workin4somethin

bummer...

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I grabbed a pair of trousers from my clean laundry this morning and felt something within one of the pockets. It felt like one of my checkbooks. I reached in and pulled out what remains of my passport.

WHAT A BUMMER!!! :o

Not that this will prohibit me from going to Russia in a few weeks, but, man….

WHAT A BUMMER!!! :wacko:

Someone, please tell me you've “been there, done that.”

from Andrew

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

oh that sucks.

5-2005/ met online

11-4-2005/ went to see him in republic of georgia

11-25-2005 returned home

01-17-2006/ sent I129F to <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->nsc<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02-->

01-23-2006/ packet was recieved and signed for

01-23-2006 / NOA 1

01-26-2006/ check was cashed

01-31-2006/ recieved NOA 1 in mail

03-23-2006/ NOA 2 - oh yeah

03-27-2006/ touched

03-30-2006/ recieved NOA 2 in mail

04-07-2006-petition was sent to nvc

04-19-2006/petition got entered into nvc system recieved case number

05-30-2006/ interview date ( yahoo)

05-30-2006/he was put on a/p

sorry .... but i can happily report that i've never washed my passport! :lol:

at least it's not that much for an expedited passport! :thumbs:

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

That sucks but I think you can apply for an emergency replacement, of course it will cost you

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Oh man, hope it's not too messed up. I would assume if there's damage to it, you'll have to pay a "special fee" when you go to Russia. May be cheaper to get it replaced before you go.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I have to also reply that I have never washed my passport :P

I have washed my wallet before but nothing really got damaged.

Was the visa to Russia already in your passport?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I grabbed a pair of trousers from my clean laundry this morning and felt something within one of the pockets. It felt like one of my checkbooks. I reached in and pulled out what remains of my passport.

Not a big deal. I destroyed one a few years ago, two days before I was to leave for Germany. I went to the passport office (in the Federal building in Boston). They made a new one the same day. Might be harder now, but shouldn't be that bad. A consulate overseas can usually make one the same day as well, maybe faster. You won't have a problem leaving the states, so you could even get it replaced in Moscow (assuming it is in good enough condition for the Russians to let you in.)

My current one is in pretty rough shape - probably time for a new one.

If the picture page in it is okay, you might get away with just having visa pages added.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Not that this will prohibit me from going to Russia in a few weeks, but, man….

WHAT A BUMMER!!! :wacko:

Someone, please tell me you've “been there, done that.”

My hubby did exactly the same thing! :lol: Right before we traveled to Paris, he didn't replace it and I was surprised he didn't get in trouble for having such a horrible passport :lol:

Timeline

Thanks for the friendly comments and suggestions!

I am planning to go to Russia in 3 weeks. The bummer is that I have to do all these steps, which I would not have to do, if I had not washed my passport: (1) go through the process of getting a new visa, including new photos and a visit to the local acceptance agent; then, (2) get another invitation from Russia; then, (3) get another visa; and then, (4) register the visa once in Russia. My previous Russian visa was a 12-month multi-entry visa, and I would not have to re-register it until the following trip to Russia (June or later).

Now, because of the time crunch, I am going to acquire a tourist visa for the trip which is in 3 weeks. I will follow that in May with the acquisition of a business visa.

I suppose that I will give in to getting a protective case of some type to keep my passport within. :idea:

from Andrew

Couldn't you contact the Russian embassy to have your visa reissued?

As far as passport protection, I use a small ziplock type bag for my passport. It's pretty thick plastic, not like a sandwich bag or anything, and I can't remember where I got it from, I just remember seeing it and thinking it would be a good protector for my passport. However, it did break at the bottom, so I'm in the market for a new passport protector too. I'll probably just go with the sandwich bag next time. Cheap and effective. And, oh yeah.... it's waterproof!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
Couldn't you contact the Russian embassy to have your visa reissued?

As far as passport protection, I use a small ziplock type bag for my passport. It's pretty thick plastic, not like a sandwich bag or anything, and I can't remember where I got it from, I just remember seeing it and thinking it would be a good protector for my passport. However, it did break at the bottom, so I'm in the market for a new passport protector too. I'll probably just go with the sandwich bag next time. Cheap and effective. And, oh yeah.... it's waterproof!

As long as your damaged passport is somewhat legible, the visas in it should be fine. Ask the passport office to return your old passport (there will probably be a hole punched through it.) Visas are typically accepted even in an expired passport.

I know that is is okay for US visas.

Since you already have the Russian visa, I don't see why they wouldn't put a new one in your new passport (try to send them the old one too). Being Russia, I'm sure they will charge you...

Timeline

Okay… I visited the acceptance agent today; and, after looking at my passport, the agent asked why I want a new one. She said she thought the pages of mine look pretty good, except where they had separated from the cover.

After some discussion (and strongly considering all the freakin’ effort it takes to get the passport, get the invitation, get the visa, and to get it registered), I have decided to try to glue the cover onto the pages where it has separated. The binding remains in place, so my only worry is whether the glue will hold and/or bleed through the inside pages of the front and back covers. Oh yeah! – and whether the person at the Sheremetyevo customs booth will allow me to pass through.

I’ve ironed out the passport (by hand), and I’ve got it sitting under a heavy weight to help flatten it out again. I’ll try the glue later this evening and wait to see how it turns out by morning. If this works, I will truly be surprised. Who knows? Maybe I’ll try quilting or needlework next... ;)

The things we do for love!

from Andrew

Timeline

The glue seems to have worked, although my passport looks a little odd as the cover is a smidgen smaller now than it was before it was laundered; and so the pages within the passport are slightly larger than the cover. However, I will arrive in Russia in a few weeks and hope that I’m not held up at customs. [i’ve been in worse situations.]

I realize some of my peers in this forum expect me to become all artsy and craftsy now that I have a glue stick. Sorry folks, but an old duct tape pro like my self could never acquiesce to a less versatile repair buddy.

By the way, I received the I-797 (NOA1), for my I-130, today. SWEET! :dance:

For me, the week is ending much better than it began. I hope yours does too!

from Andrew

Timeline
The glue seems to have worked, although my passport looks a little odd as the cover is a smidgen smaller now than it was before it was laundered; and so the pages within the passport are slightly larger than the cover. However, I will arrive in Russia in a few weeks and hope that I'm not held up at customs. [i've been in worse situations.]

Mine is pretty beat up (about 200 visa stamps I would guess) - no one has said anything. I think you will be fine.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.