happylove

what counts as income?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Iraq
Timeline

On the I-134, q # 7, it asks for annual income. Aside from employment from a job, in this section can I include all assistance that I get from the Housing Assistance program? Do I also include my investment income? In other words, do I combine these incomes and put one amount ? Also, does one time each year energy assistance help to pay the cost of heating count as income too? Thanks for any help!

Primarly your income would include what you make from a job. But if thats not enough, you can include other assets such as investments. Im not sure I would count investment income as income, but rather the value of your investments as assets.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I would guess that if it shows up on your income tax statement it is income. Investment income sure. If someone had 5 million in a money market acct and was collecting $ 250,000 a year in interest but had no job I am sure they would not question the income.

Heating assistance, Rebates on taxes, rebates on the new computer you bought, lottery winnings, cash money from mowing lawns, all that, NO.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I would guess that if it shows up on your income tax statement it is income. Investment income sure. If someone had 5 million in a money market acct and was collecting $ 250,000 a year in interest but had no job I am sure they would not question the income.

Heating assistance, Rebates on taxes, rebates on the new computer you bought, lottery winnings, cash money from mowing lawns, all that, NO.

Well, if you report your cash money earnings from mowing lawns on your tax return, it counts. On the surface, the OP's question about counting government assistance as income, indicates they will need a joint sponsor, unless their employment income meets the minimum requirements. Bear in mind the whole purpose of any affidavit of support is to satisfy the concern that the potential immigrant will become a public charge. This sponsor is already a public charge, so cannot demonstrate their sponsorship will help an immigrant avoid becoming a similar burden on the taxpayer.

I would think court ordered child support that is actually being received and is verifiable would count as income, even though it is not reported on one's taxes. (The payor already paid taxes on the income from which the child support is paid.)

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline

LandofTreesWoman,

Income needs to be spendable, sustainable, and documentable.

Your heating assistance may be OK, not sure about the housing assistance - may depend on what program it comes from and the form in which it comes. One thing is certain - the officer cannot consider information that you do not submit.

Certainly investment income is income. For many people investment income is their only income, and some of them live quite well on it.

Yodrak

On the I-134, q # 7, it asks for annual income. Aside from employment from a job, in this section can I include all assistance that I get from the Housing Assistance program? Do I also include my investment income? In other words, do I combine these incomes and put one amount ? Also, does one time each year energy assistance help to pay the cost of heating count as income too? Thanks for any help!
Edited by Yodrak

pushbrk, Turboguy, and LandofTreesWoman,

See 9 FAM 40.41 Public Charge Notes, N2.1 and N.2 for examples of benefits that are and are not considered "public cash assistance" for the purposes of Public Charge. See also N4.1 for consideration of receipt of public assistance with respect to both the alien and the sponsor.

Yodrak

Heating assistance, ..... NO.

..... On the surface, the OP's question about counting government assistance as income, indicates they will need a joint sponsor, unless their employment income meets the minimum requirements. Bear in mind the whole purpose of any affidavit of support is to satisfy the concern that the potential immigrant will become a public charge. This sponsor is already a public charge, so cannot demonstrate their sponsorship will help an immigrant avoid becoming a similar burden on the taxpayer.

Timeline

See 9 FAM 40.41 Public Charge Notes, N2.1 and N.2 for examples of benefits that are and are not considered "public cash assistance" for the purposes of Public Charge. See also N4.1 for consideration of receipt of public assistance with respect to both the alien and the sponsor.

Yodrak

..... On the surface, the OP's question about counting government assistance as income, indicates they will need a joint sponsor, unless their employment income meets the minimum requirements. Bear in mind the whole purpose of any affidavit of support is to satisfy the concern that the potential immigrant will become a public charge. This sponsor is already a public charge, so cannot demonstrate their sponsorship will help an immigrant avoid becoming a similar burden on the taxpayer.

Yodrak, please, where can I find the informaiton you told us about in your reply?

Timeline

Yodrak, please, where can I find this information you mentioned? Is it here on the VJ site?

Yodrak

Timeline

please excuse my dumbness, but i googled those words and cannot find it. can you help me more specifically with this? my faince's interview is in a few days and i need to send him the paperwork thanks

LandofTreesWoman,

Google - more than a good investment.

Yodrak

Yodrak, please, where can I find this information you mentioned? Is it here on the VJ site?

LandofTreesWoman,

9 FAM 40.41 is the key item. I apologize for being excessively curt.

Yodrak

please excuse my dumbness, but i googled those words and cannot find it. can you help me more specifically with this? my faince's interview is in a few days and i need to send him the paperwork thanks
LandofTreesWoman,

Google - more than a good investment.

Yodrak

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.