vanee

Why did you choose the US?

82 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've seen this question asked for VJers from everywhere, but I'm wondering what factors led Canada/US couples to decide to live in the US instead of Canada. Of course some factors to consider will be the same for all couples. But like some other countries, Canada shares with the US the same language (well, most of Canada does), a culture that's similar in many ways, and the same standard of living more or less. Most Canadians have probably travelled in the US, and we get US TV, so there's less for us to get used to. Most of us aren't deciding on the language or continent, just which side of the border to live on (and all the changes that either decision brings).

My fiance was prepared to move to Canada to be with me. But when we took the emotion out of the equation (we both love our own countries), it made more sense for me to move to the US. I'm self-employed and work at the computer, so I can continue doing the same work almost anywhere that has an Internet connection. I earn most of my income in USD already. And he has a closer connection with his family, where he lives, than I do with mine.

Since you're here at VJ, you decided to live in the US. How did you make that decision? Or if you've lived in Canada together or plan to later, how did you decide that?

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Moved because of what my wife does!! She really could not do it in Canada, thus putting her Masters degree to waste. And my job was in the Cdn Air Force, stuck out in Greenwood NS (sorry east coasters) so defiently nothing for her,lol So the decision was for me to move here (DC area) and start from square 1. Can't complaion, dont really work besides officiating hockey, and start my RN program this August. Maybe when we retire we wil move back to Canada, hard to say. Her parents do have a summer home in Newport RI, would have no problems residing there,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband has a daughter who wouldn't be able to accompany him to Canada, so that there pretty much made the choice for us. :thumbs:

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline

Good question!!

It was a tough one for me.. I lived on PEI so was Island born & raised, and have the ocean in my blood.. I was working with teens in a volenteer role and successful in my career and had many many friends..

Hubby had recently moved to CT, has no family / friends here, but his children are in GA and he tries to see them whenever possible. It was for his children that we mostly decided to stay here in the US. He needs to support them financially and in his line of work (aviation) he makes the biggest $$ here in CT, and I wanted him to be closer to his children not further.

I can visit home.. I can keep in touch, but the truth is, his children need him more right now :) I don't regret the decision one bit!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband's job is specific to an U.S. industry and his certifications are not transferrable. My skills and background are transferrable pretty much anywhere.

We've talked about moving back to Canada at some point. Not sure when, but we'd probably end up on the west coast. Would be a change for both of us since I'm from Toronto.

Edited by misa

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Timeline

We decided it would be easier for her to come live here in Arkansas since my job alone is sufficient to support us. I do like the idea of living in Canada, and I would be agreeable to moving there if I could find the same line of work with at least the same pay and benefits.

Any suggestions where I should look to find information about working in environmental or chemical engineering, goverment and/or private company?

Where ever I live I want to be with my Danielle.

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I actually left Canada to come work here on a TN before ever meeting my wife to get away from Canada. When we got married we didn't even think about it and just settled here.

My wife has mentioned she'd think it would be interesting to move there and she has no problems ever doing so. I on the other hand would never want to move back there. Visiting is just fine with me. Hence we stayed...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

wow....what a great question.

Well I'm the Canadian and moving to the USA. My hubby-to-be is a farmer, so I'd be moving there. I would honestly still be able to work in Canada as well. We live on the border.

Cheers!

Oct 1/09 - I-751 package sent

Oct 3 - package delivered

Oct 5 - NOA mailed

Oct 13 - 1st NOA received and additional letters for my daughters I filed with. NOAs stated Resident Status

has been extended for 1 year and that we will be receiving a letter for an ASC appointment for

fingerprints, photo, and signature.

Dec 2009 - Received 10 year permanent resident card.

Feb 2010 - My children received their 10 year permanent resident cards.

Oct 2010 - My children were legally adopted by my USA Citizen husband.

Interesting topic!!! For us, it was combination financial and emotional reasons to live in the US. I am originally from CT, but left to go to college when I was 17 (am now 32) and lived in several states in the U.S. Even before my hubby and I decided to get married, I had been strongly considering moving back to the Northeast to be closer to my family. I am an only child and felt that it was time to live a little closer to CT, to be able to see my parents more often. The impetus for the move to New Hampshire was that I obtained a position that allows for student loan repayment (thank god!!!!!!) So, with this position, I have a 2 year contract and have received $48000 in loan repayment. Every time I question whether we should have moved to Canada instead (my career would be transferable), the hubby reminds me of the debt that has been wiped away!

We do not know where we will live when my contract is up. The hubby really wants to move back to Georgia, where I had lived for 6 years before the move to NH and had a great network of friends. Sometimes, I think it would be nice to live in Canada near his family. Maybe we will end up loving it here and stay in NH. Who knows!!!

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

For the time being the States is the place to be for us, Sharon's parents are in thier 80s and 90s so I didn't want to take her too far from them and her children. I have only one daughter here who was asked to come to the states to be with us but she refused for her own reasons.

09/20/2006 - Sent I-129F

09/22/2006 - Received at NSC
09/28/2006 - NOA-1 (1-797C date )

10/02/2006 - Cheque cashed

10/02/2006 - NOA 1 (I-797C recieved in the mail)

12/08/2006 - NOA-2 in 79 days

12/13/2006 - NOA-2 hard copy recieved

12/26/2006 - Package recieved by NVC

12/30/2006 - Received by Montreal

01/22/2007 - Received Packet 3

04/16/2007 - Returned Packet 3

08/02/2007 - Received medical documentation

08/07/2007 - Received Interview date Aug. 9th

08/09/2007 - Received I-601 and 212 (not approved yet)

02/17/2008 - I-601 approved 212 abandoned

06/2?/2009 - New medical and passport and doc sent to Mtl

07/22/2009 - Recieved request for DS-221 and notarized letter of intent

07/31/2009 - Montreal recieves thier final requested doc.

09/01/2009 - Visa approved and mail out today

Well I'm the Canadian and moving to the USA. My hubby-to-be is a farmer, so I'd be moving there. I would honestly still be able to work in Canada as well. We live on the border

Ditto here.

Easier for me to commute to my job at the border than for him to commute to the US to farm as the port nearest our home is not a 24 hour port and doesn't make for good farming hours.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

For financial reasons -- he had a much better job (mine was great, but seasonal). We wanted to get out from under some debt and we felt me coming here would be better for us, for now. Jerry loves the area I am from, and if we never move back to Canada, we plan on buying a home there so that we have a home base whenever we go home to visit. Ideally Jerry would love to get a job were he telecommuted so we had the flexibility to go to Canada whenever we wanted.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, definitely a good question! It's interesting though, there really was no debate when it came to my fiance moving to the US.

I think a lot had to do that I am well established here in my job and I have more family here than he has family in Canada. Living in Chicagoland provides opportunity for both of us to continue to do what we love especially in the technology field. I think it also (to him) has to do with him being the man in the relationship and feels it's more appropriate to be the one that leaves his family and make that sacrifice. Obviously, that doesn't really matter, but since the beginning he's felt that that's the way to go.

I definitely admire and love him for being able to do that for me. Of course, I would get up and leave for him if it came down to it, but I can't even begin to imagine the difficulty of picking up and leaving friends and family. I admire all of you out there who are doing that too!

K1 Visa Journey

Met through an MMORPG: April 2005

Met in person: 9/23/2005

He proposed in front of Buckingham fountain: 8/20/2006

Sent I-129: 12/21/06

NOA1: 12/29/06

Touched: 3/27/06 (Happy belated bday to meee :P)

Received Email that they sent NOA2 yesterday!: 3/28/07

NOA2 in ze mail: 4/2/07

Called NVC to see if they have received the case and they haven't :( 4/13/07 and 4/19/07

NVC sent packet to MTL today! 4/24/07 (took 4 weeks from notice date)

MTL sent packet to my lawyer 5/2/07

Lawyer received Packet 3 finally! 5/17/07

Sent Packet 3 5/22/07

Now on the waiting list for an interview! 5/29/2007

Fiance gets his medical done: 7/16/07

Scheduled for Interview!: 10/24/07

Visa arrives!: 10/26/07

Fiance will be entering US: 1/18/08

Married: 2/4/08

Religious Ceremony: 4/5/08

AOS/EAD

Filling Date for AOS/EAD: 4/19/08

NOA: 5/01/08

Biometrics: 5/21/08

CSC Transfer Date 5/29/08

EAD Approved/Card Ordered 6/30/2008

EAD Card Arrived 7/11/2008

Green Card Production 7/23/2008

Removal of Conditions

Filing Date for RoC: 7/13/2010

Check Cashed: 7/15/2010

Awesome question!

Bee makes more money than I do, so it was more feasible for me to move down there - I also don't have much of a career at the moment, so I'm able to move much easier than he can. When we talked about it, we realised that it would be wiser of us to buy a house in PA rather than in Vancouver, now that the Olympics have jacked the real estate prices up. Also, his mom is not well and he wished to be closer to her in the meantime. While I come from a large extended family and love the city, I felt that the opportunities in the States were better for us overall.

Though, our running joke is that if another Republican becomes president, he's going to haul us back to Canada. :D

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband came to the States because I couldn't emigrate. I have to (unfortunately) share joint custody with my daughter's father (fondly referred to as "sperm donor") and he categorically refused in all ways possible to allow me and my daughter to move to Canada...despite the fact that he would have the whole summer with her.

When she turns 18, we'll be free of the joint custody thing and then we'll be able to move to NS. Home for him...home for me too in a way. I haven't much invested here in the States.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.