - AP approved and received 11/12/07 :)

11/19/07- EAD approved online and received same day (actual approval 11/07/07) :)

12/27/07 - AOS transferred to CSC

02/26/08 - 485's approved without interview

01/14/09 - Sent I-751 - removal of conditions

02/23/10 - Biometrics

03/17/10 - Removal of conditions approved .. card production ordered

"Life is not measured by the amount of breaths that we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Timeline

bookmarked, thanks :)

Oh and I talked to the ND DMV today and they told me I would have to pay tax on my vehicle that I have owned for 3 years.....da heck is that all about. Apparently someone should have told me I had to be rich to marry/immigrate to the USA. Geesh
You will have to pay the ND state tax when you go to insure it. It's the same if you where to purchase a vehicle in another province and when you go to register it in your province you would be paying the Manitoba or in your case the Sask sales tax.

You don't have to import your vehicle the same day you get activate your visa.....ah never mind.... you are on K1 and won't be going back to Canada. I was thinking you are close enough that you could do your visa activation and then send Chrysler your proof of immigration and then return to Canada and import it on another day. I guess that will not work for you with the K1.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here in CT the town we lived in charged you $150 per YEAR for property tax on your vehicle. THat's in addition to the state taxes charged when you purchase the vehicle..

It's a racket all this tax.. BAH!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
You will have to pay the ND state tax when you go to insure it. It's the same if you where to purchase a vehicle in another province and when you go to register it in your province you would be paying the Manitoba or in your case the Sask sales tax.

You don't have to import your vehicle the same day you get activate your visa.....ah never mind.... you are on K1 and won't be going back to Canada. I was thinking you are close enough that you could do your visa activation and then send Chrysler your proof of immigration and then return to Canada and import it on another day. I guess that will not work for you with the K1.

i'm crossing the border at manitoba/north dakota but i will be living in kansas. i checked with the local DMV and they said that because i've owned the vehicle for almost 4 years (ie, didn't purchase it out of state instead of buying in state) i don't have to pay tax on the car, which is a big relief. however, kansas is one of those wonderful few states that charges property tax on vehicles... which means i still will be paying almost $200 to register my car for the year, on top of having to take a drivers' test, license, etc. i've had a custom plate for years on my car and want to keep it the same; here in alberta the cost is $200 but in kansas it's only $40. at least i win in one circumstance...

First contact: Oct 14/06

First meeting: Nov 6-13/06

Engaged: Dec 29/06

Moved to US: June 28/07

Married: July 14/07

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Same here in VA, one pays property tax on vehicles every yr!! Plus one has to get them inspected every yr, and emissions tested every 2nd yr!! So silly that a brand new car and to get inspected!!! I could understand if older cars, say 5 yrs and older, but brand new, just a $$ grabber!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

thanks for all the great answers...

I did try the numbers for Daimler. But now I will try and see if they will accept some of the correspondence from the US Consulate etc....never thought of that.

I guess I just don't see why anyone has to pay tax on something they own and are bringing them as their own personal goods....yup...its a racket!!!

I had thought about selling my van, but now that there will be 6 of us we definitely need the van so we can all fit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~the joys of moving.

OK, one piece of good news is that I have sold my home here. That was a worry, but yeah yeah yeah....no more.

thanks again

:dance:

Oct 1/09 - I-751 package sent

Oct 3 - package delivered

Oct 5 - NOA mailed

Oct 13 - 1st NOA received and additional letters for my daughters I filed with. NOAs stated Resident Status

has been extended for 1 year and that we will be receiving a letter for an ASC appointment for

fingerprints, photo, and signature.

Dec 2009 - Received 10 year permanent resident card.

Feb 2010 - My children received their 10 year permanent resident cards.

Oct 2010 - My children were legally adopted by my USA Citizen husband.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.