HannahP

How did you guys meet?

55 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Okay, both my fiancee and I enjoy computer games. In fact, we were playing them long before it become "trendy" to do so (such as with Myst or World of Warcraft or The Sims and other high-profile games) back in the 1980s, mostly with the Sierra On-Line's adventure game series.

(off topic) What was your favourite Sierra game back in the day? I was a King's Quest fan...

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Okay, both my fiancee and I enjoy computer games. In fact, we were playing them long before it become "trendy" to do so (such as with Myst or World of Warcraft or The Sims and other high-profile games) back in the 1980s, mostly with the Sierra On-Line's adventure game series.

(off topic) What was your favourite Sierra game back in the day? I was a King's Quest fan...

It'd be very difficult for me pin down one (and only one) Sierra game as my absolute favorite, since I enjoyed so many of them; some more than others, depending on my mood at the time. So to answer your question, Misa, I guess I could say my favorite Sierra series are: Space Quest, Gabriel Knight, Police Quest and Quest for Glory.

Again, if I had to choose only ONE game, that would be very hard, but... I suppose it would be Police Quest II, which would probably surprise a lot of Sierra fans. It wasn't a particularly successful sequel nor did it have "the best storyline ever," but something about it just worked. Maybe it's the nostalgia of EGA (16-color) graphics and typing in commands or perhaps it was the weird ability to walk everywhere holding my gun out (which didn't seem to bother anybody, except at the airport -- yes, even in 1988, they didn't like people running around with firearms at airports!).

By the way... if you still have any of your old Sierra games (or any DOS game, really), you can still play them on current computers using DOSBox, which emulates a pure DOS environment. It's pretty cool and fairly easy to use too.

Although DOSBox can be used with old LucasArts games, it's recommend that you use ScummVM instead, which I actually think is better than DOSBox anyway, since it can improve the graphics of the game some and add other enhancements.

Anyway... this post has gone way off-topic. Sorry about that. I just get involved. ;)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh, I loved Gabriel Knight 1 and 2. I never did get around to playing 3 though. I have the KQ anniversary set of all the games as well. I remember playing KQ1 on an old XT with a green monochrome monitor! Ooops, we hijacked the thread. :P

Back on topic! :D

I met my husband on a messageboard... not a dating site or a gaming site. :) I'm the resident ###### there and he's the resident jerk. We're perfect for each other!

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I met my husband on a messageboard... not a dating site or a gaming site. :) I'm the resident ###### there and he's the resident jerk. We're perfect for each other!

Haha that is the story of my life. I was the messageboard queen and my husband came to overthrow me!!! :( haha

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Well, my fiancee and I live only four miles apart. We met on a blind date. My brother was dating a Canadian chick, and asked if I wanted to meet a friend of his girlfriend. I had already had plans for that night, so I said no. Two weeks later, he asks me again, and yeah, I had plans that weekend, too (I'm a huge Ren Fest nerd, and it was faire season), but I figured, ah, I'm lonely and have been single for a fair bit, worst thing would be I'm tired the next day, and I might actually have some fun. Well, we hit it off really well, but I didn't call her until probably the next Tuesday or so. But, we've been more or less inseparable ever since.

Adjustment of Status / EAD / AP
Day 000: 2007-12-27 Mailed Application
Day 002: 2007-12-29 Received at Chicago Lockbox
Day 003: 2007-12-30 "Received Date"
Day 007: 2008-01-03 All 5 NOAs (K1 + K2 AOS, K1 EAD, K1 + K2 AP)
Day 008: 2008-01-04 K-2 AOS Touched
Day 011: 2008-01-07 $1610 Check cleared
Day 011: 2008-01-07 All 5 physical NOAs received
Day 012: 2008-01-08 K-1 files Touched, but not K-2
Day 014: 2008-01-10 K-2 AP Touched
Day 016: 2008-01-12 Biometrics Appt. Letter Received
Day 029: 2008-01-25 Biometrics Appt.
Day 043: 2008-02-08 K-2 Notice of interview received
Day 044: 2008-02-09 K-1 Notice of interview received
Day 056: 2008-02-21 APs approved and EAD card production ordered
Day 126: 2008-05-01 Interviews
-----------------------------------------------------------
K1/K2 Application
Day 000: 2007-03-16 Sent out I-129F Package
Day 012: 2007-03-28 NOA1
Day 082: 2007-06-06 NOA2
Day 103: 2007-06-27 NVC Received
Day 105: 2007-06-29 NVC Forwarded to Montreal
Day 117: 2007-07-11 Montreal Sends Packet 3
Day 125: 2007-07-19 Receive Packet 3
Day 129: 2007-07-23 Send Checklist and Forms Back
Day 131: 2007-07-25 Montreal Receives Packet 3
Day 137: 2007-07-31 Medical
Day 169: 2007-09-01 "Wedding" (aka the $10K party)
Day 192: 2007-09-24 Receive "Packet 4" (Interview letter)
Day 238: 2007-11-09 Interview in Montreal
Day 245: 2007-11-16 Visas Received
Day 248: 2007-11-19 Moved to USA
Day 249: 2007-11-20 Legal wedding

Filed: Timeline
Since Canada is much closer to the US -- I wonder if we'll have more diversity in meeting online vs. meeting in person?

The boy and I met in person as teenagers. We both attended aerospace camp at the University of North Dakota.

I was the girl with the blue hair and he was the boy with the Hot Topic clothing. Although we're both pretty introverted and, well, socially retarded, we fell in together almost immediately. I had never felt so comfortable with someone else before.

By the end of the two weeks at camp, we were known as an "item" by everyone else. :lol: (The camp ratio was two girls to 28 boys, so, yeah.) We held hands. I fell asleep and drooled all over his shoulder during a movie. The other girl at camp -- my roommate -- kept saying that I had to kiss him before we departed, but said departure was hectic and we barely got to say goodbye.

After camp, we chatted online for a few months. Then we lost contact for nearly a year. One night, on a whim, I decided to email him. By this time, he was in the states attending university. Within the month, he took the Greyhound down to see me.

He would take the bus down every six-eight weeks and stay for a few days. After I graduated highschool, I went up to be with him and we lived together for two years after that.

---

We beat a lot of odds. A long-distance relationship as a teenager? Meeting, by chance, at camp? (He was supposed to attend camp the previous year, but his parents grounded him at the last moment. When I enrolled, I got the last spot.) etc. Also, having lived together for several years, we have already conquered the honeymoon period that eventually ruins many international relationships. (In mah opinion, anyway.)

Anyway. Whatever. I want to hear ya'alls stories!

Hehe, what a great how-we-met story! :)

We met on the now-defunct humour website Brunching Shuttlecocks, through one of their infamous webtoys... :innocent:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I was a single dad, my 15 yr old daughter lived with me, 12 yr old daughter lived with my ex, so I didnt go out often. She was a single mom with a 9 yr old daughter and a 6 yr old son. I started chatting on yahoo just to kill time in the evening. My oldest daughter and her friends thought I should change my ID to "Sexy Dad" so I did. I was chatting one night @ Dec 23, 2003 when she noticed my ID and thought "What kind of cocky ####### calls himself that?" she actually told me this. She messaged me just to see.

We chatted a few months about kids and stuff. I was thinking about riding my Harley up to see her later in the year. But, Memorial weekend was coming up and I going to put my Trans Am in a burnout contest so I asked her if she wanted to come down and ride with me. I picked her up in Oklahoma City and took her out to eat at Zio's in OKC before I drove her back home. The waitress that attended us was noticing how we were looking at each other and asked "When is the wedding?". You could have knocked her over with a feather when we told her we had just met. LOL The next day we did the burnout and had a blast. When it was time for her to leave I took her back to OKC to fly out. After I watched her plane leave, I felt the greatest sense of loss that I have ever felt!!! I called her home phone and left a LONG message on there telling her how I felt.

When she heard the message, she called and we talked for a long time. We decided we would like to see how our kids got along together and planned a trip to Toronto in July. The kids got along pretty good. I got her in the courtyard at the motel and got down on my knees and proposed to her.

We filed for K-1 in May 2005. Interviewed in Montreal on Oct 5, 2005. Flew to Oklahoma on Oct 6. We got married in Las Vegas on Dec 24, 2005. And here we are, still happy as can be. I love her even more each and every day.

Edited by rooster

Timeline

awwww...that's a great story.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

OMG, favorite Sierra game is easy, Leisure Suit Larry. Started out playing the first one on an amber monochrome monitor. (Hated the green ones) Unfortunately the LSL that they put out a couple of years ago was one of the worst excuses for a computer game I have ever seen and it took away some of the endearment the games had.

Back on thread...

I already mentioned that we met on World of Warcraft. I proposed to her on my birthday. I ask her if she would mind giving me one more present. I then got on my knee and pulled the ring out from under the couch where I had hidden it earlier and ask her to be my wife. She graciously agreed. (Well after the initial shock wore off) :) It was the best birthday present I ever have or ever could get.

Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Alright.....to be original, we ALSO met in World of warcraft! ^_^

Kinda like Nini & bee, my now ex bought me the game at its release in November 2004. I was with him for 7 years and we had just moved in together in an appartment at the beginning of November. He had talk to me about this friggin game since the 4 previous years and I was sick and tired of it. But I love horses and he showed me you could ride a horse in it and made me try it during the beta so I kinda wanted to try it. Turned out he was with his friend, about 15 lvl above me and was always leaving me on my own.... :angry:

I was a NE hunter on my own at lvl 23 (Mephys) chasing Ogres in Wetlands when this chick human rogue named Firebird asked me if I could help her to kill the mobs. I said yes and that night we played for about 8 hours together. It is rare to find a good team mate in these games and we really enjoyed playing together. We kept playing together and few months later I joined his guild. I knew he was married with kids and he knew i had someone, but we were spending about 6-8 hours everynight playing together, flirting too. I may sound silly, but my heart was racing whenever he would log in and that even before I saw his picture or saw him on the webcam. :luv: We were simply talking on Teamspeak and his voice was just infatuating me so bad.

We moved on to a webcam relationship in parallel with the game, and both of us being in a bad relationship at the moment we knew there was something going on between us. So many similarities, so many things in common. I just couldnt stop thinking about him. I told him one day I was missing him more than just to play with him in WoW, and that i had feelings for him, and if he wanted to stop talking to me I would understand, I didnt want to ruin his life and his marriage. On my side, I had decided that I didnt want that life anymore and if I could be in love with someone else, meant that it was pretty much over with my ex, so I left him. Meanwhile he decided to divorce his wife cause he couldnt stand her anymore, their relationship was going nowhere and he was pretty much just staying for the kids.

We met half way between Chicago and Montreal, in Niagara Falls on November 12 2005. An hour after we were together in the hotel, we went outside to get my bag in my car and we were already walking holding hands like we had been together forever. :wub: The week after we both went back home, he bought me that fake ring in WoW, Diamond solitaire, with the writting "Marry me" on it for 50g, and a wedding gown in the Auction house. He proposed me in the game next to that beautiful fountain on Teldrassil :wub: Thats the first time I discovered you could actually make the toon kneel down in the game.:P What he wrote then made me cry.... :cry:

Firebird-Mephys.jpg

He officialy proposed me in August 2006 after his divorce was completed when I went to visit him for his birthday, and we sent the K-1 application at the same time. The rest is pretty much the immigration process and the long distance webcam relationship. We married on May 12 2007 on our 18 months anniversary :)

We have been proposing each other almost everyday, and we still do....Marry me!!!! Again and again! :wub:

Edited by Mephys

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.