Nancy2015

Graduate School

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi :)

I'm going to start working on my Master's degree next year, and I need some help :)

There should be members here who hold a Russian degree and who went to grad school in the U.S. (Blues Fairy, you may be one of them!). What did you guys do with the transcripts? The Universities I will be applying to want the transcripts - with translations! - to be sent directly from my school, and although I know I can arrange that, it's gonna be a major hassle.

Does anyone know if it's okay to just bring the degree and the original mark sheet with translations to the admissions office, and have them make copies and do whatever they want with them? I contacted schools and asked about it, apparently they had no clue. Maybe I should have gone to international admissions, they seem to be more versed in foreign credentials requirements...

Anyways, if anyone has ever done that and can share experience, thanks heaps!

Edited by Jewel12

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

There should be members here who hold a Russian degree and who went to grad school in the U.S. (Blues Fairy, you may be one of them!). What did you guys do with the transcripts? The Universities I will be applying to want the transcripts - with translations! - to be sent directly from my school, and although I know I can arrange that, it's gonna be a major hassle.

I simply translated my diploma into English and sent in both the photocopy and translation. In your case, it's probably a good idea to add an explanatory note that schools in Russia do not provide translated transcripts directly to schools in the U.S.

The folks in the office of international programs are indeed more understanding as a rule.

Aug 2003 first icebreaker ;-)

2003 - 2006 letters, letters, letters

Aug 2006 met at regatta in Greece

03/20/2007 I-129f mailed to TSC

08/06/2007 NOA-2, 118 days from the 1st notice.

10/24/2007 Interview in Moscow, visa approved

12/06/2007 Entered at JFK, got EAD stamp.

01/25/2008 Married in St. Augustine, FL

02/19/2008 AOS package mailed

09/30/2008 AOS interview - APPROVED!

10/11/2008 Green card in the mail

01/14/2009 Our little girl, Fiona Elizabeth, was born on Jan. 14, 2009 :-)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Does anyone know if it's okay to just bring the degree and the original mark sheet with translations to the admissions office, and have them make copies and do whatever they want with them? I contacted schools and asked about it, apparently they had no clue. Maybe I should have gone to international admissions, they seem to be more versed in foreign credentials requirements...

It can be done, and it isn't a big deal. Check with the graduate admissions office of the school you are applying to. They will tell you what they need. It will be different at different schools. In our case, they wanted the diploma and transcript sent to a foreign degree certifying company.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Timeline

Thank you, guys. I'll bug these schools some more, I'm sure I can work it all out.

Filed AOS from F-1

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Latvia
Timeline

I bet its up to school what they will accept!

Good luck to you! :dance:

What do you study?

Edited by Twomoles

07/29/2006 – I-129 sent to Vermont

08/04/2006 - NOA1

08/28/2006 - NOA2 - approved

09/01/2006 - NVC - approved

09/07/2006 - Warsaw embassy sent packet 3 (damn post services, never received any)

09/18/2006 - packet 3 sent (Nothing fails)

09/27 - received packet 4

10/10 - medical exam

10/19 - INTERVIEW!

10/20 - received visa

11/7 - arrived in USA, POE YFK

1/19 - Married

02/23/2007 - Civil Surgeon (checked just vaccines for $ 25)

05/04/2007 - AOS package sent to Chicago

05/11/2007 - NOA1

05/15/2007 - NOA2 - ASC appointment letter about biometrics

05/24/2007 - RFE about tax forms w-2 and 1099!!!

06/05/2007 - Biometrics

21/06/2007 - NOA3 - Transfered to California

10/07/2007 - AOS approved, card production ordered!!!

19/07/2007 - Half year marriage anniversary - GC arrives!!!

07/08/2009 - Package sent (My cover letter 40 peaces of evidence)

07/14/2009 - check was cashed

07/10/2009 - NOA 1 received, GK extended for a year

07/17/2009 - received biometrics letter with my case number

08/06/2009 - scheduled biometrics appointment

11/16/2009 - approval

12/01/2009 - touched - card production ordered

2/26/2010 - got ten year card

No more departures!!!

No more typing!!!

Ne mirkli Tu neesi atstājis manas domas,

Tā, ka manas domas aizmirsa pat aizmirstību.

Mīļotais ir ienācis manā teltī,

Un mana sirds ir mulsas pārņemta.

Timeline
I bet its up to school what they will accept!

Good luck to you! :dance:

What do you study?

Thanks! :)

I was going to get an M.A. in Public Administration, since I work in the public sector, but I still have to make up my mind - I'm interested in law too, and was considering getting a paralegal certificate. I'm not sure about the job market for paralegals in the Bay Area though, and we were thinking of moving out of here in a few years, so I may as well go for the M.A., since it's not very job-specific :)

Filed AOS from F-1

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm going to start working on my Master's degree next year, and I need some help :)

Yeah, go to international admissions office. There they would at least know what the whole thing was about and how to deal with it. They will tell you where they want it translated and evaluated (I mean a school usually has a bunch of agencies that this school likes to do this kind of thing with) But it's not a big deal if it's not sent directly from your uni in Russia (wasn't in my case)

Edited by CityCat

Timeline
I'm interested in law too, and was considering getting a paralegal certificate. I'm not sure about the job market for paralegals in the Bay Area though, and we were thinking of moving out of here in a few years, so I may as well go for the M.A., since it's not very job-specific :)
Job market is pretty good for paralegals in the Bay Area. Considering that so many firms would rather get a paralegal (cheaper) who pretty much does attorney work and who they do not ever have to make partner. That said, they probably prefer to hire a law school graduate who can't pass the bar or can't find a job as an attorney. I know a few of them.

I know a few of them.

We'll see in May/June 2008, huh?

(You're going to be an excellent lawyer, Satellite. Good luck on the bar! Can't wait to see your posts next year - "I am a lawyer, and this is legal advice..... now you all owe me $385. I accept PayPal.")

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
I'm interested in law too, and was considering getting a paralegal certificate. I'm not sure about the job market for paralegals in the Bay Area though, and we were thinking of moving out of here in a few years, so I may as well go for the M.A., since it's not very job-specific :)
Job market is pretty good for paralegals in the Bay Area. Considering that so many firms would rather get a paralegal (cheaper) who pretty much does attorney work and who they do not ever have to make partner. That said, they probably prefer to hire a law school graduate who can't pass the bar or can't find a job as an attorney. I know a few of them.

Well, going to law school and working as a paralegal afterwards kinda sucks.

I may stick with Public Administration after all.

Filed AOS from F-1

Timeline
"I am a lawyer, and this is legal advice..... now you all owe me $385. I accept PayPal.")
By the time I get my license my wife should have her citizenship (or so I assume considering they are going to charge us an arm and a leg for it), and I can officially retire from VJ to avoid the conflict of interest. Don't see myself doing pro bono when I consider the kind of student debt I am straddled under. Congress needs a kick in the butt for that. Why do home buyers get a better rate (4-6%) these last couple of years and students get stafford loans at (6.8% and grad plus loans at 8.5%)? While the war in Iraq is fully funded. Okay that was my political rant of the day. Seems like we care little about the future.

"I am a lawyer, and this is legal advice..... now you all owe me $385. I accept PayPal.")
By the time I get my license my wife should have her citizenship (or so I assume considering they are going to charge us an arm and a leg for it), and I can officially retire from VJ to avoid the conflict of interest. Don't see myself doing pro bono when I consider the kind of student debt I am straddled under. Congress needs a kick in the butt for that. Why do home buyers get a better rate (4-6%) these last couple of years and students get stafford loans at (6.8% and grad plus loans at 8.5%)? While the war in Iraq is fully funded. Okay that was my political rant of the day. Seems like we care little about the future.

I'm going to miss you, Satellite. But, here's the good news... you can still come on VJ as long as you don't talk about immigration issues. You'll avoid the conflicts of interest just fine if you stick to things like home/student loans and the war in Iraq. There are plenty of posts that need doin' on those issues.

You may mess up your chances for public office though. Don't talk bad about W and 'nem if you ever want to be district att.... wait a minute. A guy b!tching about student loan rates would never work directly for the government. Go ahead, blast 'em all!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• 3 months later...
Filed: Timeline

When I applied a few years back, schools in SoCal required official transcript in the envelope sealed by the undergrad institution. It had to come with the translation as well, so I had to order one extra transcript, translate it to English here and send it along. Another thing is that they said university itself would evaluate the transcript and the degree. In the result they ruined up my GPA by treating “passed” (zachet) marks as D. So I would recommend writing an explanation for them what “passed” means and why there are so many of them. Also, they sometimes have a misconception about the names of the subjects as they have a different nomenclature here. Brief descriptions of the key courses would help them to match it with the corresponding subjects in their educational program.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.